ANY ADULT FANS OF CLASSIC CARTOONS HERE?

YesVideos

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?

I don't want to hear from the teeny bopper crowd
who think Powder Puff Girls is cool.

In my posts on this NG over the years, I really haven't
seen to many that applaud the great classics from
Hannah Barbara, Filmation, Jay Ward and others.

I guess no adults post here. Can't say I blame them.
Since this NG's population of children never get it!

All the cool and fun to watch cartoons come
from the mid 60's through 1979.

After that, it's ALL CRAP!!

I'm sure I'll be hearing from the midgets (little kids)
who totally disagree with my post while they
watch another "intellectual stimulating" episode
of Dexter's Lab.

Like I care.....

Mr. I Hate 90's Crap

Ra7thSign

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
hey, Mr. "stuck in the 60's boy"...
I am over 20 and I like all good cartoons regardless of age. It is ignorant and
closed minded to say that "all 90's stuff sucks."
What if a modern cartoon turns into something special tomorrow? Just think,
when we were kids people said the same kind of shit about our generation of
cartoons and now they are beloved by thousands.
And with an attitude like yours, you don't belong on a newsgroup. Why not go
find an AOL chat or something?
Later.

YesVideos

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
I asked if there were any
adult fans of classic cartoons
and I get a response from a
20 year old child.

Beautiful.

Another NG for the waste basket....

pulgao

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
yesv...@aol.com (YesVideos) was alleged to have uttered:

>Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
>that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?

If you want to mention "classic" cartoons, you'll need to go back a
bit farther than the 60's and 70's:

Betty Boop
Superman (the 1940's Fleisher cartoons)
Anything by Warner Brothers before the mid 1960's
Pre-1950's Popeye

Sorry, but the 1970's were the complete freaking pits as far as
cartoons are concerned. The only good ones from that era that spring
immediately to mind are Fat Albert, Star Trek, and Flash Gordon (and
none of these were animated particularly well).

-- Steve Lopez

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Hangar/5176/index.html
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/chesskamikazes

fred.net

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:31:40 GMT, baays...@intrepid.net (pulgao)
wrote:

>If you want to mention "classic" cartoons, you'll need to go back a
>bit farther than the 60's and 70's:
>
>Betty Boop
>Superman (the 1940's Fleisher cartoons)
>Anything by Warner Brothers before the mid 1960's
>Pre-1950's Popeye
>
>Sorry, but the 1970's were the complete freaking pits as far as
>cartoons are concerned. The only good ones from that era that spring
>immediately to mind are Fat Albert, Star Trek, and Flash Gordon (and
>none of these were animated particularly well).
>
>-- Steve Lopez

Gotta agree with your taste Steve all great stuff... Betty's
still one of my all time favorites, and they've been posting the
Fleisher superman cartoons in the multimedia group. The modem has been
smoking....

Phasm Ranger

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
YesVideos <yesv...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I asked if there were any
> adult fans of classic cartoons
> and I get a response from a
> 20 year old child.
>
> Beautiful.

You want a mature response?

_*PLONK!*_

Well, there you go!

S.M.

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

YesVideos wrote in message <19990811175854...@ng-ff1.aol.com>...

>Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
>that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?

Oh, you mean the "DARK AGES" of cartoons

>I don't want to hear from the teeny bopper crowd
>who think Powder Puff Girls is cool.

I thought it was "Power"Puff Girls, but still, they are kinda lame (except
for Mojo Jojo)

>In my posts on this NG over the years, I really haven't
>seen to many that applaud the great classics from
>Hannah Barbara, Filmation, Jay Ward and others.

"Classics" that's stretching a bit, you must be selling that crap
somewhere, is that all you could afford the video rights to?

>I guess no adults post here. Can't say I blame them.
>Since this NG's population of children never get it!

Why so mean? We're only talking about CARTOONS here!

>All the cool and fun to watch cartoons come
>from the mid 60's through 1979.

Those are the WORST years for cartoons, You must be thinking about the 40's
and 50's.

>After that, it's ALL CRAP!!

Not all, just a lot, like Shirt Tales

>I'm sure I'll be hearing from the midgets (little kids)

I'm 25 and 6'4" and 270 pounds, don't call me a midget!

>who totally disagree with my post while they
>watch another "intellectual stimulating" episode
>of Dexter's Lab.

Dexter's Lab is the funniest damn cartoon since Ren&Stimpy, which was the
first funny cartoon in THIRTY YEARS!!!

>Like I care.....
>
>Mr. I Hate 90's Crap

And don't forget YOUR GOD, Donny Osmond, was Johnny Barvo's babysitter!

SM

S.M.

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Johnny Barvo's babysitter!

Bravo, sorry....

SM

Krusty

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
> Gotta agree with your taste Steve all great stuff... Betty's
>still one of my all time favorites, and they've been posting the
>Fleisher superman cartoons in the multimedia group. The modem has been
>smoking....

Wow I need to check that out. Anyone putting up Spiderman from the
60's? BTW, over 30 and love to watch the Fantastik 4, Speed Racer,
and the Herculoids(sp).

steven r. mills

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

S.M. wrote

> >In my posts on this NG over the years, I really haven't
> >seen to many that applaud the great classics from
> >Hannah Barbara, Filmation, Jay Ward and others.
>
> "Classics" that's stretching a bit, you must be selling that crap
> somewhere, is that all you could afford the video rights to?

actually, i have to side with him on the jay ward stuff. my dad got me
hooked on rocky and bullwinkle and dudley do-right when they went through a
revival a few years back, and jay ward's stuff has to be some of the
funniest and most intelligently written cartoons, if not the best animated.
finally, mr. Yes man has something positive to say, so i can agree with him.

sincerely yours,
steven r

who *would* know a good cartoon if it bit him on the ass. he just hasn't
been bitten by all that many.

steven r. mills

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

YesVideos wrote...

> I guess no adults post here. Can't say I blame them.
> Since this NG's population of children never get it!

i'm sure your tendency to insult the newsgroup's posters endears you to the
intelligent adult cartoon fans that lurk here.

fred.net

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
>Wow I need to check that out. Anyone putting up Spiderman from the
>60's? BTW, over 30 and love to watch the Fantastik 4, Speed Racer,
>and the Herculoids(sp).

Haven't seen anything posted on a steady basis other than the
Superman. I do recall some old Bugs Bunny not too long ago. I would
also like to have the old Fantasic 4 cartoons (with the human torch).
Over 40 here and still looking at animation of all types.....

My name is Peter Destructo. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 05:43:55 GMT, fred (fred.net) wrote:

>I would
>also like to have the old Fantasic 4 cartoons (with the human torch).

Don't ALL f4 cartoons include the Torch?

- Peter Destructo
go see the iron giant!

pulgao

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
My name is Peter Destructo. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
<ko...@softhome.net.net.net> was alleged to have uttered:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 05:43:55 GMT, fred (fred.net) wrote:
>
>>I would
>>also like to have the old Fantasic 4 cartoons (with the human torch).
>
>Don't ALL f4 cartoons include the Torch?

No. He was replaced by a "cute" robot sidekick in some 1980's cartoons
(the networks was concerned about the possibility of small children
setting themselves on fire in emulation of the Torch).

fred.net

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:17:35 GMT, My name is Peter Destructo. You
killed my father. Prepare to die. <ko...@softhome.net.net.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 05:43:55 GMT, fred (fred.net) wrote:
>
>>I would
>>also like to have the old Fantasic 4 cartoons (with the human torch).
>
>Don't ALL f4 cartoons include the Torch?
>

>- Peter Destructo
>go see the iron giant!

Nope there was a period of time when he was replaced by herbie the
robot. They felt there was too much of a chance of little kids setting
fire to themselves to be 'like the human torch' and fly and stuff. It
was one of the first P.C. things to show up in cartoons....

ScottZf

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

steven r. mills <stu...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

He intended to do that.
That's what trolls do.

steven r. mills

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

ScottZf wrote...

> He intended to do that.
> That's what trolls do.

i know. 's a weakness of mine, compassion.

steven r. mills

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

<fred (fred.net)> wrote> Nope there was a period of time when he was

replaced by herbie the
> robot. They felt there was too much of a chance of little kids setting
> fire to themselves to be 'like the human torch' and fly and stuff. It
> was one of the first P.C. things to show up in cartoons....

was herbie created specifically for the show, or did he originate from the
comics? i seem to remember herbie showing up in a few issues of the
fantastic four comic book, way back when.

--
sincerely yours,
steven r.

formerly the ranter known as "hardinger j."

pulgao

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
"steven r. mills" <stu...@frontiernet.net> was alleged to have
uttered:

>was herbie created specifically for the show, or did he originate from the

>comics? i seem to remember herbie showing up in a few issues of the
>fantastic four comic book, way back when.

I can't give exact dates, but I'm pretty sure Herbie was (briefly)
introduced in the comic *after* its appearance on TV.

My name is Peter Destructo. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:01:32 GMT, fred (fred.net) wrote:

>Nope there was a period of time when he was replaced by herbie the
>robot. They felt there was too much of a chance of little kids setting
>fire to themselves to be 'like the human torch' and fly and stuff. It
>was one of the first P.C. things to show up in cartoons....

D:

I can't believe Marvel let this one by... HERBIE THE ROBOT?! That
completely goes against the origin of the F4! (I read the first few
issues in a book o' reprints at my loc. bookstore the other day...
pretty cool stuff.)

- Peter Destructo

Gerard Motola

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
"S.J.Carras" wrote:
> YesVideos, I agree with you (I do like PowderPull and Johnny bravo,though).
>
> There is a 1960s Boomerang chanell for next spring as we write;menwhile Bugs
> and Daffy and Flintstones shorts and such will continue to rerun on Cartoon
> Network.
>
> Steve Carras
You like the 70s cartoons?

S.J.Carras

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
>Subject: ANY ADULT FANS OF CLASSIC CARTOONS HERE?
>From: yesv...@aol.com (YesVideos)
>Date: Wed, 11 August 1999 05:58 PM EDT

>Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
>that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?
>
>I don't want to hear from the teeny bopper crowd
>who think Powder Puff Girls is cool.
>
>In my posts on this NG over the years, I really haven't
>seen to many that applaud the great classics from
>Hannah Barbara, Filmation, Jay Ward and others.
>
>I guess no adults post here. Can't say I blame them.
>Since this NG's population of children never get it!
>
>All the cool and fun to watch cartoons come
>from the mid 60's through 1979.
>
>After that, it's ALL CRAP!!
>
>I'm sure I'll be hearing from the midgets (little kids)
>who totally disagree with my post while they
>watch another "intellectual stimulating" episode
>of Dexter's Lab.
>
>Like I care.....
>
>Mr. I Hate 90's Crap

YesVideos, I agree with you (I do like PowderPull and Johnny bravo,though).

There is a 1960s Boomerang chanell for next spring as we write;menwhile Bugs
and Daffy and Flintstones shorts and such will continue to rerun on Cartoon
Network.

Steve Carras
Long live America.

Long live freedom.

S.J.Carras

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
>Subject: Re: ANY ADULT FANS OF CLASSIC CARTOONS HERE?
>From: baays...@intrepid.net (pulgao)
>Date: Wed, 11 August 1999 09:31 PM EDT
>
>yesv...@aol.com (YesVideos) was alleged to have uttered:

>>Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
>>that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?
>
>If you want to mention "classic" cartoons, you'll need to go back a
>bit farther than the 60's and 70's:
>
>Betty Boop
>Superman (the 1940's Fleisher cartoons)
>Anything by Warner Brothers before the mid 1960's
>Pre-1950's Popeye
>
>Sorry, but the 1970's were the complete freaking pits as far as
>cartoons are concerned. The only good ones from that era that spring
>immediately to mind are Fat Albert,

UGH! Like Tiny Toon Advnetures, Smrufs and others that was a bunch of
PREACHINGS.

It is because this got awards that smurfs and others followd suit.YECH!

steven r. mills

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

pulgao wrote...

> >was herbie created specifically for the show, or did he originate from
the
> >comics? i seem to remember herbie showing up in a few issues of the
> >fantastic four comic book, way back when.
>
> I can't give exact dates, but I'm pretty sure Herbie was (briefly)
> introduced in the comic *after* its appearance on TV.

herbie was indeed in the book, as i've gleaned from a few sources. mr.
fantastic created him and linked his computer brain to the computers of a
dead planet, which led some super-villain to take control of the hapless
robot. i was just wondering whether the comic book herbie or the cartoon
herbie came first. somewhat related, i remember there being another
character created for tv crossing over to the comics. one of the characters
from spiderman and his amazing friends, firestar, first showed up in x-men
#196, and still appears in comics today.

Mark Ogier

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
>>From: yesv...@aol.com (YesVideos)

>>Are there any non kids (over 20) on this NG
>>that are fans of the great cartoons from the 60's and 70's?
>>I don't want to hear from the teeny bopper crowd
>>who think Powder Puff Girls is cool.

That's POWER Puff Girls, isn't it? Sorry to be pedantic...

Anyway, I am as much a fan of the 'classics' from the 70s, 60s (and you can add
50s and 40s to that as well - so long as it's Warner Bros!) as I am of some of
the new stuff on the CN.

What I find pleasing is that my seven year old son loves Scooby Doo as much as
Dexter's Lab - although I have to say that the early Scooby Doos annoyed me as
an older youngster, since I figured the Mystery Machine team should have sussed
that every time they encountered a monster or ghost it was a man in a costume!
Of course, the later (reviled) Scrappy Doo episodes began using 'real' ghosts,
which at least addressed my criticism. If only they hadn't introduced that
irritating brat of a puppy...

As for the 'modern' toons, I'm a big fan of Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo - the
former because I find it imaginative and frequently very funny, and the latter
because the character represents everything I hate about Machismo men and their
ilk. Unfortunately, my son's friend thinks that JB is cool. I guess he'll learn
as he gets older.

What impresses me about the new toons is that the same names keep on cropping up
behind the scenes. It looks as if the people creating the characters are being
allowed to develop their ideas and see them through to the end, which is more
than can be said for some other cartoons, such as Ren and Stimpy (I gather the
creator left early on in the series over 'creative differences' or some such).
Of course, it could be that the creators are being forced to churn out the
things - but the way the cartoons are made suggests that the people making them
are having a good time, which I guess is important if you are a creative type.

>>In my posts on this NG over the years, I really haven't
>>seen to many that applaud the great classics from
>>Hannah Barbara, Filmation, Jay Ward and others.

Hmm. Hong Kong Phooey, Inch High, Private Eye, Tarzan, Star Trek - the animated
series? Those are the few that spring to mind. Oh, Doctor Dolittle, Josie and
the Pussycats (in outer space, too!) Captain Caveman, and so on and so on. I
enjoyed them all. Jay Ward's not a name I remember - what was from that stable?
Possibly something that didn't get to the UK?

>>All the cool and fun to watch cartoons come
>>from the mid 60's through 1979.
>>After that, it's ALL CRAP!!

Cow and Chicken gets a bit much at times, but I enjoy a few hours in the company
of Dexter, Johnny B or Ed Edd and Eddy.
Of course, given the choice I'd opt for Tom and Jerry, Bugs and Daffy, but hey -
that's progress.
I suspect that when my son grows up, his fond memories will be of the 'new'
cartoons we're seeing now, as well as T&J, Bugs and the rest.

>>I'm sure I'll be hearing from the midgets (little kids)
>>who totally disagree with my post while they
>>watch another "intellectual stimulating" episode
>>of Dexter's Lab.

I wouldn't call Dexter's 'intellectual', although if it helps foster an interest
in science while providing off-the-wall entertainment, is that a bad thing?

Mark

pulgao

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
mog...@guernsey.net (Mark Ogier) was alleged to have uttered:

>Jay Ward's not a name I remember - what was from that stable?
>Possibly something that didn't get to the UK?

Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Jacob Gilbert

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
YesVideos is a close minded moron. Anyway.....

I grew up in the 60's & 70's, and I've seen a lot of the toons from
those eras in syndication via local stations & cable through the years.

What was cool in the 60s:

Hanna-Barbera's iconic series (Flintstones, Space Ghost, Scooby-Doo) aside,
I was diggin' the original Spider-Man toons and Filmation's take on the DC
heroes (Superman, then Aquaman, then Batman). Space Angel was around during
this time, and the local channel that aired the show never ran the closing
credits completely. And, then, there was this little thing called Courageous
Cat that was a syndie staple into the 80's, most recently on Nickelodeon's
now-
defunct Weinerville. It was a takeoff on Batman, and done right, because CC
& Batman
shared the same creator---Bob Kane. The diff, natch, was that CC & Minute
Mouse
didn't have secret identities.

We top off the salute to the 60s with Underdog & George of the Jungle. (Face
it, for me,
Bullwinkle got old in a hurry) Underdog was an excellent parody of Superman
(and
with Wally Cox as the voice of Underdog. Cool!) George was a satire of
Tarzan, and it can
be safely suggested that Tom Slick was a sendup of Speed Racer.

The 70's:

HB offered up the Super Friends as their only lasting franchise of the
decade. The original
series (1973) got preachy and old fast. Lame animation and tight budgeting
(cast members doing
multiple voice roles) also hurt. When the series was revamped in 1977 and
every year after that,
then it got a little more interesting. What do some people have against
Scrappy-Doo, intro'd in '79?
He was the ANTITHESIS of his uncle Scooby in that he was everything Scooby
really wasn't. I just read
a newspaper article (and, damn it, I threw the paper away before I could
decide to locate the address
of the Chicago Tribune, where the story first appeared) that blasted Scrappy
for no apparent reason,
other than as an excuse to suggest that toddlers shouldn't watch TV. Lame.
HB picked up Popeye, then
messed him up 3-4 years later. Filmation gave us Fat Albert, Flash Gordon,
Tarzan, Star Trek, but all had
repetitive stock footage. The original Sabrina cartoons were in the early
70's, and with Sabrina about
to return to toonage next month, maybe the originals will be on video?

Later.

J. C. Gilbert

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

steven r. mills

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
funny that you should mention ren and stimpy and johnny bravo in the same
breath, as i believe johnny bravo's creator, van partible, is no longer
involved in the production of the show. whether it was creative differences
(as with kricfalucy and R&S) or interest in pursuing new projects (like joel
hodgson, creator and original host of the late, lamented MST3K), i hope
someone in the group can fill in the blanks for us.

Mark Ogier wrote...

pulgao

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
hobb...@hotmail.com (Jacob Gilbert) was alleged to have uttered:

>Hanna-Barbera's iconic series (Flintstones, Space Ghost, Scooby-Doo) aside,

I neglected to mention SG on my list of good 60's and 70's cartoons. I
also enjoyed the Herculoids. It's not exactly *good*, but it is
*different* <VBG>

I also must confess a fondness for Thundarr cartoons.

>I was diggin' the original Spider-Man toons and Filmation's take on the DC

>heroes (Superman, then Aquaman, then Batman).

I'd forgotten about the DC cartoons. I loved them as a kid, but
compared to the current Batman/Superman cartoons, they fall pretty
flat.

> most recently on Nickelodeon's
>now-

>defunct Weinerville.

Ah, now *there* was a great show! I hated the cartoons, but the
schtick was marvelous!

>George was a satire of
>Tarzan, and it can

>be safely suggested that Tom Slick was a sendup of Speed Racer.

I wasn't a big fan of the show until CN reran it a couple of years
ago. There were a few funny George cartoons, one or two Tom Slicks
that I liked, but Super Chicken was always hilarious (the ongoing puns
on the word "supervision" were classics)

> Filmation gave us Fat Albert, Flash Gordon,
>Tarzan, Star Trek, but all had

>repetitive stock footage.

The saving grace of these was the writing. The insults between Russell
and Rudy in Fat Albert were often pretty funny. Star Trek was a *very*
well-written show (though the animation was the usual static Filmation
fare, and I'm not a big fan of pre-TNG Star Trek), and the first
season of Flash Gordon was absolutely *brilliant* IMHO (as I indicated
in a previous post).

As always, your mileage may vary.

steven r. mills

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

pulgao wrote...

> I also must confess a fondness for Thundarr cartoons.

i don't know if that qualifies as something you have to confess. for its
time, thundarr was a pretty good show, especially when you stack it up
against similar sci-fi/fantasy fare of the era, like the galaxy trio or
herculoids. i always liked it because they had a fairly intricate world for
thundarr to explore. it was an unique (in my experience) take on the whole
post-apocalyptic world concept, and was realised in rather extensive detail.
even now, on the rare occasion that i catch a rerun (when *does* CN run it,
if at all?) my interest lasts far beyond the usual nostalgia and curiosity
that limits my tolerance for older, less sophisticated (or less blatantly
entertaining, to be honest) fare. i'll watch ten minutes of birdman or
herculoids for a laugh, but if there's a full episode of thundarr, i usually
sit down for the whole thing.

TV...@webtv.net

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
I'm not completely sure, but before there was a first Sabrina cartoon
series, didn't Sabrina appear in some episodes of the original "Archies"
cartoon series? If so, those episodes might have showed up on the
Odyssey channel, or might again.

"When you're walking down that long lonely kielbasa road of life...."
---- The Ghoul

pulgao

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
"steven r. mills" <stu...@frontiernet.net> was alleged to have
uttered:

>(when *does* CN run it,
>if at all?)

I used to see it occasionally by accident on Saturday afternoons (part
of one of CN's three-hour mishmashes of various adventure toons), but
that's been a while ago.

V. Star

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
steven r. mills <stu...@frontiernet.net> wrote in article
<7p8d8g$1s38$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>...

> one of the characters from spiderman and his
> amazing friends, firestar, first showed up in x-men
> #196, and still appears in comics today.

Sorry, steven, Firestar first appeared in X-Men # 193, published sometime
in late winter 1985. The first issue of the four-issue Firestar mini-series
appeared much later, around November of that year. But the cartoon show
SPIDERMAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS (title?) had already been on NBC (if I
remember the broadcasting network correctly) for a small number of years.

Interestingly, Firestar first appeared as a servant to the White Queen,
unwittingly doing the bad lady's evil bidding. In the Marvel Comics
Universe, she was younger than some of THE NEW MUTANTS, and far younger
than Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spiderman. The X-Men soon realized young Angela
was an innocent pawn in the Hellfire Club's schemes, but it was awhile
before Angela left the services of the White Queen. Check out the 1985
Firestar mini-series for all the complex details.

I haven't followed the X-Men since 1990, but it would seem Firestar still
doesn't get too many appearances in comics these days--somebody in this
newsgroup can let me know if I'm wrong. The White Queen has since reformed
her evil ways and joined the X-Men. She is now a loving mother-figure to
the young super-heroes that comprise Generation-X. That's enough irony to
satisfy any hard-core mutant fan.

vxpmrz3

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <7pasn1$1qqu$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>,
"steven r. mills" <stu...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> (when *does* CN run it,if at all?)

Currently, not at all. I think someone is punishing me.

--
Ash: Klaatu borada n... Necktie... Nickel... It's
an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

bos...@aux.com

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
V. Star <vs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

: I haven't followed the X-Men since 1990, but it would seem Firestar still

: doesn't get too many appearances in comics these days--somebody in this
: newsgroup can let me know if I'm wrong.

I believe she's an Avenger now.

--
"We need your fax number in order to respect your wishes not to receive
faxes."

Jacob Gilbert

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Clarification:

1. Firestar's comics debut was actually in a 1-shot adaptation of the series
premiere of
"Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends", cover dated December 1981, released in
September that year,
coincidentally around the same week that the series itself debuted on NBC.

2. Her Marvel Universe debut was in the 1985 miniseries that's been
mentioned in this thread, but
is now relatively hard to find in some corners of the country. I had this at
one time, and I thought
the definition of a mutant, as explained in the first issue (if you had a
letter M form on your palm you
were a mutant) was pathetic.

3. After being liberated from the then-evil White Queen, Firestar later
joined up with the New Warriors, married
teammate Justice, and both are now in the Avengers. Sadly, Marvel, Fox, &
Saban have not bothered to use her in the
new Avengers toon debuting next month. Then again, the designs that have
been shown in the press look horrid, so maybe
it's just as well.

Hope this answers all questions now and after.

Ramso

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
bos...@aux.com did so declair:

>: I haven't followed the X-Men since 1990, but it would seem Firestar still
>: doesn't get too many appearances in comics these days--somebody in this
>: newsgroup can let me know if I'm wrong.

> I believe she's an Avenger now.

Nope, he's right. She's the headmistress of Generation X. Issue 56 just came
in my mailbox. :)
--
"I don't know the meaning of the word surrender! I mean, I know it, I'm not
dumb... just not in this context."- The Tick

steven r. mills

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Ramso wrote...

> bos...@aux.com did so declair:
> >: I haven't followed the X-Men since 1990, but it would seem Firestar
still
> >: doesn't get too many appearances in comics these days--somebody in this
> >: newsgroup can let me know if I'm wrong.
>
> > I believe she's an Avenger now.
>
> Nope, he's right. She's the headmistress of Generation X. Issue 56 just
came
> in my mailbox. :)

to quote hawkeye, "whaaa--?!" but, but, but.... she was just in an issue
of the avengers.... where the wrecking crew (implausibly enough) trashes
earth's mightiest heroes. are we talking about the same firestar, or has
something wacky happened in the last few months? firestar has had little to
no connection to the x-men past her premier in their book, and her
involvement as the white queen's would be personal assasin. she laid low
for a while after leaving the Massachusetts academy, until she was recruited
by the new warriors, where she met marvel boy/justice, who was the catalyst
for her joining the avengers. so what has happened to her since then?

V. Star

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I think Ramso just read the thread wrong.

Firestar is a reserve member of the Avengers or something like that and
Emma Frost (the former White Queen) is the headmistress that oversees
Generation-X.

vxpmrz3

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <m_ku3.4208$001.2058624@WReNphoon3>,
hobb...@hotmail.com (Jacob Gilbert) wrote:

> I thought the definition of a mutant, as explained in the first issue
>(if you had a letter M form on your palm you were a mutant) was
> pathetic.

Someone actually wrote that? LOL! You're right, that is preposterous.

V. Star

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Jacob Gilbert provided much information
in article <m_ku3.4208$001.2058624@WReNphoon3>...
including:
> 2. Her Marvel Universe debut was in the 1985
> miniseries that's been mentioned in this thread...
>...I thought the definition of a mutant, as explained
> in the first issue (if you had a letter M form on
> your palm you were a mutant) was pathetic.

Thanks for the info, Jacob.

Technically you are correct about Firestar's Marvel Universe debut. The
mini-series did appear several months after the publication of THE UNCANNY
X-MEN # 193, as I had mentioned in my previous post; but the story in the
first two issues of this series did take place before the pivotal events of
X-Men # 193, and the last two issues took place afterwards, providing
details on how Firestar left the White Queen's employ.

Regarding the plot device that having a letter M form on your palm
signified you were a mutant: I don't think the "M on the palm" was ever a
standard Marvel Universe rule. If I remember the story from the mini-series
correctly, this was something the White Queen told the young Angela as she
tried to convince the girl to attend the Massachusetts Academy. It was a
deceitful tactic, perhaps meant to persuade the young girl and her father
that Ms.Frost was indeed caring and knowledgeable, and could really take
good care of mutants like Angela. But if you look at your own palm you will
see that you have an M in there. I do. Maybe you and I are mutants? ;-)

S.J.Carras

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
>Subject: Re: ANY ADULT FANS OF CLASSIC CARTOONS HERE?
>From: baays...@intrepid.net (pulgao)
>Date: Mon, 16 August 1999 11:12 PM EDT

>hobb...@hotmail.com (Jacob Gilbert) was alleged to have uttered:
>

>>Hanna-Barbera's iconic series (Flintstones, Space Ghost, Scooby-Doo) aside,
>
>I neglected to mention SG on my list of good 60's and 70's cartoons. I
>also enjoyed the Herculoids. It's not exactly *good*, but it is
>*different* <VBG>
>
>I also must confess a fondness for Thundarr cartoons.
>
>>I was diggin' the original Spider-Man toons and Filmation's take on the DC
>
>>heroes (Superman, then Aquaman, then Batman).
>
>I'd forgotten about the DC cartoons. I loved them as a kid, but
>compared to the current Batman/Superman cartoons, they fall pretty
>flat.
>

>> most recently on Nickelodeon's
>>now-
>
>>defunct Weinerville.
>
>Ah, now *there* was a great show! I hated the cartoons, but the
>schtick was marvelous!
>
>>George was a satire of
>>Tarzan, and it can
>
>>be safely suggested that Tom Slick was a sendup of Speed Racer.

Except Speed Racer and Tom Slick BOTH came out simulatenously (in 1967 and then
it ws not until 1971 or so when SR got syndicated that it really took off.)

vxpmrz3

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <01bee934$be30e840$9d4f...@nb.net.nb.net>,
"V. Star" <vs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> If I remember the story from the mini-series correctly, this was
>something the White Queen told the young Angela as she
> tried to convince the girl to attend the Massachusetts Academy. It
>was a deceitful tactic, perhaps meant to persuade the young girl and
>her father that Ms.Frost was indeed caring and knowledgeable, and
>could really take good care of mutants like Angela.

In that case, the pathetic nature of it is less objectionable.

>But if you look at your own palm you will see that you have an M in
>there. I do. Maybe you and I are mutants? ;-)

I don't see any M on my palms.. V's, an A, an H, a couple of X's,
some Y's..(interpreting things liberally anyway), but no M's.

Ramso

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
V. Star wrote in message <01bee931$b03cda80$9d4f...@nb.net.nb.net>...

You're right. I just reread the thread and then got to your message after
almost posting the exact same thing. Sorry everybody.

steven r. mills

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
for some reason, v. star's initial correction post didn't hit my news
server, so i have to reply to the reply to the reply. anyway, his reply to
me originally was:

> Sorry, steven, Firestar first appeared in X-Men # 193, published sometime
in late winter 1985. The first issue of the > four-issue Firestar
mini-series appeared much later, around November of that year. But the
cartoon show SPIDERMAN
> AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS (title?) had already been on NBC (if I remember
the broadcasting network correctly) for a > small number of years.

i know. i grew up watching the cartoon, and later acquired both the
firestar limited series and her initial appearance in x-men, after becoming
a fan of the new warriors.

> I haven't followed the X-Men since 1990, but it would seem Firestar still
doesn't get too many appearances in comics

> these days--somebody in this newsgroup can let me know if I'm wrong. The

White Queen has since reformed her evil ways > and joined the X-Men. She is
now a loving mother-figure to the young super-heroes that comprise
Generation-X. That's
> enough irony to satisfy any hard-core mutant fan.

i finally understand the whole confusion about firestar's current
affiliation, having read the original post. ramso got firestar and the
white queen mixed up, which threw me for a loop. as far as firestar's
history, aside from the one appearance in x-men and the mini-series, she
never had any more associations with the mutant books until the '90's, with
the "kings of pain" crossover that ran through the mutant annuals that year,
as well as new warriors annual #1. after her mini-series, she was promptly
shuffled off into marvel limbo, until 1990, when she popped up in thor #411
and #412, which, strangely enough, was her first appearance with her new
team, the new warriors, but took place after the events of new warriors #1,
much akin to her original debut in 1985. anyway, she became a founding
member of the new warriors, which originally started out as a book of
nobodies and second stringers. the original line-up was basically marvel's
leftover teen characters: marvel boy (vance astrovik, whose life diverged
from that of vance astro, his thousand year old counterpart and a member of
the guardians of the galaxy); namorita, cousin to the sub-mariner and former
annoying kid sidekick to the same; nova, a modestly popular character from
the seventies, whose first book folded after 25 issues; and speedball, a
failed attempt to revive steve ditko's career with a spidey-esque character
(in terms of psychological life, anyway) in the eighties, whose book died
after a mere ten issues. later on, they continued the tradition of giving
new life to old characters, when they recruited dagger (as in cloak and),
powerpax/powerhouse (alex power, formerly of power pack), and turbo,
actually two people who used a suit of armour either based on or actually
reconstructed from the armour of the torpedo, a character from the
now-forgotten book rom. despite their second-string statuses, the book's
writer, fabian nicieza, was quite talented, and gave the motley crew a life
and cohesiveness that led to a fairly strong following which sustained the
book for six or seven years, as well as solo projects for various members
(the third series of nova being the most recent to spring to mind, which is
horribly written by erik larsen, former artist of amazing spider-man and
creator of the savage dragon). i'm not entirely sure as to when new warriors
ended, as i quit reading about a year before nicieza quit, sometime after
issue #50. the book staggered around for a year or two after that until its
cancellation. after that, firestar briefly went back to limbo, until she
and marvel boy (now calling himself justice) became reserve avengers, and
were upgraded to active members after they dispatched whirlwind in the
aftermath of the "heroes reborn" saga. as i mentioned before, her most
recent appearance i'm aware of is an issue of the avengers where the
wrecking crew beats the crud out of the team.

now, for the recent commentary.

V. Star wrote...

> Technically you are correct about Firestar's Marvel Universe debut. The
> mini-series did appear several months after the publication of THE UNCANNY
> X-MEN # 193, as I had mentioned in my previous post; but the story in the
> first two issues of this series did take place before the pivotal events
of
> X-Men # 193, and the last two issues took place afterwards, providing
> details on how Firestar left the White Queen's employ.

i just got the number wrong. i said 196, and it was 193. i should have
gotten out my copy and checked. x-men 193, where james proudstar (later
known as warpath), member of the hellions and the brother of the original
thunderbird, tries to take revenge on professor x for the death of his
brother in x-men 93, is listed as published in may of 1985 (as listed in the
copyright info on page one), and firestar #1 was march of 1986. of course,
you have to bear in mind that the dates on marvel books were somewhat askew,
until 1990, when they simply dated all of their books one month ahead of the
publication date (the issue on the stands for june would be dated july, for
example), but it gives one a general idea of which came first.

> Regarding the plot device that having a letter M form on your palm
> signified you were a mutant: I don't think the "M on the palm" was ever a
> standard Marvel Universe rule.

it never was, but the writer, tom defalco (an abomination to all fans of
marvel books, IMHO), suggested in the series that it held true for all
mutants, as in firestar #2, the new mutant cannonball also has an m on his
palm. in any case, i heartily agree that it was quite the lame plot device.

V. Star

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
1985 was a great year for the X-Men. Issue # 193 was the hundredth issue to
feature the all-new, all-different, all-exciting X-Men (Storm,
Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Colossus having joined the team, among others,
in X-Men # 94). It was a great issue to introduce Firestar who had already
been given an X-Men association in the cartoon series SPIDERMAN AND HIS
AMAZING FRIENDS four years earlier, but was never seen in the Marvel
Universe comic books (aside from the one-shot as mentioned by Jacob
Gilbert) until X-Men # 193. Writer Chris Claremont did such a good job of
causing you to realize you were meeting this character for the very first
time, and jeepers, he and artist John Romita Jr. did such an outstanding
job of making this character so very kind, bright, loving and extremely
likable, even though she was a servant of the White Queen during this major
storyline.

And only a handful of months later, out came X-Men # 200, THE TRIAL OF
MAGNETO, which like issue # 193 before it was double-sized. What a great
year for mutant fans!

Now I better stop discussing the X-Men here in this newsgroup since it's
not the Fox-Network newsgroup, ha ha! But thanks everybody for such a fun
trip down memory lane! :-)

Mark Ogier

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
hobb...@hotmail.com (Jacob Gilbert) wrote:

>YesVideos is a close minded moron. Anyway.....

He's certainly been pretty quiet in this thread since posting the first message.
I always was hopeless at spotting 'trolls'...

>I grew up in the 60's & 70's, and I've seen a lot of the toons from
>those eras in syndication via local stations & cable through the years.

<Huge list edited!>

Living in the UK, we missed many of the shows you mentioned. I was always amazed
to see the lineup for Saturday morning TV listed in American comics - and
wondered why we had Swap Shop and Tiswas! (not that there was anything wrong
with either, just that they didn't show many toons!)

I do remember the early Spiderman cartoons, which were sometimes shown, as being
very primitive efforts, so perhaps if the others were as poor as this, we didn't
miss much.

Mark

Mark Ogier

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
"steven r. mills" <stu...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>funny that you should mention ren and stimpy and johnny bravo in the same
>breath, as i believe johnny bravo's creator, van partible, is no longer
>involved in the production of the show. whether it was creative differences
>(as with kricfalucy and R&S) or interest in pursuing new projects (like joel
>hodgson, creator and original host of the late, lamented MST3K), i hope
>someone in the group can fill in the blanks for us.

This is news to me - but I tend to see a lot more of The Power Puff Girls,
Dexter, Weasel and others than JB. I'd be interested to know myself what
happened. Certainly, from the episodes I have seen there doesn't seem to have
been that much of a change in JB over the series.

Then again, it did take a while for him to make it from 'World Premier Toons' to
full fledged series (not as long as the PP girls, though). Perhaps the creator
left before the series was commissioned?

Mark

myob...@my-deja.com

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Well actually both of you are right. The comment to the over 20's was a
bit off.

There are plenty of people over
20 who watch cartoon network. The point is more that Cartoon network is
beating to DEATH their Cartoon Cartoon product. They've got 40 years of
good to excellent product and focus on the last two years. I'm sure
that CN is making a TON of money off Dexter, Cow & Chicken etc, but they
are BEATING THE SHOWING OF THAT PRODUCT TO DEATH. How would you like an
all Seinfeld network or all Two Guys a Girl etc network. It'd be fun
for a while, but awfully wearing after a while.

I like Dexter, but not 6 hours a day give me a break. Obviously the
fools programming CN don't agree or they wouldn't do it. The only way
any programming ever changes is if you write to them, or better hope
their ratings stink so that the programmer says "duh" that's NOT
WORKING.

In article <19990811185942...@ng-fe1.aol.com>,
ra7t...@aol.com (Ra7thSign) wrote:
> hey, Mr. "stuck in the 60's boy"...
> I am over 20 and I like all good cartoons regardless of age. It is
ignorant and > closed minded to say that "all 90's stuff sucks."
> What if a modern cartoon turns into something special tomorrow? Just
think, > when we were kids people said the same kind of shit about our
generation of > cartoons and now they are beloved by thousands.
> And with an attitude like yours, you don't belong on a newsgroup. Why
not go
> find an AOL chat or something?
> Later.

vxpmrz3

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
In article <7pp20t$bhj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
myob...@my-deja.com wrote:

> There are plenty of people over 20 who watch cartoon network. The
>point is more that Cartoon network is beating to DEATH their Cartoon
>Cartoon product. They've got 40 years of good to excellent product and
>focus on the last two years. I'm sure that CN is making a TON of
>money off Dexter, Cow & Chicken etc, but they are BEATING THE SHOWING
>OF THAT PRODUCT TO DEATH.

Perhaps that's the plan? ;)

> How would you like an all Seinfeld network or all Two Guys a Girl etc
>network. It'd be fun for a while, but awfully wearing after a while.

> I like Dexter, but not 6 hours a day give me a break. Obviously the
> fools programming CN don't agree or they wouldn't do it.

? Um, but they don't do it. Not 6 hours a day anyway. Unless you
could this weekend, which is a publicity stunt, and fits under the
"fun for a while" category, IYAM. Or did you mean to refer to
the "Cartoon Cartoons" as a whole?

> The only way any programming ever changes is if you write to them, or
> better hope their ratings stink so that the programmer says "duh"
> that's NOT WORKING.

Well, there are other ways for the programming to change, but that's
substantially correct.

--
Ash: Klaatu borada n... Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's defi

At the last station they bought, the eliminated half and half and made e

myob...@my-deja.com

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Regarding my original message complaining about Cartoon network beating
Dexter et al to death.
Well that's a relief, I thought I'd have to deal with cow and chicken
every weekend until the cows came home (really bad <g>)

Actually I still think they over play the cartoon cartoon stuff, but
ratings will untimately tell the tale. I think that the old stuff (from
Underdog to Superfriends to Thundarr etc etc) should be on, but who the
heck ever listens to viewers.

It's time warner the new version of "They don't care they don't have to"

steven r. mills

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99

<myobfool wrote...

I think that the old stuff (from
> Underdog to Superfriends to Thundarr etc etc) should be on, but who the
> heck ever listens to viewers.

amen to all of that. cn's programmers just don't seem to grasp the idea of
"moderation", between cartoon cartoons and scooby. i thought the whole idea
of "rotation" was to give some of the older material time off so it would
return fresh to the audience. personally, i would kill to see thundarr
reruns again, not to mention superfriends (in its entireity, including
galactic guardians). both of those were staples of my childhood, and fairly
good cartoons, to boot (well, at least in the case of thundarr and the later
SF). another thing that bothers me the most is that they incessantly run CC
promos DURING cartoon cartoons. i watched the PPG block last night, and i
think i saw perhaps four real commercials. they already have us hooked,
yes? so why bother to continue to hype it? between all the promos and the
intro pieces, it's pretty well saturated, and most likely at a group of
viewers who watch it anyway.

vxpmrz3

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
In article <7pplre$vq4$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>,

"steven r. mills" <stu...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> amen to all of that. cn's programmers just don't seem to grasp the
>idea of "moderation", between cartoon cartoons and scooby.

Not well enough anyway.

> i thought the whole idea of "rotation" was to give some of the older
>material time off so it would return fresh to the audience.

It is oblivion city man, that's all it is.

>personally, i would kill to see thundarr reruns again, not to mention
>superfriends (in its entireity, including galactic guardians).

Well, I'm told on good authority, that it is Mr. <fnord> who is holding
out against Thundarr so if you'll..

>another thing that bothers me the most is that they incessantly run CC
> promos DURING cartoon cartoons.

At least it's not feminine hygienge. Or those damn annoying anti
smoking spots. Gah. I'm almost tempted to start smoking just to
piss the people off.

> i watched the PPG block last night, and i think i saw perhaps four
>real commercials. they already have us hooked, yes? so why bother to
>continue to hype it? between all the promos and the intro pieces,
>it's pretty well saturated, and most likely at a group of
> viewers who watch it anyway.

Maybe they can't sell the spots? No, that's not likely.

--

At the last station they bought, the eliminated Half
and Half and made everyone else eat Cold Cuts.

vxpmrz3

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
In article <7ppadb$gsp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
myob...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Well that's a relief, I thought I'd have to deal with cow and chicken
> every weekend until the cows came home (really bad <g>)

Just asking for either accuracy in complaints...or total exaggeration.
Either one will do.

> Actually I still think they over play the cartoon cartoon stuff, but
> ratings will untimately tell the tale.

Well, I know I would prefer to see some other things, but I don't know
if they should play what I want or not.

> I think that the old stuff (from Underdog to Superfriends to Thundarr
>etc etc) should be on, but who the heck ever listens to viewers.

Not enough of the television networks, that's who.