Amy Acker

David

Feb 2, 2012, 5:15:40 PM2/2/12
From Feb 6 - 19 issue of TV Guide

Attack of the Spiderwoman

She's a serial killer with a secret. Sci-fi fave Amy Acker guest stars
on the Feb 10 episode of NBC's fairy-tale cop drama 'Grimm' as a spiderwoman
who seduces and slays a string of men by sucking out their organs and
leaving their bodies mummified. Don't be looking for some feminist statement
here. "This is not one of those revenge-against-men-type stories," Amy says.
"She's a black widow who is facing a very difficult inner struggle. She's
doing what she must to survive."
To attract her victims, the character goes undercover in various hot
disguises, then when it's time to do the nasty, suddenly sports fangs, extra
arms and lots of body hair.

http://daviderl.com/AmyAcker.html .
http://daviderl31.blogspot.com/

Slayah

Feb 6, 2012, 3:21:04 PM2/6/12
That is perfect casting!

David

Feb 10, 2012, 7:03:10 PM2/10/12
Amy Acker, known for portraying a sweet egghead who was enslaved on Joss
Whedon's vampire-detective series Angel, won't be playing the victim on
Friday's Grimm (9/8c, NBC).

In "Tarantella," Acker plays Lena, an alluring woman who happens to be a
deadly black widow-type of creature, or in Grimm-speak, a Spinnetod. "It's a
spider-creature who, in order to survive, has to sacrifice or eat three men
every five years," the actress tells TVGuide.com.

Working on Grimm reunited Acker with Angel executive producer David
Greenwalt. "I was excited that he was back doing something else again," she
says. "And I just loved the whole concept of the fairy tales, the Grimm
tales and detectives. It was something that when we were looking at all the
new shows, I was like, 'I want to watch that one.' I was excited for this
role because it seemed like it was going to be just a real challenge and it
was going to be something that I definitely hadn't done before."

Q: What can you tell us about Lena and her need to kill men?
Amy Acker: That was what was interesting about playing this part is that you
really, you kind of struggle with her as to what the right thing for her to
do is. She's doing the wrong thing, but at the same time, it's kind of like,
there's not another choice.

Q: She's not like Monroe, the Blutbad, who can become a vegetarian and
still survive. Can't they develop a dietary substitute for Spinnetods, like
the blood substitute that was developed for vampires on True Blood?
Acker: Exactly. I feel like they need like a doctor who can help them solve
all these people's problems. Maybe they should bring my character back to
help solve this problem.

Q: Were there discussions about how she chose her victims, so that at
least she chose bad people, as the serial killer does in Dexter?
Acker: There weren't, but it seemed to me like she chose people that, she
felt like maybe there was something about them that made it easier to do
what she had to do.

Q: What did you think about Lena's different disguises — like that great
fedora — that she used to pick up men?
Acker: That was what I called David Greenwalt about first: Is this just her,
and she's in disguise? Or does she have to become someone else in order to
do what she needs to do? He was like, "I think it's somewhere in the
middle." He would kind of let me play around with it, so I kind of took the
idea that it's not like she's a totally different person, but it was easier
to do what she needed to do when she wasn't seeing herself doing it... Who
knew a hat could be so important?

Q: Can you describe the practical makeup effects you had to deal with to
play the Spinnetod?
Acker: It was interesting because I've done lots of shows with really big
makeup effects, but I've always been the one watching the people getting it
on while I'm done. I don't know that I had enough sympathy for the people;
it's a long process. I would say I was in the chair between two and three
hours. It's not as easy as it looks, but it was really fun to see how they
pull this piece of, whatever it's made of, from a piece of plaster on your
face and watching it transform over two hours. It's amazing how talented the
people are.

Q: How did it feel to have all that makeup on you?
Acker: The weirdest part of the spider makeup was actually the arm pieces.
They were saying that usually when people have hands that they're kind of
big gloves, and these were skintight. So I was like, "Is it normal not to
have circulation in your hands?" And they're like, "We'll loosen that a
little bit." But it looked so cool, and once you put it on, you're like,
"OK, this is who the character is." It was fun because I was sending text
messages home to my husband and kids. He's like, "You realize its bedtime
and you're totally terrifying our children."

Q: We see from the promo that there a few action scenes, like when Lena
climbs up a pole. How many of these scenes did you do yourself?
Acker: I got to do a good amount of the fighting here, but because of all of
the makeup, there were some scenes that I was like, "You know, I think since
I can't see or hold on, I'll let the professional do it."

Q: Your career got a kick start by working with Joss Whedon on Angel, and
you got back together with him for the upcoming film The Cabin in the Woods.
What can you tell us about your character?
Acker: I don't know that I can tell you much about it. Everything I do is
like a secret, I guess. But I did see it this weekend for the first time,
and I loved it. I didn't really know what to expect, and I was in it. It's
so original and different. They did a great job. I was scared. There was
some screaming.

Q: You also worked on Whedon's adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. How
was it working with other stars from the Whedon universe, like Nathan
Fillion and Alexis Denisof?
Acker: There was pretty much all of the favorite people there. It was nice.
It was just like hanging out with a lot of old friends. I play Beatrice, and
unfortunately Beatrice and [Fillion's character] Dogberry don't have one
scene together, but I got to see him in passing, but Alexis Denisof was
Benedick, so that was a mini-Angel reunion.

Q: The sci-fi and fantasy fandom has embraced you. Do you enjoy watching
those genres?
Acker: I do. I watch Grimm and Once Upon a Time. I like both of those shows,
and we watch True Blood. Those are the shows for me that are fun to watch,
because I like that part of escapism, and I think the acting is really fun
to watch, and those are the characters I like to play.

Q: It sounds like you might have trouble watching horror movies though,
judging by your reaction to The Cabin in the Woods.
Acker: I'm sort of a wimp, but I'm getting better. I'm trying to like them.
I feel like all of my friends and people keep being in them, so I keep
having to watch them.

Q: You've done Grimm and will also make a guest appearance on Once Upon a
Time later this month. Do you enjoy fairy tales? Does one stand out for you
from childhood?
Acker: I made all my brothers and sisters do The Little Mermaid. I was
directing. My sister, Rachel, was the Little Mermaid, and my sister, Shelly,
is still mad at me because I made her be Ursula. She still holds that over
my head. I was playing Sebastian and every other part.

**'The Once Upon a Time' episode Amy is in is called 'Dreamy' - no
air date that I can find, but it's the 14 th episode of the season.

Captain Infinity

Feb 10, 2012, 7:40:07 PM2/10/12
Once Upon A Time,
Amy Acker said:

>was what was interesting about playing this part is that you
>really, you kind of struggle with her as to what the right thing for her to
>do is. She's doing the wrong thing, but at the same time, it's kind of like,
>there's not another choice.

How can there possibly be a struggle? You speak the words the writer writes
for you. You perform the actions the director commands. You're just an
actress. Shut the heck up, turn off your brain and do what you're told.

**
Captain Infinity

Arbitrar Of Quality

Feb 12, 2012, 12:57:31 AM2/12/12
"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in message
Indeed. The truly great actors make no attempt to connect with their
characters or put themselves in an appropriate headspace. They simply act
as parrots for the writer and director, doing nothing to in any way add
anything to the part.

-AOQ
~this is the strategy pioneered by Cary Grant~

David

Feb 12, 2012, 8:30:35 AM2/12/12

"Arbitrar Of Quality" wrote in message news:jh7kck$fjn$2...@dont-email.me...
I always wondered about that.
In one of the video commentaries of Xena, Lucy was saying that she
now would play a certain scene differently.
If the director directs the actors - how could she do something
different?

Horace LaBadie

Feb 12, 2012, 9:28:09 AM2/12/12
In article <jh8ets$858$1...@dont-email.me>, "David" <david...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Most shows and movies are shot out of sequence, so the director is
responsible for keeping the actor aware of what he or she needs to do in
a particular scene. The actor is usually savvy enough to be able to make
suggestions how the scene could be better. If the director wants
angrier, there are different ways of showing anger. I've heard actors
and directors talk about being surprised by something that the actor did
extempore that turned out to be so much better than everything they had
discussed.

Marc Espie

Feb 12, 2012, 10:14:31 AM2/12/12
In article <02ebj7hrh573ad891...@4ax.com>,
Yeah, tell that to Richard Dean Anderson or Ben Browder...

Marc Espie

Feb 12, 2012, 10:19:54 AM2/12/12
In article <hwlabadiejr-72E2...@newsfeed.aioe.org>,
Horace LaBadie <hwlab...@nospam.highstream.net> wrote:
>Most shows and movies are shot out of sequence, so the director is
>responsible for keeping the actor aware of what he or she needs to do in
>a particular scene. The actor is usually savvy enough to be able to make
>suggestions how the scene could be better. If the director wants
>angrier, there are different ways of showing anger. I've heard actors
>and directors talk about being surprised by something that the actor did
>extempore that turned out to be so much better than everything they had
>discussed.

Listening to movie/series commentaries can be an interesting experience.

I don't have the name off-hand, but I remember a director having nothing
but praise for a particular actor, saying that he could do 15 takes of
the same scene, and said actor would have something different to do
each time.

Or listen to Roddy McDowell reminiscing about Kubrick, and _a clockwork
orange_, to find out how much of the character comes from a *huge* feedback
loop between the two.

On the other hand, listen to some of _Heroes_ commentaries to figure out
how vapid some of those actors can be, or Schwarzengger on _Total Recall_,
where he's basically paraphrasing what's going on on-screen all throughout
the movie.

Coming back to familiar territory, remember that Wesley Windham Price, or
Spike, were characters that were not meant to have such a huge screen
presence originally, and so they didn't get killed/got resurrected on
Angel in order for Joss to have more fun with them...

Captain Infinity

Feb 12, 2012, 12:56:32 PM2/12/12
Once Upon A Time,
Sarcasm noted, but you're talking about actors. I'm talking about an
actRESS.

**
Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity

Feb 12, 2012, 1:00:51 PM2/12/12
Once Upon A Time,
I don't know who those people are but judging from their names I doubt
either of them is an actress.

**
Captain Infinity

Horace LaBadie

Feb 12, 2012, 2:00:28 PM2/12/12
In article <jh8lap$kg0$2...@saria.nerim.net>, es...@lain.home (Marc Espie)
wrote:
The classic example from BtVS is the library scene in WttH. Sarah came
up to Joss after the shooting had been completed and told him that she
thought that she had played it too angry with Tony. Joss thought that it
was fine. Afterward, when he watched the dailies, he decided that she
was right, and had them do the scene again.

Andre

Feb 12, 2012, 8:28:59 PM2/12/12
On Feb 10, 7:40 pm, Captain Infinity <Infin...@captaininfinity.us>
wrote:
Alfred Hitchcock once told a reporter he had the perfect reply for an
actor/ress who wanted to do "his/her thing". "Go right ahead. That's
what the floor of the cutting room is for".

Andre

Jim G.

Feb 13, 2012, 3:53:18 PM2/13/12
Captain Infinity sent the following on Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:40:07 -0500:
Exactly. When actors talk like this, I think of six-year-olds playing
soccer or tee-ball. Instead of "staying at home" and playing their
respective positions, they all run after the ball and comedy ensues,
along with chaos. By the same token, the Ackers of the world need to
understand that unless they're a director or maybe a producer, they
should just shut up, "stay in position" and just say their lines (unless
there's an objective script error involved).

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
NoCLoDS Founding Member (No Cop, Lawyer or Doctor Shows)

Edward McArdle

Feb 15, 2012, 2:43:53 AM2/15/12
In article <ctmij7hijidd0154m...@4ax.com>, Jim G.
Luckily neither of you has attempted acting.

--
Edward McArdle

Captain Infinity

Feb 15, 2012, 5:42:55 AM2/15/12
Once Upon A Time,
Edward McArdle wrote:

>Luckily neither of you has attempted acting.

You are incorrect.

**
Captain Infinity

William George Ferguson

Feb 15, 2012, 5:00:28 PM2/15/12
Probably the all-time Buffy example of the actor bringing something to the
role that wasn't part of the writing or direction was James Marsters and
Spike. He deliberately played Spike from the beginning to establish UST
between Spike and Buffy, which wasn't part of the writing or the direction.
It became part of the writing and direction because of how well it worked.

Note that he spoke the words that were written and played the scenes as
directed. He added in the UST on top of that because he's an actor.

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

Paul Hyett

Feb 16, 2012, 3:09:40 AM2/16/12
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 at 15:00:28, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer :

>Probably the all-time Buffy example of the actor bringing something to the
>role that wasn't part of the writing or direction was James Marsters and
>Spike. He deliberately played Spike from the beginning to establish UST
>between Spike and Buffy

UST?
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

Arbitrar Of Quality

William George Ferguson

Feb 17, 2012, 3:35:11 PM2/17/12
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:09:40 +0000, Paul Hyett <p...@nojunkmailplease.co.uk>
wrote:
Unresolved Sexual Tension. Although it wasn't in the script or the
direction, Marsters played Spike as sexually attracted to Buffy from the
beginning, because he thought that would be better for the longevity of his
character. Reasolving the sexual thension, in a series, is generally not
good for the series, see Moonlighting.

Arbitrar Of Quality

Feb 12, 2012, 12:57:31 AM2/12/12

Paul Hyett

Feb 18, 2012, 2:55:49 AM2/18/12
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 at 13:35:11, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer :

>>>Probably the all-time Buffy example of the actor bringing something to the
>>>role that wasn't part of the writing or direction was James Marsters and
>>>Spike. He deliberately played Spike from the beginning to establish UST
>>>between Spike and Buffy
>>
>>UST?
>
>Unresolved Sexual Tension.

I got the ST part, but couldn't work out the 'U'.

> Although it wasn't in the script or the
>direction, Marsters played Spike as sexually attracted to Buffy from the
>beginning, because he thought that would be better for the longevity of his
>character.

>Reasolving the sexual thension, in a series, is generally not
>good for the series, see Moonlighting.

I never agreed with that about Moonlighting - possibly because I never
tires of seeing Cybill Shepherd on screen. :p