OT - Verizon fios

1 view

Bob Rudd

Feb 25, 2009, 9:34:01 PM2/25/09

They offered a great deal in my area which I picked up on the last day
for our home as compared to what we now have for: tv, Internet and home
phones. I have until the installation day to cancel.

Does anyone have Verizon Fios? If so, how much of their total package
do you have and what do you think of it, in its parts and overall?

Thanks!

--
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!

Randy

Feb 25, 2009, 10:07:43 PM2/25/09

The descriptions of programming on their on-screen guides leave much
to be desired.

allenr...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2009, 10:59:57 PM2/25/09
On Feb 25, 9:34 pm, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> They offered a great deal in my area which I picked up on the last day
> for our home as compared to what we now have for: tv, Internet and home
> phones.  I have until the installation day to cancel.
>
> Does anyone have Verizon Fios?  If so, how much of their total package
> do you have and what do you think of it, in its parts and overall?
>
> Thanks!

Recently I switched from Brighthouse to Verizon Fios and have been
knocked out by the quality improvement of the HD. The detail is much
better and no artifacts. This is because the fiber optic comes
directly to the TV. The channel selection is great. I have the
maximum HD package (or whatever they call it). I have their HD DVR and
have been happy with that -- no problems at all. I find the onscreen
TV guide adequate enough.

I also have the internet and phone service, which are adequate and
with no problems. I'm glad I switched.

Conroy

Feb 26, 2009, 12:01:02 AM2/26/09
On Feb 25, 9:34 pm, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:

My parents have verizon fios internet and phone (they use an antenna
as they are not interested in anything but broadcast channels). The
phone is very clear and the internet is reliable and much faster than
any other connection I've seen. The price is also good when compared
to cable modem and DSL. The FIOS support appears to be better and
more knowledgeable than Verizon's regular phone service.

I also know many people personally and on cable groups who have
switched from cable to FIOS TV, and they all seem to be very happy
with the change. The consensus is that the picture quality is much
better because their signal is less compressed.

I would like to switch to complete FIOS for myself, but apparently
fiber is not easy to install into apartment buildings...

Bob Rudd

Feb 26, 2009, 12:03:49 AM2/26/09
In article <5b82a44c-583c-4013-9f45-ae6817957848
@a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, randy....@gmail.com says...

How so specifically?

On Dish Network you get about a ten word description as to what the
program is about and you have to figure it out from that. Most of the
time, you can get a reasonable idea of the plot. OTOH, there are shows
where you are also clueless.

Thanks.

Bob Rudd

Feb 26, 2009, 12:13:00 AM2/26/09
In article <039602d1-7248-4c31-905b-
bdabff...@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>, allenr...@gmail.com
says...

Allen, LTNS. Great to hear from you, regardless!

I've got what they call here the "super package." It's every HD channel
and regular channel they have, plus 30 premium channels. It also
includes Internet at 20 down and 5 up and phone service with all the
usual goodies (caller ID etc.) and voice mail.

My tvs are all 1080p.

Do they use a lot of mp4 compression on HD?

Do you have Internet access with them? If you do, do they really
provide the speeds they promise as well as the in-house setup service as
good as they say?

Thanks a lot and good to have you back!

Conroy

Feb 26, 2009, 12:40:31 AM2/26/09
On Feb 26, 12:13 am, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Do you have Internet access with them?  If you do, do they really
> provide the speeds they promise as well as the in-house setup service as
> good as they say?

My parents paid for 10Mbps/2mbps, and the speakeasy.net bandwidth test
(and my test downloads) were what I expected.
I think the in-house setup was good; I wasn't there, but my non-
technical dad was very pleased.

I did deal with post-installation tech support twice; the first was
because their house has had a bad line for years, and nobody was able
to diagnose it until after fios was installed. Once they had FIOS and
still had the problem, VZ sent a tech who seemed much more
knowledgeable than pre-fios techs, and he found and fixed the bad wire
very quickly.
The second problem was the backup UPS battery being fried after the
house was hit by lightning; a tech came and quickly swapped out the
battery after I explained what happened.

azurespirit

Feb 26, 2009, 12:52:29 AM2/26/09

"Bob Rudd" <bob...@verizon.net> wrote in message

How so specifically?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I hope it works out for you.
We just switched to a new internet provider yesterday. I am SO thrilled! It
is at least ten times faster than Hughes Net and costs $35 less a month.
This is the first good thing to happen to our monthly budget in a long time.
I would have been happy with the improvement in speed for the same price!

Bob Rudd

Feb 26, 2009, 1:18:27 AM2/26/09
In article <528db0a2-daa9-4de9-b2bd-b8b63ea53b5b@
41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, conro...@gmail.com says...

Thanks Conroy, I appreciate your thoughts.

allenr...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2009, 10:38:40 AM2/26/09
On Feb 26, 12:13 am, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> In article <039602d1-7248-4c31-905b-
> bdabffba2...@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>, allenrichr...@gmail.com

Bob, I have the equivalent pkg on Fios - the "extreme HD" pkg. I don't
see any compression. I did a number of quick, direct comparisons with
OTA HD channels, and could see no difference. My TV is also 1080p and
also 120 Hz frame rate. With internet, it was slow under Brighthouse
and I don't see much difference with this. I think it's because of the
McAffee protections operating beneath the surface. For phone I have
the full pkg and it is fine, except I dropped the voice mail feature,
since it preempts my own in-house answering machine.

The in-house setup took between 3 - 4 hours. They install a really
big, elaborate box and system, to receive the fiber optic signals
direct, and it takes some time. Customer service is the biggest
negative. I've usually had to wait anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes. And
then the person says they need to transfer me to another dept, and I
wait another 10-40 minutes. They signed me up for a $140 hockey pkg,
which I never requested (I don't watch hockey at all) and it took some
effort to get a credit for that. But once all that initial stuff was
out of the way it is all fine and I'm glad I did it.

Randy

Feb 26, 2009, 12:26:26 PM2/26/09
On Feb 26, 12:03 am, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> In article <5b82a44c-583c-4013-9f45-ae6817957848
> @a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, randy.rok...@gmail.com says...

> > On Feb 25, 9:34 pm, Bob Rudd <bobr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > They offered a great deal in my area which I picked up on the last day
> > > for our home as compared to what we now have for: tv, Internet and home
> > > phones.  I have until the installation day to cancel.
>
> > > Does anyone have Verizon Fios?  If so, how much of their total package
> > > do you have and what do you think of it, in its parts and overall?
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > > --
> > > I hope we can all be good neighbors online!
>
> > The descriptions of programming on their on-screen guides leave much
> > to be desired.
>
> How so specifically?
>
> On Dish Network you get about a ten word description as to what the
> program is about and you have to figure it out from that.  Most of the
> time, you can get a reasonable idea of the plot.  OTOH, there are shows
> where you are also clueless.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> I hope we can all be good neighbors online!

Sometimes for the Tonight Show, for instance, it will say something
like: "Jay Leno interviews celebrities", or for movies it will give a
ten word description of the plot without listing who stars in it.
Most of the time you can see who stars in it by hitting "info" one
more time. Not that bad, I'll admit, but unnecessary. Often you'll
see something entitled "Movie" with the description "No description
available". This is in Delaware - at my friend's by D.C. you
basically are better off looking at a web site for the descriptions.

Bob Rudd

Feb 26, 2009, 1:22:12 PM2/26/09
In article <8a7c1084-2dbb-4c57-9112-
def162...@f24g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>, randy....@gmail.com
says...

I get the same kind of descriptions occasionally with Dish Network.
Most of the time they're good but about 1 in 10 is like you said. I
chalk it up to the network more than the service.

Thanks for the answers, they've been helpful.