Len Davis sentencing hearing

1 view

flick

Aug 1, 2005, 11:02:42 PM8/1/05
Len Davis is the New Orleans cop who ordered the execution of a New Orleans
woman. He and his partner in crime were sentenced to death in federal
court.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/middaytp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tp-midday/archives/2005_08.html#070904

Former NOPD officer Len Davis says FBI "misinterpreted" phone call

During opening statements this morning in his death penalty sentencing
hearing, former NOPD officer Len Davis said he did not order the execution
of a New Orleans woman but instead was setting her up in a drug deal. Davis
told jurors it was a "coincidence" that Kim Groves was murdered at the same
time.

Davis is representing himself at an unusual proceeding in federal court.
Groves was gunned down by Davis' partner in crime, Paul "Cool" Hardy, in
October 1994, less than 24 hours after she filed a brutality complaint
against Davis and another patrol officer. Davis and Hardy were convicted at
their 1996 trial and sentenced to death, a penalty rarely invoked in federal
court and carried out only twice in the past 30 years. But a federal appeals
court ordered a new hearing on the death penalty. A similar penalty hearing
for Hardy is scheduled in October.

Prosecutors during opening statements today stuck to the script: Davis, To
an unrepentant cop-turned-killer, remains convicted of violating Groves'
civil rights by using excessive force and deserves to die for it. For that
to happen, jurors must decide Davis acted intentionally and with
"substantial planning and premeditation."

Prosecutors are again expected to rely heavily on telephone wiretaps in
which Davis can be heard calling Hardy from his patrol car with a command to
"Get that whore," then a second call in which Davis provides a description
of Groves' clothing. Later that night, after Groves was executed in front of
her Alabo Street home, Davis is heard on the tape laughing in celebration.

Davis told jurors this morning that the FBI misinterpreted the slang he used
on the recorded cell phone conversation that led to his arrest. He said he'd
"handle the 30." That refers to the number in the Louisiana Criminal Code
for homicide. Davis said he meant he planned to "30," or kill, Groves' drug
activities.

The FBI had set up a wiretap on Davis' telephone because of an unrelated
drug investigation in which Davis recruited other officers for a
drug-protection ring within the police department. Davis and nine other
officers were later convicted in the drug case.

cro...@earthlink.net

Aug 1, 2005, 11:03:46 PM8/1/05
glad to hear it, thanks for the update. NO has the most corrupt police
force in the country...

"flick" <fl...@starband.net> wrote in message

tiny dancer

Aug 1, 2005, 11:15:41 PM8/1/05

"flick" <fl...@starband.net> wrote in message

I remember seeing this one, oh yeah, I buy his explanation, right.

snicker

td

flick

Aug 2, 2005, 8:54:44 AM8/2/05
<cro...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> glad to hear it, thanks for the update. NO has the most corrupt police
> force in the country...

For their sake, I hope it's changing. They made an awful lot of other cop
arrests around that time, and the FBI was involved down there for years.

flick 100785

ronniecat

Aug 2, 2005, 10:14:33 AM8/2/05
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:02:42 -0500, "flick" <fl...@starband.net> swore
to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but

instead wrote:

>Len Davis is the New Orleans cop who ordered the execution of a New Orleans
>woman. He and his partner in crime were sentenced to death in federal
>court.
>
>http://www.nola.com/newslogs/middaytp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tp-midday/archives/2005_08.html#070904
>
>Former NOPD officer Len Davis says FBI "misinterpreted" phone call
<...>

>Davis told jurors this morning that the FBI misinterpreted the slang he used
>on the recorded cell phone conversation that led to his arrest. He said he'd
>"handle the 30." That refers to the number in the Louisiana Criminal Code
>for homicide. Davis said he meant he planned to "30," or kill, Groves' drug
>activities.
<...>

R-i-i-i-i-g-h-t.

ronnie
--
return address altered. remove my collar to reply.
"Other cultures are not a failed attempt at being you."