Mid East Refugees in Australian Waters...

PHyatt1962

Oct 7, 2001, 2:33:03 PM10/7/01
Whatever happened to "women and children first"? It has never been an
"eastern" philosophy. When the news of the Titanic reached the world, the
Japanese ambassador enquired about this "new way" of thinking, stating that it
had never been that way where he came from. (History has reported several
pointed incidents sadly showing this very thing).

PH

   Sunday, October 7

Asylum Seekers Throw Children off Boat After Navy Refuses Entry to Australian
Waters
By Peter O'connor Associated Press Writer
Published: Oct 7, 2001

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Refugees turned away from Australia threw children
into the ocean in a desperate bid to reverse the decision, an official said
Sunday. Prime Minister John Howard said Australia would not be "intimidated"
into softening its tough stance on asylum seekers.
Asylum seekers in lifejackets jumped ship, and some threw their children
overboard, after naval officers boarded the boat and ordered it to leave
Australian waters about 130 miles from Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean,
Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock said.
The navy rescued the adults and children from the water Saturday night, Ruddock
said. Nobody was reported drowned.
"I regard this as one of the most disturbing practices I've come across," he
said.
The ship, which carried 187 people, returned to international waters Sunday and
was believed to be heading north to Indonesia, the origin of many of the ships
used to smuggle asylum seekers from Asian and Middle Eastern countries to
Australia.
Campaigning in Sydney for national elections on Nov. 10, Howard told reporters
he would not change the government's policy of refusing entry to asylum
seekers.
"Our policy remains quite resolute. We are not going to be intimidated out of
our policy by this kind of behavior," Howard said. He called the asylum
seekers' actions "a sorry reflection" of the their "attitude of mind."
In August, Howard changed government policy when he refused to let a Norwegian
freighter enter Australian waters after it saved 433 mostly Afghan asylum
seekers from a sinking Indonesian ferry.
When the Norwegian ship defied the order and steamed close to Australia's
Christmas Island, Howard ordered commandos to storm the ship and prevent the
refugees from landing.
The government's stance earned unprecedented international criticism, but
Howard's popularity soared at home, positioning his government to win a third
term. The opposition Labor Party supports the policy.
Australia's navy planned to shadow the ship refused entry Saturday until it
looked like it was not going to come back, a spokeswoman for Ruddock said. The
boat had come from Indonesia, but the nationality of its occupants was not
immediately known.
In the past year, more than 5,000 asylum seekers have come to Australia by boat
via Indonesia with the help of smugglers.
AP-ES-10-07-01 1409EDT

Maggie

Oct 7, 2001, 3:38:06 PM10/7/01
>Whatever happened to "women and children first"? It has never been an
>"eastern" philosophy. When the news of the Titanic reached the world, the
>Japanese ambassador enquired about this "new way" of thinking, stating that
>it
>had never been that way where he came from. (History has reported several
>pointed incidents sadly showing this very thing).
>

>PH

***Well, I, for one, know that this is a totally false report because I have it
on excellent and totally unbiased authority that Australia is *extremely*
welcoming of foreigners and makes them all wealthy and long-lived within a very
short time of their immigration. I'm sure, as well, that someone has totally
misrepresented the Australian Prime Minister's attitude toward Middle Eastern
asylum seekers and certainly I know that the good and kind people of Australia
would never, ever support the violent storming of a ship of poor homeless
Afghanis. Ask formica if you doubt me. Obviously you are one of those
America-firsters who is determined to besmirch the outstanding reputation of
Australians for supporting less fortunate humans around the world. You should
be ashamed.

Maggie

"Rules? In a knife fight? There ain't no rules in a knife fight!" - William
Goldman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

PHyatt1962

Oct 7, 2001, 5:23:03 PM10/7/01
Maggie,

I only took it off the web and posted it. How could I ever know if an AP
story is true or false?? Really?
If someone is to blame, if the story proves to be false (which I hope it does),
should it not be the Associated Press?

You post lots of crime stories. Would anyone blame you if one proved to be
false?? Would it be your shame?

Peter

goldenmike4393

Oct 7, 2001, 7:13:36 PM10/7/01
phyat...@aol.com (PHyatt1962) wrote in message news:<20011007143303...@mb-mv.aol.com>...

> Whatever happened to "women and children first"? It has never been an
> "eastern" philosophy. When the news of the Titanic reached the world, the
> Japanese ambassador enquired about this "new way" of thinking, stating that it
> had never been that way where he came from. (History has reported several
> pointed incidents sadly showing this very thing).
> PH
>    Sunday, October 7
> Asylum Seekers Throw Children off Boat After Navy Refuses Entry to Australian
> Waters
> By Peter O'connor Associated Press Writer
> Published: Oct 7, 2001
>
> CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Refugees turned away from Australia threw children
> into the ocean in a desperate bid to reverse the decision, an official said
> Sunday. Prime Minister John Howard said Australia would not be "intimidated"
> into softening its tough stance on asylum seekers.

I am sure this group of people would have
added so much to the Australian culture.

Send them back.

GM

Formica63

Oct 7, 2001, 10:27:17 PM10/7/01
Maggie wrote:
>***Well, I, for one, know that this is a totally false report because I have
>it
>on excellent and totally unbiased authority that Australia is *extremely*
>welcoming of foreigners and makes them all wealthy and long-lived within a
>very
>short time of their immigration.

The first is false but the second is true, relative to their countries of
origin.

> I'm sure, as well, that someone has totally
>misrepresented the Australian Prime Minister's attitude toward Middle Eastern
>asylum seekers and certainly I know that the good and kind people of
>Australia
>would never, ever support the violent storming of a ship of poor homeless
>Afghanis. Ask formica if you doubt me.

Whoa, you've flipped out, haven't you? How did my use of the word "xenophobic"
to describe Australians suggest we were friendly to foreigners?

Formica

goldenmike4393

Oct 8, 2001, 9:37:44 AM10/8/01
maggi...@aol.comSPAMBLOC (Maggie) wrote in message news:<20011007153806...@mb-md.aol.com>...

> >Whatever happened to "women and children first"? It has never been an
> >"eastern" philosophy. When the news of the Titanic reached the world, the
> >Japanese ambassador enquired about this "new way" of thinking, stating that
> >it
> >had never been that way where he came from. (History has reported several
> >pointed incidents sadly showing this very thing).
> >

> >PH
>
> ***Well, I, for one, know that this is a totally false report because I have
> on excellent and totally unbiased authority that Australia is *extremely*
> welcoming of foreigners and makes them all wealthy and long-lived within a
> short time of their immigration. I'm sure, as well, that someone has totally
> misrepresented the Australian Prime Minister's attitude toward Middle Eastern
> asylum seekers and certainly I know that the good and kind people of Australia
> would never, ever support the violent storming of a ship of poor homeless
> Afghanis. Ask formica if you doubt me. Obviously you are one of those
> America-firsters who is determined to besmirch the outstanding reputation of
> Australians for supporting less fortunate humans around the world. You should
> be ashamed.

I can HONESTLY SAY, Maggie, that I don't CARE IF YOU
GO TO HELL. I REALLY DON'T CARE.

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST HYPOCRIT ON NG. DIDNT YOU POST
TEN COPS FOUND, FIVE FIREMEN FOUND, STEPHEN KING SHOULD
BE ARRESTED FOR BEING RUNOVER BY A DRUNK DRIVER, THEN
OF COURSE YOUR PENIS STORY?

Look in the mirror, if you don't crack it.

GM <You are a train wreck, you bleeding heart liberal.>

goldenmike4393

Oct 8, 2001, 9:40:27 AM10/8/01
phyat...@aol.com (PHyatt1962) wrote in message news:<20011007172303...@mb-ch.aol.com>...

Peter,
Don't ever be polite or courteous to
Maggie. She'll just spit in your face.
She is a BITCH from the pits of hell.

GM

Mom

Oct 9, 2001, 4:44:00 PM10/9/01
In article <20011007172303...@mb-ch.aol.com>, phyatt1962
@aol.com wrote...

Gawd, don't you know Queen Maggie's *always* right?

Mom still love you...