A4LD - Auto Transmission - Front seal & Bushing problem

R&B

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger, 2WD, with a A4LD Automatic Overdrive
Transmission. I only have 67K miles on the vehicle, but I am having problems
with fluid leaks at the front seal. This transmission was introduced in 1985
and replaced in 1995. It was used behind 4 and 6 cyl engines. According to a
few site, the bushing that supports the converter was machined in place, and
replacing it without going through the same process could result in a
bushing that is not centered. I was checking to see if anyone else is having
a similar problem. I even checked with a transmission repair business who
showed me the bell housing that contains the pump and seal.
The following site has some data on the transmission and confirms what I
stated.

http://www.homestead.com/therangerstation/index.html
http://www.homestead.com/therangerstation/AutoTrans.html

Ron

Gary Glaenzer

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
The bushing can be replaced.

The problem is in having a set of tools to line up the pump with the bell
housing.........don't even think of loosening the pump bolts without having
the proper tools for line-up.

Blowing fluid out the front seal is usually indicative of slipping in the OD
section, the band may be worn down, or the servo piston may have hardened,
the piston is right next to the exhaust (real rocket science engineering,
there).

Try adjusting the band, front adjusting nut on drivers side, loosen lock
nut, tighten inner bolt down finger-snug, then back off a turn and a
half....not critical.

Hope this helps.......
R&B <Tov...@ticnet.com> wrote in message

R&B

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
I appreciate the reply. I haven't pulled the transmission yet, but I
will soon. I have precision tools indicators etc. and know how to use them.
I even have a friend who has a boring machine in his garage. The internet
site I posted described bolting the bell housing to the block to determine
the centerline relationship of the pump bushing.
I will mention one other item. I put a set of 30" x 9.5" B.F. Goodrich
T/A radials on my Ranger and a 2" body lift. I replaced the small 14" tires
and rims with 15" and the above tires. The increase in tire size has really
caused the engine to strain when going up hills in overdrive. I calculated
my effective gear ratio created by the larger tires and it's 3:05. My stock
rear end ratio is a 3:45. According to my calculations, I need to install a
3:90 gear set, which they don't make. However I ordered a 4:11 from Summit
and will install it to get the power back.
Ron

Gary Glaenzer <glae...@csj.net> wrote in message

Charles Rutherford

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Don't know about the boring machine, but we have a A4LD trans. in our 88
Turbo Coupe and until I had a good Ford automatic trans. guy to repair
it, we had the problem that you describe several times. There is a set
of tools that must be used to align the input shaft and front pump,
failing to do so results in the bushing pushing out or cutting the front
seal. Good luck.

Charlie

R&B

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Thanks for the reply. Because of the large variability in finding quality
auto or truck repair, I have tackled almost everything on my own. I have
done all the work on my own vehicles, and those of my sons, for many years.
Even if I have never performed the task, I learn how. I buy the manuals, ask
questions, and purchase tools if needed. It takes me longer, and sometimes I
make mistakes, but in the process I learn something. Now that I have talked
to a Transmission company, searched the Internet, and received responses
from the NG's, I will buy a manual and do it myself.
Ron

Charles Rutherford <chas...@mindspring.com> wrote in message