Re: Knock sensor? What does it do?

Message has been deleted

JR

Dec 7, 2008, 7:34:55 AM12/7/08

<lett...@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o46nj4doqt8rve5fe...@4ax.com...
>I have a 91 GMC pickup with a 350 engine and auto tranny. I had my
> mechanic do a checkup of the underside of the truck and he said the
> knock sensor is broken (the wire terminal corroded off). I asked him
> what it's for. He said it senses a knock in the engine and does
> something to compensate.
>
> He knows I am on a limited income and said I can change it myself if I
> want. He said I just need to drain the antifreeze because it screws
> into an antifreeze coolant port. Unscrew it, replace it, put wire on.
>
> I agree this sounds pretty easy to do, but I cant understand how a
> thing inserted into a coolant path can sense a knock in the engine?
>
> Can someone explain how this thing works.
>
> Thanks
>
> LM

Just consider the knock sensor to be a sensitive microphone that
hears the spark knock, then retards the ignition timing until it
doesn't hear it anymore.

Regards,
JR

Woody

Dec 7, 2008, 4:13:53 PM12/7/08
You don't need to drain the antifreeze if you plan it right. You will loose
a little antifreeze. Just have the new sensor ready to screw in and pull the
old one, hold a finger over the hole and then quickly insert the new one....
Make sure the radiator overflow tank has plenty of antifreeze in it and keep
a check on it for a week.

SBlackfoot

Dec 7, 2008, 7:40:34 PM12/7/08

>I have a 91 GMC pickup with a 350 engine and auto tranny. I had my
> mechanic do a checkup of the underside of the truck and he said the
> knock sensor is broken (the wire terminal corroded off). I asked him
> what it's for. He said it senses a knock in the engine and does
> something to compensate.
>
> He knows I am on a limited income and said I can change it myself if I
> want. He said I just need to drain the antifreeze because it screws
> into an antifreeze coolant port. Unscrew it, replace it, put wire on.
>
> I agree this sounds pretty easy to do, but I cant understand how a
> thing inserted into a coolant path can sense a knock in the engine?
>
> Can someone explain how this thing works.

To add to JR's post, the fact that it doubles as a plug for the coolant
jacket is irrelevant. It threads into the *engine block* and detects the
knock vibrating through the entire casing. It really is as simple as
draining the coolant and swapping out. Even if you're quick you'll make a
BIG mess if you don't drain the coolant first. ;-)

William R. Walsh

Dec 7, 2008, 8:05:50 PM12/7/08
Hi!

> You don't need to drain the antifreeze if you plan it right. You will
> loose a little antifreeze. Just have the new sensor ready to screw in
> and pull the old one, hold a finger over the hole and then quickly insert
> the new one....

Only do this if you're very, very sure that you won't cross-thread the
sensor. If you do that, you will be in trouble.

Draining the anti-freeze might seem like a pain, but if you're careful you
can collect, filter (very important!) and reuse it. It's cheap insurance
against having to rush through a job only to find out that in your haste,
you cross-threaded the sensor.

William

Message has been deleted

Gosi

Dec 8, 2008, 4:49:55 AM12/8/08
On 8 Dec, 07:15, letter...@invalid.com wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 01:05:50 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
> Thanks for all the replies.
> It sounds like a pretty easy repair.

It is not

Get a new car

PeterD

Dec 8, 2008, 10:24:54 AM12/8/08
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:13:53 -0500, "Woody" <The...@pond.net> wrote:

>You don't need to drain the antifreeze if you plan it right. You will loose
>a little antifreeze. Just have the new sensor ready to screw in and pull the
>old one, hold a finger over the hole and then quickly insert the new one....
>Make sure the radiator overflow tank has plenty of antifreeze in it and keep
>a check on it for a week.

1. Open the radiator cap (tank cap) and relieve all pressure in the
cooling system first.

2. Replace the cap and tighten it down.

3. Then follow the above instructions.

Steve W.

Dec 8, 2008, 12:24:24 PM12/8/08

And if you want to make it even easier squeeze the lower radiator hose
and then put the cap on.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

80 Knight

Dec 8, 2008, 12:26:29 PM12/8/08
"Gosi" <gos...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gosi, if you want to make an ass of yourself by shoveling "I hate GM and
want it to die" post's into the group, that is one thing, but why don't you
leave the people alone who are simply asking for repair advise? We all know
you live on welfare, don't own a vehicle, never owned a GM, and live in
Europe. Seriously, this poster is only looking for an answer to his
question, he doesn't need your BS too.

SBlackfoot

Dec 8, 2008, 5:11:41 PM12/8/08

> 1. Open the radiator cap (tank cap) and relieve all pressure in the
> cooling system first.
>
> 2. Replace the cap and tighten it down.
>
> 3. Then follow the above instructions.

Step 1/2. Allow engine to cool thoroughly.

I know it should be a given, but it couldn't hurt to mention...

PeterD

Dec 8, 2008, 7:43:08 PM12/8/08
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:24:24 -0500, "Steve W." <csr...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>PeterD wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:13:53 -0500, "Woody" <The...@pond.net> wrote:
>>
>>> You don't need to drain the antifreeze if you plan it right. You will loose
>>> a little antifreeze. Just have the new sensor ready to screw in and pull the
>>> old one, hold a finger over the hole and then quickly insert the new one....
>>> Make sure the radiator overflow tank has plenty of antifreeze in it and keep
>>> a check on it for a week.
>>
>> 1. Open the radiator cap (tank cap) and relieve all pressure in the
>> cooling system first.
>>
>> 2. Replace the cap and tighten it down.
>>
>> 3. Then follow the above instructions.
>
>And if you want to make it even easier squeeze the lower radiator hose
>and then put the cap on.

Good thought, a slight vacuum would be helful in the system...