Astrotrain's role in the Movie

Astrotrain

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

I'm curious as to what do fans think as to the possibility that Astrotrain and Starscream teamed-up in the Movie to get rid of Megatron. Think about it: both had plotted together in the past (e.g."Triple Takeover"), both were ambitious, and both had tried to dethrone Megs.
In the "shuttle scene," Astrotrain says he needs to "jettison some weight," yet, despite all the elaborate explanations for this, the simple truth is that there is no weight in space. Most of the 'Cons (including Megatron) were too weak or battered to protest. In their injured state, logic perhaps wasn't as important a consideration as survival. So when Astro said this, it could've been the cue for Starscream to do his famous "Wanna Bet?" scene.
As for the mass factor, would it really have made *that* much of a difference?
I know that Starscream would've never shared leadership with anyone, and Astrotrain must've known this too. Perhaps all he aimed for was simply a higher rank, or to be in special favor with Screamer, the future leader. After all, it was Astrotrain who Starscream chose to coronate him. Perhaps Astro expected that was just the first of the many "honors" to come.
Of course, this may all be a cynical way of thinking, but it's been brought up by friends and the like, and it's an interesting point to consider.

Sarai ("Astrotrain")

Wipe (upon seeing Scorponok): "It's fantastic!"
Zarak: "Oh, no. You ain't seen nothin' yet!"
--dubbed Japanese "Headmasters" episode:
"Explosion on Mars!! MegaZarak Appears!"

"If it can be imagined, it must exist"
University of Florida class of 2000+1--GO GATORS!!
TF Web Page (effective until January):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ASTROTRAIN/mytransf.htm
Author of: Stunticons, Triple Changers, Starscream and Seekers
articles in Stanley Lui's TF encyclopedia:
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~sslui/tf-ency.html
And of the List of Character Appearances in the Cartoon (e-mail me
for a copy!)

Wolfang

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

Astrotrain wrote:

> I'm curious as to what do fans think as to the possibility that Astrotrain and Starscream teamed-up in the Movie to get rid of Megatron. Think about it: both h
> In the "shuttle scene," Astrotrain says he needs to "jettison some weight," yet, despite all the elaborate explanations for this, the simple truth is that ther
> As for the mass factor, would it really have made *that* much of a difference?
> I know that Starscream would've never shared leadership with anyone, and Astrotrain must've known this too. Perhaps all he aimed for was simply a higher rank,
> Of course, this may all be a cynical way of thinking, but it's been brought up by friends and the like, and it's an interesting point to consider.
>
> Sarai ("Astrotrain")

Well, it's an interesting thought. . . But I doubt the scriptwriters had that in mind.
Let's consider (before I go on, I would like to affirm that Transformers:The Movie is my
favorite motion picture of all time) Hot Rod, Kup, and the Dinobots were all in the same
ship when it crash landed, yet somehow Kup and Hot Rod ended up in water and the
dinobots ended up on dry land. How did Kup and Hot Rod know Ultra Magnus was on Junk,
and how could Wreck-Gar POSSIBLY know that the matrix was on Unicron. I have no problem
with your explanation as a more than plausible fanplanation (to make up a word fan +
explanation) but I doubt that it was intended by the writers. Having written all this,
I now realize you, more than likely, already know this, but I'd hate to have a whole
paragraph of writing go to waste so. . .

-Wolfang

Zobovor002

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

Astrotrain <10313...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

Hi, Sarai! :)

>I'm curious as to what do fans think as to the possibility that
Astrotrain and >Starscream teamed-up in the Movie to get rid of Megatron.

Think about it: both >had plotted together in the past (e.g."Triple
Takeover"), both were ambitious, and >both had tried to dethrone Megs.

Hmmm... I like this one. Kinda has a "JFK conspiracy" feel to it.

>In the "shuttle scene," Astrotrain says he needs to "jettison some
weight," yet, >despite all the elaborate explanations for this, the simple

truth is that there is no >weight in space. Most of the 'Cons (including
Megatron) were too weak or >battered to protest. In their injured state,
logic perhaps wasn't as important a >consideration as survival. So when
Astro said this, it could've been the cue for >Starscream to do his famous
"Wanna Bet?" scene.

I'd like to hear these explanations again, Sarai, from either your or
other a.t.t.ers; why would he need to jettison weight? Does it have to do
with the approach of Cybertron's atmosphere (whose existence is also
questionable, but let's not nitpick)? Heck, maybe Unicron implanted this
whole idea into Screamer's head.

>As for the mass factor, would it really have made *that* much of a
difference?
>I know that Starscream would've never shared leadership with anyone, and
>Astrotrain must've known this too. Perhaps all he aimed for was simply a

higher >rank, or to be in special favor with Screamer, the future leader.
After all, it was >Astrotrain who Starscream chose to coronate him.
Perhaps Astro expected that >was just the first of the many "honors" to
come.

What comes to my mind are images of a half-starved Astrotrain from "Five
Faces of Darkness" part 1, who can't even revert to his robot mode, let
alone grab one measly energon cube for himself. Poor Astro! (I wonder
what went through Astrotrain's mind the moment Starscream was destroyed.
I'm guessing: "Oh, $#!%...") Starscream's somewhat cavalier possession
of Astrotrain in "Ghost in the Machine" also comes to mind. I'm sure
Scourge had plently of cargo room for two miserable eyeballs; he held
Wingspan with the key to the plasma energy chamber just fine in "The
Rebirth" part 1. I think Screamer had ulterior motives for possessing
Astro... What these were, I can't say just yet.

>Of course, this may all be a cynical way of thinking, but it's been
brought up by >friends and the like, and it's an interesting point to
consider.

>Sarai ("Astrotrain")

Coming from a confirmed Astrotrain fanatic? I'd say a bit biased, but you
do have some valid points. I have trouble believing Blitzwing wasn't a
party to this, too... But then he was always the dumber of the two Triple
Changers. D'ya suppose he finally got what he wanted during "Five Faces
of Darkness" part 5? That whole "this battle ends now!" always threw me
for a loop! Is this the same Blitzwing who once said, "Tell me what's on
your mind, or I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"?? (Yes,
fellow AOLers, that's my quote.)

Zobov...@aol.com

"Sometimes it's better to be known for one's enemies." --Blitzwing, "Five
Faces of Darkness" part 5. I don't get it... but I like it! :)

Doug Kern

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

In article <5a457j$2cu$1...@mhafn.production.compuserve.com>, Astrotrain
<10313...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

> I'm curious as to what do fans think as to the possibility that
Astrotrain and Starscream teamed-up in the Movie to get rid of Megatron.
Think about it: both had plotted together in the past (e.g."Triple
Takeover"), both were ambitious, and both had tried to dethrone Megs.

> In the "shuttle scene," Astrotrain says he needs to "jettison some
weight," yet, despite all the elaborate explanations for this, the simple
truth is that there is no weight in space. Most of the 'Cons (including
Megatron) were too weak or battered to protest. In their injured state,
logic perhaps wasn't as important a consideration as survival. So when
Astro said this, it could've been the cue for Starscream to do his famous
"Wanna Bet?" scene.

> As for the mass factor, would it really have made *that* much of a
difference?
> I know that Starscream would've never shared leadership with anyone, and
Astrotrain must've known this too. Perhaps all he aimed for was simply a
higher rank, or to be in special favor with Screamer, the future leader.
After all, it was Astrotrain who Starscream chose to coronate him. Perhaps
Astro expected that was just the first of the many "honors" to come.

> Of course, this may all be a cynical way of thinking, but it's been
brought up by friends and the like, and it's an interesting point to
consider.

No fair! I am using this idea in my fanfic Scientific Revolution
(shameless plug) which I am writing right now (yes I am still working on
it, now that I have free time because of winter break, I can work on more
chapters) Oh well, guess I was not the only person to think of it. :)

--
Doug Kern
dke...@mail.idt.net

Astrotrain

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

On 12/29/96, zobov...@aol.com (Zobovor002) wrote:
>Astrotrain <10313...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>Hi, Sarai! :)

Hi Dave! :)

>I'd like to hear these explanations again, Sarai, from either your or
>other a.t.t.ers; why would he need to jettison weight? Does it have to do
>with the approach of Cybertron's atmosphere (whose existence is also
>questionable, but let's not nitpick)? Heck, maybe Unicron implanted this
>whole idea into Screamer's head.

Well, there's somewhat of an explanation in the FAQ. But, I'll be nice and list it right here so you don't have to go looking for it yourself :)
>>Why would Astrotrain need to "jettison some weight" in space?

>>While it's true that there is no "weight" in space, there is mass. The >>more mass on board, the more fuel is required to accelerate and decelerate. >>It is possible that Astrotrain didn't have enough fuel to (a) accelerate >>enough to get to Cybertron within a reasonable amount of time, or (b) >>decelerate enough once they get to Cybertron to actually stop and land >>there. Once the extra scrap metal was thrown overboard, however, there was >>little enough mass on board for him to get home quickly and land.

>What comes to my mind are images of a half-starved Astrotrain from "Five
>Faces of Darkness" part 1, who can't even revert to his robot mode, let
>alone grab one measly energon cube for himself. Poor Astro! (I wonder
>what went through Astrotrain's mind the moment Starscream was destroyed.
>I'm guessing: "Oh, $#!%...")

My guess exactly, if indeed he and Screamer were the only two in on "the conspiracy."

>Starscream's somewhat cavalier possession of Astrotrain in "Ghost in the >Machine" also comes to mind. I'm sure Scourge had plently of cargo room for >two miserable eyeballs; he held Wingspan with the key to the plasma energy >chamber just fine in "The Rebirth" part 1. I think Screamer had ulterior >motives for possessing Astro... What these were, I can't say just yet.

Yet another interesting point there, Dave! I don't know if Starscream really did have any motive, or if the "cargo room" explanation was all just a silly excuse. What I do know is that the ol' Screamer bailed out on Astrotrain at the last minute, leaving him to the mercies of the Autobots. That was a sell-out! Perhaps (my assumption) he was resentful that after all their plotting against Megs, Astro would just revert so easily to being loyal to his new form. A bit of revenge on Screamer's part, maybe?

>I have trouble believing Blitzwing wasn't a party to this, too... But then >he was always the dumber of the two Triple Changers.

Well, he did look somewhat calm in the shuttle scene, as if he'd been expecting something like this. But then again, I dunno if Screamer and Astrotrain would've told Blitz about this. He might just have spilled the beans. Blitzwing was always (at least before the Movie) the more immature one of the pair.

>D'ya suppose he finally got what he wanted during "Five Faces of Darkness" >part 5? That whole "this battle ends now!" always threw me
>for a loop! Is this the same Blitzwing who once said, "Tell me what's on
>your mind, or I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"?? (Yes,
>fellow AOLers, that's my quote.)

Post-movie Blitzwing was definetely out-of-character for him as we knew him. He was actually mature and thoughtful. I guess the hardships suffered after the Movie changed him. I don't think Blitz disappeared after "FFOD: 5", though. He is shown again in "Fight or Flee" and "The Ultimate Weapon".

>"Sometimes it's better to be known for one's enemies." --Blitzwing, "Five
>Faces of Darkness" part 5. I don't get it... but I like it! :)

That's just Blitzy tryin' to sound smart! I doubt if even he understood himself ;)

Sarai ("Astrotrain")

"These Autobots, they're too nosy!"
--Ratbat in dubbed "Headmasters" ep:
"SOS From Planet Sandra"