Zob's Crowdfunding Attempt: Darkwing Duck Animation Model Sheets

Zobovor

Nov 12, 2015, 12:15:37 AM11/12/15
So, I'm rediscovering the Darkwing Duck cartoon series, which was perhaps my third-favorite cartoon show after Transformers and Ninja Turtles back in the day. I've recently gobbled up the DVD sets (the official releases and, when that wasn't enough, a bootlegged DVD that included all the episodes not released officially). I'd forgotten how sharply the show is written, and the animation in select episodes is absolutely top-notch (typically the ones farmed out to the Disney studios in Australia or Japan).

There's a set of Darkwing Duck animation models on eBay that somebody is selling for an insane amount of money ($75 plus shipping). There are 113 pages total, which could potentially include a great many important characters from the show. Now, I am of the opinion that this sort of thing should just be free. If I had them in my possession, I would totally spread them all over the Internet and share the love. I want so badly for these to be available to the public but I'm just not in a position to drop $90 on them. Then, it occurred to me that maybe this was a good reason to do some good ol' fashioned crowdfunding:

http://tilt.tc/Xk5u

$90 is a daunting dollar amount, but maybe ninety people won't think that $1 is very much to lose. If I can collect enough money to get these things, I'm totally going to scan them and put them online for all to enjoy.

Zob (worst-case scenario, nobody cares enough to contribute and I'm right back where I started)

Neo Thunder

Nov 12, 2015, 2:14:23 PM11/12/15
I put in for $3. It's not much but it's a start. :)

t.k.

Neo Thunder

Nov 16, 2015, 2:07:47 AM11/16/15
Only $67 more to go. Come on, people! :)

t.k.

Zobovor

Nov 16, 2015, 3:37:33 AM11/16/15
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 12:07:47 AM UTC-7, Neo Thunder wrote:

> Only $67 more to go. Come on, people! :)

I posted this over on a couple of different Darkwing Duck fan message boards, too. There doesn't seem to be much interest, honestly. 'Tis a shame.

Zob (if this was, like, animation models for the female Autobots from "The Search for Alpha Trion," the Transformers fandom would have coughed up hundreds of dollars by now!)

banzait...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2015, 7:58:17 PM11/16/15
Can I troll for a second?

// Troll Begin

I have no idea what Darkwing Duck is, but if the total cost is $90, and your crowd funding is set to tilt at $90, that mean you are not willing to put ANY of your own capital behind the project? Most investors will want you to have some skin in the game (other than labor/time, which is of no value unless skilled). Otherwise, it looks as if you are not so interested in the preservation of the material, but rather getting them for free.

// Troll End

BTW, I so love that you are doing this. It's completely random and awesome.

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

Nov 17, 2015, 1:08:45 AM11/17/15
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:58:17 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> Otherwise, it looks as if you are not so interested in the preservation of
> the material, but rather getting them for free.

See, I was only looking at the other side of things. I thought that starting a fundraiser and then donating to it myself would look sad and pathetic. It's like the kid with the lemonade stand who puts his own coins in the paper cup to make it look like he's actually sold some.

I thought it would be obvious that if I raised, say, $60 or $70 then I would probably just call it good and front the rest of the cost myself. Maybe it was less obvious than I thought.

Zob (feeling sheepish now)

Zobovor

Nov 24, 2015, 6:26:30 PM11/24/15
Update: Thanks to some very generous contributions from the Transformers fan community (and nobody from the Darkwing Duck forums, sadly) we're about halfway to the monetary goal.

One of the folks on the Darkwing Duck message board actually e-mailed the seller and asked for some preview images. I had kind of been hoping this was a treasure trove of animation models for many of the various heroes and villains in the series, but in fact it seems primarily limited to Darkwing Duck himself, Launchpad McQuack, Gosalyn and Honker, etc. So, not quite as exciting as I'd hoped, but still potentially valuable.

Ironically, the copy of the Darkwing Duck series bible I acquired from the same seller does contain a number of official production drawings and are much closer to the ones I'd been looking for (illustrations of Neptunia, Stegmutt, Morgana Macawber, Liquidator, Steelbeak, Moliarty, different drawings of Megavolt and Quackerjack than the ones already plastered all over the web, etc.) I'm busy scanning it as well as coloring some of the drawings and I'm going to put it all online somewhere as soon as I'm done. (In addition to my many projects I'm also struggling with being sick, which puts a real damper on my various fan activities.)

Thanks to everyone who's shown interest in this endeavour!

Zob (likes to spell "endeavour" with a "u" because he's pompous like that)

Zobovor

Dec 2, 2015, 10:04:00 PM12/2/15
Update #2: We did it! The monetary goal has been reached. I'm really kind of amazed. Thanks to everyone who helped spread the word, and those of you who pitched in. I'm really excited!

Zob

Neo Thunder

Dec 5, 2015, 12:52:15 AM12/5/15
I originally donated $3 and then when it looked like it might stall at
half way, donated another $20. Looks like another fan finished it off
then. :)

t.k.

Zobovor

Dec 5, 2015, 1:56:17 AM12/5/15
My good buddy ViceGripX also pitched in. What a pal. :)

Thanks again to everyone who contributed. I bought the model sheets tonight and I'll be scanning them and uploading them as soon as I receive them. Yay!

Zob

banzait...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2015, 9:05:38 PM12/9/15
> My good buddy ViceGripX also pitched in. What a pal. :)

Haven't seen him around these parts in years?

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

Dec 9, 2015, 9:35:17 PM12/9/15
On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 7:05:38 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

>> My good buddy ViceGripX also pitched in. What a pal. :)
>
> Haven't seen him around these parts in years?

No, he doesn't frequent ATT any longer, but I linked the crowdfunding effort through Facebook, so some people saw it from there.

Zob (and I also e-mailed him about it)

Zobovor

Dec 18, 2015, 6:01:23 PM12/18/15
Okay! All the Darkwing Duck animation models I acquired (over 100 pages!) are now scanned, uploaded, and available online right here:

http://www.zmfts.t15.org/index.html

Thanks again to everyone who helped out and made this possible!

Zob (literally spent all day on this)