Hasbro's Finally Gonna Release Combiner Wars Deluxe Groove

Zobovor

Mar 29, 2016, 8:53:36 PM3/29/16
Looks like he's gonna be an online exclusive, like what they did with Brake-Neck and Quickslinger:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-generations-combiner-wars-deluxe-class-protectobot-groove-up-for-preorders/34981/

Due for a May 2016 release date. Better late than never, yes?

Zob (will buy him for sure)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Mar 30, 2016, 1:47:55 AM3/30/16
I hope he can somehow wear the small Groove as armor.

David Connell

Mar 30, 2016, 9:03:17 AM3/30/16
Grooveception?

Great news. The question is, do I want to track down the rest of Defensor to go with him? I've kind of limited my CW purchases to specific Voyager characters and the Deluxes to go with them (after completing Superion and Menasor). As it is I've got 2 complete Autobot gestalts to 1 Decepticon. With Sky Reign in progress - if I can ever find a Sky Lynx for a decent price.

I haven't even gotten Bruticus, though I'm considering getting the limbs to repurpose for Galvatronus. That said, a RiD Ruination would be bought on sight!

William A. Rendfeld

Mar 30, 2016, 9:31:45 AM3/30/16
I wouldn't complain about getting him, but if I miss out, no big loss.

Manic

May 6, 2016, 10:36:04 PM5/6/16
Even though I missed the original announcement and all of the preorders I could find were not longer available, I managed to get a preorder in with Robot Kingdom when they did their last restock.

As Groove was shipped from Hong Kong, I didn't expect it to reach Canada as quickly as it did, but I got home from work to find Groove waiting for me. I'm not a particularly good "reviewer" as I would just generally say things like "I like how this looks" etc, but I do like how he looks in both modes and is one of the few toys which it's kind of a shame I won't see in these modes again as I keep them exclusively in combined form.

Speaking of the combined form, while I don't harbor any negative feelings towards Rook as he is a perfectly serviceable toy, I always felt him replacing Groove made Defensor look like he was wearing goalie pads and a big white rectangle with black highlights doesn't make for a very interesting looking limb. While the Defensor I have is the Hasbro version and the torso isn't as cartoon accurate as the Takara version, Defensor finally looks like the Defensor I remember with the only bit which lacks the "G1" look is due to the transformation design for Streetwise, hiding his light bar from view in leg mode.

I had entertained thoughts of buying the Unite Warriors incarnation of Defensor (and I still might if I have the disposable cash) but even with the deviations here and there from the classic appearance I am completely satisfied with how my Defensor looks now that the entire original team is back together. While I know there are mixed feelings on the Perfect Effect hands and feet upgrades, I think all of the "Scramble City" style combiners look leagues better than with the crappy Hasbro HFG parts.

William A. Rendfeld

May 7, 2016, 9:58:27 AM5/7/16
I've preordered, and they've accepted payment. With luck, I'll get him without incident.

David Connell

May 9, 2016, 11:02:03 AM5/9/16
I wonder if there's any chance of this version being redecoed/remolded into Wreck-gar like the Legends class?

William A. Rendfeld

May 9, 2016, 1:28:45 PM5/9/16
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 11:02:03 AM UTC-4, David Connell wrote:
> I wonder if there's any chance of this version being redecoed/remolded into Wreck-gar like the Legends class?

Doubtful, but this version of Groove will be retooled into Afterburner for the upcoming Computron box set.

David Connell

May 9, 2016, 3:24:04 PM5/9/16
Oh well. Maybe Hasbro will surprise us with an Armada Sideways redeco or Road Pig or something else out of left field. Seems a shame to only use the mold twice.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

May 9, 2016, 4:31:25 PM5/9/16
Could we get a Unicron combiner? Not meant to represent Unicron himself, just characters touched by Unicron whose combined form is dominated by those influences.

Motormaster has the horns on the head, and some versions of Nemesis Prime are Optimii from other universes tortured or are just aspects of Unicron himself.

Sideways from Groove seems doable.

Bludgeon from Brawl is mostly doable, and he was a minion in DW Armada, the War Within II, and the recent GI Joe vs. the Transformers comics.

With new wings, nosecone and head, one of the Aerialbots might make a passable Universe/Armada Ramjet.

There was a very adequate Armada Thrust from Combiner Wars Skydive.

I would be bothered by planes the size of motorcycles, but other than that...

Zobovor

May 9, 2016, 6:17:43 PM5/9/16
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 1:24:04 PM UTC-6, David Connell wrote:

> Seems a shame to only use the mold twice.

Hasbro's got us brainwashed! We're so accustomed to buying eight redeco versions of every Combiner Wars toy that using a mold "only" twice seems wrong somehow!

Zob (just sayin')

David Connell

May 10, 2016, 9:14:00 AM5/10/16
Like that's a new thing. :-) Hasbro's had people brainwashed with the Seekers and Datsun boys for 3 decades!

banzait...@gmail.com

May 10, 2016, 11:43:09 PM5/10/16
Looks like they are both sold out. Is that it? Did I miss the boat? (Or motorcycle in this case)

-banzaitron

Zobovor

May 11, 2016, 12:04:17 AM5/11/16
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 9:43:09 PM UTC-6, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> Looks like they are both sold out. Is that it? Did I miss the boat? (Or
> motorcycle in this case)

I, too, seem to have missed the availability window. Geez, you spend a week getting ready for inventory and the entire world passes you by...

Zob (there's always eBay, but I'm not gonna pay $40 for Deluxe Groove)

William A. Rendfeld

May 11, 2016, 9:14:12 AM5/11/16
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 11:43:09 PM UTC-4, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:
> Looks like they are both sold out. Is that it? Did I miss the boat? (Or motorcycle in this case)
>
> -banzaitron

More listings should be available on the official day of release.