Deleted Dialogue from G1 Pilot Episode "More Than Meets the Eye" on YouTube

Zobovor

Oct 1, 2016, 9:41:48 PM10/1/16
The fans at web site transformertoys.co.uk recently acquired some cassette tapes that include some recording sessions for early G1 episodes. Here's the first one that they uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOQhJ_UA5E

There are scenes and dialogue that were evidently cut from the broadcast version, including some "new" banter between Wheeljack and Bumblebee, more generic Decepticon jets, and a repair scene for Bumblebee following the attack en route to Iacon.

Some people seem to think this represents the original voice session but I tend to disagree. For one, Soundwave's voice already has vocoder effects applied, which would be done in post-production. Also, there is an echo effect applied to all the character dialogue. The voices as they appear in the final episode don't have a reverb effect, so I'm thinking this was an early attempt at creating robotic-sounding voices for the cast and was eventually rejected in favor of the more familiar layered flanging effect. (I wonder if the fact that Challenge of the GoBots did use a reverb effect for the Guardians had something to do with this change.)

Discoveries like this are always so fascinating, and I'm eagerly anticipating more of these updates.

Zob ("Autobot alert! Transformation required!")

Rodimus_2316

Oct 3, 2016, 4:39:47 PM10/3/16
Awesome! Definitely going in my youtube favs! :)

Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "reverb?" You mean the the robotic-voice-enhancements done on the TFs in the G1 show?

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor

Oct 3, 2016, 8:10:30 PM10/3/16
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 2:39:47 PM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "reverb?" You mean the the robotic-
> voice-enhancements done on the TFs in the G1 show?

No, the robotic effect they used in G1 was flanging, when the vocal track is layered on top of itself and played back at a slight delay. In this recording with deleted dialogue, that effect is absent, but there's a slight reverberation (echo effect) to the character voices. In the final G1 cartoon, the only characters who got a reverb effect were the spacefaring characters like Astrotrain and Cosmos and Omega Supreme (but not, oddly, Blast Off or Sky Lynx).

Zob (not spacey enough for the space club, one presumes)

Rodimus_2316

Oct 4, 2016, 1:44:35 PM10/4/16
Oh, ok. I get it. Thanks. Didn't Triggerhappy have that effect in Japan's Japanese language Headmasters series? Could've sworn I heard that on the subtitled DVD of the show from a few years back.

- Rodimus_2316

Travoltron

Oct 4, 2016, 3:33:45 PM10/4/16
On 10/4/2016 10:44 AM, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
> Didn't Triggerhappy have that effect in Japan

Yeah, I think those Targetmasters did. IIRC, in that show the
Decepticons in general had heavy vocal effects and the Autobots did not.

Rodimus_2316

Oct 4, 2016, 4:09:03 PM10/4/16
But I think I recall Triggerhappy's was the loudest of all, right? Pretty sure.

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor

Oct 4, 2016, 7:10:14 PM10/4/16
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 11:44:35 AM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> Oh, ok. I get it. Thanks. Didn't Triggerhappy have that effect in Japan's
> Japanese language Headmasters series?

Dude, I couldn't even get through Headmasters in English. There's no way I'm watching that in Japanese.

Zob (the truth who the eyes met before!)

Rodimus_2316

Oct 4, 2016, 7:45:54 PM10/4/16
No, I mean in the subtitled DVD set.

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor

Oct 12, 2016, 12:49:32 AM10/12/16
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:41:48 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> Discoveries like this are always so fascinating, and I'm eagerly anticipating
> more of these updates.

Here's "More Than Meets the Eye" part 2:

https://youtu.be/Hf6KT0HOzZQ

Most of the Transformer voices continue to use the early reverb effect to their voices rather than the flanging used in the finished episode.

This also explains why Hound had a weird reverb effect to his voice in the finished episode when he says, "Sure is a lot different from Cybertron up here!" to Cliffjumper. It's not that they were driving through a ravine and ther was an echo, or anything like that. This is actually a vestigial reverb effect in the finished dialogue, after almost all the other lines of dialogue were flanged. I never realized every line of Transformer dialogue was originally going to sound like this!

Zob (but wait, there's more...)