Official Takara Masterpiece Ratchet and Takara Masterpiece Ramjet

Zobovor

Nov 14, 2015, 12:00:05 AM11/14/15
Perhaps predictably, Takara unveiled a Masterpiece version of Ratchet, which is suspiciously similar to Masterpiece Ironhide:

http://thetoysource.com/masterpiece/mp-30-ratchet

I like how they got around the issue of how to avoid pissing off the Red Cross organization by slapping Autobot symbols on his shoulders, thus not actually using the cross symbol.

I love the shape of his vehicle mode. It's so sexy. And of course it fits in the Optimus Prime trailer, just 'coz.

Also, they've finally branched into those lovable coneheads for the Masterpiece line, with Ramjet being the first release:

http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/102215/transformers_masterpiece_mp11nr_ramjet

Sadly, he is a Japan mall exclusive which means that a) he will be limited to 2000 units and b) will be essentially impossible to get at decent aftermarket prices. It's the Ganbo exclusives all over again. Sigh.

Still, maybe Hasbro will import the toy one day. It really is an impressive piece of engineering, with the prerequisite nosecone-for-a-head, two sets of weapons (big, fat bombs for the jet mode, standard Starscream-style arm-guns for the robot mode), some gigantic kneepads to emulate the way he was drawn in the show, and of course the alternate wings. Dirge and Thrust are officially inevitable now.

(There are people on the various message boards complaining how they're sick of how Takara is trying so desperately to make these toys look like some cartoon from 30 years ago. I'm so confused.)

Zob (would they prefer it if the characters looked less like themselves?)

Onu Matoran

Nov 14, 2015, 1:18:06 PM11/14/15
Mail-exclusive Ramjet IS a bit disappointing. I mean, he's not a repaint (which most mail-exclusive TFs are. (e.g. Tigertrack and Deep Cover), he's a fairly heavy retool. I have hopes that someday TRU will import it, though.

No One In Particular

Nov 14, 2015, 11:16:16 PM11/14/15
On 11/13/2015 11:00 PM, Zobovor wrote:

> (There are people on the various message boards complaining how they're sick of how Takara
>is trying so desperately to make these toys look like some cartoon from 30 years ago. I'm so confused.)
>

> Zob (would they prefer it if the characters looked less like themselves?)

People look for things to complain about. If he *didn't* look like the
cartoon model, they would complain about that.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the
people all of the time, but you can't please Transformers fans. Ever.
Period.

Brian

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Nov 17, 2015, 12:07:44 PM11/17/15
Hmm, Ramjet's robot cone is smaller than the jet cone, that means that this has two different nosecones, and is very different from his predecessors.