Pop Culture References in Transformers Tech Spec Quotes (and Their Origins)

Zobovor

Mar 18, 2018, 4:04:02 PM3/18/18
Most character mottos found on the original Transformers toy packaging were pithy quotes that succinctly summed up that character's perspective on life. Most of them were original quotes, but a few of them were cribbed from existing sources, often with only minor alterations. Oddly, the Decepticons tend to make even more obscure pop culture references than the Autobots, suggesting a deep familiarity with Earth culture.

What follows is a list I complied of the tech specs quotes that were borrowed from other sources. I have not yet found a good source for the individual Micromaster character quotes. I invite additions, corrections, and discussion.

AUTOBOTS

Bluestreak:  "I never met a Decepticon I didn't dislike."  Borrowed from a famous quote from cowboy Will Rogers, "I never met a man I didn't like."  (Many humorous variations of this quote have since sprung up.)

Inferno:  "Where there's smoke, there's me."  Taken from the old adage, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." Appropriate, since he transforms into a fire truck.

Air Raid:  "If you look first, you may not leap."  A response to the expression, "Look before you leap."

First Aid:  "An ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure."  A variation on the expression, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Pipes:  "One being's junk is anothar's [sic] art."  The more common version of this expression is, "One man's trash is another man's treasure," though variations of the quote closer to that of Pipes do exist.

Tailgate:  "Let my fellow mechanical beings go!"  A Biblical quote from Moses, who said, "Let my people go!"

Crosshairs:  "Don't shoot until you see the wires in their eyes."  The original quote is "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes," attributed to a general from the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775.

Rollbar:  "When the going gets tough, the tough get driving!"  The original adage is, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Searchlight takes the old chestnut "seeing is believing" and counters, "Seeing is, by itself, not enough for believing."

Cloudburst:  "You can't tell a bot by his cover!"  The original expression is "you can't tell a book by its cover." (See Bristleback, below.)

Dogfight:  "Don't fire 'til you see the lights of their eyes."  A variation of the Crosshairs quote above.

Hosehead:  "If at first you don't succeed, keep trying."  Very similar to the actual adage, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Siren:  "Act first, ask questions later."  A variation of Blitzwing's quote (below).

Tote: "A rolling Autobot gathers the most Decepticons." His quote has a completely different meaning than the original expression, "A rolling stone gathers no moss."

DECEPTICONS

Buzzsaw:  "My bite is worse than my bark."  A reversal of the expression, "His bark is worse than his bite."

Blitzwing:  "Destroy first, think later."  The actual expression is, "Shoot first, ask questions later."

Motormaster:  "These wheels were made for crushing."  Taken from the Nancy Sinatra 1966 song title and lyric, "These Boots were Made for Walkin'."

Predaking:  "Destroy first, ask questions later."  Variation on Blitzwing's quote (above).

Razorclaw:  "All good things succumb to those who wait."  A word play on the original expression, "All good things come to those who wait."

Swindle:  "Make deals, not war."  A reference to the anti-war campaign during the 1960's, "Make love, not war."

Vortex:  "I'm Vortex.  Fly me—if you dare!"  This was taken from an American Airlines commercial from the 1960's in which a stewardess suggests:  "I'm Linda.  Fly me!"  This was also reference by Starscream in Marvel Comics in issue #47.

Triggerhappy:  "Have gun, have fun!"  A reference to the name of the popular 1960's Western television series "Have Gun—Will Travel."

Finback:  "Ashes to ashes, rust to rust."  The actual Biblical quote is, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Piranacon:  "Underwater, no one can hear you scream."  The tagline for the sci-fi horror film Alien from 1979 was, "In space, no one can hear you scream."

Ruckus:  "I take a licking and keep on kicking."  Taken from the Timex commercials from the 1950's which claimed that their product "takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Skalor:  "I stink, therefore I am."  A corruption of a famous quote from the 1600's by the Latin phisosopher Descartes, "I think; therefore, I am."

Bristleback:  "You can't tell a Decepticon by its cover."  Variation on Cloudburst's quote (above).

Roughstuff:  "Shoot first, aim later."  Another variation on Blitzwing's quote (above).

Zob (who takes a licking and then takes a nap)

Optim_1

Mar 22, 2018, 9:43:20 AM3/22/18
That is quite a list of quotes you've put together. I know the references of only half of those you've compiled. You, sir, are a man of culture.

But I did find a few that you missed. Otherwise, I think you got them all.

Brawn: "Might over Microchips." A variation of "Mind over Muscle."

Guzzle: "'Tis Better to Have Loved and Lost than Never to Have Loved at All." Taken from the lyrics of the same words.

Flamefeather: "the Only Good Autobot Is a Deactivated Autobot." Taken from "the Only Good Indian Is a Dead Indian."

Snaptrap: "Broken Autobots Never Mend." Taken from the lyrics: "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart."

Iguanus: "Sow the Seeds of Fear and Victory Is Yours." Taken from the World War One poster: "Sow the Seeds of Victory."

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 16:04:02 UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> Most character mottos found on the original Transformers toy packaging were pithy quotes that succinctly summed up that character's perspective on life. Most of them were original quotes, but a few of them were cribbed from existing sources, often with only minor alterations. Oddly, the Decepticons tend to make even more obscure pop culture references than the Autobots, suggesting a deep familiarity with Earth culture.

My favourite quote is from a Decepticon, "Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action." Go figure.

However, another favourite is "Freedom Is the Right of All Sentient Beings." So, there's that.

Have you ever posted a list of referene quotes from cartoon episode titles? I know at least one: "a Deceptacon Raider in King Arthur's Court" is from the novel: "a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."

I bet you know that nearly every Darkwing Duck episode has a cultural reference title.

Zobovor

Mar 22, 2018, 6:46:51 PM3/22/18
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 7:43:20 AM UTC-6, Optim_1 wrote:

> But I did find a few that you missed. Otherwise, I think you got them all.

Ah, nice. I suspected there might be more that I didn't know about. Thank you!

> Have you ever posted a list of referene quotes from cartoon episode
> titles?

I'm considering doing pop culture references from the Marvel Comics stories and the Sunbow cartoon, which would include all the episode titles.

> I bet you know that nearly every Darkwing Duck episode has a cultural
> reference title.

Some of them are quite clever. Others, not so much.

Zob (wondering is Funko is ever going to do more Disney Afternoon action figures)

Optim_1

Mar 23, 2018, 9:55:24 AM3/23/18
On Thursday, 22 March 2018 18:46:51 UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
you!

> > Have you ever posted a list of referene quotes from cartoon episode
> > titles?
>
> I'm considering doing pop culture references from the Marvel Comics stories and the Sunbow cartoon, which would include all the episode titles.

I think that would be an ambitious project like your G1 soundtracks which is even more complete than the official one. You should be paid for your time.

> Zob (wondering is Funko is ever going to do more Disney Afternoon action figures)

I just want them to release the entire Darkwing Duck episodes on home video. They only released 2/3rd to DVD ten years ago.