(ZMFTS) Mystery Project! Is It A Decoy? Is It A PVC? Or Is It Something... More?

Zobovor

May 14, 2016, 8:32:59 PM5/14/16
I don't often unveil half-finished projects. It kind of irritates me when I see photos online of incomplete projects because I really want to see the end result, not some half-finished state, and it could be months or years before the finished version is unveiled. But that's just me.

Anyway, some of you may recall that some years ago, I was painting little PVC figures like crazy (Super Collection Figure or Heroes of Cybertron; didn't matter much to me) to create representations of some of the many background characters from the G1 cartoon. I've fallen away from it in recent years, though I still have a large box full of clear- and pewter-colored SCF figures that I could theoretically still paint into something. I never even reached my original goal of creating figures for the 30+ generic Decepticon jets.

There are a couple of guys from "The Ultimate Doom" (some would argue there are actually three of them, since Rhino tweaked the colors in one scene and created a "new" one), the ones who encountered Brawn during the hypno-chip rescue mission on Cybertron. One is kinda blueish-purple and the other is kind of teal. I avoided these guys for a long time, partly because I hate "The Ultimate Doom" in general (I can't adequately quantify why) and partly because I tend to build these figures into scene-specific poses, and these two random Decepticons really needed a Brawn figure to tangle with.

Well, there's no existing Brawn PVC figure, so I knew I'd have to cook one up entirely from scratch if I were to ever build a diorama with these guys. Recently it dawned on me that the Decoy version of Brawn might work well, since it's shorter than the PVC figures and therefore to scale with these Decepticon jet guys.

So, here's what I've got going so far, with a regular ol' Decoy version of Brawn for comparison:

http://www.zmfts.t15.org/zmfts_project_unfinished.jpg

I was going to make you guys guess why I was building this figure, but in the end my desire to explain my projects endlessly won out. I will make you guess which parts I used to rebuild Brawn, though!

Zob (hint: the new parts are clear- and pewter-colored)

banzait...@gmail.com

May 15, 2016, 10:55:25 AM5/15/16
In ten years, you will tell us how you detached the arms from your brawn decoy and you don't know what you were thinking! ;-)

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

May 15, 2016, 8:43:56 PM5/15/16
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 8:55:25 AM UTC-6, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> In ten years, you will tell us how you detached the arms from your brawn decoy
> and you don't know what you were thinking! ;-)

Oh, I bought that one specifically so I could hack it up into pieces. The one I've had since 1987 is safely out of harm's way. :)

Zob (is it decadent to want to own three Decoys of Reflector?)

Zobovor

Jun 15, 2016, 1:58:56 PM6/15/16
On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 6:32:59 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> I tend to build these figures into scene-specific poses, and these two random
> Decepticons really needed a Brawn figure to tangle with.

Here's the project as it stands now. I made this look easy, but cutting apart these PVC figures and reattaching their joints is actually a lot of work. I included a screen shot of the scene in question so you can see what I was trying to accomplish (yes, I know the poses do not match exactly):

http://www.zmfts.t15.org/brawn_vs_cons_unfinished.jpg

Zob (might start painting these today)