Zob's Thoughts on Combiner Wars Hot Spot/Defensor

Zobovor

Sep 27, 2015, 12:52:51 AM9/27/15
Today was literally the first time I've seen Hot Spot in a store anywhere, though he's been (allegedly) available since April or May. I recall seeing his case-mate, Cyclonus, a few months ago, so I guess that's something.

Pack-in collector card is not an illustration of this toy. It's actually art of the Asian Generations release, the one that was a redeco of Voyager-class "G2" Inferno. Since it shares a mold with Solra Stomr Grappel, Maybe I should start calling that toy Hot Spto. Anyway, why do they continue to include art of the wrong toys, and why is this okay?

It seems like, when it comes to tributes of the G1 characters, Hasbro places the integrity of the robot mode much, much higher than they do the vehicle mode. Hot Spot is light blue and he has a ladder, but that's literally the only similarity to the G1 toy. He's shaped a little like Sentinel Prime from Dark of the Moon, which is definitely a modern-era vehicle, not a 1980's one. With that said, I can appreciate the need to also turn this toy into Onslaught, so perhaps a more abstract vehicle mode was called for, one which could believably and convincingly be turned 'round backwards to create an alternate vehicle profile. Also, the ability of the ladder assembly to swivel, pivot, and raise is suitably impressive, and I like that Defensor's head actually pops open and serves double-duty as a personnel bucket, complete with a tiny little diamondplated surface on the inside for some imaginary fire rescue worker.

Front of the truck becomes the legs, with the windshield and cab sections forming the feet. Rear end becomes the arms, with the head hidden in the chest cavity and the chest plate flipping up in a familiar way. Ladder assembly is an utter nightmare. It's possible to fold it up into a relatively compact form that tucks away (mostly) behind his back, but good gravy, it's a pain.

His robot mode really shines. It's styled so dynamically and you can achieve so many cool-looking poses. No kibble hanging from his arms or legs and wonderful articulation. Of note is the ability of his knees to bend just slightly backwards so he can stand like the G1 Jetfire toy, or the Decepticon jets as they were firing on the dinosaurs in "Dinobot Island" part 2. He takes some cues from his G1 animation model, like the light blue helmet (it was black on the G1 toy) and the faux windows on his chest. He also borrows from the G1 toy, though, most notably with the silver-and-red hazard stripes (which were consumer-applied labels on the G1 toy; they're realized here as tampo applications on his shoulders, chest, and legs). He's armed with twin fireball cannons that he can hold in his hands or connect to the sides of his truck mode. No overt repair bay mode, though I like how the position of his Defensor chest shield halves nicely mirrors the G1 toy's "rescue vehicle" mode.

My first impression of the toy, though, was how disproportionately light he was. For a toy of this size, you'd think he'd be heavier. He's very hollow, with large, empty cavities inside his legs and ladder and chest. The chest is especially noticeable because his back is designed like a wooden crate, just slats going across his body, and his robot head is so obvious when it's tucked away. The advantage of this, though, is that there's less weight to bog Defensor down with, so he manages to stand up better. As a frame of reference, G1 Predaking needed really big boots, and had almost no leg articulation, because he was so top-heavy with all that die-cast metal.

Defensor mode is crazy because his ladder assembly runs all the way down the length of his body, folds and goes between his legs, and then wraps 'round his crotch and goes all the way back up the other side, terminating in the Defensor head. Defensor's head is particularly notable because they managed to pull off an unencumbered head. On the G1 toy, it was hidden inside an Inferno-style blue bucket assembly, but in the cartoon, Defensor was drawn with a standalone black helmet. They totally nailed the cartoon look, which is pretty impressive considering Defensor had so little screen time compared to the other combiners. He's practically a non-media character and yet they took the time to get him very right.

One thing I just can't get to work correctly is Groove's placement as the chest armor. He's such a wobbly toy anyway, and the way Hasbro asks you to use his arms to hug a piece of Defensor's chest is just not a secure way to lock him in place. Oh, wait. I just figured out that the hole from his pelvis plugs in, too. Well, that does improve things somewhat. Attaching him to the chest makes Defensor look less like Defensor, but whaddayagonnado. Groove's got to go somewhere. (Or, conversely, Rook's got to go somewhere. Like, far away. To get replaced with Unite Warriors Groove.) Doesn't he have a gun mode or something?

Hot Spot seems to suffer from cost-cutting in the extreme, but despite this, he's a great toy. At least in robot mode. Still warming up to the rescue truck mode. I'm just glad I finally have a complete set of Protectobots.

Zob (now to work on finding some Autobot limbs for Optimus Prime)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Sep 27, 2015, 2:16:45 AM9/27/15
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 9:52:51 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> Today was literally the first time I've seen Hot Spot in a store anywhere, though he's been (allegedly) available since April or May. I recall seeing his case-mate, Cyclonus, a few months ago, so I guess that's something.
>
> Pack-in collector card is not an illustration of this toy. It's actually art of the Asian Generations release, the one that was a redeco of Voyager-class "G2" Inferno. Since it shares a mold with Solra Stomr Grappel, Maybe I should start calling that toy Hot Spto. Anyway, why do they continue to include art of the wrong toys, and why is this okay?

Because no one has ever bothered to look at the collector cards. No one collects them.

And, GDO Hot Spot is an amazing toy, far, far better than Combiner Wars Hot Spot, even if he doesn't combine or particularly resemble the G1 toy.

> It seems like, when it comes to tributes of the G1 characters, Hasbro places the integrity of the robot mode much, much higher than they do the vehicle mode.

I'm not sure that's true. Toys like Universe Powerglide end up with radically different robot modes, and, of course, Go-Bots Soundwave looks nothing like the G1 character in any mode! Combiner Wars Prowl has only a modest resemblance to the G1 character.

> Hot Spot is light blue and he has a ladder, but that's literally the only similarity to the G1 toy. He's shaped a little like Sentinel Prime from Dark of the Moon, which is definitely a modern-era vehicle, not a 1980's one.

I can accept that. I wouldn't mind a Bumblebee that transforms into a modern Beetle (or one of the Beatles), and I wouldn't mind a Red Alert that transforms into a modern Lamborghini randomly made into a fire chief's car.

Grimlock, however, must always be an improperly posed T-Rex.

> Front of the truck becomes the legs, with the windshield and cab sections forming the feet. Rear end becomes the arms, with the head hidden in the chest cavity and the chest plate flipping up in a familiar way. Ladder assembly is an utter nightmare. It's possible to fold it up into a relatively compact form that tucks away (mostly) behind his back, but good gravy, it's a pain.

I guess I will try that again...

> His robot mode really shines.

He's a nice toy. The GDO Hot Spot is just a much, much better toy.

> My first impression of the toy, though, was how disproportionately light he was. For a toy of this size, you'd think he'd be heavier. He's very hollow, with large, empty cavities inside his legs and ladder and chest. The chest is especially noticeable because his back is designed like a wooden crate, just slats going across his body, and his robot head is so obvious when it's tucked away.

He doesn't feel like a high quality toy.

> The advantage of this, though, is that there's less weight to bog Defensor down with, so he manages to stand up better. As a frame of reference, G1 Predaking needed really big boots, and had almost no leg articulation, because he was so top-heavy with all that die-cast metal.

But, Predaking is amazing despite all of that.

> Defensor mode is crazy because his ladder assembly runs all the way down the length of his body, folds and goes between his legs, and then wraps 'round his crotch and goes all the way back up the other side, terminating in the Defensor head.

That is by far my favorite part of the toy, by the way.

> One thing I just can't get to work correctly is Groove's placement as the chest armor. He's such a wobbly toy anyway, and the way Hasbro asks you to use his arms to hug a piece of Defensor's chest is just not a secure way to lock him in place. Oh, wait. I just figured out that the hole from his pelvis plugs in, too. Well, that does improve things somewhat. Attaching him to the chest makes Defensor look less like Defensor, but whaddayagonnado. Groove's got to go somewhere. (Or, conversely, Rook's got to go somewhere. Like, far away. To get replaced with Unite Warriors Groove.) Doesn't he have a gun mode or something?

Groove makes the chest armor a lot more stable, at least on mine.

> Hot Spot seems to suffer from cost-cutting in the extreme, but despite this, he's a great toy. At least in robot mode. Still warming up to the rescue truck mode. I'm just glad I finally have a complete set of Protectobots.

> Zob (now to work on finding some Autobot limbs for Optimus Prime)

I have to find the White Optimus. I've got the limbots, Ironhide Red and Optimus Red just bother me together.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Sep 27, 2015, 2:38:15 AM9/27/15
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 11:16:45 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 9:52:51 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
>
> > Front of the truck becomes the legs, with the windshield and cab sections forming the feet. Rear end becomes the arms, with the head hidden in the chest cavity and the chest plate flipping up in a familiar way. Ladder assembly is an utter nightmare. It's possible to fold it up into a relatively compact form that tucks away (mostly) behind his back, but good gravy, it's a pain.
>
> I guess I will try that again...

I don't think I've figured out anything that resembles compact, but if you don't mind a bit of a difference from G1, you can raise the whole backpack assembly up, so it starts above his head and goes down to his knees. Not great, but better than nearly hitting his ankles.

> > (Or, conversely, Rook's got to go somewhere. Like, far away. To get replaced with Unite Warriors Groove.) Doesn't he have a gun mode or something?

I really like Rook. One of my favorites of Combiner Wars.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Sep 27, 2015, 2:50:18 AM9/27/15
For instance, you can give him a GIANT HAND! That's always a good thing, isn't it?

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Sep 27, 2015, 10:39:17 AM9/27/15
I mentioned this feature in my review, but conversely, you can also give him 2 GIANT HANDS holding MORE GIANT HANDS

I also like Rook, he makes sense as a law enforcement vehicle.

>Combiner Wars Prowl has only a modest resemblance to the G1 character.

That's because he's Streetwise with a Prowl head.

Zobovor

Sep 27, 2015, 10:52:11 PM9/27/15
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 12:16:45 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

>> Hasbro places the integrity of the robot mode much, much higher than they do
>> the vehicle mode.
>
> I'm not sure that's true. Toys like Universe Powerglide end up with radically
> different robot modes, and, of course, Go-Bots Soundwave looks nothing like
> the G1 character in any mode! Combiner Wars Prowl has only a modest
> resemblance to the G1 character.

Well, I don't know that the Combiner Wars '84 bots are really applicable here. The toys were clearly designed as Stunticons, Protectobots, etc. and just repurposed as a cost-saving measure. They're not the definitive versions of Sunstreaker, Prowl, etc. and were never meant to be.

As for the other toys you're citing, what you're saying is true, but it's also ancient history. Go-Bot Soundwave was released 20 years ago! The folks at Hasbro who vomited out that toy probably don't even work for the company any longer.

Maybe I just communicate in shorthand and expect everyone else to follow along in the thought process. It's possible. So, the complete, unabridged, hopefully-everyone-can-follow-along though process is as follows: Hasbro's CURRENT design philosophy, when it comes to designing toys with the intent of updating G1 characters, seems to place stronger emphasis on the integrity of the robot designs versus the original vehicle designs. With Combiner Wars, in particular, they're making an effort to capture the look and feel of the robots, but the vehicles seem to take a backseat, if you'll pardon the metaphor.

Zob (I'm fine if you want to try to prove me wrong, but not with toys from 1995)

Gustavo Wombat

Sep 28, 2015, 3:33:23 AM9/28/15
Powerglide, Seaspray, Bludgeon, Mirage, GDO Megatron (aka Mamogram
Megatron)...

--
I wish I was a mole in the ground.

Shin Hibiki

Sep 29, 2015, 11:45:25 PM9/29/15
Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>Groove's got to go somewhere. (Or, conversely, Rook's got to go somewhere. Like, far away. To get replaced with Unite Warriors Groove.) Doesn't he have a gun mode or something?

There's a fanwank where you hang him off the front of Rook,
sort of restoring his status as a leg...

- Shin Hibiki, also waiting for Unite Groove, and Unite Devastator

----
The race ain't over yet, baby
It's only just begun
They thought they had it won, baby
But soon we'll have 'em on the run

Zobovor

Oct 2, 2015, 1:02:12 AM10/2/15
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 1:33:23 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Powerglide, Seaspray, Bludgeon, Mirage, GDO Megatron (aka Mamogram
> Megatron)...

No way on Megatron. The toy was designed as Bludgeon. It was never intended to represent Megatron in any way, shape, or form.

Are you referring to Combiner Wars Powerglide or the old Ultra-class version? I will grant you the big electronic one. Good vehicle mode, terrible robot configuration.

SeaS.P.R.A.Y. or however the hell they parsed it was an abomination. That's barely a G1 tribute. Wrong design, wrong colors, wrong everything.

I actually kind of liked Bludgeon. He transformed into a tank, but his Pretender shell is far more iconic than his inner robot design, and what you think of when people say "Bludgeon." Pretenders are so hard to pay tribute to without actually making them Pretenders. Thunderwing was really good. Skullgrin, not so much.

I chalk up Mirage to the designers not really having a feel for what Classics would eventually become. He's almost a reimagining of the character, not a tribute to the G1 incarnation.

Not really being argumentative or saying you're wrong. Just exploring the issue.

There's a lot of modern-era toys who seem like they got redesigned vehicle modes just for the sake of going modern. Off-hand, I'm thinking of Universe Prowl, Special Ops Jazz, Classics Bumblebee, Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, Generations Gears/Swerve and Windcharger/Tailgate... All recognizable in robot mode, though. Then there are characters like Sergeant Kup or Scourge or Blurr whose vehicle modes were always futuristic, so it's not like they would be terribly dated in the same way an 80's Corvette or Volkswagen would be, and yet they changed those vehicle modes, too.

Zob (and don't get me started on Combiner Wars Mixmaster)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Oct 2, 2015, 9:03:33 AM10/2/15
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:02:12 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 1:33:23 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> > Powerglide, Seaspray, Bludgeon, Mirage, GDO Megatron (aka Mamogram
> > Megatron)...
>
> No way on Megatron. The toy was designed as Bludgeon. It was never intended to represent Megatron in any way, shape, or form.

It's like they took the JP samurai-car Megatron that never should have existed and combined it with classics G2 tank Megatron that should have never existed.

> Are you referring to Combiner Wars Powerglide or the old Ultra-class version? I will grant you the big electronic one. Good vehicle mode, terrible robot configuration.
>
> SeaS.P.R.A.Y. or however the hell they parsed it was an abomination. That's barely a G1 tribute. Wrong design, wrong colors, wrong everything.

This is the treatment Seaspray deserved. How many other characters ride on his vehicle mode in the cartoon? How big is an actual hovercraft compared to an actual car? My favorite part of Rumble in the Bronx is where Jackie Chan uses a Lamborghini to take down a hovercraft. It's gold Sideswipe VS Seaspray. I keep hearing the argument "he's supposed to be a mini autobot" and here we finally get him closer to in-scale (he's still too small to be in scale) and people do nothing but bitch about it. He didn't only go up to Prime's knees in the cartoon.

> I actually kind of liked Bludgeon. He transformed into a tank, but his Pretender shell is far more iconic than his inner robot design, and what you think of when people say "Bludgeon." Pretenders are so hard to pay tribute to without actually making them Pretenders. Thunderwing was really good. Skullgrin, not so much.

Bludgeon and Thunderwng were great. Pretenders were never all that even back in the day, these versions are so much better. Thunderwng's "drone" could have used some details, and not left a huge gaping hole in the nose maybe, but other than that.

> I chalk up Mirage to the designers not really having a feel for what Classics would eventually become. He's almost a reimagining of the character, not a tribute to the G1 incarnation.
>
> Not really being argumentative or saying you're wrong. Just exploring the issue.
>
> There's a lot of modern-era toys who seem like they got redesigned vehicle modes just for the sake of going modern. Off-hand, I'm thinking of Universe Prowl, Special Ops Jazz, Classics Bumblebee, Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, Generations Gears/Swerve and Windcharger/Tailgate... All recognizable in robot mode, though. Then there are characters like Sergeant Kup or Scourge or Blurr whose vehicle modes were always futuristic, so it's not like they would be terribly dated in the same way an 80's Corvette or Volkswagen would be, and yet they changed those vehicle modes, too.

Seargent Kup is terrible. Prime Kup is almost better.

Back in the 80's I don't believe licensing vehicle modes from auto manufacturers for toys was really required. Now car companies control the images of their cars even though they haven't actually made that car in 20+ years..

> Zob (and don't get me started on Combiner Wars Mixmaster)

is he better than ROTF Mixmaster and his factory misassembled parts and inability to combine?

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Oct 2, 2015, 9:30:45 AM10/2/15

> Back in the 80's I don't believe licensing vehicle modes from auto manufacturers for toys was really required. Now car companies control the images of their cars even though they haven't actually made that car in 20+ years..

Now that I think about it, now is the perfect time for Volkswagen to start to license their vehicle likenesses out, Imagine an ad campaign where beetle bumblebee apologizes for his robo-farts? could boost sales after the diesel engine software fiasco.

Zobovor

Oct 2, 2015, 9:25:57 PM10/2/15
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 7:03:33 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> This is the treatment Seaspray deserved. How many other characters ride on
> his vehicle mode in the cartoon? How big is an actual hovercraft compared to
> an actual car? My favorite part of Rumble in the Bronx is where Jackie Chan
> uses a Lamborghini to take down a hovercraft. It's gold Sideswipe VS
> Seaspray. I keep hearing the argument "he's supposed to be a mini autobot"
> and here we finally get him closer to in-scale (he's still too small to be in
> scale) and people do nothing but bitch about it. He didn't only go up to
> Prime's knees in the cartoon.

It's not the size that bothers me. It's the toy's design. It's so loosely based on G1 Seaspray that it's not really an update for the character.

I did check out that scene from Rumble in the Bronx, though. Never been a huge fan of Jackie Chan but I have to admit it's a fun moment.

Zob (as for Seaspray... c'mon, he's supposed to be blue and yellow)

No One In Particular

Oct 4, 2015, 1:16:22 AM10/4/15
On 10/2/2015 8:25 PM, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 7:03:33 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
>

> Zob (as for Seaspray... c'mon, he's supposed to be blue and yellow)

It's a good toy. It's just a terrible Seaspray.

Brian

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Oct 4, 2015, 12:32:04 PM10/4/15
He can be Seaspray's brother, Ocean Spray

Zobovor

Oct 4, 2015, 11:00:20 PM10/4/15
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 10:32:04 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> He can be Seaspray's brother, Ocean Spray

Voiced by Bobby McFerrin.

Zob (don't happy, be worry)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Oct 5, 2015, 9:29:08 AM10/5/15
Why am I so happy when people actually get my jokes?

Zobovor

Oct 23, 2015, 4:45:14 PM10/23/15
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 12:16:45 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I have to find the White Optimus. I've got the limbots, Ironhide Red and
> Optimus Red just bother me together.

It's a pretty uniform look, though. Optimus has blue; Mirage has blue. Optimus has red; Ironhide has red. The white on Prowl and Mirage complement each other, too. Really, Sunstreaker is the odd man out. Not counting whites and blacks and greys and silvers, though, the only actual colors in evidence are red, yellow, and blue. He's very cheerful. And tasty.

Zob (like a bag of Skittles)