Get Ready When Transformers 8 Hits Theaters by 2025!

Zobovor

Oct 5, 2015, 11:40:27 PM10/5/15
Seriously, Hasbro says they've got Transformers films mapped out for the next decade or so:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/hasbro-says-more-transformers-sequels-are-in-the-works/ar-AAf5Qzc?ocid=ansmsnent11

Transformers as we know it is going to continue to follow the sales model of movie-toy-line, stopgap-measure-until-the-next-movie, movie-toyline, stopgap-measure, etc. for the forseeable future. How much of the future is forseeable, really? Well, at least ten years, apparently.

I would complain, except that Combiner Wars is really a phenomenal stopgap measure and has given me heaps of enjoyment. Even if the next movie toy line is utter garbage (and we have no reason to suspect that it won't be), Hasbro's done okay by us lately.

Zob (suspects the reason we're not getting Combiner Wars Dinobots is because they've got some really nice non-combining ones planned for 2016ish)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Oct 6, 2015, 2:54:23 AM10/6/15
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:40:27 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> Seriously, Hasbro says they've got Transformers films mapped out for the next decade or so:
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/hasbro-says-more-transformers-sequels-are-in-the-works/ar-AAf5Qzc?ocid=ansmsnent11
>
> Transformers as we know it is going to continue to follow the sales model of movie-toy-line, stopgap-measure-until-the-next-movie, movie-toyline, stopgap-measure, etc. for the forseeable future. How much of the future is forseeable, really? Well, at least ten years, apparently.

Gah, the movies are terrible.

> Zob (suspects the reason we're not getting Combiner Wars Dinobots is because they've got some really nice non-combining ones planned for 2016ish)

I think the Dinobots are being held in reserve for the Movies, in case they want to use them for Age Of Extinction II or something.

Steve L.K. Macrocranios

Oct 6, 2015, 9:01:45 PM10/6/15
All it's going to take is one box office bomb and Paramount will drop the franchise like a sunken battleship. Then all this TF movie planning will go straight into Hollywood development hell. Hasbro will be left pitching movies of GI Joe, Micronauts, and maybe M.A.S.K. but nobody will listen. The toyline will revert to heavily supporting whatever kiddie oriented cartoon is on that season and Combiner Wars and Masterpiece will be the new G1 tha future generations grow up remembering as the golden age when TFs were super popular.

The franchise as it exists today is just one poorly performing movie away from being extinct.

Zobovor

Oct 6, 2015, 9:57:13 PM10/6/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:01:45 PM UTC-6, Steve L.K. Macrocranios wrote:

> All it's going to take is one box office bomb and Paramount will drop the
> franchise like a sunken battleship. Then all this TF movie planning will go
> straight into Hollywood development hell. Hasbro will be left pitching movies
> of GI Joe, Micronauts, and maybe M.A.S.K. but nobody will listen. The toyline
> will revert to heavily supporting whatever kiddie oriented cartoon is on that
> season and Combiner Wars and Masterpiece will be the new G1 that future
> generations grow up remembering as the golden age when TFs were super popular.

You're probably right, but... geez, can you imagine how much of an unmitigated crapfest a film would actually have to be in order to tank like that? I mean, if Revenge of the Fallen didn't ruin Transformers forever, I can't imagine what it would take.

I wonder if there are really kids who are buying Combiner Wars and Masterpiece toys who will be all nostalgic about Transformers when they grow up in 20 years? Somehow I just can't imagine the characters really meaning all that much to them without the associated media support. You and I know who Sunstreaker is because the cartoon breathed life into him and Corey Burton gave him this phenomenal voice characterization. To contemporary fans, Sunstreaker is a yellow guy who forms an arm or a leg.

Zob (and looks suspiciously like Breakdown)

No One In Particular

Oct 7, 2015, 11:29:09 AM10/7/15

I'm not sure it would necessarily take a crap fest, just people getting
tired of the same old same old. So far, the four movies have been, if
not interchangeable, at least extremely similar. (Explosions, jiggling
boobies, risque humor, etc.) I realize that it take a while for the
average movie goer to tire of such, but eventually they will. They'll
get tired of giant robots that all look alike kicking the crap out of
each other in the middle of all of the boobies and stuff.

Brian. Although an unimaginable crap fest might also do the job.

banzait...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2015, 7:55:16 PM10/7/15
I don't want to live in this world anymore

-Banzaitron

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Oct 8, 2015, 3:02:01 AM10/8/15
I think very, very few people were able to imagine the crapfest that ROTF was (it was truly uniquely terrible from scene to scene) and it didn't do the job.

No One In Particular

Oct 8, 2015, 8:58:04 PM10/8/15
That's a fair assessment. :)

That's why I think they will keep going until people just get bored with
it and want an updated gritty realistic Power Rangers franchise or
He-Man or something.

Brian