Zob's Subliminal Messages at Walmart

Zobovor

Feb 6, 2016, 10:29:28 PM2/6/16
Okay, so there was this Hot Wheels toy display on one of the "trend pods" (the short little three-sided endcaps; not every store has them) and it included a big picture of a Hot Wheels car jumping over a row of a bunch of other Hot Wheels cars. It vaguely reminded me of the scene from the G1 cartoon episode "The Autobot Run" in which Sunstreaker leaps over a bunch of the Autobots.

So, I did what any toy department manager who is obsessed with Transformers would naturally do. I drew a couple of speech balloons and had the car making the leap saying, "When they built me, they broke the mold!" and another on the ground is replying, "I always said you were moldy!"

I had fully expected one of my managers to eventually say something, but the trend pod, and the obscure pop-culture graffito, stayed up for about a month or so. My managers made sure to ask me about the boxes of Cheerios cereal I put on the Star Wars trend pod (they had coupons for Star Wars Hero Mashers so I thought it would be some good cross-merchandising) or what was going on with the La La Loopsie endcap (the home office sent me tons of the dolls for Christmas and I never sold through them all), but they didn't notice, or say anything, about the speech balloons.

I was going to take a picture of it yesterday for posterity before I took it down and destroyed it, but my phone battery was running down and I couldn't coax it into cooperating. I'm kind of sad about this, especially because of the "pics or it didn't happen" mentality" that runs rampant around these parts.

Zob (ask me about the do-it-yourself shelf tags at Toys "R" Us some time)

banzait...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 12:07:58 AM2/7/16
pics or it didn't happen

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

Apr 12, 2016, 7:08:38 PM4/12/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 8:29:28 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:

> It vaguely reminded me of the scene from the G1 cartoon episode "The Autobot
> Run" in which Sunstreaker leaps over a bunch of the Autobots.

It's not every day that the Universe gives you a second chance!

First of all, here's the relevant scene from "The Autobot Run" if you are not familiar with the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5EfetAa0w

...Aaaaaaand here's my new-and-improved Hot Wheels display, now with seventeen percent more Transformers content:

http://zmfts.t15.org/zmfts_broke_the_mold.jpg

Zob (master of the "two-percenter" joke)

David Connell

Apr 13, 2016, 10:42:39 AM4/13/16
Awesome.