Cartoon Viewing Club Reminder for December 15th: "Heavy Metal War"

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 9, 2017, 9:06:29 PM12/9/17
Just as a reminder, I unilaterally decided that this month we will be looking at "Heavy Metal War," an awesome, action-packed episode that probably made lots and lots of kids want the Dinobots and Constructicons for Christmas!

You don't have to write insanely detailed reviews like I do! There's no shame in participating by talking about a single favorite scene from the episode, or a general overview that doesn't go into a lot of specifics. There's room in this world for all types of commentary.

I realize it's a busy month for people, so remember that the 15th is just a guideline. You can post any time before or afterwards. I won't deduct points for bad timing.

Zob (I love Jimmy John's chips, but holy crap they are noisy)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Dec 10, 2017, 1:12:16 AM12/10/17
I'm participating this time!

https://www.watchcartoononline.io/transformers-1984-episode-16-heavy-metal-war#

Also where I get my Darkwing Duck.

Rodimus_2316

Dec 10, 2017, 2:28:24 AM12/10/17
The only thing that bugged me about this ep was that, at the end, the Constructions and other Decepticons fell into the lava, even though they could have just flown away. You could say they were low on power, but I don't see how, aside from Megatron from his fight with Optimus.

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 10, 2017, 10:32:24 PM12/10/17
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 12:28:24 AM UTC-7, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> The only thing that bugged me about this ep was that, at the end, the
> Constructions and other Decepticons fell into the lava, even though they
> could have just flown away. You could say they were low on power, but I
> don't see how, aside from Megatron from his fight with Optimus.

Actually, storyboards for the episode suggest that the Decepticons really CAN'T fly away. When Megatron takes their powers, he takes literally ALL their powers, including their ability to fly and even their ability to transform.

All this information was taken out of the final episode, so at this point it's pseudo-canon at best, but it does sort of explain some things.

Zob (dreading going back to work tomorrow... anybody want to guess how many pallets of toys will be waiting for me? Four? Eight? Twelve?)

Rodimus_2316

Dec 11, 2017, 2:40:57 PM12/11/17
Thanks for the info. Why did the G1 cartoon do things like that, leaving essential script-parts out? Another example would be Starscream's Brigade, when he told the Combaticons that they needed 5 TFs to repower them, then, after getting just four, they were reenergized anyway (you explained before about this). Other examples would be a lot of the cut scenes from TFTM, like how Megs and co. got past Prowl and co.' ship's threat-detections, and why Optimus is shown getting up when saying, "Maybe that's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron." What was the deal? Did they not want things to make sense, for some reason?

- Rodimus_2316

Optim_1

Dec 11, 2017, 10:08:05 PM12/11/17
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 22:32:24 UTC-5, Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys) wrote:
> On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 12:28:24 AM UTC-7, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
>
> > The only thing that bugged me about this ep was that, at the end, the
> > Constructions and other Decepticons fell into the lava, even though they
> > could have just flown away. You could say they were low on power, but I
> > don't see how, aside from Megatron from his fight with Optimus.
>
> Actually, storyboards for the episode suggest that the Decepticons really CAN'T fly away. When Megatron takes their powers, he takes literally ALL their powers, including their ability to fly and even their ability to transform.
>
> All this information was taken out of the final episode, so at this point it's pseudo-canon at best, but it does sort of explain some things.

Didn't the Decepticons fly in with Megatron to the Optimus-Megatron grudge match meeting and later fly after the Autobots to make sure that the Autobots kept their promise to leave Earth?

I remember this episode as having a different animation style to Toei or AKOM. Megatron's face seems different in this episode than in any other episode.

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 11, 2017, 11:15:24 PM12/11/17
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 8:08:05 PM UTC-7, Optim_1 wrote:

> Didn't the Decepticons fly in with Megatron to the Optimus-Megatron grudge
> match meeting and later fly after the Autobots to make sure that the Autobots
> kept their promise to leave Earth?

In the deleted scene I mentioned, Starscream complains that they're having trouble flying towards the site of the duel, and Megatron makes a remark about how he couldn't let Starscream walk there because it would tip off the Autobots. So, in the original version of the episode, the other Decepticons can technically fly, but not very well. (Like Autobots, basically.)

> I remember this episode as having a different animation style to Toei or
> AKOM. Megatron's face seems different in this episode than in any other
> episode.

It's definitely Toei. They even reuse some of the transformation sequences for Trailbreaker and Bluestreak that they animated for "The Ultimate Doom." However, the art style from the episode does have a distinctive look that doesn't pop up in too many other episodes. Some people seem to think that this is Masami Obari's artistic flair showing through, though I don't know enough about his art to be able to say for sure.

Zob (clearly, more research is indicated)