The Last Knight (heavy spoilers)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 22, 2017, 7:05:46 PM6/22/17
Ok, I already warned heavy spoilers.

I went to way too much effort to watch this movie. First, I went out to the theater, bought tickets for 11 PM at the theater that is under new, incompetent management. The film was scheduled at 11 PM. The screen was dark until 11:25 when they started the movie after cutting off the start. It had no sound. Not until 11:45 after many complaints. I missed a large chunk of the movie so I demanded a refund, only got a partial refund, and left.

This morning I went to the smaller independent theater and shared the theater with 10 adults and 2 pre-verbal babies. The babies made weird duck noises through sections of the movie.

The movie goes right into action. It says it's the Dark Ages. We have Knights, catapults, action, gore, this part is quite well done. Cut to Merlin, he's a gibbering drunk, totally ruining the previous very well done scene. He goes to the ship, says Arthur needs help, the giant Cybertronian "Knight" gives Merlin the staff to control the dragon. Dragon flies over and....falls on the fight and flails around on it's side and back.

Cut to 1600 years later. We see a lot of jumping around locations. There are a bunch of new military organizations hunting all Cybertronians. There are new Cybertronians falling from the sky. There is Simmons in Cuba with Topspin (from DOTM). All the scenes of Simmons for the whole movie are him on a pay phone talking, while Topspin wants him to go have fun.

Then kids sneak into Chicago, it's fenced off with cheap chain link fence. They see a ship, and there's a very old Cybertronian inside. They are chased by badly designed government mech sentries. The little girl saves them with the help of Sqweeks, who arm is blown off in the fight. They run to her house which is a trash pile named Canopy. The sentries designed to detect Cybertronians can't see Canopy, but they see him move in from satellite view. The satellite view can also tell that there are kids around him. Lennox (from the first and second movie) are controlling the satellite view, and "the kids are in danger" so they fly a drone over and shoot a missile into Canopy while he's standing right next to these kids. Surely the fact that the kids had stood next to the Cybertronian for a few minutes with nothing happens means an exploding missile is the safer option. The military decides to move in after the missile. But Cade swoops in in his imitation Jeep. He tells the kids to get in and has a Cybertronian gun he shoots a few sentries and Bumblebee breaks in and they all escape for a few hundred feet. They let the kids out through a hole in the fence. He breaks open a crashed ship and a very old Cybertronian soldier gives him a medallion. Cade gives the medallion back and the bot dies. The medallion grows legs and follows.The military corners Cade, and then Bumblebee busts in again to save him, and the Military blasts him to bits.

The end.

I wish.

Bumblebee magnetically pulls himself back together, completely reforming good as new. Bumblebee is immortal. Now Hound busts in and they have a standoff, and Lennox calls the military off because Bumblebee is a good guy. The other military guys say Cade is fugutive #1 and don't want to let him go, but they do. The military tags Bumblebee with a tracker.

Barricade is driving around Chicago too, and Megatron is hiding there. They need the medallion thingy. Barricade is very well done

Hound and Bee and the imitation Jeep with Cade drive to South Dakota, where he drives onto an Indian reservation and the local police and Indian chief calls Cade a racist and asks Cade to bring his squad car back. Cade drives into the junkyard, Drift is balancing on a sword, and Crosshairs starts a fight with Bumblebee, saying he's the real leader now. Cade tells them to shut up and goes and yells at Grimlock until he spits up the badly damaged police cruiser. Cade apparently hired a completely pointless assistant. Wheelie is also here. The little girl and Sqweeks stowed away aboard Hound who has his previous movie alt mode but with a medical red cross painted on the side. Cade tells the girl to leave, she says she can repair Autbots, and there are a bunch of mini Dinobots starting small fires. The "Junk Dealer" arrives and tells Cade that his medallion looks like an important artifact but it must be a fake. The junk dealer drops off Starscream's head and a new voice-box for Bumblebee. cade removes the old voice-box and Izabella installs the new voice-box and Bumblebee sounds like Siri, so he rips out the defective voice-box in disgust. Izabella puts Decepticon arm on Sqweeks.

Cut to Stanley Tuchi in a satellite observation office of some kind
Optimus is frozen and drifting through space.
British woman in a museum telling people that King Arthur was fake

The military says Megatron is dangerous, something is coming to destroy the Earth in 3 days, and then makes contact with Megatron (the only time you really see his jet mode and it's very long distance. From here on out every scene of Megatron has his faceplate transforming), and at Megatron's request they release Megatron's "team". There are alot of bots here, Mohawk, Onslaught, Nitro Zeus, Dreadbot, Berserker, and a few others. They each get their own introduction shots with their names on the screen, which the Autobots didn't get. We'll probably never see toys of most of them, even though they do get quite a few lines. The government sends their soldiers teamed up with Megatron into Cade's hideout even thought they already knew where it was before the tracker.

The police chief radios Cade that an army is coming for him. They get their weapons out, a bunch of other Autobots show up and Bumblebee, Drift, and Crosshairs escape with Cade. The other Autobots, including Hound, a big green thing and a crane, stay behind to hold the Decepticons back so Cade can escape. They get the shit blasted out of them. Bye Hound.

Cut to British woman's family makes fun of her for not having a boyfriend and looks at the weirdest Craigslist ads.
agent Simmons phones Anthony Hopkins

Cut to frozen Optimus hits Cybertron like a comet. He's inexplicably surprised Cybertron is coming apart. Quintessa meets with him and is "the creator." She tells him to sacrifice Earth to save the unraveling Cybertron. She turns the left side of his face from blue to silver. His eyes turn purple. Now he calls himself Nemesis Prime.

Back to the movie, there is an abandoned town they drive into, single story buildings with a lone stoplight. Cade has planted bombs all over the town.

The Decepticons are on the highway and Grimlock and Slag burst up from under the street and...roll around and flail wildly.

Once in town, Megatron picks up Sqweeks who was wandering around, and Izabella demands Megatron put it down, revealing Cade's position to Megatron, so Cade blows up that section of town with Megatron still holding Sqweeks. The US military sends in a swarm of armored drones that chase Cade and his assistant through the buildings in the small town and into a giant hotel or office building easily 10x bigger than any other building in this town. This giant building has a janitor and a guard that ignores the armed people and the drones.They go into the elevator, and Cogman is a 4ft robot in the elevator. He's a sarcastic asshole. The elevator doors open on he 10+th floor and a drone pushes Cade through the window. Cade manages to catch onto a drone, and use the drones as steps, to jump on and destroy the lead drone. The whole drone scene was completely idiotic. Cogman tells Cade and Bumblebee to get on his plane designed on a badly failed design from the 1940s that bumblebee can't fit on.

Cut to British woman's car locks her in, she breaks the window, so the car shoves her in the trunk, she opens the trunk so the car transforms into a Lamborghini.

Military is panicking a bunch of metal horns are popping up on various continents.

Cade's plane lands, in britain, by a castle. Anthony Hopkins and a WW1 Tank Transformer greet them. the tank falls apart and Anthony Hopkins spews gibberish until the Lamborghini arrives with the girl, who falls down a hill. Anthony Hopkins is 80% gibberish and now we have to see Cogman randomly assault people and forced Sexual tension between Cade and the random girl. The Lamborghini is Hot rod. People make fun of his French accent. Anthony Hopkins spends what feels like twelve hours tellign Cade and Vivian that Cade is The Last Knight from the 12 Cybertronian Knights, and that he's not getting laid. The Medallion proves it. He also reveals Vivian is the last in the "Order of Witwician" which protects the last of the Witwician family line. The scene has tons of 1/10th of a second shots of pictures from throughout history of famous events with Transformers in the background, and a ton of famous names listed off.

Flash to a scene of Bumblebee in WW2, he's a small military green car, and he somehow has 20 soldiers get out of him then he transforms into a armored bot and busts up a Nazi base. One of the artifacts Hopkins has is the watch that killed Hitler.

There is a picture of Sam Witwicky. It's revealed Vivian is the last of the family line, which implies that Sam Witwicky and his parents are dead. Only she can activate the staff of Merlin Witwician. Cogman keeps interrupting with pointless gags.

The castle was built on the Round Table. Vivian touches the Round Table, and it starts to activate so she withdraws. Activate the damn table!! Put your hand back! You need clues to the staff and you have a machine right there trying to help!!

Cut to a scene of Arthur and his knights around the round table in armor with glowing crosses on them. The Cybertronian Knights put their swords together above the table. 5 of them do anyway.

The military shows up and the tank bot and another bot in the family of a P51 Mustang promptly....trip and fall apart without a fight.

They have to go to Vivian's house because her dad had a bunch of old artifacts. vivian's family asks Cade if he has a dungeon. Tons of sexual innuendo as Cade and Vivian tear the artifacts apart as the family listens from the other room. Most of these lines at this point make no sense. A clue in a children's book tells them to go to the navy museum. The police are for some reason chasing them all through London. Anthony Hopkins changes from his car to a "decoy car" and everyone chases the decoy car in a scene inspired by Blues Brothers. Why did they chase the other car if they had previously known him to be in a different car?

Military scientists say Cybertron (the world ender they've been expecting for days" surprised them by hiding behind the sun. How are we surprised if we knew what was coming?

They all arrive at the submarine in the Navy Museum. Hopkins says he can't go further. The submarine comes to life when Vivian touches it. Jumps off the moorings and into the river, and gains a ton of new windows it never had before. The military follows in a bunch of research subs with machine guns that won't work underwater. Apparently they had only one nuclear attack subs. Cade's ancient sub steers itself and rams the military sub. Then Cogman fires himself out of the torpedo tune and comes back with fish, and makes a romantic dinner for Cabe and Vivian, inspiring yet even more sexual tension. The sub goes down to a ship at the bottom of the ocean. The research/salvage subs follow way lower than their crush depth.

Military and government offices are talking about how Cybertron is destroying satellites and space stations.
Simmons talks to Hopkins, saying the big horns would form a circle if not for continental drift, and the center of it is Stonehenge.
Autobots at the junkyard are just fine, and the junk dealer brings them a ship.

The ship on the ocean floor looks like Lockdown's ship from the inside and like Deep Space 9 from the outside. They say it's been underwater for 1600 years but somehow it still has air. Vivian touches something and the ship starts to activate. It pushes out the coffin of Merlin. They open it. Cabe is upset the coffin has bones and a stick and throws the stick on the ground. One of the 12 Knights comes to life and tries to defend the stick. the military fights, Vivian touches the stick and it's the staff now, because we haven't learned yet to make her touch everything. She threatens to drop the stick off the edge and the military says whoa hold on. More of the 12 Knights in the ship activate and start fighting the military, and Optimus busts in and destroys the knights and takes the staff. The ship surfaces and flies above the water, Bumblebee and Prime are fighting. Bumblebee suddenly starts talking and snaps Nemesis Prime out of it with his voice. Primes face turns blue again. Megatron comes and beats the crap of of Prime with Quintessa's Infernocons, who all look the same but combine to a bigger robot that looks the same. Megatron takes the staff and leaves. Then the 12 knights come out of the ship and beat the crap out of Prime. Prime apologizes and they say don't do it again. The 12 knights combine to form the dragon, which was never controlled by the staff.

Cybertron is hitting sections of Earth, dragging across the surface destroying cities killing millions.

Oh. Earth is Unicron. Yeah. It just is.

Apparently Megatron also has the Witwician bloodline as he can use the staff too. He and all of his crew go to Stonehenge to activate Unicron, but they were supposed to activate Cybertron?? wtf? The British military shoots at Megarton ineffectively. Anthny Hopkins is wandering around Stonehenge like a senile Alzheimer's patient. How the hell did he get there? Anyway Megatron shoots him and Cogman is sad. Megatron and his crew fly up to Cybertron

Cabe, Vivian are on the ground. The autobot ship comes in and Cabe's assistant and Izabella and Sqweeks come out after being absent most of the movie and say look, I found Prime. Was he lost? All the soldiers stop chasing after Cabe. Optimus flies off towards Cybertron (again).

The military discovers the "ignition chamber" of Cybertron. If I had to guess it's what's sucking the energy out of Earth to repower and rebuild Cybertron. We have no way of knowing how the military figured this out, or how it knew three days out Cybertron was even coming. The motto they have painted on the upper section of the military intelligence office is "I have to kill you" which is a bizarre motto.
They load helicopters in the Autobot ship and drop them on the Ignition Chamber. Most of them explode, and the one that doesn't has Cade, Vivian, Lennox, and all the other soldiers that have been fighting against the Autobots up until now. Sexual Tension. Sexual tension. Military held at bay by guns. Sqweeks sneaks up and destroys enemy guns. Somehow they lost track of Optimus again. It's all "wait for Optimus, Optimus is coming. Then they give up because the guy in the satellite monitoring center says magic bad physics good, lets use nukes. All the soldiers parachute off the ignition center and they use nukes to knock it over, but it doesn't stop. Prime and Bee and Cabe and Vivianare on the falling ignition chamber. They go inside to fight Megatron and Optimus and Bumblebee kill Quintessa.The staff stops, chunks of Cybertron rain down on Earth.n What was the dragon doing this whole time?

Optimus sends out another call to all Cybertronians to come to Earth.

Cut to one of the big horns in the desert. Woman in purple cloak goes to the small tent of researchers and tells them Unicron doesn't like them touching him but she can kill him.

Overall,the movie has a decentish idea, but spends way too much time on sexual tension and adds in way too many pointless comedy relief characters. Half of Anthony Hopkin's lines I wasn't even sure if he was saying words or not. I liked the overall robot designs. We got a lot of toy material we will never see.

Zobovor

Jun 22, 2017, 10:42:35 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 5:05:46 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

<snip>

Sounds like a real train wreck of a movie.

I had really hoped they were going in a different direction with this film and were going to produce something with a coherent storyline. Instead, it seems like they're still just hopping from locale to locale so they can blow things up, throwing in random ideas and concepts from previous versions of the mythos but using them in completely the wrong way. Still.

Why do they keep making these terrible movies?

Zob (maybe I'll Redbox it one day)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 23, 2017, 12:00:21 AM6/23/17
It would have been so much better had they cut about 1/3rd of the human characters and stopped trying to use awkward conversation, and rapid conversation of people trying to talk over each other as comedy. They underused the robots, they had robots show up and then just kinda vanish, then other robots just appear. They are still making Decepticon mouths look like....lady parts...

The end of the movie Cybertron is just sitting there a few miles above the Earth and everyone is just of the attitude of "we won, we're going home." Bitch you probably don't have a home any more. There's a planet connected tot he side of your planet. You dont think that's going to impact the planet rotation, or the ocean currents? Or the millions of miles of earth parts of Cybertron has already disturbed? Pls, they already brought Cybertron to Earth, two movies ago. They just used a Spacebridge that time.

Apparently now that Cybertron is mostly destroyed it can just move about freely in space at 1/10th the speed of light, but it can make it to our solar system in a few years where the nearest system takes 4.37 years at full light speed. 1/10th the speed if they were coming from the closest solar system would take 43.7 years. Lennox would look quite a bit older if it had been 43.7 years since DOTM.

Parts of the story were decent. They just brought in useless characters that may have had 1 line that revealed a relevant plot point, but they had 15 pointless lines. The handling of Unicron was mostly well done. It described continental drift well, and the artifacts and the knights were believable. Going back in history was way too glossed over. They should have slowed down the tour through Hopkin's history lesson and then cut most of his other parts.

I'm probably going to get Cogman, he's a Headmaster compatible with the TR line. I might get Nitro if I see him, the toy has a unique head but the movie appearance had Shockwave's head. Nitro is a headmaster too. I want to see hoe many other Last Knight toys end up Headmasters.

Grimlock, the "legendary warrior" is reduced to a pet. Topspin is just comedy relief, Drift and Crosshairs are just in the movie to prove they didn't get blasted. The 12 warriors we are only getting 2 of in toy form, and they look nothing like their movie counterparts, but the Knights were never really introduced so it's not like we can tell them apart. Infernocons are a downgrade from TF Prime Abominus, and again look nothing like their movie counterparts, but they come with a little Quintessa figure.

The tank and the P51 at the castle will probably never be produced. Will we get a black Nemesis Prime, now that they have established officially Nemesis Prime, or will there just be a purple eyed toy?

Many were reused robots from previous movies, Onslaught was a modified Long Haul with tow truck bits and smokestacks. Nitro Zeus is a remodeled KSI robot but he's getting his own Headmaster toy. Dreadbot was a rusty VW bus with christmas lights, but his robot mode was Crowbar from DOTM. Mowhawk seems to be original, but he's a small bike. I hope we get him as a bike. Hot Rod's toy is a heavily modified Lockdown, Drift is a heavily modified Drift (apparently his new vehicle shell is on backkwards, so the rear of the car is the chest.)

There is so much material here, and we will not likely see it.

Cappeca

Jun 23, 2017, 2:55:02 PM6/23/17
Em quinta-feira, 22 de junho de 2017 20:05:46 UTC-3, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. escreveu:

> He also reveals Vivian is the last in the "Order of Witwician" which protects the last of the Witwician family line.

You know, I'm sorry but I just can't even. Seriously, I simply can't even.

Zobovor

Jun 23, 2017, 3:19:46 PM6/23/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 10:00:21 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> It would have been so much better had they cut about 1/3rd of the human
> characters and stopped trying to use awkward conversation, and rapid
> conversation of people trying to talk over each other as comedy.

I had thought that that specific style of dialogue was a Shia LaBeouf trademark, but now since everybody's doing it, perhaps it's really a Michael Bay directorial decision. I will say that I hate the way most movie and television dialogue is so heavily polished, because it often sounds recited and that's not how people talk. (My wife watches Lifetime original movies with disturbing frequency and they're probably the worst offenders. And then there's Disney Channel, which I've dubbed the Screaming Teenagers Channel because all the young adults literally stand there and yell their dialogue. Maybe they should get some better boom mics or something?)

With that said, Shia LaBeouf was believable as a kid who often stammered and stumbled over his words and repeated himself frequently. His dialogue in the films always seemed natural and believable to me. Not sure how I would feel about an entire movie of people doing that, though.

> I'm probably going to get Cogman, he's a Headmaster compatible with the TR
> line.

It's hilarious to me that Hasbro perceives the Titans Return toy line as being so successful that they're shoehorning ideas from it into the movie toy line.

> Will we get a black Nemesis Prime, now that they have established officially
> Nemesis Prime, or will there just be a purple eyed toy?

It's a cheap and easy redeco so I'm sure they'll do it in some capacity. If Hasbro doesn't, then Takara surely will.

> Many were reused robots from previous movies, Onslaught was a modified Long
> Haul with tow truck bits and smokestacks. Nitro Zeus is a remodeled KSI robot
> but he's getting his own Headmaster toy. Dreadbot was a rusty VW bus with
> christmas lights, but his robot mode was Crowbar from DOTM. Mowhawk seems to
> be original, but he's a small bike. I hope we get him as a bike. Hot Rod's
> toy is a heavily modified Lockdown, Drift is a heavily modified Drift
> (apparently his new vehicle shell is on backkwards, so the rear of the car is
> the chest.)

I really don't get this. So, not only is Hasbro recycling the movie toys, but even the guys making the movies are recycling the CGI models for the characters. I guess they've been doing this since the second movie, but still. Are the movies just not making them the money that they were expecting, so everybody is just cutting corners all around? Or do they just think that people won't notice, because all the robots look the same anyway?

Zob (it's entirely possible I won't buy a single toy from The Last Knight if this is the direction we're headed)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jun 25, 2017, 9:45:20 PM6/25/17
I thought it was less worse than Age Of Extinction or Dark Of The Moon. And, it was better than Batman v. Superman.

So, that's three movies I can think of off the top of my head that were worse than it, which is not something I can usually do walking out of a Transformers movie.

Don't get me wrong, its a pretty bad movie, but it's a step up from the previous few.

Things that I thought worked:
-

Things that I liked:
- "It sounds kind of racist when you say it" -- perhaps a moment of self-reflection in the Transformers franchise?
- Cogman playing the background music
- Anthony Hopkins saying "dude" and "bitch"
- Baby Dinobots
- WWII era transformers even though they made no sense

Things that I found creepy:
- 14 year old girl in a push up bra
- 14 year old girl in a push up bra hanging out with a 46 year old man
- 14 year old girl in a push up bra handing out with a 46 year old man as his daughter is telling him to get a girlfriend
- There's probably no age of consent in international waters.

Things that I thought didn't work:
- Optimus turning evil
- Megatron just kind of being there
- Megatron having the face paint that lets us know he was being controlled.
- Every scene with Bumblebee
- Merlin
- Merlin's Staff (wtf are the rules about it)
- Baby Dinobots
- Mark Wahlberg's continued existence.
- Quintesson Queen
- Unicron
- Didn't they just move Cybertron to Earth a few movies ago?

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 26, 2017, 1:41:54 AM6/26/17
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 8:45:20 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> I thought it was less worse than Age Of Extinction or Dark Of The Moon. And, it was better than Batman v. Superman.

I thought DOTM was a little better, but definitely better than Batman V Superman and he last Superman-goes-fishing movie.

> So, that's three movies I can think of off the top of my head that were worse than it, which is not something I can usually do walking out of a Transformers movie.
>
> Don't get me wrong, its a pretty bad movie, but it's a step up from the previous few.
>
> Things that I thought worked:
> -
>
> Things that I liked:
> - "It sounds kind of racist when you say it" -- perhaps a moment of self-reflection in the Transformers franchise?

I liked that too, but then he went on to say other semi-racist things, so this didn't make him reflect on his words.

> - Cogman playing the background music

This part was the best of Cogman, not his randomly jumping people and trying to be HK47.

> - Anthony Hopkins saying "dude" and "bitch"

I couldn't even understand about 85% of the words that came out of his mouth and the ones I could understand didn't make any sense as their order spoken.

> - Baby Dinobots

It was the cute factor, but made no sense. Were they born or built? Is Grimlock a mommy? We also have Squeeks for the cute factor. And the girl.

> - WWII era transformers even though they made no sense

I thought they needed to have done a little more with them, at least introduce them properly.

> Things that I found creepy:
> - 14 year old girl in a push up bra

She looked 12

> - 14 year old girl in a push up bra hanging out with a 46 year old man

It's definitely a step down from hanging out with 46 million year old broken robots.

> - 14 year old girl in a push up bra handing out with a 46 year old man as his daughter is telling him to get a girlfriend
> - There's probably no age of consent in international waters.

Everything about Mark Wahlberg's character interacting with any other human cast is disturbing and borderline emotional abuse.

> Things that I thought didn't work:
> - Optimus turning evil

And then turning back after Bumblebee speaks with no voicebox.

> - Megatron just kind of being there

He led his army of 5 guys who got their own Suicide Squad style introductions.

> - Megatron having the face paint that lets us know he was being controlled.

I thought he dd that himself as a reverse Braveheart or something.

> - Every scene with Bumblebee

Especially the senes that spread Bumbleebee about the scene.

> - Merlin

There was no point to making him a drunk. It just wasted our time. Merlin Witwician? I still wonder if this means all the other Witwicky family are dead at this point?

> - Merlin's Staff (wtf are the rules about it)

They called it the staff "to control the dragon" and then it was the staff to control....everything?

> - Baby Dinobots

You already listed this. They didn't add anything to the movie, they were an expensive to render brief sight gag.

> - Mark Wahlberg's continued existence.

This movie is not supposed to mix in "Ted"

> - Quintesson Queen

Where TF was she during DOTM?

> - Unicron

I think they took this idea from TF Prime.But not all of it.
I think they got to the end of the movie and realized they forgot about those horns and had to add one more scene.

> - Didn't they just move Cybertron to Earth a few movies ago?

And why didn't the queen notice the last time? If it failed so hard with the spacebridge, why would you do better without it? Why didn't they try the staff McGuffin during DOTM?

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jun 26, 2017, 2:58:08 AM6/26/17
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 10:41:54 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
> On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 8:45:20 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> > I thought it was less worse than Age Of Extinction or Dark Of The Moon. And, it was better than Batman v. Superman.
> >

> I thought DOTM was a little better, but definitely better than Batman V Superman and he last Superman-goes-fishing movie.

The best description of Batman v. Superman was "no matter how much you've watched, there is still about two hours left".

I hate "Man Of Steel". I think it is a terrible Superman movie. But... it has a mostly coherent plot, and is internally consistent. It just requires you to ignore everything that has ever happened in any Superman story up to this point.

I think "Man Of Steel" was a better movie than "The Last Knight". I don't think it was a better Superman movie than "The Last Knight" was a Transformers movie though. Sometimes incoherent plot elements help -- it means you can ignore the movie when you want to. "Man Of Steel" was executed competently enough that some people think that was Superman.

> > So, that's three movies I can think of off the top of my head that were worse than it, which is not something I can usually do walking out of a Transformers movie.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, its a pretty bad movie, but it's a step up from the previous few.
> >
> > Things that I thought worked:
> > -
> >
> > Things that I liked:
> > - "It sounds kind of racist when you say it" -- perhaps a moment of self-reflection in the Transformers franchise?
>
> I liked that too, but then he went on to say other semi-racist things, so this didn't make him reflect on his words.
>
> > - Cogman playing the background music
>
> This part was the best of Cogman, not his randomly jumping people and trying to be HK47.

It would have made a great running joke, rather than a two-off. Every scene, have someone ask him to stop humming and then the background music vanishes.

> > - Anthony Hopkins saying "dude" and "bitch"
>
> I couldn't even understand about 85% of the words that came out of his mouth and the ones I could understand didn't make any sense as their order spoken.

Sir Anthony Hopkins. One of the greatest actors alive. Now working in one of the worst movies around.

They could have had just about anyone deliver incoherent lines, but they had Sir Anthony Hopkins. He was in one of my favorite movies, "Titus", and now this.

> > - Baby Dinobots
>
> It was the cute factor, but made no sense. Were they born or built? Is Grimlock a mommy? We also have Squeeks for the cute factor. And the girl.

Hey, you're getting ahead of yourself. I said that I liked them, not that they worked in any way.

> > - WWII era transformers even though they made no sense
>
> I thought they needed to have done a little more with them, at least introduce them properly.
>

> > Things that I found creepy:
> > - 14 year old girl in a push up bra
>
> She looked 12

The friend I saw it with said "Baby faced 23 year old? I don't want to think about this."

> > - 14 year old girl in a push up bra hanging out with a 46 year old man
>
> It's definitely a step down from hanging out with 46 million year old broken robots.
>
> > - 14 year old girl in a push up bra handing out with a 46 year old man as his daughter is telling him to get a girlfriend
> > - There's probably no age of consent in international waters.
> >

> Everything about Mark Wahlberg's character interacting with any other human cast is disturbing and borderline emotional abuse.

I'm not particularly prudish, but Michael Bay seems to be sexualizing progressively younger women, to the point where they are now girls. It's crossed the fine line from tantalizing to icky. That line was 18 (16 in some states).

> > Things that I thought didn't work:
> > - Optimus turning evil
>
> And then turning back after Bumblebee speaks with no voicebox.
>
> > - Megatron just kind of being there
>
> He led his army of 5 guys who got their own Suicide Squad style introductions.

He had no plan. He was just a lackey.

> > - Megatron having the face paint that lets us know he was being controlled.
>
> I thought he dd that himself as a reverse Braveheart or something.

Optimus had mind controlling face paint, I assume all face paint in this movie is mind controlling.

> > - Baby Dinobots
>
> You already listed this. They didn't add anything to the movie, they were an expensive to render brief sight gag.

I liked them (hence first entry), but they didn't work (hence this entry). No idea where they came from, but I assume it's yet another origin for Transformers.

> > - Quintesson Queen
>
> Where TF was she during DOTM?
>
> > - Unicron
>
> I think they took this idea from TF Prime.But not all of it.
> I think they got to the end of the movie and realized they forgot about those horns and had to add one more scene.

I assume it is setting up another movie, and will be completely ignored.

No One In Particular

Jul 15, 2017, 11:05:55 PM7/15/17
This movie had some really interesting stuff. I liked the stuff in the
beginning with Arthur and the knights; I even liked drunk stumble-bum
Merlin. It just seemed like it was choppy and badly edited. Jumping
from one car chase to another for example. And it seems to me that as
long as it was, there must be quite a bit on the cutting room floor,
because a lot of liking scenes seem to have been cut out altogether.

Brian
Message has been deleted

Murat Sarar

Jul 16, 2017, 8:09:10 PM7/16/17
It was entertaining and I enjoyed it (it's a Transformers movie after all). There were some good scenes in it but as a whole, it still disappointed me to an extent.

There was a lot they didn't even attempt to explain and was just kind of there. I was hoping that they would at least talk about Galvatron changing his name back to Megatron.

There was some continuity errors as well, why was Optimus surprised that his planet was destroyed? Didn't he see his whole planet get destroyed in DOTM? And why was Starscream's head whole (although to be honest, that one's just a small detail so no big deal)? It seemed like that they acknowledged some continuity bits from the previous movies and ignored all others.

So, Berserker was just a one off joke?

I thought that since they were giving Decepticons personalities this time, they would have more screen time and wouldn't die as easily. I was wrong, they killed three Decepticons at the start of the movie. I knew Onslaught was going to die from the TV Spot but I thought it was in the latter half of the movie. They even killed Mohawk (ok maybe not killed but they took him out of action, hoping that maybe he appears in the sequel). The first movie handled Decepticons a lot better (and more than half of the Decepticons didn't even talk in the first movie!).

Some characters quietly disappeared from the movie altogether. We saw Wheelie and Dinobots for a time but that was it. I guess Dinobots were still hanging out in the junk yard while all was going to hell.

I thought they were going to explain Quintessons' relation to Allspark but it was not even mentioned.(probably in the next movie)

Final battle was the weakest of the series. It's Joss Whedon's job to make anticlimatic final battles, not Michael Bay's.

I thought Sqweeks was going to be the new mascot of the movie, I thought we were going to see him constantly but...he was just kind of there in some scenes and that's it. To be honest, this is a good thing.

It seems Headmaster gimmick is just a dropped concept but for some reason they've decided to keep that line about Cogman being a Headmasters. They didn't explain what was a Headmaster.

I was also disappointed by the evil Optimus thing being too short. Like, Nemesis showed up for what? 5 minutes? 10?

It all felt rushed tbh. Some scenes just abruptly ended. I think they've removed some scenes to make the movie shorter.

I like the attempts at worldbuilding though and the story was overall fine too.

Hot Rod's slow-down time weapon was also very nice. We need more weapons like this in the movies.

Also about the Cuba Transformer, I thought he was a frankenstein-like amalgam of Leadfoot and Topspin. I was thinking that it had the mind of Leadfoot and the spark of Topspin.

I know, you people will say "what were you expecting?" but I was hoping that maybe Michael Bay would at least get these simple things right.
Message has been deleted

Gustavo Wombat

Jul 17, 2017, 2:28:19 AM7/17/17
Am I misremembering, or was every single Transformer acting like an idiot?
Good, bad, Autobot or Decepticon, they were all just stupid, showy,
obnoxious idiots. Were there any of them that you could not see saying
"hold my beer?" and remaining in character?

Earth is a battleground between two races of overacting alien idiots. I
think I'm on the side of the military that's trying to kill them all.

Cappeca

Jul 17, 2017, 3:00:17 PM7/17/17
Em domingo, 16 de julho de 2017 21:09:10 UTC-3, Murat Sarar escreveu:
> I know, you people will say "what were you expecting?" but I was hoping that maybe Michael Bay would at least get these simple things right.

That's the thing that hurts me the most. Transformers is now forever associated with Michael Bay movies. There's absolutely no expectation of excellence, to a point where you can't say if it's because of Transformers or because of Bay. I really have high hopes for the Bumblebee movie, and I'll be very disappointed if it sucks.

Zobovor

Jul 17, 2017, 7:05:23 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 1:00:17 PM UTC-6, Cappeca wrote:

> That's the thing that hurts me the most. Transformers is now forever associated
> with Michael Bay movies. There's absolutely no expectation of excellence

I think every franchise gets its really bad movie. The bad Lost in Space movie didn't ruin the 1960's TV series. The bad Flintstones movie didn't ruin the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Movies exist forever, but some of them fade, deservedly, into the annals of obscurity.

Transformers gets five bad movies, which is admittedly a lot. But one day they will stop making these movies and they will eventually be forgotten. And maybe Transformers can be thought of as excellent again.

Zob (not getting my hopes up about the Bumblebee movie)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Murat Sarar

Jul 28, 2017, 3:29:30 AM7/28/17
I'd say it's because of Michael Bay, there's plenty of potential for these movies. It's just that Michael Bay is more of a military movie type of guy, I don't think his style fits Transformers.

Either way, it's really sad that Transformers are basically what movie reviewers use as examples of bad movies.

Ultra Magnotron

Jul 28, 2017, 11:48:25 AM7/28/17
I don't mean to stray off topics, but is anyone else seeing deleted messages?
Since when are usenet posts just... deleted? Did something crazy just happen?

Zobovor

Jul 28, 2017, 6:42:33 PM7/28/17
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 9:48:25 AM UTC-6, Ultra Magnotron wrote:

> I don't mean to stray off topics, but is anyone else seeing deleted messages?
> Since when are usenet posts just... deleted? Did something crazy just happen?

Google lets you delete Usenet posts. I'm seeing a bunch of deleted posts in this thread, too. It's not completely unheard of.

Zob (still looking for Sixshot...)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jul 28, 2017, 8:35:40 PM7/28/17
I don't know how to do it, but yeah, there was a guy awhile ago that had his posts setup to auto delete after 48 hours.

As for Sixshot, I've seen 7-8 of them around, always at Target.

Murat Sarar

Jul 29, 2017, 2:24:41 AM7/29/17
Sorry, all these messages are mine. Google doesn't let you edit your post if it's already posted so I have to delete the whole thing.

Zobovor

Jul 29, 2017, 1:57:24 PM7/29/17
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 12:24:41 AM UTC-6, Murat Sarar wrote:

> Sorry, all these messages are mine. Google doesn't let you edit your post if
> it's already posted so I have to delete the whole thing.

No apologies necessary!

Zob (has deleted posts on occasion)

Murat Sarar

Jul 30, 2017, 1:18:00 PM7/30/17
29 Temmuz 2017 Cumartesi 20:57:24 UTC+3 tarihinde Zobovor yazdı:
Thanks for understanding.