Combiner Wars toy I'd like to see...

Rodimus_2316

Mar 17, 2016, 1:18:37 PM3/17/16
I think I may have touched on this before, but hear me out...

Even though I have all of the G1 DVDs (Rhino Home Video and Shout Factory), I still set my TiVo to record both early-morning G1 cartoon showings on DFC, and watch when I get home from work. They just recently aired Masquerade again, and it got me thinking again about there being a CW combiner of those same Autobots who impersonated the Stunticons:

Optimus Prime (was Motormaster)
Mirage (was Drag Strip)
Windcharger (was Wildrider)
Sideswipe (was Breakdown)
Jazz (was Dead End)

Would anyone like to see these five Autobots form their own gestalt, as themselves (with some toy-rearranging, as usual, I suppose) for CW? Could it be done?

- Rodimus_2316

Travoltron

Mar 17, 2016, 1:39:19 PM3/17/16
On 3/17/2016 10:18 AM, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
> Optimus Prime (was Motormaster)
> Mirage (was Drag Strip)
> Windcharger (was Wildrider)
> Sideswipe (was Breakdown)
> Jazz (was Dead End)

That's what they _should_ have done for CW in the first place, but that
would require Hasbro actually being familiar with their IP. They did get
two of those five done, though. They could have just as easily done
Sideswipe instead of Sunstreaker.

Maybe a third party will come through.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Mar 17, 2016, 8:25:48 PM3/17/16
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 10:18:37 AM UTC-7, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
> I think I may have touched on this before, but hear me out...
>
> Even though I have all of the G1 DVDs (Rhino Home Video and Shout Factory), I still set my TiVo to record both early-morning G1 cartoon showings on DFC, and watch when I get home from work. They just recently aired Masquerade again, and it got me thinking again about there being a CW combiner of those same Autobots who impersonated the Stunticons:
>
> Optimus Prime (was Motormaster)
> Mirage (was Drag Strip)
> Windcharger (was Wildrider)
> Sideswipe (was Breakdown)
> Jazz (was Dead End)

I would really like the molds to be updated to resemble the character that they are, but have the deco be the character that they are pretending to be. Decepticon symbols tempographed on, with heat sensitive squares showing their real allegiance.

It would have required much more authentic original molds though, as currently Mirage painted as Drag Strip is just Drag Strip. And in robot mode, he has the front of the F1 racer on the wrong side. (And Drag Strip doesn't have enough wheels)

Sideswipe and Jazz have a similar problem -- there is no current mold that matches their robot mode at all -- so even if you were to remold the vehicle shell, the result is going to be wrong.

We have a very different retooling for Motormaster, so Optimus as Motormaster would have been distinctively different from Motormaster by using the Optimus version of the mold.

But what I would have loved more than anything would have been an Energon Optimus Prime, with a drilltank, submarine, helicopter and firetruck.

I would also happily accept a Nemesis Prime, with 4 limbs in the Nemesis paintjob, and an explanation that the color scheme is effectively a virus. Who wouldn't want Nemesis Ratchet, Nemesis Sideswipe, Nemesis Wheeljack and Nemesis Smokescreen?

David Connell

Mar 18, 2016, 4:19:36 PM3/18/16
I want Ruination. Not the FOC Wreckers gestalt, but the RiD 2001 Commandos. Maybe with a Legends Sky-Byte as his weapon . . .

Zobovor

Mar 18, 2016, 9:09:34 PM3/18/16
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> Would anyone like to see these five Autobots form their own gestalt, as
> themselves (with some toy-rearranging, as usual, I suppose) for CW?

At this point, I think it would be more fun for Zhong Jin to do an unlicensed G1 "reissue" of the Stunticons, only in the colors of the Autobots from "Masquerade."

Zob (have I really not done a Photoshop of this idea yet?)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Mar 19, 2016, 4:47:15 AM3/19/16
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 6:09:34 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
>
> > Would anyone like to see these five Autobots form their own gestalt, as
> > themselves (with some toy-rearranging, as usual, I suppose) for CW?
>
> At this point, I think it would be more fun for Zhong Jin to do an unlicensed G1 "reissue" of the Stunticons, only in the colors of the Autobots from "Masquerade."

For a pretty mediocre episode, it seems to get a lot of love. But, we already have a proper Masquerade set -- the Stunticons themselves, as that's what the Autobots looked like in that episode.

But that is, admittedly, boring.

How about, to go with the Combiner Wars Optimus Prime, Tracks and Skids as legs (matching the Optimus leg blue) and Sideswipe and Windcharges as arms (matching Optimus red)? Give him dark blue hands and feet, and the combined mode for Optimus Maximus looks like... Optimus Prime, just larger.

Make use of the most recognizable color scheme in Transformers. Terrible, horrible use of it. Would it be any more ridiculous than Primal Prime, or Leo Prime? Maybe, but that would be it's charm.

It would be nice if they did more with the color schemes of the combined modes, so they weren't such a hodge-podge of colors.

banzait...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 10:55:25 AM3/19/16
No No No!!! do NOT give Hasbro any more excuses to reuse these molds ANOTHER time. For the love of GOD!!!!!!!

-Banzaitron (who's having difficulty resisting the G2 Stunticons)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Mar 20, 2016, 10:39:30 PM3/20/16
They aren't great molds, but they are very fun molds, with the mix-and-match play pattern. I wouldn't mind a new combiner team or two a year going forward -- a mix of new and old molds, perhaps, or some remolds.

I would love an evil set of rescue vehicles. Add in some movie style heads and hands, and give us Barricade out of Prowl/Streetwise, and then add in similar changes to Ratchet, Hot Spot, Rook and Blades -- new characters, added to G1, with some movie influences.

Terrorcons would be awesome.

Or a set of vehicles that have animal modes, to give Sky Lynx a more appropriate set of limbs. You could get a bulky quadroped mode out of a car pretty easily. Rework the combiner hand/feet to be animal heads (lots of beast heads grab things in BW, why not here?), and you could do some clever reshelling of existing molds.

Or just periodically create a toy for an existing character from another toyline. TF:Prime Vehicons that can act as limbs would be great, even if we never got a core figure that made sense (a RID Scourge or Nemesis Prime figure would be nice)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Mar 21, 2016, 9:58:03 PM3/21/16
I'll go one step further -- we got a whole lot of the Autobot cars in new combining toys, but the Decepticons are underrepresented.

I want a bunch of Decepticon jets.

I would be happy with a G1 Predator set, with Skyquake as the core, remolded from Superion, with Falcon, Snare, Talon and Skydive as limbs -- in their glorious "everyone mistakes us for G2" color schemes (bright neon green fists and feet? Awesome!

I would be happy with a set of Machine Wars Decepticon Jets -- although I find it hard to believe Megatron would be a limb.

I would be happy with Skylynx remolded as a Purple Griffon, and 4 of the 6 classic Decepticon Jets as limbs (with the other two coming out eventually, I guess).

I would be happy with a Megatron as space plane as the core, if they wanted to borrow a bit of the TF:Prime or Movieverse look.

But, I want some Decepticon planes. Blast Off is frightened to fly alone.

David Connell

Mar 31, 2016, 10:08:32 AM3/31/16
On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 9:58:03 PM UTC-4, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I would be happy with Skylynx remolded as a Purple Griffon, and 4 of the 6 classic Decepticon Jets as limbs (with the other two coming out eventually, I guess).

> But, I want some Decepticon planes. Blast Off is frightened to fly alone.

A gestalt using the Seekers as limbs is the only way I'd buy another set. After G1, Armada, Classics and Universe Legends Seekers. I've sworn off getting any more Seeker sets.

It's a cool team concept, but I don't see the need to recreate it with every single Starscream figure that comes down the line. Even the Legends Seekers I only got to bolster the population of Trypticon. Well, and because the Acid Storm Reprolabel set was pure awesomeness. :-) But a Seeker-based gestalt would be novel enough to get past my self-imposed ban.

Actually, maybe Silverbolt into Starscream (couldn't be worse than the Jetfire remold!), and then 4 of the other classic `Con jets as limbs. And the combined form could be a homage to "Underbase-enhanced" Starscream.

I already want a RiD Commandos/Ruination set from Bruticus - straight repaint, no other changes needed. A jet works fine for Movor, unlike Blast Off. And just to milk the molds further (and give us more combiner options) Hasbro could release RiD Scourge as an alternate torso to go with the Commando limbs.

Maybe a TFTM Autobot gestalt? Since this is the 30th Anniversary of the movie, it wouldn't be a bad idea. A blue & white Optimus/Motormaster remold as Ultra Magnus, Stunticon remolds as Blurr and Arcee, Alpha Bravo/Vortex as Springer and Deluxe Groove remolded as Wreck-Gar (similar to the Legends reuse). Make Wheelie the chest piece.

Remold the Deluxe Arielbots into Scourge, the Sweeps and Armada to go with Cyclonus and create a more cohesive Galvatronus.

For new molds, maybe the Beast? Which could then be redone as Dinoking.

mathewi...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2016, 10:39:26 AM3/31/16
I'd get the Jazz, Windchager and Sideswipe set to complete the Autobot not-Menasor combiner.

I'd also like Seeker limbs with Megatron bomber torso.

Also, the recent Deviations comic had a combiner who was Starscream in the torso, and had the limbs were Astrotrain, Soundwave, Thrust and Dirge, so let's see that! They can make Astrotrain from Blast Off and Soundwave from Trailbreaker with an alt mode like Animated Soundwave.

I'd also like to see the SG Knight of Unicron with Checkpoint, X-Brawn and the Autotroopers from the TFCC comics, and the Combiner Wars Guardian GoBots seen in a recent club fiction.

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/0/04/SpatiotemporalChallengers_High_Noon.jpg

Mathew

David Connell

Mar 31, 2016, 11:04:25 AM3/31/16
Other ideas:

Beachcomber from Swindle/Hound
Hoist from Offroad/Ironhide/Trailbreaker - just remold the thumb of the HFG to include a little fold-out hook!
Perceptor from the Offroad mold, patterned after the Generations figure.

mathewi...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2016, 11:54:55 AM3/31/16
I'd like to see the limbs for Sky Lynx be Tracks, Sunstreaker, Sureshot and Highbrow. He would be called Arrogant Maximus! Powerglide is his gun.

Autobot construction team would be cool. Grapple (from Hot Spot) as the torso with limbs that are Hoist, Wheeljack, Perceptor (from the First Air mold) and Ratchet. He could fix anything!

Decepticon Communications combiner - Soundwave from the semi-body. Laserbeak and Buzzsaw from jets as arms and Rumble and Frenzy from Brawl as legs. Ravage from Groove or Blackjack.

Mathew

Mathew

MWG

Mar 31, 2016, 7:42:07 PM3/31/16
Since we are talking about random teams, I'd like to see the following:

Decepticon Ground Assault
-Crankcase (from First Aid, 2007 movie colors are OK)
-Slicer (from Wheeljack)
-Dropshot (from Rook)
-Axer (from Groove, RiD2001 colors)

Decepticon Air Assault
-Dreadwing (from Skydive)
-Darkwind (from Air Raid)
-Acid Storm (from Fireflight I guess, since Darkwing needs to be done more and the Air Raid mold doesn't need to be reused three times in one set)
-Sunstorm (Fireflight, see above reasoning).

David Connell

Apr 8, 2016, 4:43:14 PM4/8/16
Let's see, just to continue to overturn the traditional Decepticon supremacy when it comes to gestalts, I propose a RiD Autobot combiner, drawn largely from Menasor.

RID Prime/Fire Convoy from Hot Spot, with a combiner head resembling his supermode head or the Omega Prime head

Prowl/Mach Alert from Streetwise/Prowl with remolded head
Side Burn from (maybe) Dead End with remolded head
X-Brawn from Offroad with remolded head, and maybe the capability to use his HFG as his own hand to simulate the oversized arm X-Brawn had. Or maybe based on Rook just to reduce the Stunticon reuse.

Skid-Z from Mirage (straight repaint, of course)

Blackjack repainted/retooled as whatever Spychanger makes the most sense. Hot Shot maybe?

banzait...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2016, 9:03:02 AM4/12/16
RID!!! I love the idea.

-Banzaitron