Titans Return Blurr based on box art?

brianj...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 8:02:05 PM1/16/18
So I was fooling around looking at AKOM vs TOEI color schemes for Blurr because I was interested if it was different enough for a Targetmaster recolor the way Hot Rod is getting. Turns out, a lot of the details of Blurr's first animation model are different than his final, and the 1986 toy doesn't do a half bad job at approximating it.

What I also noticed in the image search was a picture of Blurr's box art and I immediately thought of his so weird TR color scheme and it must be the source. The really pale blue almost grey of the toy didn't translate very well to his box art (although it did to the back of the box art) so he has that same very uniform color scheme as the TR toy.

I still think it's horrid but at least I know where it came from now.

Zobovor

Jan 17, 2018, 10:50:33 PM1/17/18
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:02:05 PM UTC-7, brianj...@gmail.com wrote:

> So I was fooling around looking at AKOM vs TOEI color schemes for Blurr
> because I was interested if it was different enough for a Targetmaster
> recolor the way Hot Rod is getting. Turns out, a lot of the details of
> Blurr's first animation model are different than his final, and the 1986 toy
> doesn't do a half bad job at approximating it.

There's an early version of his color model that uses a much more diverse range of blues, and even some shades of purple. It's much more visually striking, though I think I can understand why they toned it down.

> What I also noticed in the image search was a picture of Blurr's box art and
> I immediately thought of his so weird TR color scheme and it must be the
> source. The really pale blue almost grey of the toy didn't translate very
> well to his box art (although it did to the back of the box art) so he has
> that same very uniform color scheme as the TR toy.

You could very well be right about that. We know Hasbro has trolled the Internet from time to time for research about its own brand, so it's entirely possible they found an image of the box art and used it for reference. The possibility also exists that they were originally planning on a more Sunbow-inspired color scheme, but they had to drop some paint applications for budget reasons. "Too much paint" never seems to be a problem plaguing Hasbro toys these days. (Meanwhile, Takara is taking red Masterpiece toys and painting them red, just because they can.)

Zob (whose fan art was apparently used as reference for IDW's REGENERATION ONE comic book)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jan 18, 2018, 2:00:57 AM1/18/18
The red painted red plastic eliminates the problems of color matching, and the problems of scratches. I like it.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jan 18, 2018, 2:10:10 AM1/18/18
Yeah, whatever happened, the Takara version is better.

There aren't a whole lot of toys where I think that the Takara versions are so much better than the Hasbro versions that they are really worth the price bump, but Blurr is one of them. And Kup.

And that's about it.

banzait...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 8:54:30 PM1/19/18
AMEN! I have such tired head over the Takara version hysteria. I'm thrilled they have finally merged into one line.

-Banzaitron