Play Patterns

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Oct 2, 2017, 2:12:24 AM10/2/17
We're all adults here...

Have you bothered swapping heads on the Titans Returns toys? They are interchangeable, so clearly we are supposed to, but there are certain heads that belong on certain toys.

There's a difference between collecting and playing and sometimes we don't play. I always try to play with them, at least a little, to view them in a different light, and to view myself in a different light.

Windblade's head (Scorchfire, apparently) looks surprisingly good on Mindwipe. Better than Vorath.

I have found no head that looks good on Windblade, other than her original.

Repugnus inside the helmet of Sixswitch gives the main figure a "little boy playing dress up" look, which works really well for Sixshot's son.

Blunderbus looks better on TLK Nitro than he does on Broadside, but that's mostly because Broadside is Broadside...

Senor Swoop looks just find on Hot Rod, but not better or anything.

A lot of the toys have heads of very particular shades that don't work with other toys, where that shade is just out of place. I really can't quite get over how good the Windblade head looks on Mindwipe.

New and Improved Zobovor

Oct 2, 2017, 6:10:24 PM10/2/17
On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:12:24 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Have you bothered swapping heads on the Titans Returns toys?

Sometimes. I will confess that I don't usually make time to "play" with my toys properly. One of the problems, I think, is that I'm so attached to the canonical look of the characters that I don't like messing with that. (Honestly, it was different in 1987. All the Headmaster characters were brand-new to me and had zero history, so mixing and matching the heads didn't look "wrong" the way it looks to me now.)

Then there are the heads I own like "Clobber" (c'mon, we all know he's Grimlock!) who has no body to call his own. I would like to find a good body for him to wear, but sadly under most circumstances he would just look like Chromedome with a Grimlock head, or whatever.

One thing I've noticed is that Full-Tilt's head is an incredibly tight fit, both on his own body and on other bodies. That bothers me.

> Repugnus inside the helmet of Sixswitch gives the main figure a "little boy
> playing dress up" look, which works really well for Sixshot's son.

No heads really look good on Six Shot or Quickswitch except their own, due to the weird helmets.

Zob (didn't really play mix-and-match with the Combiner Wars teams, either)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Oct 5, 2017, 11:05:17 PM10/5/17
I dont switch as much as I should. I mostly swap around the Titan Master small toys onto the Deluxes. I'm kind of pairing up the small guys with the Deluxe their head looks best on. I put Fangry with Misfire, Crashbash with Mindwipe, Terri-Bull with Triggerhappy, but occasionally I do swap heads around. Though I try to resist putting Decepticon heads on Autobots and vice versa, until it registers I'm resisting and just swap em around to say I am doing it. Some of the Titan Masters have really good weapon modes, like Shuffler.

Gustavo Wombat

Oct 9, 2017, 1:07:24 PM10/9/17
New and Improved Zobovor <zobo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:12:24 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> Have you bothered swapping heads on the Titans Returns toys?
>
> Sometimes. I will confess that I don't usually make time to "play" with
> my toys properly. One of the problems, I think, is that I'm so attached
> to the canonical look of the characters that I don't like messing with
> that. (Honestly, it was different in 1987. All the Headmaster
> characters were brand-new to me and had zero history, so mixing and
> matching the heads didn't look "wrong" the way it looks to me now.)

Someday, Vorath will die. Humans and Nebulons are like the goldfish of the
Transformers lives — you get a pet, stick in in a goldfish bowl or head,
and then flush the remains down the toilet a little while later.

Given this, I can’t help but think that the human/nebulous components we
have are just documenting a brief phase in the Transformer’s life, like
when you had that haircut you thought looked cool.

Since the pets are surgically altered to become heads, do you think that
Mindwipe is just going to scrape out the Vorath bits, and then graft the
head parts onto someone else, or start from scratch? The only reason the
first heads resembled the original heads was just because they cannibalized
parts.

> Then there are the heads I own like "Clobber" (c'mon, we all know he's
> Grimlock!) who has no body to call his own. I would like to find a good
> body for him to wear, but sadly under most circumstances he would just
> look like Chromedome with a Grimlock head, or whatever.

Clobber with no body does make me wonder whether Clobber is Grimlock, or
whether something happened to Grimlock after he became a headmaster and
this is all that’s left. Or is he a crazy man who got himself made into a
copy of Grimlock’s head and is just following Grimlock around, begging to
be used?

> One thing I've noticed is that Full-Tilt's head is an incredibly tight
> fit, both on his own body and on other bodies. That bothers me.
>
>> Repugnus inside the helmet of Sixswitch gives the main figure a "little boy
>> playing dress up" look, which works really well for Sixshot's son.
>
> No heads really look good on Six Shot or Quickswitch except their own,
> due to the weird helmets.

Oh, Repugnus definitely looks like he’s wearing a set of clothes that are
way too big.

> Zob (didn't really play mix-and-match with the Combiner Wars teams, either)

You’re a monster.

--
I wish I was a mole in the ground.