Dave's TF5 Rant: Voyager Decepticon Nitro

Dave Van Domelen

Sep 9, 2017, 5:39:21 PM9/9/17
Dave's Transformers the Last Knight Rant: Voyager Wave 3

Decepticon Nitro (jet fighter)

This wave also includes Scorn, which I'll review separately.

CAPSULE

$25-30 price point.

Decepticon Nitro: Decent robot mode, good vehicle mode, transformation
that has a lot of problems in its execution. Compatible with Titan Masters,
but doesn't actually have one. Mildly recommended, mainly knocked down
because of transformation hassles.

RANT

Packaging: Standard TF5 Voyager box. This toy really has an identity
crisis, though...it's not just that the name is Nitro Zeus in the movie. The
movie character model is basically one of the unnamed human-built Decepticons
from Age of Extinction, with a Shockwave (Dark of the Moon) head spliced on.
The box art is of the AoE no-name with its original head. And the toy, while
inspired by that AoE no-name, has a head that is neither of the previous two
heads. Looks more like an evil Jetfire/Shockwave hybrid.

As noted in the body of the review, the jet mode doesn't look like the
movie either. Between this and Scorn (who wasn't even in Last Knight) I have
to wonder if this wave was entirely leftover designs that never got made for
Age of Extinction, but got dusted off to pad out a line that got very little
toy love compared to previous movies.

DECEPTICON: DECEPTICON NITRO
Assortment: C0891
Altmode: Jet fighter
Transformation Difficulty: 35 steps (gah!)
Previous Name Use: None (a no-modifier Nitro was a Japanese redeco of
Armada's Oval Mini-Con)
Previous Mold Use: None
Epithet: Lethal Hunter

Packaging: Seven ties hold the robot mode into the blister, with a
rubber band keeping the head from falling off (necessary in my case because
they didn't bother making sure the peg fit into the collar in the correct
direction, mine was turned sideways). Each of the missile pods is held in
with one tie, instead of having them mounted on the backpack.
It's notable that the packaging does not mention the removable head with
Titan Master compatibility. Nor do the instructions show that the head can
be removed (it doesn't have to come off for transformation). This is NOT a
Titan Master toy, strictly speaking, as the head cannot turn into a robot.
But you can put other Titan Masters on in its place (popular choice:
Thunderwing from the Siege on Cybertron set).

Robot Mode: In most respects, this is a fairly standard "Bayformer"
design. Lots of curved blade-like details all over where not covered by
vehicle elements, a head with the wrong number of eyes (at first glance
there's just the one big cyclopean eye in the middle, but if you put it under
sunlight or a strong flashlight you can see four more painted yellow, and
several other sub-optics that are painted over in black, so anywhere from 5
to 13 total eyes), digitigrade legs, and so forth. I'm trying to find a
clear picture of his robot mode from the movie, but everything that shows up
in searches so far is from murky scenes or ones with a lot of motion blur.
There has to be at least one or two good shots from the fight in the
abandoned neighborhood, though.
Near as I can tell, though, the physical molding is a reasonably close
match to the character model in the movie, modulo kibble and the Shockwave
head in the movie. The nose end of his jet mode splits apart to form a
shield integrated into his right forearm (it also could pass for a crossbow
like weapon, with fake canards looking like the limbs of a bow), while a
large vulcan autocannon extends from a housing on his left forearm. His legs
are covered in armor plating, damping the "backwards knees" look of his
digitigrade stance, and he has big thrusters on his back with missile pods
attached to them. Unfortunately, the tail end of his jet mode just hangs out
back. If they'd gone with a movie-accurate Rafale altmode, there'd be less
tail to worry about, although more wing. Smaller vulcan cannons flank his
head, the sort of design that only works if there's nothing important IN the
head. Given his limited characterization in the movie, I'd say Nitro doesn't
keep much of importance in his head, so losing it in the final fight probably
didn't kill him. :) One of the weirder details is on his abdomen, where rods
and gears are molded into the shape of draconic claws gripping his sides. It
feels like they tried to cram some Knight/Dragon motifs into him despite the
fact he's not a Knight of Cybertron...his head visor has a knight's helmet
sort of feel to it as well, with antennae/wings on the sides.
Amusing note: the thrusters on his back are supposed to be his jet
engines, but in both this toy and the movie, he turns into a single-engine
jet.
7" (18cm) tall at the head, his backpack with missile attached rises to
7.5" (19cm). The color scheme is predominantly light gray and black, with
some accents in red, dark copper, and yellow, plus a bit of incongruous
silver on one arm. Most of the toy is light gray plastic, although a lot of
the "skeleton" bits are black plastic. Black plastic is used for the collar
(with its attached guns), the antennae on the head, the inner shoulder parts,
the upper arms, the main cannon and its housing, the left fist, hinges on the
shield, some fake canards on the shield, the sides of the abdomen, the core
of the pelvis, the hips, the skeleton of the thighs, and some hinges in the
backpack. Clear slightly smoked plastic is used for the back of the head
(but there's paint over the entire visor area, so no lightpiping) and the
cockpit window on the shield. Everything else is light gray plastic.
Significant parts of the toy are painted gloss black, including the
background of the visor area, the sternum, the dragon claw bits on the sides,
the right fist and wrist, the inner bit of the toes and the heel claws (yeah,
his heels have four clawed toes, another dragon element), the sides of the
knees, and the intakes on the backpack thrusters. A slightly metalflaked
matte black plastic is found on many of the jet parts, and will be described
in the vehicle section. The main eye is painted yellow, and tiny dots on
four subsidiary eyes are also painted yellow. There's dark copper on the
tips of the abdomen claws, on several details on the feet, and some piping on
the shins. A dark gray 7 is printed on the right thigh armor pad, and a red
13 on the left shoulderpad. A matte black Decepticon symbol is printed on
the right side of the chestplate. The housing of the main gun is mostly
painted silver, perhaps intended as a match to the light gray paint? The
missile pods are dipped in white paint, and the thrusters are the folded up
wings and have the paint and printing described in the vehicle section (their
Decepticon symbols end up upside down).
The neck is basically a ball joint, but the collar base itself can tilt
forward for transformation, giving a little more range of motion. No waist
articulation, because the pelvis halves snap together. Universal joint
shoulders, upper arm swivels, hinge elbows on both arms. The shoulderpads
are on hinges to get out of the way some when necessary. The shield can
impede range of motion on the right arm. The left wrist has a transformation
hinge, but the right fist is molded in a single piece with the forearm.
Universal joint hips, hinge knees, hinge ankles. The armor plates over the
thighs are hinged, so when you bend the knees the plates can either follow
the thighs or stick up as big kneepads. The backpack thrusters are on struts
with a little wiggle range, but the whole wings-and-tail chunk does tend to
get in the way (it can be used as a support for some poses, at least). The
main gun can slide in and out of its housing, but the big tab on the housing
that at first looks like it controls this is just a transformation tab and
does not move.
The head is detachable and connects via a standard Titan Master peg
arrangement. However, there's a bit more open space around the socket than
in most Titans Return toys, leading to a looser fit (especially on my copy)
and the genuine need for that rubber band. The peg doesn't have a face
molded on it, and the head does not unfold into a robot form. Pretty much
everyone who has both this and the Siege on Cybertron set has put Thunderwing
on Nitro's body (I haven't yet, but I won't be opening my Siege set until it
hits the top of the review queue).
The hands can hold 5mm pegs, and the triple-rocket pods are on 5mm pegs
but look kinda dumb in his hands. They have dedicated 5mm peg holes on the
top back side of the thrusters. There's a 3mm peg hole on the underside of
the pelvis for use in flight stands.

Transformation: 35 steps seems about right. I was able to puzzle it out
without needing the instructions (other than making sure I didn't need to
remove the head), but it's pretty unforgiving on where things must be. One
leg flips out of the way to let the right arm swing down to poke out of the
bottom of the pelvis, hence the slight asymmetry in the torso (to allow for
the joint). Everything does eventually peg together well, but I had to use
Excessive Force (TM) to get the calves of the legs snapped into the gaps on
either side of the torso. The vulcan cannon retracts most of the way into
the arm, so it looks reasonably like a single jet thruster nozzle in back.
While in principle the head can stay on during transformation, it's
likely to pop off at some point, especially if the neck joint looseness is
endemic. The collar area needs to fold back so that the head doesn't scrape
along on the table, and it's a very stiff joint on a piece that itself has a
fairly loose hinge.
I often had to go back and re-attach bits when the force needed by later
steps caused others to pop out, but I didn't have anything actually fall off
other than the head and the backpack's fake thruster bits. At least the head
is supposed to be removable.
Transforming back to robot mode was mostly easier, as one might expect,
but folding the wings up into the backpack thrusters resulted in a lot of
panels popping off. Also, the head practically flew off when I started
pulling the legs out from the sides.

Vehicle Mode: This is some sort of 4th Generation fighter jet, lots of
F-16 Falcon elements (including the single tail and single jet engine), but
not quite a Falcon. The big difference is that the air intakes are on either
side of the cockpit rather than the single big intake on the underside as in
the F-16 and its competitors like the Chinese J-10. I can't find any real
jet with these slim rectangular intakes...they're like those on an F-15 but
way thinner, barely more than vertical slits. It might actually be based on
the Taiwanese F-CK-1 (yes, that's its actual designation), although the tail
doesn't quite match. There's a load of underside kibble, but it doesn't look
too bad from above. Note, the movie model turns into a completely different
4th Gen fighter, the Rafale (used for Skywarp and Thundercracker in Machine
Wars).
10" (26cm) long, with a wingspan of 6.5" (16.5cm), making it about 1:60
scale if it's meant to be about as big as an F-16. The color scheme is
predominantly light gray and black with touches of white and red. Most of
the black plastic parts are "hidden" in this mode, but the nose wheel strut
is black plastic. The cockpit window is colorless clear plastic, maybe very
slightly smoked. The nose section is painted in slightly metalflake yet
still matte black, and matte black is also used for the trailing edges of the
wings and the trailing edge of the vertical tailfin. A more saturated
non-metalflake black is used to print the Decepticon symbols on the wings.
There's thin red strips painted parallel to the fuselage but almost out at
the wingtips. The 7 on one thighguard looks more like a half-arrow now.
Some of the dark copper paint from robot mode is visible, but it's all on
kibble and not intentionally in vehicle mode.
The nose wheel folds out of the right forearm, while the rear landing
gear are on the machine cannons that flanked the head in robot mode. There's
a single 5mm hole under each wing, with very little clearance, really just
enough to fit the little missile pods. There's no 2mm pegs, but the openable
cockpit is fully compatible with Titan Masters that have non-busy faceplates
(i.e. Blurr's wouldn't work). Nitro's own head does not fit inside the
cockpit, it's too wide. It's meant to stay attached during transformation,
but it's just barely possible to get it attached after transformation as
well, the collar area can be pulled out a little bit to get the needed
clearance. The 3mm peg hole under the pelvis ends up kinda buried, but now
the belly button 3mm peg hole comes into play for use with a flight stand.
As nice as the jet mode is, though, it's such a hassle getting it
transformed that I'll probably leave this in robot mode.

Overall: An interesting design, but the engineering isn't quite up to
the task of making it work. Several snap-on hinges really needed to be
pinned, and the legs require too much force to get into place for vehicle
mode. Other than severe backpack-ness, the robot mode is good, and the
vehicle mode is pretty good as well. It's mostly just the hassle of getting
it between the modes that knocks this down a notch or two.

Dave Van Domelen, now to go to the other end of the complexity scale and
review some Cyber Battalion Series toys.

Patriarch

Sep 18, 2017, 12:02:56 AM9/18/17
On 10/09/2017 7:39 AM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> Dave's Transformers the Last Knight Rant: Voyager Wave 3
>
> Decepticon Nitro (jet fighter)

> This wave also includes Scorn, which I'll review separately.
>

> CAPSULE
>
> $25-30 price point.
>
> Decepticon Nitro: Decent robot mode, good vehicle mode, transformation
> that has a lot of problems in its execution. Compatible with Titan Masters,
> but doesn't actually have one. Mildly recommended, mainly knocked down
> because of transformation hassles.

A belated reply, but worth noting: Some Nitro figures have been turning
up with mis-assembly errors in the feet - usually two left or two right
feet. This happened to me today. Two left feet, so the right leg could
not clip together at all onto the left arm in vehicle mode, not could
the tail section secure down.
Be sure to check yours in package if you find it in the wild.

--
Patriarch
>.< oO(had to drive twenty kilometers to get my money back)

---

Gustavo Wombat

Sep 22, 2017, 11:57:29 AM9/22/17
Dave Van Domelen <dva...@eyrie.org> wrote:

> Decepticon Nitro: Decent robot mode, good vehicle mode, transformation
> that has a lot of problems in its execution. Compatible with Titan Masters,
> but doesn't actually have one. Mildly recommended, mainly knocked down
> because of transformation hassles.

Other than the fake thrusters that fly off in any attempt to transform him,
my copy doesn’t have any real problems. It’s a really nifty design, too.

But then, parts pop off if you try to transform him.

Other than the fact that he fails completely as a transformer because those
parts fall off, I rather like him.

> RANT
>
> Packaging: Standard TF5 Voyager box. This toy really has an identity
> crisis, though...it's not just that the name is Nitro Zeus in the movie. The
> movie character model is basically one of the unnamed human-built Decepticons
> from Age of Extinction, with a Shockwave (Dark of the Moon) head spliced on.
> The box art is of the AoE no-name with its original head. And the toy, while
> inspired by that AoE no-name, has a head that is neither of the previous two
> heads. Looks more like an evil Jetfire/Shockwave hybrid.

Huh. I knew he wasn’t Nitro Zeus but I didn’t know he was someone else.
What happened to the AoE no-name? Could he have adopted a new mode? Could
he have gotten a name?

> > While in principle the head can stay on during transformation, it's
> likely to pop off at some point, especially if the neck joint looseness is
> endemic. The collar area needs to fold back so that the head doesn't scrape
> along on the table, and it's a very stiff joint on a piece that itself has a
> fairly loose hinge.

Ok, mine has this problem too, but I immediately gave up on the head and
gave him a Titan Master, so I forgot about this.

--
I wish I was a mole in the ground.