ZMFTS Throwaway Joke Forever Immortalized on DVD

Zobovor

Aug 27, 2011, 11:06:44 PM8/27/11
Remember when we were talking about Hasbro stealing from my web site?

Well.

I was getting sick of sitting at home watching Star Wars with my
almost four year old (I've started watching it in different languages
just to make the experience a little different...and oddly enough,
characters like R2-D2 and Hammerhead say different stuff in the French
version), so we went shopping. I was prepared to have a horrible
experience at Target, but actually I picked up the first season of
Beast Wars for twenty bucks so I'm pretty happy about that.

I skipped to the DVD extras first because that sort of stuff
fascinates me, and during the retrospective called "Maximize! Creating
A New Breed of Transformer" they've got folks from Mainframe and
Hasbro talking about the downfall of G1 and the genesis of Beast Wars
as a brand. The feature is interspersed with various clips from both
shows, and at one point Christopher Brough of Mainframe is talking
about the toy assortment and the documentary shows one of Kenner's
catalogs for the Beast Wars toys. Specifically, one that I had
scanned and pieced together for my web site some years ago.

The kicker is that while it certainly looks authentic on the surface,
I'd originally uploaded it as a joke. Back in 2008, I wrote an
article on ATT called "If Hasbro Had Created Beast Wars Today" and, as
a gag, swapped out all the character names with trademarks that Hasbro
is fond of recycling endlessly. So, Tarantulas became Shockblast,
Polar Claw became Red Alert, Tigatron became Maximal Jazz, etc. It
was a very silly and cynical dig at Hasbro and I probably forgot about
it three days after I created it, at least until today.

http://tinyurl.com/3sfde5l

What's really funny is that it was on my old AOL web space which is no
longer online, so apparently somebody somewhere saved it on their
computer. And dug it up. And INCLUDED IT ON THE DVD.

That's right. According to the official Beast Wars Season One DVD
available in stores now, there was a wolf named Maximal Hound and an
armadillo named Demolishor.

Had I known that somebody was going to borrow the image, I might have
been a bit more careful and not or identified the pteranodon as both
Starscream and Dreadwing in the same catalog (or, for that matter,
spelled Dreadwing's name correctly).

As a refresher, here's a picture of the joke catalog I used to have on
the ZMFTS:

http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_TOTALLY_FAKE_JUST_SO_WE_ARE_CLEAR.html

And here's a screen shot from the DVD at time index 3:16—actually a
photograph of my television playing the DVD, just to demonstrate
there's no trickery here:

http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_dvd_epic_fail.html

(No comments about how dirty my TV set is. I have a young child and
six cats. Shut up.)

Zob

Chad Rushing

Aug 27, 2011, 11:30:34 PM8/27/11
> http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_TOTALLY_FAKE_JUST_S...

> And here's a screen shot from the DVD at time index 3:16—actually a
> photograph of my television playing the DVD, just to demonstrate
> there's no trickery here:
>
> http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_dvd_epic_fail.html

That's too funny! I actually remember seeing that on your web site at
one point, either when you first posted it or later when I was
browsing the site for some other reason. Congratulations! Your
clever sense of humor has been immortalized on DVD.

That reminds me of when some major news channel actually showed a
photo of Tina Fey from Saturday Night Live dressed as Sarah Palin in
the corner of the screen while discussing some recent news about Sarah
Palin.

- Chad

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 27, 2011, 11:16:30 PM8/27/11
>      http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_TOTALLY_FAKE_JUST_S...

> And here's a screen shot from the DVD at time index 3:16—actually a
> photograph of my television playing the DVD, just to demonstrate
> there's no trickery here:
>
>      http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_dvd_epic_fail.html
>
> (No comments about how dirty my TV set is.  I have a young child and
> six cats.  Shut up.)

Well, now someone needs to edit TFWiki to give us the original names
of these characters, so we know that Armordillo was previously named
Demolishor.

Gustavo

TigerMegatron

Aug 27, 2011, 11:57:11 PM8/27/11
>      http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_TOTALLY_FAKE_JUST_S...

> And here's a screen shot from the DVD at time index 3:16—actually a
> photograph of my television playing the DVD, just to demonstrate
> there's no trickery here:
>
>      http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/beast_wars_dvd_epic_fail.html
>
> (No comments about how dirty my TV set is.  I have a young child and
> six cats.  Shut up.)
>
> Zob

Zobovor,For a beyond long time,I always thought it was Ben yee Who was
stealing fellow ATT members ideas & presenting them to Hasbro as his
own.

Zob,I do remember that ATT thread you created years ago with the
changing of beastwars names into G-1 TF names. I even responded to it
& changed a few names you wrote in my reply to names I thought were
more better.

If anyone remember,way back in 1997,I original came up with the idea
on ATT. For the beastwars cartoon series. where I said: "since the
beastwars crew is in pre-historic earth,wouldn't it be cool if they
found the ark skip full of the MTMTE Transformers laying inside in
statis mode. then I said the beastwars crew should power up the
ark,move it a bit & re-crash it into mount st hillary."
I even wanted the 3 dinobots & shockwave to wake up in the beastwars
era & fight each other like they did in the early marvel comic
issues."

OFCAUSE BEN YEE,Presented this idea to mainframe,said it was his idea
& gave me Zero credit for originally comming up with the idea.

Since Ben yee,was rumored to be helping out with the Shout Beastwars
DVD extra's & stuff. perhaps Ben Yee,started stealing various STUFF
other ATTers wrote/created on ATT,then presented it all to Shout for
the beastwars extra's. Ben Yee might have stolen hundreds of stuff
others created & only a few meager handful of stuff got chosen.

As most know Hasbro does uses various ideas certain ATTers create on
ATT. I came up with the idea for a 4 legged ravage cat that
transforms into a liscense jaguar car. I also came up with the idea
of target getting a universe store exclusive of the year 2005
leobreaker toy mold repainted in beastwars 2nd white+gold lioconvoy
colors.

My guess is since most moderated TF message boards require people to
register first then post. Perhaps it's just easier for hasbro to look
at ATT for ideas,since their is no registering required.

Also I noticed most ATT threads are in google searches. don't believe
me,just type in Dino-Geist & you'll see a dozen+ google searches that
I created threads for on ATT.

Irrellius Spamticon king of the Potato people

Aug 28, 2011, 12:02:33 AM8/28/11

You also have 2 different starscreams....and apparently Bumblebee and
Starscream share a mold...

...Also Known As Thunder

Aug 28, 2011, 12:11:51 AM8/28/11
I think I remember the original thread. Wow, somebody sure didn't pay
enough attention when they put it on there did they? :) Congrats,
you've been immortalized! :)

t.k.

Zobovor

Aug 28, 2011, 4:44:12 PM8/28/11
On Aug 27, 9:57 pm, TigerMegatron <TigerMegat...@aol.com> wrote:

> Since Ben yee,was rumored to be helping out with the Shout Beastwars
> DVD extra's & stuff. perhaps Ben Yee,started stealing various STUFF
> other ATTers wrote/created on ATT,then presented it all to Shout for
> the beastwars extra's.

I would think that Ben Yee is knowledgeable enough to be able to
instantly recognize all the erroneous names and peg my catalog
immediately as a fake. I'm guessing it was some Shout! employee
editing the stuff together in post-production who just made a grab for
what appeared on the surface to be a legitimate toy catalog, not
knowing what it really was (or assuming that the incorrect names were
temporary placeholders).

What's really hilarious is that there's been some discussion about
this hetetofore undiscovered piece of Transformers "history" on the
message boards:

http://www.fullmetalhero.com/t2097-2/

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80063

I love how some of the Transformers historians are popping out of the
woodwork to make claims like, "Oh, yes, this was a catalog that made
its debut around BotCon '96, and Hasbro's marketing department hadn't
quite decided on what direction to go with regarding the characters,
you see..." Give me a break.

I want to just set all these people straight, but that would require
actually registering on the message boards, and I'm far too lazy for
that.

Zob

Zobovor

Aug 28, 2011, 4:44:40 PM8/28/11
On Aug 27, 9:16 pm, Gustavo Wombat <GustavoWom...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, now someone needs to edit TFWiki to give us the original names
> of these characters, so we know that Armordillo was previously named
> Demolishor.

I'm surprised they haven't already.

Zob

...Also Known As Thunder

Aug 28, 2011, 5:04:33 PM8/28/11
Zobovor wrote:
> What's really hilarious is that there's been some discussion about
> this hetetofore undiscovered piece of Transformers "history" on the
> message boards:
>
> http://www.fullmetalhero.com/t2097-2/
>
> http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80063

That's what makes this legitimately funny. Just watch--it will become a
part of the history of TFs and people will go around quoting it as fact.

t.k.

TigerMegatron

Aug 28, 2011, 6:03:19 PM8/28/11

Zob,Those losers on the Allspark message boards,if you registered &
properly explained your story. a bunch of allspark loser members/
trolls would just attack you,call you a liar,flame bait you. They'd
even go as far to tell you to provide proff,then once you've provided
the proof they'd still call you a liar,then they'd further flame bait
you since you'll be a newbie with 1 reply post,the @$$hole mods/admins
would think your a troll & ban you.

Zob,the allspark & the TFW2005 moderated message boards has a bunch of
the trouble makes,trolls & losers that use to post/reply in the 1990's
on ATT.

Zob,as long as everyone on ATT believes your story,that's all that
really matters.

the worst thing anyone can do,is to grab the flame bait & feed the
trolls. it's best to let those morons on the allspark & fullmetalhero
message boards ramble on like un-informed people.

personally,It would do more damage to educate these members because
then you might make them smarter. it's best to keep them as dumb as
possible so they don't hurt anyone.

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 28, 2011, 7:36:56 PM8/28/11

Zob, this has gone on long enough -- the fun is over. There are people
linking to this thread on AllSpark, and they're probably going to
believe that you made this all up years ago.

*We* all know that this is a "Classic Zobovor Joke Thread", doubtless
fantasizes about cleaning bathrooms at Target, but the world at large
won't realize this, and an important and iconic bit of Transformers
history will be lost to the ages.

I think you need to apologize.

Gustavo! (I'd apologize if I were you)

Message has been deleted

...Also Known As Thunder

Aug 28, 2011, 8:32:48 PM8/28/11
Janina Nowak wrote:
> You are a really sad person, you know that?

???

Zobovor

Aug 28, 2011, 9:04:51 PM8/28/11
On Aug 28, 5:36 pm, Gustavo Wombat <GustavoWom...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think you need to apologize.

All right. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that you're such a poo-poo head.

Zob...

Irrellius Spamticon king of the Potato people

Aug 28, 2011, 9:54:00 PM8/28/11

Everyone knows he stole it from Hasbro, he sneaks into their secret
labs like a ninja to meet his special connection and steal valuable
misprinted paperwork.

Evil King Macrocranios

Aug 29, 2011, 1:04:24 AM8/29/11
Holy hell is this funny. It makes me want to photoshop a Rock Lords
catalog with some old Machine Robo names in case Shout ever releases a
Battle of the Rock Lords DVD. Then some obscure French GoBots message
board can erupt in controversy over which rock was originally supposed
to be the Porsche and which one was supposed to be the Lamborghini.

Jim Sorenson

Aug 29, 2011, 1:35:29 PM8/29/11
Hilarious! And a shame, too, the Shout!Factory folks work pretty hard
to get us good extras, it's a shame to see a mistake like that slip
through.

JimS

Ala

Sep 5, 2011, 9:51:57 AM9/5/11

"...Also Known As Thunder" <dece...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Janina Nowak wrote:
>> You are a really sad person, you know that?
>

> ???

Hah kinda funny in a way