Toys R Us Founder is Dead

Travoltron

Mar 22, 2018, 6:39:09 PM3/22/18

I had no idea he was still alive. I can only imagine seeing a bunch of
morons and thieves crushing his life's work and legacy must have
worsened his health.

https://www.pnj.com/story/money/shopping/2018/03/22/toys-r-us-founder-charles-lazarus-dies/450183002/

Charles Lazarus, the founder of Toys R Us, has died at the age of 94,
the company announced on Thursday.

In 1948, Charles Lazarus returned from World War II and heard all of his
war buddies saying the same thing – that they were heading home to get
married and start having children. His instincts told him it was a good
time to open a store that sold baby carriages, cribs, and bassinets, he
told Entrepreneur magazine in a 2008 interview. And he was right.

Those instincts proved visionary again in 1957, when Lazarus began
opening toy superstores, stocked with aisles and aisles of playthings,
just as television was taking off, and fueling demand for toys like
Barbie dolls, Slinkys and Hula Hoops.

The company that Lazarus built raised generations of “Toys “R” Us kids”
but it now finds itself in the middle of bankruptcy and liquidation sales.

Over 6 billion in debt caused by a leveraged buyout in 2005 set the
company down a difficult financial path. That debt, along with increase
competition from rivals like Walmart, Target and Amazon, and changing
retail shopping habits proved insurmountable.

The company filed for Chapter 11 in September. Weak holiday sales caused
them to abandon their reorganization plan and move to full liquidation.
Going-out-of-business sales at stores across the country were set to
begin this week.

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Mar 22, 2018, 6:52:12 PM3/22/18
I just posted the same in another thread, although Lazarus left the company in 1998.

Zobovor

Mar 22, 2018, 11:28:42 PM3/22/18
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 4:39:09 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> Charles Lazarus, the founder of Toys R Us, has died at the age of 94,
> the company announced on Thursday.

https://i.redd.it/r52znawqmfn01.jpg

Zob