Transformers VS Gobots toys.

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 30, 2015, 1:17:09 PM6/30/15
Just a random wondering, how often would you choose Transformers over Gobot? If you had no character or show information as to personalities, if someone handed you a G1 toy and a Gobots counterpart, who would win?

Wreck Gar VS Cy-Kill,
Windcharger VS Turbo
Astrotrain VS Super- Spay-C
Starscream VS upscaled Leader-1
Cosmos VS Pathfinder
Huffer VS Road Ranger
Jazz VS Baron VonJoy
Optimus Prime VS Staks (Oddly enough both Peter Cullen)
Warpath VS Treds (Treds second toy was a recolor of Warpath)
Prowl VS Zeemon
Seaspray VS Water-Walk
Trypticon VS ZOD?

With no character information at all, how often would you choose the Transformers over the Gobots?

Cappeca

Jun 30, 2015, 4:13:00 PM6/30/15
Em terça-feira, 30 de junho de 2015 14:17:09 UTC-3, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. escreveu:

> With no character information at all, how often would you choose the Transformers over the Gobots?

Diaclone all the way. Faces are more detailed, the toys have better articulation, lots of weapons and look like real cars. It's not even fair. I'd even choose Diaclone over Microman.

Zobovor

Jun 30, 2015, 7:42:38 PM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 11:17:09 AM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> If you had no character or show information as to personalities, if someone
> handed you a G1 toy and a Gobots counterpart, who would win?
>
> Wreck Gar VS Cy-Kill

Wreck-Gar's toy is really simplistic and dorky for its size. Cy-Kill's toy transforms pretty much the same way, but you expect a simpler transformation for a smaller toy, and Cy-Kill is more classy. Cy-Kill wins.

> Windcharger VS Turbo

They're pretty similar. Windcharger is a more durable toy (Turbo's arm connectors are really fragile) but Turbo's got a cooler face sculpt with those snazzy shades. Turbo wins.

> Astrotrain VS Super- Spay-C

I never owned the Super GoBots version of Spay-C, but based on pictures, she's got a more convincing space shuttle mode. Astrotrain's got tiny, gimpy little arms that really bother me. I don't feel like I can really make an informed call here, but I'm edging towards Spay-C.

> Starscream VS upscaled Leader-1

Jet modes are comparable. Leader-1 has more detailing, but Starscream's got launching missiles and a cooler-looking robot mode. Starscream wins.

> Cosmos VS Pathfinder

Even though both of them are fantasy vehicles, Cosmos is more recognizable as a traditional flying saucer. Pathfinder's vehicle mode is kind of weird. She's got a cooler-looking robot mode (with actual separate legs, rocket boosters in her feet, etc.) but Cosmos is much cuter. Cosmos wins.

> Huffer VS Road Ranger

Huffer is much cuter in vehicle mode, but Road Ranger's got a trailer.

> Jazz VS Baron VonJoy

I actually got both these toys for Christmas in 1985. I recently got reacquainted with Baron Von Joy and his vehicle styling is much more authentic. I really strongly dislike the windshield-for-a-face look, though. Jazz wins.

> Optimus Prime VS Staks (Oddly enough both Peter Cullen)

Staks is a terrible, terrible toy. Windshield-for-a-face AND dorky arms. Even with the detachable fists, Prime wins by a landslide.

> Warpath VS Treds (Treds second toy was a recolor of Warpath)

Never owned Treds, but the toy looks absolutely terrible. Warpath.

> Prowl VS Zeemon

I think I like Zeemon's vehicle mode better (cool color scheme, less fragile, and the hatchback opens) but, once again, windshield-for-a-face. Zeemon is probably one of the better Super GoBots (not as cool as Psycho, mind you), but Prowl still wins.

> Seaspray VS Water-Walk

Seaspray has the cute factor going for him. Water-Walk is kind of a doofy toy, and I dislike his colors. Seaspray wins.

> Trypticon VS ZOD?

Trypticon all the way, no contest. Zod was a piece of garbage. Didn't even transform into anything!

> With no character information at all, how often would you choose the
> Transformers over the Gobots?

What's funny about the GoBots is that nearly every single toy did appear in the show in at least one episode, but with the focus so strongly on only six robot characters, there was virtually no characterization left to go around. And GoBots didn't have their personalities printed on the toy packages like Transformers did, so if you didn't see one of them in the show, you literally had absolutely no idea what he was like.

With that said, GoBots get a lot of flak for having really oversimplified transformations, but not all of them were like that. Some of them are extraordinarily clever. I got Heat Seeker for the first time a couple of years ago and I was blown away by this entirely novel transformation I'd never seen before. GoBots toys are cool, dammit. The cartoon was just second-rate.

Zob

mathewi...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2015, 7:39:55 PM7/1/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 1:17:09 PM UTC-4, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
> Just a random wondering, how often would you choose Transformers over Gobot? If you had no character or show information as to personalities, if someone handed you a G1 toy and a Gobots counterpart, who would win?
>
> Wreck Gar VS Cy-Kill,

I call fowl right away. Super Cy-Kill!

> Windcharger VS Turbo

Let's see... Runner tires, chrome, translucent plastic, better proportions... Turbo.

> Astrotrain VS Super- Spay-C

Super Spay-C is the right color. Win.

> Starscream VS upscaled Leader-1

Let's see... not a parts former, right colors, solid as a rock, ball joints... Super Leader one.

> Cosmos VS Pathfinder

Cosmos is barely has a robot mode. Pathfinder wins.

> Huffer VS Road Ranger

Built in trailer, chrome, head pops out during transformation. Road Ranger.

> Jazz VS Baron VonJoy

I do not mind the mecha styling of Von Joy, but Jazz has an amazing paint scheme and a missile launcher. Jazz.

> Optimus Prime VS Staks (Oddly enough both Peter Cullen)

Optimus Prime has a more useful trailer and more articulation and weapons. Optimus.

> Warpath VS Treds (Treds second toy was a recolor of Warpath)

Treds is highly underrated. Large, mobile, modern tank. Treds wins.

> Prowl VS Zeemon

Prowl. Love the transformation.

> Seaspray VS Water-Walk

Water Walk, highly mobile arms, legs and chest have diecast, cool sunglasses.

> Trypticon VS ZOD?

Zod is fun, but too simple. One thing to remember is he came out 2 years earlier. GoBots were about gone by the time Trypticon appeared in late 1986. So They never really went up against one another. Trypticon wins!

Mathew

Zobovor

Jul 1, 2015, 11:00:02 PM7/1/15
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 5:39:55 PM UTC-6, mathewi...@gmail.com wrote:

> I call fowl right away. Super Cy-Kill!

I dislike Super Cy-Kill. When you upscale that design, it becomes a really oversimplistic kiddie toy. What they did with the wheels and engine to keep them permanently attached to the toy was clever, but the toy is so fiddly as a result. Plus, they got rid of his chrome.

(Why the hell did they do a Super GoBots Vamp? I mean, VAMP, of all toys?!)

Zob

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jul 3, 2015, 4:14:27 PM7/3/15
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:00:02 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 5:39:55 PM UTC-6, mathewi...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I call fowl right away. Super Cy-Kill!
>
> I dislike Super Cy-Kill. When you upscale that design, it becomes a really oversimplistic kiddie toy. What they did with the wheels and engine to keep them permanently attached to the toy was clever, but the toy is so fiddly as a result. Plus, they got rid of his chrome.

You're complaining about a toy not having chrome? that's a bnus! It's less to flake off!

Ok,
Menasor VS Puzzler, integrated combiner parts and 6 cars vs add on parts and an out of scale semi.

Zobovor

Jul 3, 2015, 7:31:58 PM7/3/15
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 2:14:27 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> You're complaining about a toy not having chrome? that's a bonus! It's less
> to flake off!

Honestly, I've owned a lot of toys with vac-metal parts (Transformers, GoBots, TMNT, Star Wars, etc.) and the only time I've ever had parts flaking off was with the Beast Wars Transmetals. Hasbro obviously did something wrong with them. Seriously, I've got C-3PO toys from 1977 in better condition than my Transmetals.

With that said, Cy-Kill needs his chrome. It makes him look more like he could actually be made of metal. Without it, he's grey and boring.

> Ok, Menasor VS Puzzler, integrated combiner parts and 6 cars vs add on parts
> and an out of scale semi.

I like the way there are no extra combiner parts for Puzzler, but several of the individual cars are really weak. Rube and Zig Zag are basically the same toy (kind of like Bumblebee and Cliffjumper), Jigsaw is really Xybot-like, Crossword is a Turbo redux, and Pocket is a Sunstreaker rip-off.

The combined mode for Puzzler is a lot more freakish than Menasor. The Stunticon combined mode really doesn't play up the "cars mashed together" aspect the way Puzzler does, so I think I like his combined mode better.

Zob

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jul 3, 2015, 9:05:14 PM7/3/15
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 4:31:58 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 2:14:27 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
>
> > You're complaining about a toy not having chrome? that's a bonus! It's less
> > to flake off!
>
> Honestly, I've owned a lot of toys with vac-metal parts (Transformers, GoBots, TMNT, Star Wars, etc.) and the only time I've ever had parts flaking off was with the Beast Wars Transmetals. Hasbro obviously did something wrong with them. Seriously, I've got C-3PO toys from 1977 in better condition than my Transmetals.

I think there is something fundamentally different about the colored chromes that were used for the Transmetals and the silver and gold chromes more commonly used for toys. Either a change in materials, or a change in techniques required to get the color into the chrome.

Your 1977 C-3PO was made using the old chroming techniques/materials. Like the wings of a G1 Kickback, it will wear away where it rubs against things, rather than flaking off.

> With that said, Cy-Kill needs his chrome. It makes him look more like he could actually be made of metal. Without it, he's grey and boring.

Silver paint is a much better replacement for chrome than gray plastic.

And, metallic paint in general works way, way better than the colored chrome. We haven't had problems with the chest of BW Scavenger flaking or discoloring, for instance.

> > Ok, Menasor VS Puzzler, integrated combiner parts and 6 cars vs add on parts
> > and an out of scale semi.
>
> I like the way there are no extra combiner parts for Puzzler, but several of the individual cars are really weak. Rube and Zig Zag are basically the same toy (kind of like Bumblebee and Cliffjumper), Jigsaw is really Xybot-like, Crossword is a Turbo redux, and Pocket is a Sunstreaker rip-off.
>
> The combined mode for Puzzler is a lot more freakish than Menasor. The Stunticon combined mode really doesn't play up the "cars mashed together" aspect the way Puzzler does, so I think I like his combined mode better.

Weird crotches bother me.

This guy looks nice:
http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Renegades/Monstrous/monstrous.htm