So now Hasbro is taking over Power Rangers.

Travoltron

Feb 17, 2018, 12:06:13 AM2/17/18
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbro-saban-partner-power-rangers-toys-starting-spring-2019-1085401

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180216005346/en/Hasbro-Named%C2%A0Global%C2%A0Master-Toy-Licensee-Saban%E2%80%99s-Power-Rangers

I really don't like this for so many reasons.
Popy/Bandai has been making the Super Sentai toys since 1975. Saban has
truly fucked over that company.

I'm also worried about how Transformers are going to fare now that
Hasbro is going to devote time, money, and resources to this crap.

No One In Particular

Feb 17, 2018, 12:20:20 AM2/17/18
On 2/16/2018 11:06 PM, Travoltron wrote:

> I really don't like this for so many reasons.
> Popy/Bandai has been making the Super Sentai toys since 1975. Saban has
> truly fucked over that company.
>
> I'm also worried about how Transformers are going to fare now that
> Hasbro is going to devote time, money, and resources to this crap.

Which franchise does bigger business? I've never seen any numbers.

Brian

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Feb 17, 2018, 12:37:36 AM2/17/18
The truly terrifying thing would be if we start getting Power Ranger repaints in the Transformers line. The Power Rangers toyline has managed to maintain a quality of just below the 80s plastic Voltron or just below the 90's TMNT well into the newer years.

The shows I have caught an episode or so of have always been terrible, they make the newest RID series look masterful by comparison. The shows never got past the 70s in terms of production quality, the camera might have gotten better but the suits and sets haven't evolved at all.

I saw the first series because of combining robots, and the original Yellow ranger.But the robot sucked, and casting just got worse.

Zobovor

Feb 17, 2018, 1:22:10 AM2/17/18
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 10:06:13 PM UTC-7, Travoltron wrote:

> I really don't like this for so many reasons. Popy/Bandai has been making
> the Super Sentai toys since 1975. Saban has truly fucked over that company.
> I'm also worried about how Transformers are going to fare now that Hasbro is
> going to devote time, money, and resources to this crap.

This seems like a tremendously bad move. I don't have a lot of familiarity with the Power Rangers toys, but the few that I've come across were of exceptional quality. I have a few of the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog toys and they're some of the best action figures I've ever owned. I still hunt them down for projects today because there's nothing else that exists that's even comparable. (I just bought two of the Knasty Knight action figures from Power Rangers this week alone.)

Hasbro just doesn't make stuff that good. Their robot designs are great, but they cheap out on materials.

I don't think the acquisition of the Power Rangers brand will affect Transformers development directly (they'll head up an entirely different team for that, just like they've done with Star Wars) but I do worry about the concepts leaking into each other. The Megazords were always compared to Transformers ever since the show came to America. definitely wouldn't put it past them to mix n' match the toys to some degree.

Zob (won't be buying those, suffice to say)

Zobovor

Feb 17, 2018, 1:31:54 AM2/17/18
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 10:20:20 PM UTC-7, No One In Particular wrote:

> Which franchise does bigger business? I've never seen any numbers.

Power Rangers was huge when it was introduced in America in 1993 and was the top boys' toy line of 1994. I don't think I've ever seen any mention of it in lists of the top toys since then. Since then it's become a sleeper hit, like what Transformers was during the Beast Wars days.

Zob (worked at Toys "R" Us during the Christmas season in 1994 and will never forget it)

Travoltron

May 1, 2018, 2:01:47 PM5/1/18