Zob's Thoughts on Titans Return Legends-Class Brawn

Zobovor

Jun 6, 2017, 11:01:25 PM6/6/17
Took my daughter to her dance recital last night. Poor thing was supposed to do all these great, sweeping hand gestures, which is kind of hard to do when she's wearing a sling. We stopped for frozen yogurt afterwards (one of those sinister places that charges by the ounce, counting on the fact that you'll put tons of toppings on it) but I wasn't about to play their sinister game, so I stopped into the Target next door instead. Still looking for Sixshot! Found Brawn, which was nice. He's not Sixshot, but I like him.

The G1 Brawn toy seems like an experimental design, still working out the kinks while discovering how to get a vehicle to unfold into a robot shape. He was humanoid only by a huge stretch of the imagination... ridiculously skinny stilt legs, weird, permanently-bent arms terminating in big, huge, squared-off claws, and the faintest suggestion of a face. Brawn got a major overhaul for the cartoon, getting a more standard-looking humanoid design with normally-proportioned arms and legs and an actual, bona fide face.

The last Brawn toy was got was the tiny Legends toy from 2008. It was pretty good, though he really needed some paint applications (he had a silver helmet and a black face). This toy is a fair bit larger, and generally a more successful realization of the Sunbow cartoon design. He retains the classic green-and-yellow motif and also has metallic silver forearms and fists, a dark grey helmet, and a silver face with blue eyes. A major improvement over the previous toy, for sure, in the color department if nothing else.

His transformation is a little cheatsy, since the roof of his vehicle mode detaches to form a tire-embedded shield. We used to see this sometimes with the likes of G1 Octane, Apeface, etc. but it's a rarity nowadays. You can mount the shield on his back (the place his spare tire is supposed to go anyway) if you don't like it as a shield, but you still have to take him apart to transform him.

He transforms more like Gears of G1 fame, with legs that bend at the knees for transformation and arms that don't stray very far. The instructions specifically mention to rotate his head around so that his face is hidden. The shield covers his legs when he's transformed, hiding his robot feet and completing the vehicle shell.

Unlike Bumblebee and Roadburn, you can actually access the driver's seat for Brawn's vehicle mode without untransforming him. The cabin swings up on a hinge to reveal that literally the entire inside of his torso is hollow. It seems like they could have made the canopy out of clear or semi-translucent plastic, and just paint the roof parts green, but instead they did the same thing they did with Bumblebee and made it all opaque black.

Not sure who this toy is going to be repurposed as. (It's sad, somehow, that we all just accept this as an inevitability.) Outback would be the best choice, of course, especially since he's never gotten a modern-era update specifically made in his likeness. (I expect he'll be named Fallback, like the BotCon toy.) We've also discussed the possibility of this toy getting turned into Throttlebot Rollbar. Even if they made his vehicle mode a lighter, olive green and gave him those stupid rainbow-colored windows that the G1 toy had, it won't be significantly different. Also, the robot mode won't look right unless they completely redesign the chest and turn it into a faux vehicle canopy. I guess we'll see what they decide to do.

Weirdly, this would actually make a decent Gears toy. Even if they kept the vehicle mode the same, all they would really have to remold is the robot head and the chest. The general vehicle shape would work, and the robot legs are already perfect. Even the transformation would fit. Naturally, if they sold the toy as Gears, they'd have to do a version as Swerve, too. I never thought of Brawn and Gears as being mold-mates (except for the tires on the G1 toys, of course) but I wouldn't hate it. We already got versions of both characters in 2014, so I'm not sure what would be served in trotting them out again. This toy seems practically made for that purpose, though.

I would call this the definitive Brawn toy. I like that Hasbro has finally settled into the idea that Mini Autobots should be small, so these days they tend to sell them as Legends toys only. It just makes more sense. We might see all the Mini Autobots redone in this size class, eventually (we're not missing very many, at this point).

Zob (I wouldn't mind a newer, better Huffer/Pipes some day)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 6, 2017, 11:27:36 PM6/6/17

http://www.bwtf.com/toyreview-images/generations/titansreturn/brawn/officialrm.jpg

http://www.bwtf.com/toyreview-images/reveal/fallback/oncard.jpg

> We've also discussed the possibility of this toy getting turned into Throttlebot Rollbar. Even if they made his vehicle mode a lighter, olive green and gave him those stupid rainbow-colored windows that the G1 toy had, it won't be significantly different. Also, the robot mode won't look right unless they completely redesign the chest and turn it into a faux vehicle canopy. I guess we'll see what they decide to do.

Perhaps there will be a Rollbar redeco that will show up in Big Lots and Family Dollar, like the pre CW series we got Skywarp, Ultra Magnus, Cliffjumper as repaints of other legends toys.

> Weirdly, this would actually make a decent Gears toy. Even if they kept the vehicle mode the same, all they would really have to remold is the robot head and the chest. The general vehicle shape would work, and the robot legs are already perfect. Even the transformation would fit. Naturally, if they sold the toy as Gears, they'd have to do a version as Swerve, too. I never thought of Brawn and Gears as being mold-mates (except for the tires on the G1 toys, of course) but I wouldn't hate it. We already got versions of both characters in 2014, so I'm not sure what would be served in trotting them out again. This toy seems practically made for that purpose, though.

I like te 2014 version, and one of the things I really like about him is he looks like Gears and not Brawn. Of course from this description, Brawn looks like Gears. So it would be another pre-release if they did this.

> I would call this the definitive Brawn toy. I like that Hasbro has finally settled into the idea that Mini Autobots should be small, so these days they tend to sell them as Legends toys only. It just makes more sense. We might see all the Mini Autobots redone in this size class, eventually (we're not missing very many, at this point).

I still like the big Sea Spray. For all the times Bumblebee has ridden on Seaspray, the toy should be able to.

But then again
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/inhand-image-of-transformers-titans-return-seaspray-and-cosmos/38064/

Zobovor

Jun 10, 2017, 4:57:01 PM6/10/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:27:36 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> http://www.bwtf.com/toyreview-images/generations/titansreturn/brawn/officialrm.jpg

Not a Brawn toy. That's a disembodied Brawn head.

Zob (posting a link does not a rebuttal make)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 10, 2017, 7:47:45 PM6/10/17
It's sill a Brawn. Maybe not all of him, but still him.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jun 13, 2017, 11:41:13 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 8:01:25 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> Unlike Bumblebee and Roadburn, you can actually access the driver's seat for Brawn's vehicle mode without untransforming him. The cabin swings up on a hinge to reveal that literally the entire inside of his torso is hollow.

He can also keep a Titan Master in his torso when he is transformed into robot mode, which is nice. It means Brawn can carry Brawn around for instance.

> It seems like they could have made the canopy out of clear or semi-translucent plastic, and just paint the roof parts green, but instead they did the same thing they did with Bumblebee and made it all opaque black.

They did a really nice job with color matching here, better than Bumblebee and Chase.

> Weirdly, this would actually make a decent Gears toy. Even if they kept the vehicle mode the same, all they would really have to remold is the robot head and the chest. The general vehicle shape would work, and the robot legs are already perfect. Even the transformation would fit. Naturally, if they sold the toy as Gears, they'd have to do a version as Swerve, too. I never thought of Brawn and Gears as being mold-mates (except for the tires on the G1 toys, of course) but I wouldn't hate it. We already got versions of both characters in 2014, so I'm not sure what would be served in trotting them out again. This toy seems practically made for that purpose, though.

But then they would need to do a Gears Titanmaster, so Gears can bring his tiny doppelganger around with him. And then we're all going to want a big Apeface...

> I would call this the definitive Brawn toy. I like that Hasbro has finally settled into the idea that Mini Autobots should be small, so these days they tend to sell them as Legends toys only. It just makes more sense. We might see all the Mini Autobots redone in this size class, eventually (we're not missing very many, at this point).

The peg hole on the roof allows the Brawn Blaster Titanmaster vehicle to attach to the roof of Brawn's vehicle mode. It works best to transform the Titanmaster vehicle into gun mode exactly backwards, as the peg in in the wrong spot otherwise, but the gun works both ways.

In robot mode, the gun is somewhat unwieldy, being almost as long as Brawn is. But, he's a famously strong robot, so it works. Or you can keep the gun transformed backwards, peg it to the side of his arm, and the little yellow handlebar flap fits exactly over Brawn's arm tire, as if it was meant to be there. It really fits on well. It just makes him look like the love child of Brawn and Megatron.

The gun also works when transformed into the Speeder with the handle deployed, and Brawn can wield it on his shoulder like a bazooka or a SAM, with the handle pegged into his fist.

I refuse to believe that Brawn wasn't specifically meant to interact with Brawn. They really are kind of amazing together.

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Jun 14, 2017, 12:54:36 AM6/14/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 10:41:13 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 8:01:25 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> > Unlike Bumblebee and Roadburn, you can actually access the driver's seat for Brawn's vehicle mode without untransforming him. The cabin swings up on a hinge to reveal that literally the entire inside of his torso is hollow.
>
> He can also keep a Titan Master in his torso when he is transformed into robot mode, which is nice. It means Brawn can carry Brawn around for instance.

I don't know why they went to such lengths to not allow Seaspray to do this.

> > It seems like they could have made the canopy out of clear or semi-translucent plastic, and just paint the roof parts green, but instead they did the same thing they did with Bumblebee and made it all opaque black.
>
> They did a really nice job with color matching here, better than Bumblebee and Chase.
>
> > Weirdly, this would actually make a decent Gears toy. Even if they kept the vehicle mode the same, all they would really have to remold is the robot head and the chest. The general vehicle shape would work, and the robot legs are already perfect. Even the transformation would fit. Naturally, if they sold the toy as Gears, they'd have to do a version as Swerve, too. I never thought of Brawn and Gears as being mold-mates (except for the tires on the G1 toys, of course) but I wouldn't hate it. We already got versions of both characters in 2014, so I'm not sure what would be served in trotting them out again. This toy seems practically made for that purpose, though.

We just had a Gears like 2 years ago, if anything we'd get that again.

> But then they would need to do a Gears Titanmaster, so Gears can bring his tiny doppelganger around with him. And then we're all going to want a big Apeface...

Any sane person has wanted an Apeface since before TR wave one. And a Snapdragon. Maybe sane is the wrong word, but make them dammit. We need a Snadragon Titanmaster head that is similar to the G1 (also dinosaur head) that we can slightly remold into a Titan Master Sharkticon (give it legs, it's a whole Sharkticon)

> > I would call this the definitive Brawn toy. I like that Hasbro has finally settled into the idea that Mini Autobots should be small, so these days they tend to sell them as Legends toys only. It just makes more sense. We might see all the Mini Autobots redone in this size class, eventually (we're not missing very many, at this point).
>
> The peg hole on the roof allows the Brawn Blaster Titanmaster vehicle to attach to the roof of Brawn's vehicle mode. It works best to transform the Titanmaster vehicle into gun mode exactly backwards, as the peg in in the wrong spot otherwise, but the gun works both ways.
>
> In robot mode, the gun is somewhat unwieldy, being almost as long as Brawn is. But, he's a famously strong robot, so it works. Or you can keep the gun transformed backwards, peg it to the side of his arm, and the little yellow handlebar flap fits exactly over Brawn's arm tire, as if it was meant to be there. It really fits on well. It just makes him look like the love child of Brawn and Megatron.
>
> The gun also works when transformed into the Speeder with the handle deployed, and Brawn can wield it on his shoulder like a bazooka or a SAM, with the handle pegged into his fist.
>
> I refuse to believe that Brawn wasn't specifically meant to interact with Brawn. They really are kind of amazing together.

You're telling me i have to find a store that still has mini-brawn?

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jun 14, 2017, 3:17:33 AM6/14/17
Well, do you like your toys doing utterly preposterous things? Would you have a PrimeRID Warrior Grimlock leading around a bunch of Legion Grimlocks, like a mother duck and her ducklings? If that's what amuses you, then yes, you need mini-brawn. He's $6.50 on Amazon.

Mini-brawn can man the bazooka, even through it is basically the vehicle mode upside-down. The two pegs to hold the feet in are still in a good spot, and the lack of floor means his torso can just go the other way. It's the only time one of those Titanmaster Gun Things has ever looked good. Brawn hauls around a mini-brawn to man the cannons.

I do wish Titanmaster Brawn's robot mode had more paint to make him look a little more Brawny.

Hmm. In hoverbike mode, mini-brawn's vehicle has the gun handle that can raise up, and the handle has a hole down it... I think it's a minicon port! Yup, holds an Armada-style minicon perfectly. It's a shame there were no Brawn-based Minicons.

I bet there are airplane transformers where mini-brawn's hoverbike could peg on nicely under the nosecone, and make him a gunner...

If you don't play with your toys in silly ways, I'm not sure that mini-brawn has a lot to recommend him. He's a head. He comes with a very, very abstract transforming vehicle.

Zobovor

Jun 16, 2017, 2:28:38 PM6/16/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 9:41:13 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I refuse to believe that Brawn wasn't specifically meant to interact with
> Brawn. They really are kind of amazing together.

I finally dug out the itty bitty Brawn to see how the two toys interacted together, and I have to admit they're a good fit for each other. Their colors are a good match, and the oversized gun reminds me of the weapons that the Action Masters carried around. The peg on the itty bitty Brawn is just slightly too small to fit tightly in the peg-holes for the larger Brawn, which is a shame, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I especially like the gun mounted in vehicle mode. I like to imagine that if one set of gun batteries is exhausted, the entire gun can just rotate around, deploy the other two blasters, and keep firing.

Zob (I wouldn't have bought this set if it was sold together for $15, and yet that's exactly what I paid for it)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jun 17, 2017, 4:05:42 PM6/17/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:28:38 AM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 9:41:13 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> > I refuse to believe that Brawn wasn't specifically meant to interact with
> > Brawn. They really are kind of amazing together.
>
> I finally dug out the itty bitty Brawn to see how the two toys interacted together, and I have to admit they're a good fit for each other. Their colors are a good match, and the oversized gun reminds me of the weapons that the Action Masters carried around. The peg on the itty bitty Brawn is just slightly too small to fit tightly in the peg-holes for the larger Brawn, which is a shame, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
>
> I especially like the gun mounted in vehicle mode. I like to imagine that if one set of gun batteries is exhausted, the entire gun can just rotate around, deploy the other two blasters, and keep firing.

The "undeployed" gun blasters are pointing forward, shooting along the side of the gun. He's got 4 barrels in rooftop weapon mode.

And, it can be manned by mini-Brawn.