Three True Things and One Lie: Transformers Edition

Zobovor

Dec 3, 2016, 8:14:51 PM12/3/16
Everyone take turns making three truthful statements and one untruthful statement. Everyone else must guess which of the statements is untrue. Obviously, it should be Transformers-related in some capacity! I'll start:

1) I have a friend who appeared as an extra in Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon.

2) A couple of years ago, I spent $53 on eBay (including shipping) to get one single yellow clip to complete my G1 Omega Supreme.

3) I have never actually owned any authentic Diaclone or Microman toys.

4) The rarest item in my collection is an unreleased Robot Heroes Prowl (I actually have two of them).

Next!

Zob (we hold these untruths to be self-evident)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Dec 5, 2016, 3:39:36 AM12/5/16
On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 5:14:51 PM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:
> Everyone take turns making three truthful statements and one untruthful statement. Everyone else must guess which of the statements is untrue. Obviously, it should be Transformers-related in some capacity! I'll start:

> 2) A couple of years ago, I spent $53 on eBay (including shipping) to get one single yellow clip to complete my G1 Omega Supreme.

False. The Reissue has been out for more than a couple of years.

I see your three truths and a lie, and raise you an additional truth or lie.

1. I have over a dozen copies of BM Scavenger, and have found about a dozen different alt-modes for him, including ostrich and terrifying thing that wants a hug.

2. TF:Armada PowerLink Hot Shot is one of my favorite toys of all time.

3. My beautiful one eyed cat viciously attacks Devastator every time he is assembled, and ignores all my other Transformers.

4. My G2 Bumblebee was attacked and destroyed by al Qaeda

5. I store my toys in large plastic bins, organized by color.

Zobovor

Dec 7, 2016, 1:14:37 AM12/7/16
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 1:39:36 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

>> 2) A couple of years ago, I spent $53 on eBay (including shipping) to get
>> one single yellow clip to complete my G1 Omega Supreme.
>
> False. The Reissue has been out for more than a couple of years.

So, you judge this to be false based on the timing of the reissue, but you don't question that I would spend that kind of money for one piece of plastic? Interesting.

You're right, by the way.

> 4. My G2 Bumblebee was attacked and destroyed by al Qaeda
>
> 5. I store my toys in large plastic bins, organized by color.

Gonna say these two are false. Not the plastic bin part, but the organized by color part.

Zob (small cardboard boxes are more my thing)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Dec 7, 2016, 2:35:50 AM12/7/16
On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 7:14:51 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> Everyone take turns making three truthful statements and one untruthful statement. Everyone else must guess which of the statements is untrue. Obviously, it should be Transformers-related in some capacity! I'll start:
>
> Zob (we hold these untruths to be self-evident)

1. I had a table next to Scott Mcneil at Botcon 2002.

2. I only owned 7 Transformers before 1990, and own over 2000 now.

4. I replaced my G1 autobot casssettes with tampographed versions once I determined both sticker and tampo versions were authentic.

4. I've made more than 4000 edits to tfwiki

5. There is no #3.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Dec 7, 2016, 4:18:57 AM12/7/16
On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 10:14:37 PM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 1:39:36 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> >> 2) A couple of years ago, I spent $53 on eBay (including shipping) to get
> >> one single yellow clip to complete my G1 Omega Supreme.
> >
> > False. The Reissue has been out for more than a couple of years.
>
> So, you judge this to be false based on the timing of the reissue, but you don't question that I would spend that kind of money for one piece of plastic? Interesting.
>
> You're right, by the way.

So, it was just the timing?

> > 4. My G2 Bumblebee was attacked and destroyed by al Qaeda
> >
> > 5. I store my toys in large plastic bins, organized by color.
>
> Gonna say these two are false. Not the plastic bin part, but the organized by color part.

If it was a G2 Beachcomber, would that make it more or less believable? Because I totally meant to type Beachcomber.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Dec 7, 2016, 4:22:47 AM12/7/16
All of these seem entirely plausible.

David Connell

Dec 7, 2016, 8:42:44 AM12/7/16
I'll guess #4.

1) I have a LOP that I began repainting into classic colors and never finished.

2) I own multiple - too many - copies of the TF `07 Leader Megatron mold.

3) My cousin played Optimus Prime.

4) I prefer the FansProject City Commander set to CW Ultra Magnus.

Zobovor

Dec 7, 2016, 6:51:09 PM12/7/16
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 6:42:44 AM UTC-7, David Connell wrote:

> 1) I have a LOP that I began repainting into classic colors and never
> finished.

This certainly seems within the realm of possibility.

> 2) I own multiple - too many - copies of the TF `07 Leader Megatron mold.

This seems a little odd, but still theoretically possible.

> 3) My cousin played Optimus Prime.

"Played" Optimus Prime? Like, in a school play or something, or in an official capacity somehow? I find this to be rather suspect.

> 4) I prefer the FansProject City Commander set to CW Ultra Magnus.

To each his own.

Zob (day-old donuts are still delicious)

David Connell

Dec 8, 2016, 5:18:17 PM12/8/16
Nope. #2 is the lie. I own exactly zero Leader class movie Megatrons.

My cousin Michelle played the only female incarnation of Optimus Prime in the OTFCC 2004 script reading. Totally official! http://tfwiki.net/wiki/OTFCC_2004_Live-Action_Script_Reading So I'm Optimus Prime's favorite cousin.

Zobovor

Dec 8, 2016, 7:01:52 PM12/8/16
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 3:18:17 PM UTC-7, David Connell wrote:

> Nope. #2 is the lie. I own exactly zero Leader class movie Megatrons.

Ah, you got me. Nice job.

My turn again:

1) I never actually got a chance to watch The Transformers: the Movie until it came out on home video.

2) My first Transformers toy was a worn-out Ravage missing his guns and most of his paint.

3) I have five Titans Return Scourge toys.

4) I name cats after Transformers whenever possible (Crosswise, Onyx, Cheetor, and Scavenger, plus Flea-Byte was a reference to Sky-Byte).

Zob

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Dec 8, 2016, 9:30:48 PM12/8/16
I'm going to guess #2 here

My earlier post, I edited a different wiki 4000 times, and due to a typo, I had a table next to Scott Mcneil's autograph table at Botcon 2001, not 2002.

New stuff:

1. I collected a complete second-hand Metroplex piece by piece, ending up with multiple Metroplexes I have arranged in and around Omega Supreme's tracks.

2. Due to poor installation, my Masterpiece Megatron was orange capped, then uncapped.

3. I've hated 99% of every live-action movie but continue to see them in the theater and buy the DVDs.

4. I don't own any 3rd party toys, but I want to get some....if only they were affordable.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Dec 9, 2016, 1:02:53 AM12/9/16
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 1:18:57 AM UTC-8, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 10:14:37 PM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:

> > > 4. My G2 Bumblebee was attacked and destroyed by al Qaeda
> > >
> > > 5. I store my toys in large plastic bins, organized by color.
> >
> > Gonna say these two are false. Not the plastic bin part, but the organized by color part.

Correct on #5.

> If it was a G2 Beachcomber, would that make it more or less believable? Because I totally meant to type Beachcomber.

My G2 Beachcomber was in one of the smaller buildings of the World Trade Center on 9/11, on a friend's desk. A larger building fell on it. My friend was at the dentist, and was perfectly fine. Actually, everyone I knew in the WTC was fine, other than Beachcomber.

So, true, other than foolishly typing Bumblebee instead of Beachcomber.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Dec 9, 2016, 1:48:32 AM12/9/16
1. The first Transformers I owned as an adult were the G2 Autorollers, and I have never stopped loving them (also, I am a Dirtbag/Roadblock 'shipper...)

2. I have a wooden trunk as a coffee table in my living room, filled with Transformers. Unfortunately, I lost the key two moves ago, and have only a vague idea of what is in there. (I think it is all MISB Beast Wars era toys?)

3. I have owned a Nuclean Quest Powermaster Optimus Prime for at least a decade with the intention of making a Powermaster Nemesis Prime, but have done nothing with it.

4. I used to have Botcon MegaZarek (Armada Megatron redeco) on my desk at work, until he was used as a chew toy by one of the dogs in the office. I never told the dog or his owner how much the toy was worth.

Zobovor

Dec 10, 2016, 6:07:23 PM12/10/16
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 11:48:32 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> 1. The first Transformers I owned as an adult were the G2 Autorollers, and I
> have never stopped loving them (also, I am a Dirtbag/Roadblock 'shipper...)

I've never really distinguished between my "childhood" toys and "adult" toys, so I don't really know what my first adulthood Transformer would have been. Whatever I acquired after March 1994, I guess. Ooh, maybe the G2 Laser Rods, then. How fitting! I still adore those toys!

I think you and I may be close to the same age so I accept this statement as true.

> 2. I have a wooden trunk as a coffee table in my living room, filled with
> Transformers. Unfortunately, I lost the key two moves ago, and have only a
> vague idea of what is in there. (I think it is all MISB Beast Wars era toys?)

I'm going to call you out on this one. You would know if you had a MISB collection of Beast Wars toys or not!

> 3. I have owned a Nuclean Quest Powermaster Optimus Prime for at least a
> decade with the intention of making a Powermaster Nemesis Prime, but have
> done nothing with it.

Given your love for Nemesis Prime characters in general, this does seem very much like something you would do.

> 4. I used to have Botcon MegaZarek (Armada Megatron redeco) on my desk at
> work, until he was used as a chew toy by one of the dogs in the office. I
> never told the dog or his owner how much the toy was worth.

Hmm. I know you have a penchant for displaying toys at work, so this seems credible.

Zob (I already work with 2400 different kinds of toys every day, so I very rarely feel the need to bring any of mine to work)

Zobovor

Dec 10, 2016, 6:13:03 PM12/10/16
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 7:30:48 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> 1. I collected a complete second-hand Metroplex piece by piece, ending up
> with multiple Metroplexes I have arranged in and around Omega Supreme's
> tracks.

I call bantha poodoo on this one. I don't think Metroplex could even fit inside Omega Supreme's tracks. Not in city mode, anyway.

> 2. Due to poor installation, my Masterpiece Megatron was orange capped, then
> uncapped.

I could see this happening. Given my luck, I'm surprised it didn't happen to me. (I had to drill a hole into the center of my orange cap and then yank it out with the drill bit still embedded in it!)

> 3. I've hated 99% of every live-action movie but continue to see them in the
> theater and buy the DVDs.

Don't we all!

> 4. I don't own any 3rd party toys, but I want to get some....if only they
> were affordable.

I think the pricing on them will eventually come down some day. I see a lot of people unloading older ones on eBay, especially after Hasbro releases official Generations versions that didn't exist when the third-party versions were made.

So, uh, I'm guessing #1 is the untruthful one.

Zob (can't believe I had to look up the spelling of "poodoo")

Zobovor

Dec 10, 2016, 6:15:12 PM12/10/16
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 5:01:52 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:

> My turn again:
>
> 1) I never actually got a chance to watch The Transformers: the Movie until
> it came out on home video.

This was the lie. I saw it in the theater in August 1986. I will say, though, that getting my first copy of the VHS edition (maybe in 1991 or 1992?) was an absolute joy.

Zob (likes to lie to people, apparently)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Dec 10, 2016, 9:10:19 PM12/10/16
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 5:13:03 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 7:30:48 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
>
> > 1. I collected a complete second-hand Metroplex piece by piece, ending up
> > with multiple Metroplexes I have arranged in and around Omega Supreme's
> > tracks.
>
> I call bantha poodoo on this one. I don't think Metroplex could even fit inside Omega Supreme's tracks. Not in city mode, anyway.

Actually this one is true. I had to construct a waist out of leftover decking bolts I had left over when the original waist joint crumbled.

> > 2. Due to poor installation, my Masterpiece Megatron was orange capped, then
> > uncapped.
>
> I could see this happening. Given my luck, I'm surprised it didn't happen to me. (I had to drill a hole into the center of my orange cap and then yank it out with the drill bit still embedded in it!)
>
> > 3. I've hated 99% of every live-action movie but continue to see them in the
> > theater and buy the DVDs.
>
> Don't we all!
>
> > 4. I don't own any 3rd party toys, but I want to get some....if only they
> > were affordable.
>
> I think the pricing on them will eventually come down some day. I see a lot of people unloading older ones on eBay, especially after Hasbro releases official Generations versions that didn't exist when the third-party versions were made.
>
> So, uh, I'm guessing #1 is the untruthful one.
>

> Zob (can't believe I had to look up the spelling of "poodoo")

I own some 3rd party knockoff toys, I have a KO G1 Ravage that's dark brown for some reason, and my KO G1 Megatron has an intact firing mechanism. So the last one is the lie. If I had said 3rd party toys of higher quality than the original, then it would be true. All of my 3rd party stuff is equal to or less than the originals in terms of quality. Though I might own fansproject Assaulter soon, I can;t decide between him and TR Broadside, but Broadside is half the price.

Gustavo Wombat

Dec 11, 2016, 3:34:23 PM12/11/16
Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 11:48:32 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of
> the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> 1. The first Transformers I owned as an adult were the G2 Autorollers, and I
>> have never stopped loving them (also, I am a Dirtbag/Roadblock 'shipper...)
>
> I've never really distinguished between my "childhood" toys and "adult"
> toys, so I don't really know what my first adulthood Transformer would
> have been. Whatever I acquired after March 1994, I guess. Ooh, maybe
> the G2 Laser Rods, then. How fitting! I still adore those toys!
>
> I think you and I may be close to the same age so I accept this statement as true.

I think I'm a few years older, so I didn't have a lot as a kid before I got
out of toy age. The toys I got as an adult were bought years later off of
eBay.

It occurs to me that my memory was completely faulty here, because
something must have prompted me to get back into Transformers -- and that
was watching Beast Wars in the morning before heading off to work. I think
I briefly forgot Beast Wars when I wrote this. First adult toy had to be a
Beast Wars toy -- I have no idea which one. Looking at Tfwiki to refresh my
memory of what came when... still no idea. I know I bought a lot of the
show characters from some website's clearance sale after I was already
hooked, so I think it was a second year toy.

So, because I forgot entirely about Beast Wars, this is accidentally false.
The Autorollers were the first G1/G2 toys I bought as an adult. I was
scanning the listings, looking for something cheap that looked interesting,
after discovering that G2 existed and that many had better articulation
than G1.

Part of the fun of three truths and a lie is discovering just how utterly
unreliable your memory is.

>> 2. I have a wooden trunk as a coffee table in my living room, filled with
>> Transformers. Unfortunately, I lost the key two moves ago, and have only a
>> vague idea of what is in there. (I think it is all MISB Beast Wars era toys?)
>
> I'm going to call you out on this one. You would know if you had a MISB
> collection of Beast Wars toys or not!

I just forgot that Beast Wars existed, are you sure?

I know I bought up a bunch of toys during the Transmetal/Fuzor era,
including Japanese versions, etc. I also know that I donated a bunch of
them when moving, but that was probably mostly fuzors. (Someone went to
Goodwill, and was able to buy old BW toys, MISB. Hopefully they enjoyed
them). At other times, there were G1 reissues in there -- I have clear
memory of digging through to get out Hot Rod. Who is in there now? I have
no idea. I suspect my Japanese TM Megatron is there, all in one piece with
no broken waist or shoulder.

True.

I really need to find the key, or pick the lock. Does Megatron suffer from
GPS? That would be a sad conclusion to the adventure...

>> 3. I have owned a Nuclean Quest Powermaster Optimus Prime for at least a
>> decade with the intention of making a Powermaster Nemesis Prime, but have
>> done nothing with it.
>
> Given your love for Nemesis Prime characters in general, this does seem
> very much like something you would do.

True.

He might be in that wooden chest.

>> 4. I used to have Botcon MegaZarek (Armada Megatron redeco) on my desk at
>> work, until he was used as a chew toy by one of the dogs in the office. I
>> never told the dog or his owner how much the toy was worth.
>
> Hmm. I know you have a penchant for displaying toys at work, so this seems credible.

Never got chewed. False. Deliberately false, in fact.

And, he's not on my desk now, so I won't walk in on Monday and discover the
office dog ate him after I left. So not even unintentionally true.

--
I wish I was a mole in the ground.

Zobovor

Dec 12, 2016, 9:57:32 PM12/12/16
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 7:10:19 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> I own some 3rd party knockoff toys, I have a KO G1 Ravage that's dark brown for
> some reason

I actually remember seeing that in stores. Along with the brown Grimlock with the horn on his head and the brown Sludge with wings.

Zob (not lying this time)