The Naughty, Naughty Walkman Music from "Kremzeek"

Zobovor

Jan 13, 2017, 8:14:22 PM1/13/17
So, in pursuit of creating as complete an archive of Transformers music as possible, I've been documenting literally every use of music in the show, even if it's a tiny snippet that we only hear once and cannot possibly be considered a complete theme.

One of these was the music we hear briefly when Kremzeek is being a little electric gremlin and jumps into some poor Japanese guy's portable tape player. I hadn't even realized there was an audible melody coming from his Walkman; the guy is yelling about what's happening, and of course Kremzeek is vocalizing, and there's some electrical surging. It's a very noisy scene (skip to the 10:40 mark if you want to watch the scene from the episode):

http://tinyurl.com/kremzeek

It wasn't until I dissected the episode and separated the channels that I could actually hear the music being played by the Walkman:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cti2m8c5byijqor/walkman_music.zip

So, some of you might recognize the tune right away, but I wasn't familiar with it off the top of my head. Jim said it seemed vaguely familiar so he asked around, and it turns out that this is actually a sample from an Iron Maiden song from 1984 called "Flash of the Blade," as heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYKhK1aaVEQ&t=2m46s

I'm guessing this was a joke by the sound editors, who probably knew that the song wasn't really audible in the final cut of the episode, and so they weren't too worried about copyright infringement. I can recognize it now if I watch the episode, but that's because my ears know what to listen for. I think the fact that this has never been discovered by anyone before is quite telling. The music was very well-hidden underneath all those sound effects and dialogue!

So, uh, we probably won't be putting this music in the cartoon soundtrack (season two is close to being done, incidentally). But, I still wanted to share this surprising discovery.

Zob (you're David and you always killed the beast)

Shin Hibiki

Jan 20, 2017, 10:49:02 PM1/20/17
Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>So, uh, we probably won't be putting this music in the cartoon soundtrack (season two is close to being done, incidentally). But, I still wanted to share this surprising discovery.

Make sure you tell us the hypothetical track number (maybe
something-something-point-five) so we can insert it ourselves later.
>:)

- Shin Hibiki, pretty cool song

----
The race ain't over yet, baby
It's only just begun
They thought they had it won, baby
But soon we'll have 'em on the run

Rodimus_2316

Jan 21, 2017, 6:20:44 PM1/21/17
As I kid, I don't recall being able to recognize there was even a real song playing there (or wasn't listening too hard), nor was I much into anything else except Transformers.

Thanks for revealing this, Zobovor. Always good to have past TF trivia solved. :)

- Rodimus_2316