TRU Downfall opening the way for a resurgence of KB toys???

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Mar 19, 2018, 5:44:52 PM3/19/18
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/kb-toys-coming-back-wow-what-response-from-toy-industry-ellia-kassoff/

Apparently they bought the rights tot he KB toys name a year ago, and now have a desire to restore KB toys to a functional retail chain.

Back in the day the KB near me was never as cool as the TRU, but I had to ride my bike 11 miles further to reach TRU.

I got most of my G2 toys from KB toys, and Machine Wars. I wish I had bought the G2 ATB Megatron back when they had them at KB. I chose the Dreadwing box because I already had a G2 tank Megatron. Now nobody believes they ever existed.

What's next? Children's Palace?

Rodimus_2316

Mar 19, 2018, 5:57:47 PM3/19/18
I used to have a KB Toys years ago at my local mall, which was where I got all my 12 Machine Wars figures, as well as other TF stuff (Original RiD is all I can recall of otherwise, back in the early 2000's). It went down years ago, and am curious if my mall will get it back now.

Also: G2 ATB Megatron. I thought that toy was never released, like the G2 Protectobots and G2 Stunticons, all in 1995? Guess he was, as I found him in box in an image google search. So it was just the Protectobots and Stunticons that weren't released in G2 1995? Trying to stay on top of this.

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor

Mar 19, 2018, 6:34:11 PM3/19/18
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:57:47 PM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> I used to have a KB Toys years ago at my local mall, which was where I got
> all my 12 Machine Wars figures

Pretty sure Kay-Bee was the only place you could get Machine Wars. I got the impression Hasbro threw it together in a hurry for all the fans who took a look at Beast Wars and went, "Hey, wait, where are the vehicles? What happened to the Autobots and Decepticons?"

> Also: G2 ATB Megatron. I thought that toy was never released, like the G2
> Protectobots and G2 Stunticons, all in 1995?

The general consensus seems to be that it was test marketed but never got a full retail release. So, it did make it to some stores but it's exceedingly rare.

Zob ("Prepare for oblivion!")

Zobovor

Mar 19, 2018, 6:41:12 PM3/19/18
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:44:52 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> Apparently they bought the rights tot he KB toys name a year ago, and now
> have a desire to restore KB toys to a functional retail chain.

That's just crazy sauce. The only thing weirder than Toys "R" Us going away is Kay-Bee Toys coming back.

> I got most of my G2 toys from KB toys, and Machine Wars.

Well, I imagine that's where everybody got Machine Wars. I got a bunch of G2 toys on clearance in 1994 for pennies on the dollar. All the Mini Autobots, both a yellow and orange set of Constructicons, and a bunch of others. I probably never would have been able to complete my G2 collection otherwise.

> I wish I had bought the G2 ATB Megatron back when they had them at KB. I
> chose the Dreadwing box because I already had a G2 tank Megatron. Now nobody
> believes they ever existed.

No, I believe you. I've spoken to enough people who saw the toy with their own eyes. And it's not even a blue Bluestreak thing.

Me, I wish I'd picked up the TMNT Channel 6 News Van the one time I saw it. At the time, I thought it was a cheap cash grab because it was just the Party Wagon in different colors. Now the thing sells for like $300.

Zob (snagged the April in green jumpsuit in an eBay lot, so I guess that's something)

Rodimus_2316

Mar 19, 2018, 6:51:37 PM3/19/18
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:34:11 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:57:47 PM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
>
> > I used to have a KB Toys years ago at my local mall, which was where I got
> > all my 12 Machine Wars figures
>
> Pretty sure Kay-Bee was the only place you could get Machine Wars. I got the impression Hasbro threw it together in a hurry for all the fans who took a look at Beast Wars and went, "Hey, wait, where are the vehicles? What happened to the Autobots and Decepticons?"

Yeah, I recall it being KB Toys Exclusive at the time it was released, and that it bombed. If only a show had been made for it, or a virtual show...

> > Also: G2 ATB Megatron. I thought that toy was never released, like the G2
> > Protectobots and G2 Stunticons, all in 1995?
>
> The general consensus seems to be that it was test marketed but never got a full retail release. So, it did make it to some stores but it's exceedingly rare.

Ahhhhh....ok, thank you.

> Zob ("Prepare for oblivion!")

- Rodimus_2316

William A. Rendfeld

Mar 20, 2018, 11:42:40 AM3/20/18
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 6:34:11 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:57:47 PM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:
>
> > I used to have a KB Toys years ago at my local mall, which was where I got
> > all my 12 Machine Wars figures
>
> Pretty sure Kay-Bee was the only place you could get Machine Wars. I got the impression Hasbro threw it together in a hurry for all the fans who took a look at Beast Wars and went, "Hey, wait, where are the vehicles? What happened to the Autobots and Decepticons?"

I can strongly recall seeing MW Starscream at a Meijer some years after they started showing up at Kay-Bee, but that might be a special case.

Anyway, I'm all for Kay-Bee coming back, if only to fill the void left by TRU's passing. I just hope that this hypothetical new KB doesn't fall victim to what killed the old one.

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Mar 22, 2018, 4:44:21 PM3/22/18

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Mar 22, 2018, 5:59:41 PM3/22/18
I guess he took the news pretty hard

https://kotaku.com/toys-r-us-founder-has-died-1824003155