Recently online-purchased and read all 6 Big Looker TF kid books from the 80's (OLD SPOILERS)

Rodimus_2316

Jul 17, 2017, 7:04:32 PM7/17/17
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Big_Looker_Storybook

Aside from kinda being kiddie and simplistic (left page has story, right page has accompanying story image), I still enjoyed reading these. As a kid, I had and read (and lost) "Insecticon Attack!" and "Car Show Blow Up", so for those it was a refresher. My favorite of the bunch is probably "The Story of Wheelie, the Wild Boy of Quintesson", mainly as it's similar to TFTM in story. I could make other comments, like Optimus Prime not having a faceplate in "The Great Car Rally", but those are all listed in each book's description on the site.

Anyone have any of these and have thoughts?

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor

Jul 17, 2017, 7:30:49 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 5:04:32 PM UTC-6, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> Anyone have any of these and have thoughts?

I got a few of them on eBay a while back. I really like Earl Norem's artwork. He's one of my favorite Transformers artists of all time, and he gets so little recognition. Basically, the fans go crazy over an artist if he draws a comic book, but everybody else gets ignored.

I checked your wiki link and if those are the only ones that were published, then I have all of them. I've also got a hardcover book called "Battle for Earth" with some seriously colorful artwork.

Zob (you could use this book to find your way through the house at night)

Travoltron

Jul 25, 2017, 1:01:10 AM7/25/17
On 7/17/2017 4:30 PM, Zobovor wrote:
> I really like Earl Norem's artwork.

I like him, but I hate that other guy, John Speirs.

Zobovor

Jul 25, 2017, 1:53:23 AM7/25/17
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 11:01:10 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> I like him, but I hate that other guy, John Speirs.

The Spiers artwork just makes no sense to me. It's so ridiculously off-model that it might as well be abstract art. Half the robots on the page, you can't even identify without some sort of context clues from the story proper.

Maybe his illustrations were supposed to be that way. Maybe it was some attempt at being really artsy. Who's to say. I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

Zob (and what I don't like)

Rodimus_2316

Jul 25, 2017, 2:34:00 PM7/25/17
I found your referenced "Battle For Earth" book on tfwiki:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Marvel_Books

Includes the 6 books I was talking about. Must be the only ones.

I agree about the Big Looker books' art.

- Rodimus_2316