Galvatronus Looks Terrible

Zobovor

Apr 12, 2015, 9:30:44 PM4/12/15
Here we go:

http://tinyurl.com/galvatronus

Awful. Terrible, terrible design. (Also, the packaging for Cyclonus reveals that, through "mind control," he just combines with whatever Combiner Wars robots he feels like. So, it's actually looking less and less like he might get dedicated limbs. Which is unfortunate.)

I really don't like the idea of "extra" combiner robots.

Zob

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Apr 13, 2015, 2:59:02 AM4/13/15
The face doesn't look like Galvatron.

I do kind of like the idea of a Decepticon leader being the combined mode of a combiner, but this isn't it. I'm not sure it even works in a G1 setting, where things are driven by nostalgia as much as anything.

But, considering that the second half of BM, TF 2007, ROTF, DOTM, AoE, TF:Animated and TF:Prime all started with Megatron in a crippled state, it would be an interesting variation. Imagine Megatron's spark split and stored in several of his minions, with Megatron's voice in their heads, compelling them to combine.

I don't love the recent trend of Megatron desperate to survive, but it would give us a different take on it. And give Starscream something to rebel against. And make Starscream utterly indispensable.

Wow, every single one of the live action movies start with Megatron disabled, dead or mangled.

Shin Hibiki

Apr 13, 2015, 10:28:21 AM4/13/15
Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>I really don't like the idea of "extra" combiner robots.

I think you can pretty much thank Hasbro's insistence on
repainting/retooling every single figure for that. I bought CW
Optimus but returned it, making it the very first Generations/Classics
figure that I will not own. I have no intention of buying Cyclonus
and will probably skip Leader Thundercracker as well.

- Shin Hibiki

----
The race ain't over yet, baby
It's only just begun
They thought they had it won, baby
But soon we'll have 'em on the run

MWG

Apr 13, 2015, 3:09:16 PM4/13/15
Really, CW Cyclonus looks fine but he isn't any better than Universe/RtS Cyclonus (who is almost perfect, save for that filled-in left fist hole). I would've been fine with Silverbolt just getting a minor remold and colored like Skyquake or Machine Wars Starscream, and Hasbro could've saved a lot on the retooling budget.

"Galvatronus" does irritate me though. Ever since they presented us with that piece of crap in the Universe line, a lot of collectors have been asking for a GOOD Classics-style Galvatron. A combiner torso mode that looks kinda sorta Galvatron-y doesn't really fill that niche.

Galvatron deserves a good, stand alone Voyager or Leader class toy. And we need a Rodimus PRIME to go with him. Hopefully not IDW Rodimus but one that takes more cues from the cartoon and the recent Ultra Magnus/various "RiD 2015" Optimuses where the "trailer" remains built-in. But for some reason Hasbro is uninterested in giving these two good updates despite them being well-known characters.

David Aguero

Apr 13, 2015, 5:40:06 PM4/13/15
I don't like the waist on him. I wish they would have comeup with a better design

Zobovor

Apr 13, 2015, 10:34:25 PM4/13/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 1:09:16 PM UTC-6, MWG wrote:

> Really, CW Cyclonus looks fine but he isn't any better than Universe/RtS
> Cyclonus (who is almost perfect, save for that filled-in left fist hole). I
> would've been fine with Silverbolt just getting a minor remold and colored
> like Skyquake or Machine Wars Starscream, and Hasbro could've saved a lot on
> the retooling budget.

They really did try very hard to make him look as Cyclonusey as possible. The vehicle mode is far, far better than the robot mode.

There just wasn't much else they could do to Silverbolt that would make a lot of sense.

> Galvatron deserves a good, stand alone Voyager or Leader class toy. And we
> need a Rodimus PRIME to go with him. <snip> But for some reason Hasbro is
> uninterested in giving these two good updates despite them being well-known
> characters.

Maybe some day. Hasbro's kind of beginning to run out of G1 characters who desperately need updates. I think that's why they dragged their feet on Arcee for so long. It's possible they've got a year-to-year plan, and they're staggering the must-have toys across multiple release years. Who knows how long they've had Devastator up their sleeve for 2015? Maybe 2016 will be Rodimus Prime and Galvatron; 2017 will be Dinobots; 2018 will be Titan-class Trypticon...

We're at a point now where we're getting a second or third modern-era version of characters like Warpath, Powerglide, Bumblebee, etc. There was no way they could have topped the Deluxe Warpath, honestly, but they seem to have a certain obligation to do redeco versions of toys that fans are going to recognize and want to buy. (Me, I want to see more tributes to Action Masters.)

Zob