We Have a Name Finally!

banzait...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2017, 8:48:53 PM4/10/17

Zobovor

Apr 16, 2017, 10:17:33 PM4/16/17
On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 6:48:53 PM UTC-6, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> "Kidults"

I really, strongly dislike labels. It's so easy for people to compartmentalize you and dismiss you as uninteresting or irrelevant if they can assign a catch-all term to you and lump you in with all the other people who they've deemed uninteresting and irrelevant.

To me, the term "kidult" sort of implies people who are irresponsible, never matured, play with toys and video games all day, live in their parents' basements, etc.

I break a sweat every day for eight hours when I'm at work. I work harder than anybody else I know. Today, I spent all morning teaching my four-year-old daughter how to ride her new bike, and then I helped my wife cook a ham and funeral potatoes. Tonight at ten o'clock I'll go into work for post-Easter "conversion" while 99.9% of the population is asleep.

I also own something like 3700 toys. So, does that make me a "kidult"? Or does it make me a mature, responsible adult who also buys toys?

However, it does please me on some level to see that adults buying toys has somehow become a bit more socially acceptable. It's something I've become gradually aware of, but it's nice to see it in print, figuratively speaking. It used to be that you got funny looks from cashiers all the time who would ask intrusive questions like, "Oh, are these for YOU? Do you open them up and fight little wars with them while making 'pew-pew' noises?" You'd think that as I got older, it would become more of a problem, but instead the opposite seems true. Nobody really questions it. Weird is the new normal.

When I was in my early 20's and struggling to make ends meet, collecting was hard. I couldn't really afford it but I did it anyway, making sacrifices like choosing to eat a fifty-cent candy bar for lunch so I still had enough cash in my pocket for a Beast Wars toy. Nowadays I'm in a much better place financially, and I'm able to buy things like $100 Combiner Wars or Titans Return gift sets, or expensive Masterpiece toys from Japan, that would have been out of the question before. It's arguable that I don't need any of this stuff, but "If Not Now, Then When?" has become my mantra. I deserve to have things that I enjoy. And, really, it's arguable that a lot of the stuff I collect these days really is meant for people like me. My age, my demographic.

Zob (sometimes, retail therapy is the best kind of therapy)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Apr 18, 2017, 6:42:42 PM4/18/17
This puts it into words better than I ever could.

Sometime last year someone brought up this Kidults label, and it's so dumb.

Labels kinda piss me off.
People have labels like trans, or queer, how about people doing what they want to do and stop nosing in and labeling others?

I just got done helping a friend wade through online insults and threats of bodily harm over labels applied, and received death threats myself after they erroneously labeled me and looked up my parents address all because I was helping a friend. (erroneous as the labels don't apply to me, but the threats were to me.)