G1 Trypticon Reissue Coming from Hasbro

Zobovor

May 26, 2015, 7:24:50 PM5/26/15
Apparently it's a thing. Good news is that it's a motorized toy with the electronics intact, not the gutted Gigastorm version. Stickers look to be pre-applied. Expect to pay $150-$200.

Is this the first G1 toy that Hasbro's reissued without Takara doing it first?

Zob

banzait...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 7:47:26 PM5/26/15
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

May 26, 2015, 8:15:42 PM5/26/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 5:47:26 PM UTC-6, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/trypty

Zob

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

May 26, 2015, 11:51:30 PM5/26/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 4:24:50 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> Apparently it's a thing. Good news is that it's a motorized toy with the electronics intact, not the gutted Gigastorm version. Stickers look to be pre-applied. Expect to pay $150-$200.
>
> Is this the first G1 toy that Hasbro's reissued without Takara doing it first?

Why do I think this is a trick question with you waiting for someone to say "yes" so you can pounce on them with the real answer?

I somehow feel like we got one of the Seekers or a PBS or something like that first. I mean, all of the real work was already done when Takara reissued the first of the mold... but that particular color came here first. No idea which one.

Travoltron

May 27, 2015, 12:03:40 AM5/27/15
On 5/26/2015 4:24 PM, Zobovor wrote:
> Is this the first G1 toy that Hasbro's reissued without Takara doing it first?

No, Hasbro did Piranacon before this. There is still no Takara rerelease
of King Poseidon.

Zobovor

May 27, 2015, 3:54:25 PM5/27/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:03:40 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> No, Hasbro did Piranacon before this. There is still no Takara rerelease
> of King Poseidon.

Eeeeenteresting. Seems like Hasbro is more willing nowadays to dig into the old molds and do the testing and repairs themselves, rather than waiting for Takara to foot the expense.

(Either that, or Takara's still paying for it but they're letting Hasbro have first crack at the reissue. That's possible too.)

Zob

Zobovor

May 27, 2015, 3:56:58 PM5/27/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:51:30 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Why do I think this is a trick question with you waiting for someone to
> say "yes" so you can pounce on them with the real answer?

No, I genuinely couldn't recall. Used to be that Hasbro only gave us a reissue after Takara went to all the trouble of digging out the molds and testing them and making repairs as needed. That's why the Trypticon announcement surprised me so much.

After the G1 reissues being dead in the water for so many years, it kind of makes you wonder what else they're planning...

Zob

Travoltron

May 27, 2015, 7:34:07 PM5/27/15
Well, both the Trypticon and Piranacon molds were used by Takara in the
Beast Wars II line in 1998, so presumably Hasbro doesn't have to do that
much.

Zobovor

May 27, 2015, 9:08:13 PM5/27/15
Yeah, but that was ages ago in Toy Years. Also, Gigastorm was remolded to some degree and was missing all his internal motorized parts. So, if nothing else, they had to reverse engineer the molds back to the Trypticon configuration and see if it was still possible to successfully install a motor.

Seriously, this is a big deal. It means somebody at Hasbro is no longer content to just sit around and wait for Takara to reissue G1 toys before they can finally take action. It opens the door for things I once thought would never happen. Consider that Trypticon really has no redeco potential, unless Takara really wants to reissue Gigastorm (or they make some absolutely ghastly all-gold Year of the Chicken abomination).

I kind of tend to think that Hasbro's reissuing the toy in response to all the people who got the Titan-class Metroplex and started clamoring for a Trypticon toy to go along with it. If they do a second Titan-class toy (which doesn't seem too likely at this stage), Trypticon is the logical choice. However, it's possible all Hasbro is hearing is "Trypticon" and decided a G1 reissue would be cost-effective. (Just like they heard "Blitzwing in Flywheels colors" and gave us the G1 "reissue" instead of the Generations toy that folks were actually asking for.)

Zob

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

May 28, 2015, 2:23:19 AM5/28/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 6:08:13 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 5:34:07 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:
>
> > Well, both the Trypticon and Piranacon molds were used by Takara in the
> > Beast Wars II line in 1998, so presumably Hasbro doesn't have to do that
> > much.
>
> Yeah, but that was ages ago in Toy Years.

I do wonder how long ago that really is in Toy Years -- how much do they have to do to get the molds up to snuff? Safety testing, almost certainly, and possibly replacing all hard plastic with something soft and gently huggable.

> Consider that Trypticon really has no redeco potential, unless Takara really wants to reissue Gigastorm (or they make some absolutely ghastly all-gold Year of the Chicken abomination).

Well, there is Ultra City Grimlock, and maybe PrimeRID Grimlock City and um... yeah nothing.

All gold might be a halfway decent Goldran homage, actually. Complete with the vehicle on his chest. I don't know that lots of people would be interested in a Goldran homage, but it would probably work.