Diving Deep Into the Sunbow Unmentionables

Zobovor

Oct 18, 2016, 1:30:32 AM10/18/16
Because I am either very dedicated or quite insane (I'm really not sure which at this point), I've been digging into the annals of the Sunbow cartoon library in the hunt for music shared with Transformers. I have seen scattered references online to the original My Little Pony cartoon series from 1984-87 using some of the same music, so that's my first lead.

Now, it was one thing to buy the entire Jem cartoon on DVD and slog through every episode. My little sister watched it when we were growing up and I had vague memories of it, and it's really not a half bad show when you get right down to it.

My Little Pony is a horse of a different color.

I've never watched the show, and it's the sort of thing nowadays that you really have to hunt for. Armed with some episode titles, I've been coming YouTube and other sites and so far I've watched the three-part pilot (which mercifully consists of only ten-minute installments). There are some familiar voices, like Charlie Adler doing his Buster Bunny voice a full six years before Tiny Toon Adventures, and perhaps most shockingly, Victor Caroli performing an actual character. He can really emote when he's not being a narrator!

The problem is that the My Little Pony television series was also a springboard for other cartoons based on Hasbro properties. Half the show was ponies and then the other half was Potato Head Kids (which sounds exactly as dreadful as it is) or Moondreamers (a line of Hasbro dolls probably intended to compete with Strawberry Shortcake) or The Glo Friends. Every one of these was a Sunbow production and every one of them had music provided by Robert J. Walsh, so it's theoretically possible that some of his Transformers music is hiding in there somewhere.

I will report back here if I manage to survive.

Zob (Moondreamers is so obscure that apparently nobody is quite certain how to correctly parse it)