Hasbro's 2nd quarter earnings......Transformers are selling like hotcakes!

retardomontalban

Aug 9, 2009, 10:56:29 PM8/9/09
U.S. and Canada segment net revenues were $490.9 million, compared to
$467.7 million in 2008. The results reflect growth in TRANSFORMERS,
G.I. JOE, LITTLEST PET SHOP, NERF, PLAY-DOH, FURREAL FRIENDS and
TONKA. The U.S. and Canada segment reported an operating profit of
$56.3 million, compared to $43.7 million in 2008.
International segment net revenues were $276.2 million, compared to
$293.7 million in 2008. The revenues include a negative foreign
exchange impact of approximately $42.8 million. The results reflect
growth in TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, LITTLEST PET SHOP, NERF, PLAY-DOH
and STAR WARS. The International segment reported an operating profit
of $16.5 million compared to operating profit of $14.0 million in
2008.

Note that Star Wars saw growth mentioned in the International, but not
domestic, market. I dont think I'll ever be able to sell off that
2500+ MISB/MOSC Star Wars collection I've been hauling around for all
these years.

SteveD

Aug 9, 2009, 11:14:02 PM8/9/09
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:56:29 -0700 (PDT), retardomontalban
<retardom...@aol.com> wrote:

>Note that Star Wars saw growth mentioned in the International, but not
>domestic, market. I dont think I'll ever be able to sell off that
>2500+ MISB/MOSC Star Wars collection I've been hauling around for all
>these years.

You could sell them to international buyers...?

retardomontalban

Aug 9, 2009, 11:53:05 PM8/9/09
On Aug 9, 8:14 pm, SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:56:29 -0700 (PDT), retardomontalban
>
> <retardomontal...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Note that Star Wars saw growth mentioned in the International, but not
> >domestic, market. I dont think I'll ever be able to sell off that
> >2500+ MISB/MOSC Star Wars collection I've been hauling around for all
> >these years.
>
> You could sell them to international buyers...?

Yeah- but Ebaying internationally is challenging for those who do not
have the time to go to the Post Office and fill out all the necessary
international crap.

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 10, 2009, 12:44:03 AM8/10/09

You might have to sell them at a loss... there's no shortage of Obi-
Wan figures out there, and they keep making more. There is, however, a
shortage of people looking for the 2002 release of Obi-Wan with real
facial hair.

Gustavo!

Chad Rushing

Aug 10, 2009, 1:15:40 AM8/10/09
On Aug 9, 11:44 pm, Gustavo Wombat <GustavoWom...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You might have to sell them at a loss... there's no shortage of Obi-
> Wan figures out there, and they keep making more. There is, however, a
> shortage of people looking for the 2002 release of Obi-Wan with real
> facial hair.

I had 20-25 SW:EPISODE 1 figures still MOSC that I finally sold as a
huge lot rather than try to sell them individually because the cards
were so bent up as to not be worth much to mint-in-package-
collectors. They had been purchased on clearance way back when.
Sure, I took a monetary loss on them, but that was offset by the time
and packaging saved.

- Chad

Zobovor

Aug 10, 2009, 12:36:32 PM8/10/09
On Aug 9, 8:56 pm, retardomontalban <retardomontal...@aol.com> wrote:

> U.S. and Canada segment net revenues were $490.9 million, compared to
> $467.7 million in 2008.

Hasbro did really well in 2007, too. Their Transformers sales,
specificlally, were something like tripled compared to 2006. It's all
because of the movies. They're creating a brand awareness that just
didn't exist beforehand, at least not since the heyday of G1. Kind of
makes you wonder what they're going to try to do in order to sustain
their sales after the final Transformers movie in 2011-ish.

>Note that Star Wars saw growth mentioned in the International, but not
>domestic, market.

Clone Wars was the big push for this year, and in my opinion that was
a mistake. Nobody's interested in it. Even though it features
characters from the movies, it's still part of the Expanded Universe,
and Expanded Universe toys should never, ever be the focus of the Star
Wars toy line.

>I dont think I'll ever be able to sell off that 2500+ MISB/MOSC
>Star Wars collection I've been hauling around for all
> these years.

You should be able to sell it off pretty easily. Whether or not you
actually turn a profit is another matter entirely. :)

Zob

jarodimus

Aug 10, 2009, 12:58:51 PM8/10/09
On Aug 10, 12:36 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hasbro did really well in 2007, too.  Their Transformers sales,
> specificlally, were something like tripled compared to 2006.  It's all
> because of the movies.  They're creating a brand awareness that just
> didn't exist beforehand, at least not since the heyday of G1.  Kind of
> makes you wonder what they're going to try to do in order to sustain
> their sales after the final Transformers movie in 2011-ish.

If the movies and toys continue to have the kind of success we've been
seeing, I really doubt Dreamworks, and Paramount, and Hasbro are going
to stop at a third movie.

> Clone Wars was the big push for this year, and in my opinion that was
> a mistake.  Nobody's interested in it.  Even though it features
> characters from the movies, it's still part of the Expanded Universe,
> and Expanded Universe toys should never, ever be the focus of the Star
> Wars toy line.

I've gotta disagree here. I, for one, love the Clone Wars show and
toys. I have several friends who do, too, and know of many children
who like it. It's FUN, something the Star Wars universe doesn't
always manage.

Hasbro has stated that Clone Wars stuff is faring better than the
Legacy Collection. Not surprising, really -- who would a kid rather
have toys of: various Clone Troopers, Jedi, and droids that are shown
battling on TV every week, or Cantina aliens #46 and 47 who were
juuuuuust visible on the edge of the screen for 3 seconds in a 32-year-
old movie?

-Jarodimus

Grebo

Aug 10, 2009, 1:36:39 PM8/10/09
Hotcakes? ...HOTCAKES!!!

- Grebo

"I love sticking hotcakes up mine asshole. They make great anal
dildoes."

SBlackfoot

Aug 10, 2009, 9:51:03 PM8/10/09

> Hotcakes? ...HOTCAKES!!!
>
> - Grebo
>
> "I love sticking hotcakes up mine asshole. They make great anal
> dildoes."

*sigh* Oh crap.

retardomontalban

Aug 10, 2009, 11:20:38 PM8/10/09
On Aug 10, 10:36 am, Grebo <grebog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hotcakes? ...HOTCAKES!!!
>
>  - Grebo
>
> "I love sticking hotcakes up mine asshole. They make great anal
> dildoes."

Ding Ding Ding! Give that man a $5 cigar. I only used the "selling
like hotcakes" bit because I had just re-read your "mine asshole" bit
from the earlier thread where it had originated. Good job, sir!

Grebo

Aug 11, 2009, 1:50:43 PM8/11/09

Happy to oblige!

Zobovor

Aug 11, 2009, 11:04:46 PM8/11/09
On Aug 10, 10:58 am, jarodimus <jarodi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If the movies and toys continue to have the kind of success we've been
> seeing, I really doubt Dreamworks, and Paramount, and Hasbro are going
> to stop at a third movie.

Hmm, that's a possibility. At the same time, though, I'm sure they
already have a plan in place (or at least the tentative beginnings of
one) regarding what they're going to do after the third movie. It
seems unlikely to me that they would scrap that and keep making more
movies Besides, there have been other lucrative film trilogies that
could have arguably been milked just a bit more (Shrek, Spider-Man,
Pirates of the Carribbean) so why would Transformers, specifically, be
the exception to this? It also occurs to me that after three movies,
Transformers as a brand is going to be long overdue for an overhaul in
order to keep it fresh and exciting.

> I've gotta disagree here.  I, for one, love the Clone Wars show and
> toys.  I have several friends who do, too, and know of many children
> who like it.  It's FUN, something the Star Wars universe doesn't
> always manage.

Well, the LEGO Star Wars video games are a lot of fun, too, but that
doesn't mean I want action figures designed in that style dominating
the toy aisles. (Maybe I need to watch the show more. I sat through
the movie and was pretty disappointed by it—not just the oddball
visual style, though that was a major issue for me. More than
anything else, the storyline was boring and predictable.)

> Hasbro has stated that Clone Wars stuff is faring better than the
> Legacy Collection.

This surprises me. Everywhere I shop, I see Clone Wars toys piling
up. As far as I can tell, they are most definitely not selling like
hotcakes.

Zob

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 12, 2009, 1:41:09 AM8/12/09
On Aug 11, 8:04 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 10:58 am, jarodimus <jarodi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If the movies and toys continue to have the kind of success we've been
> > seeing, I really doubt Dreamworks, and Paramount, and Hasbro are going
> > to stop at a third movie.
>
> Hmm, that's a possibility.  At the same time, though, I'm sure they
> already have a plan in place (or at least the tentative beginnings of
> one) regarding what they're going to do after the third movie.

They should also be actively working on something for between the
second and third movies.

> seems unlikely to me that they would scrap that and keep making more
> movies Besides, there have been other lucrative film trilogies that
> could have arguably been milked just a bit more (Shrek, Spider-Man,
> Pirates of the Carribbean) so why would Transformers, specifically, be
> the exception to this?  It also occurs to me that after three movies,
> Transformers as a brand is going to be long overdue for an overhaul in
> order to keep it fresh and exciting.

Well, with very different lines between the movies, each time a movie
comes around, that style is fresh and exciting to the target audience
of kinds 10-13.

> > I've gotta disagree here.  I, for one, love the Clone Wars show and
> > toys.  I have several friends who do, too, and know of many children
> > who like it.  It's FUN, something the Star Wars universe doesn't
> > always manage.
>
> Well, the LEGO Star Wars video games are a lot of fun, too, but that
> doesn't mean I want action figures designed in that style dominating
> the toy aisles.  (Maybe I need to watch the show more.  I sat through
> the movie and was pretty disappointed by it—not just the oddball
> visual style, though that was a major issue for me.  More than
> anything else, the storyline was boring and predictable.)
>
> > Hasbro has stated that Clone Wars stuff is faring better than the
> > Legacy Collection.
>
> This surprises me.  Everywhere I shop, I see Clone Wars toys piling
> up.  As far as I can tell, they are most definitely not selling like
> hotcakes.

Is that from sales receipts, frequency of stocking, or just looking at
the shelves?

Gustavo!

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 12, 2009, 1:42:56 AM8/12/09
On Aug 10, 9:36 am, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 8:56 pm, retardomontalban <retardomontal...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > U.S. and Canada segment net revenues were $490.9 million, compared to
> > $467.7 million in 2008.
>
> Hasbro did really well in 2007, too.  Their Transformers sales,
> specificlally, were something like tripled compared to 2006.  It's all
> because of the movies.  They're creating a brand awareness that just
> didn't exist beforehand, at least not since the heyday of G1.  Kind of
> makes you wonder what they're going to try to do in order to sustain
> their sales after the final Transformers movie in 2011-ish.

And if sales were up in 2008 over 2007, that means Animated did very
well.

Gustavo!

Onslaught Six

Aug 12, 2009, 10:21:10 AM8/12/09
On Aug 11, 11:04 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Well, the LEGO Star Wars video games are a lot of fun, too, but that
> doesn't mean I want action figures designed in that style dominating
> the toy aisles.  (Maybe I need to watch the show more.  I sat through
> the movie and was pretty disappointed by it—not just the oddball
> visual style, though that was a major issue for me.  More than
> anything else, the storyline was boring and predictable.)

I ended up seeing a good chunk of it. Some episodes are better than
others, but it didn't help the fact that every time I watched the
show, it just felt like nothing *mattered.* It doesn't...feel like
Star Wars.

This is largely the same problem I had with the prequel trilogy in
general. I'm tired of this fraction of the universe. Give me a series
set between ANH and Empire, with Luke and Han and Chewie flying around
space fighting Stormtroopers. Or between Empire and ROTJ, showing Luke
fighting all kinds of space monsters and crap to become a better Jedi.

Zobovor

Aug 12, 2009, 1:34:22 PM8/12/09
On Aug 12, 8:21 am, Onslaught Six <Onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Give me a series set between ANH and Empire, with Luke and Han and
>Chewie flying around space fighting Stormtroopers. Or between Empire
>and ROTJ, showing Luke fighting all kinds of space monsters and crap to
>become a better Jedi.

Heck, yeah! The ages of the original actors is the biggest detriment
to not making any more live-action movies with Luke and Han and Leia,
but there's absolutely nothing to stop them from coming up with new
animated adventures. I certainly wouldn't insist on the original cast
doing the voices as long as we get some reasonably good sound-alikes
(of course, if the original actors *want* to reprise their roles, like
Anthony Daniels has continued to do, then that's fine, too).

The only thing I can think of that might stand in the way is that
there have already been a lot of comic books and novels and video
games and things that are sort of wrapped around the original movies.
A lot of the gaps have already been filled in. I guess a new show
could just ignore all that (I don't know how much of it Lucasfilm
considers to be canonical), but that might alienate a lot of long-time
fans. At least the prequel trilogy has room for new stories without
butting heads with the other 30 stories set in the same time period.

They should totally do this with Transformers, too. Instead of
constantly hitting the magic reset button and telling yet another
story about the Transformers coming to Earth for the very firstest
time, I'd love to see a show that was set in the G1 universe during
the Quintesson occupation of Cybertron, or during the beginning of the
Autobot-Decepticon war. These are major events in Cybertron history
and yet they've always been casually glossed over.

Zob

Onslaught Six

Aug 12, 2009, 1:58:50 PM8/12/09
On Aug 12, 1:34 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Heck, yeah!  The ages of the original actors is the biggest detriment
> to not making any more live-action movies with Luke and Han and Leia,
> but there's absolutely nothing to stop them from coming up with new
> animated adventures.  I certainly wouldn't insist on the original cast
> doing the voices as long as we get some reasonably good sound-alikes
> (of course, if the original actors *want* to reprise their roles, like
> Anthony Daniels has continued to do, then that's fine, too).

Well, Hamill does a ton of voice acting work to this day, so I'm sure
if they approached him with it, he'd be cool with it. Can't say I see
Harrison Ford doing it, though.

> The only thing I can think of that might stand in the way is that
> there have already been a lot of comic books and novels and video
> games and things that are sort of wrapped around the original movies.
> A lot of the gaps have already been filled in.  I guess a new show
> could just ignore all that (I don't know how much of it Lucasfilm
> considers to be canonical), but that might alienate a lot of long-time
> fans.  At least the prequel trilogy has room for new stories without
> butting heads with the other 30 stories set in the same time period.

I've read that Lucas himself doesn't really give much of a damn either
way. "I threw a scar on Anakin. I don't know how it got there! That's
those other guys' job."

> They should totally do this with Transformers, too.  Instead of
> constantly hitting the magic reset button and telling yet another
> story about the Transformers coming to Earth for the very firstest
> time, I'd love to see a show that was set in the G1 universe during
> the Quintesson occupation of Cybertron, or during the beginning of the
> Autobot-Decepticon war.  These are major events in Cybertron history
> and yet they've always been casually glossed over.

Or better, there could be a series set in the early 90s, a time period
never quite explored in the G1 cartoon canon.

I just wish there would be a full-on series that *didn't* focus on
Optimus Prime Fighting Megatron. That can still *happen,* somewhere
else in whatever universe. But it shouldn't be the focus. Prime should
show up in the first ep and send some guys to go Do Things. And the
young rebellious commander guy (Maybe even Rodimus?!) could be all, Aw
Man Why Do I Have To Go To This Stupid Planet. And hilarity ensues.

I remember Matrix Quest, and how kickass that was, just seeing random
characters go about looking for The Matrix on other planets. Longtooth
became an awesome character once I read that because he was a crazy
pirate Autobot. Doubleheader was kinda hilarious, too. "For once, I
agree with me!"

And those stories were 'cool,' despite Optimus Prime pretty much just
sitting in the background during them, going, "Find the Matrix! I suck
without it!" It 'works.' Prime doesn't need to be active--at least not
all the time.

I'd just like to see someone else get the spotlight for a while.

jarodimus

Aug 13, 2009, 1:46:52 PM8/13/09
On Aug 12, 10:21 am, Onslaught Six <Onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is largely the same problem I had with the prequel trilogy in
> general. I'm tired of this fraction of the universe. Give me a series
> set between ANH and Empire, with Luke and Han and Chewie flying around
> space fighting Stormtroopers. Or between Empire and ROTJ, showing Luke
> fighting all kinds of space monsters and crap to become a better Jedi.

While that would be loads of fun, and I'd love to see it, I can't see
how it would "matter" any more than the Prequel Trilogy and Clone
Wars. We still know what happens afterward.

For the longest time, I've wanted someone to make the Thrawn novels
into a series of animated movies. I think that would be GREAT.

-Jarodimus

Chad Rushing

Aug 13, 2009, 3:39:53 PM8/13/09
On Aug 13, 12:46 pm, jarodimus <jarodi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For the longest time, I've wanted someone to make the Thrawn novels
> into a series of animated movies. I think that would be GREAT.

Agreed. Rather than just filling in holes in the existing movie
storyline, expand upon it past ROTJ. Admiral Thrawn would make a good
villain.

- Chad

Zobovor

Aug 13, 2009, 5:50:44 PM8/13/09
On Aug 13, 11:46 am, jarodimus <jarodi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> While that would be loads of fun, and I'd love to see it, I can't see
> how it would "matter" any more than the Prequel Trilogy and Clone
> Wars.  We still know what happens afterward.

Speaking for myself, there's always going to be a special place in my
heart for the original trilogy characters that the guys from the new
movies and TV episodes will never share—if only because the original
movies are from my childhood. I grew up on them. I'm a lot more
interested in the "in-between" stories about characters that I've
loved since I was six years old. Not so much with characters that
were introduced to me a couple of years ago.

Zob

Zobovor

Aug 13, 2009, 5:58:17 PM8/13/09
On Aug 12, 11:58 am, Onslaught Six <Onslaught...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or better, there could be a series set in the early 90s, a time period
> never quite explored in the G1 cartoon canon.

I'm rather protective of that time period. My fan fiction lives
there. It's my territory. Now, get off my grass.

> I just wish there would be a full-on series that *didn't* focus on
> Optimus Prime Fighting Megatron. That can still *happen,* somewhere
> else in whatever universe. But it shouldn't be the focus.

Well, they could do that in the Quintesson-occupation-era setting.
The story would be about A-3 and Beta and their struggles to escape
the Quintesson oppression, and the occasional conflict with those
nasty military hardware guys. They could also do it to a lesser
extent in the advent-of-the-Autobot-slash-Decepticon-war setting.
(They say a good military leader never risks his life on the front
line, so it stands to reason that, at least at the beginning, Prime
and Megatron would be pulling the strings from behind the scenes,
while the story would really be about the Autobots and Decepticons who
were out there in the trenches, risking their lives every day.)

Zob

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 13, 2009, 7:22:03 PM8/13/09

Well, Optimus and Megs weren't even around during the Quintesson
occupation. And they are both very closely tied to the origins of
their modern factions -- so there is basically no one that we care
about who was around during the occupation.

The revelation that an existing character like Mirage was fighting the
Quintessons and just never bothered mentioning it would be strange and
jarring. Like Spock having a brother who rejected logic, or R2-D2
puttering about knowing that Darth Vader built C-3PO and was Luke's
father (remember, they only erased C-3PO's memory at the end of
"Revenge of the Sith"). Even Kup, old as he was, wasn't that old.

The occupation is effectively prehistory -- there are lots of good
stories to be told there, but they don't affect anyone we know.
Stories set during that period might as well be in an entirely new
continuity.

Gustavo!

SteveD

Aug 14, 2009, 8:34:23 AM8/14/09
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:34:22 -0700 (PDT), Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>They should totally do this with Transformers, too. Instead of
>constantly hitting the magic reset button and telling yet another
>story about the Transformers coming to Earth for the very firstest
>time

While I have no doubt that the adult fandom would cheer this on, the
transient nature of the primary demographic means that we're likely to see
the intro story repeat ad infinitum.

Part of the problem, I think, is the requirement to maintain legal holds
on the character names. Otherwise, it might be significantly easier to
simply shift the focus of each succeeding series to someplace/time else in
the same universe. Look at Super Sentai.

But we've gotta have an Optimus Prime and we've gotta have a Megatron, and
if we're gonna have them then they may as well be the faction/team leaders
and at war with each other, just like always.

_Animated_ did break away a little from this, making Optimus a junior
commander who just happened to be on the front line when Megatron launched
his comeback. It worked pretty well.

Maybe eventually we'll see a show where Optimus is a civilian newly
recruited to the Autobot Army in the course of the series, and Megatron is
a shadowy terrorist gathering an army. Or Optimus is a lone Cybertronian
who pursues Megatron to a planet much like Paradron, where they both
gather comrades and their struggle is viewed with alarm by local law
enforcement and political figures alike. Or anything, really, as long as
there are lots of characters to sell toys of.

-SteveD

Zobovor

Aug 14, 2009, 5:55:04 PM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 6:34 am, SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:

> Part of the problem, I think, is the requirement to maintain legal holds
> on the character names.

Sometimes I wonder whether they continue selling the same characters
just so they can secure the rights to the trademarks, or whether they
want to keep legal ownership of the trademarks just so they can
continue to sell the same characters. It really is a vicious little
circle.

Yes, trademark recognition is important for marketing purposes.
Rechristening the toy line under some name other than "Transformers"
could potentially mean disaster, even if the toys are designed in the
exact same style and made of the same quality materials. I absolutely
refuse to believe that the toy line would completely tank if there
isn't an Optimus Prime and a Megatron as part of every series,
though. (Especially since the names don't even represent specific
characters anymore—just character archetypes. How many Megatrons are
there, now? I can think of six or seven just within the Hasbro toy
universe, all completely different characters who just happen to share
the same name. It's ridiculous.)

There are so many interesting stories they could tell that they just
can't do with the current character lineup. What about an Autobot
leader who starts out corrupt and selfish, but gradually learns the
value of things like teamwork and trust? Hasbro would never allow
Optimus Prime to behave that way. Or how about a Decepticon leader
who believes he is operating for the common good, operating with a
twisted sense of honor but not afraid to take shortcuts in the name of
his brand of justice? That's a far cry from Megatron in any
continuity, who is always all about the EVIL FWAH HAH HAH. (Just
once, I want a Megatron who doesn't laugh his evil laugh. The best
villains are the ones who don't see themselves as evil. Like Darth
Vader. You'll never, ever hear Darth Vader cackle with maniacal
laughter.)

Zob (mwu ha ha)

Onslaught Six

Aug 14, 2009, 6:26:32 PM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 2:55 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> (Just
> once, I want a Megatron who doesn't laugh his evil laugh. The best
> villains are the ones who don't see themselves as evil. Like Darth
> Vader. You'll never, ever hear Darth Vader cackle with maniacal
> laughter.)

For what it's worth, Megatron doesn't Evil Laugh at all within All
Hail Megatron. :D

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 14, 2009, 6:37:28 PM8/14/09

Which is why it sucks. For what is Megatron without an evil laugh?
Less clichéd? Less evil? Less villainous? Who wants that?

A true villain is one who has the confidence to cackle with maniacal
laughter without feeling self conscious about it. Like my father.

Gustavo!

Gustavo Wombat

Aug 14, 2009, 6:58:03 PM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 2:55 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 6:34 am, SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Part of the problem, I think, is the requirement to maintain legal holds
> > on the character names.
>
> Sometimes I wonder whether they continue selling the same characters
> just so they can secure the rights to the trademarks, or whether they
> want to keep legal ownership of the trademarks just so they can
> continue to sell the same characters.  It really is a vicious little
> circle.

Lately, Transformers has had the main line, plus Universe, plus Robot
Heroes. They can use any of those to secure a trademark, so there's no
reason they couldn't focus on different characters.

> Yes, trademark recognition is important for marketing purposes.
> Rechristening the toy line under some name other than "Transformers"
> could potentially mean disaster, even if the toys are designed in the
> exact same style and made of the same quality materials.  I absolutely
> refuse to believe that the toy line would completely tank if there
> isn't an Optimus Prime and a Megatron as part of every series,
> though.  (Especially since the names don't even represent specific
> characters anymore—just character archetypes.  How many Megatrons are
> there, now?  I can think of six or seven just within the Hasbro toy
> universe, all completely different characters who just happen to share
> the same name.  It's ridiculous.)

I can only think of 5 Megatrons (G1, BW, Armadaverse, Movieverse and
Animated)

> There are so many interesting stories they could tell that they just
> can't do with the current character lineup.  What about an Autobot
> leader who starts out corrupt and selfish, but gradually learns the
> value of things like teamwork and trust?  Hasbro would never allow
> Optimus Prime to behave that way.  Or how about a Decepticon leader
> who believes he is operating for the common good, operating with a
> twisted sense of honor but not afraid to take shortcuts in the name of
> his brand of justice?  That's a far cry from Megatron in any
> continuity, who is always all about the EVIL FWAH HAH HAH.  (Just
> once, I want a Megatron who doesn't laugh his evil laugh.  The best
> villains are the ones who don't see themselves as evil.  Like Darth
> Vader.  You'll never, ever hear Darth Vader cackle with maniacal
> laughter.)

I'd love to see something focused off of Earth, but during the same
time period. Expand the universe, and let us know what folks like Kup
and Springer were doing before TF:TM. Dragging a whole lot of
continuity into it might be a mistake, but there's no reason that they
cannot go with a light continuity -- it fits into G1, but doesn't
depend on G1 -- and give us stories of Ultra Magnus fighting... um...
some random Decepticons.

Hmm. Lots of Autobots popped out of the woodwork around TF:TM, but no
Decepticons did. Perhaps that would give us the best of both worlds --
lots of characters we know and love, and lots of new characters.

Gustavo!

G.B. Blackrock

Aug 14, 2009, 7:02:12 PM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 3:58 pm, Gustavo Wombat <GustavoWom...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2:55 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > I absolutely
> > refuse to believe that the toy line would completely tank if there
> > isn't an Optimus Prime and a Megatron as part of every series,
> > though. (Especially since the names don't even represent specific
> > characters anymore—just character archetypes. How many Megatrons are
> > there, now? I can think of six or seven just within the Hasbro toy
> > universe, all completely different characters who just happen to share
> > the same name. It's ridiculous.)
>
> I can only think of 5 Megatrons (G1, BW, Armadaverse, Movieverse and
> Animated)

Robots in Disguise Megatron

I could add more if we moved beyond toys, but that defeats the
purpose.

G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock

Aug 14, 2009, 7:03:03 PM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 4:02 pm, "G.B. Blackrock" <nicodemusleg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Actually, I suppose Shattered Glass Megatron is a Hasbro toy, after a
fashion.

SteveD

Aug 15, 2009, 8:41:34 AM8/15/09
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:55:04 -0700 (PDT), Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 6:34�am, SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem, I think, is the requirement to maintain legal holds
>> on the character names.
>
>Sometimes I wonder whether they continue selling the same characters
>just so they can secure the rights to the trademarks, or whether they
>want to keep legal ownership of the trademarks just so they can
>continue to sell the same characters. It really is a vicious little
>circle.

If they stopped enforcing the trademark, and the names became public
domain, anyone could call their robot toy (or other product or service)
"Optimus Prime" or "Megatron" - and probably would, for the name
recognition.

It could even be seen as Hasbro selflessly keeping the number of Optimus
toys _down_, odd as that may seem.

-SteveD

Chad Rushing

Aug 15, 2009, 1:44:33 PM8/15/09
On Aug 15, 7:41 am, SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:

> If they stopped enforcing the trademark, and the names became public
> domain, anyone could call their robot toy (or other product or service)
> "Optimus Prime" or "Megatron" - and probably would, for the name
> recognition.

Considering what moneymakers the characters Optimus and Megatron are
for Hasbro, I expect them to go the same route Disney has with Mickey
Mouse and do anything and everything within their power to keep them
from entering the public domain.

- Chad