Why is it that both Rodimus Prime and TM Hot Rod released in G1 1987?

Rodimus_2316

Dec 10, 2017, 1:12:49 PM12/10/17
This doesn't make sense to me. If Optimus Prime hadn't been brought back, like originally-intended, would RP and HR co-exist at the same time somehow?

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 10, 2017, 3:46:53 PM12/10/17
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 11:12:49 AM UTC-7, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> This doesn't make sense to me. If Optimus Prime hadn't been brought back,
> like originally-intended, would RP and HR co-exist at the same time somehow?

The movie and its characters were developed prior to the 1986 product line. Then it fell to Hasbro to create toys based on characters from the movie. They picked the most marketable characters, while shoehorning some into the existing allegiances (Wreck-Gar was sold as an Autobot; the Sharkticon was given an individual identity and sold as a Decepticon) while some prominent characters didn't get toys at all (Arcee, Unicron, the Quintessons).

Hot Rod got the most screen time in the movie, so a toy of him certainly made sense. It didn't make sense to just ignore Rodimus Prime, though, since he was the new Autobot leader, and that's the identity he took during the third season. So, they made toys for both versions of the character.

Zob (finally broke down and bought Titans Return Overlord today, because nobody here stopped me from doing so)

Rodimus_2316

Dec 10, 2017, 5:10:25 PM12/10/17
I think you misunderstand. I meant from 1987, during the era of the original Headmasters and Targetmasters. In a season 4, if Optimus hadn't been brought back, how could HR/RP be a Targetmaster and Prime leader at the same time?

Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

- Rodimus_2316

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 10, 2017, 5:22:36 PM12/10/17
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 3:10:25 PM UTC-7, Rodimus_2316 wrote:

> In a season 4, if Optimus hadn't been brought back, how could HR/RP be a
> Targetmaster and Prime leader at the same time?

Shrug. Were they still selling the Rodimus Prime toy in 1987? Obviously, Targetmaster Hot Rod was a 1987 product, so that's the one they would be promoting. I guess they could have done stories where Optimus got hurt and Rodimus had to carry the Matrix again for a while, but for the most part I tend to think the Rodimus persona was over and done with after Optimus came back.

Zob (or, conversely, a Targetmaster Rodimus Prime toy would have been kinda cool)

Optim_1

Dec 11, 2017, 10:13:42 PM12/11/17
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 15:46:53 UTC-5, Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys) wrote:

> Hot Rod got the most screen time in the movie, so a toy of him certainly made sense. It didn't make sense to just ignore Rodimus Prime, though, since he was the new Autobot leader, and that's the identity he took during the third season. So, they made toys for both versions of the character.

I wonder why since Hot Rod and Rodimus share EXACTLY the same character model. The Rodimus toy was a poor attempt to make him look different from Hot Rod.

Hasbro could have just added the trailer to the far superior Hot Rod toy to imitate Rodimus's alt mode. Just move the spoiler up to accommodate the trailer.

Zobovor (the Man with All the Toys)

Dec 11, 2017, 10:55:25 PM12/11/17
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 8:13:42 PM UTC-7, Optim_1 wrote:

> Hasbro could have just added the trailer to the far superior Hot Rod toy to
> imitate Rodimus's alt mode. Just move the spoiler up to accommodate the
> trailer.

Well, Hasbro designed the toys based on early designs for the characters. An early design for Rodimus really does have that weird face, like on the Hasbro toy.

You're right, though. They should have just sold a Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime toy with a removable trailer option. Maybe make the legs extend slightly. And find a way to hide the engine for Rodimus mode.

Zob (we're just reinventing the Masterpiece toy at this point, aren't we?)

David Connell

Dec 12, 2017, 11:37:01 AM12/12/17
Or the Classics Rodimus/Warbot Protector combo.