Where did "Seeker" come from??

Dave Van Domelen

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

In article <4t3k2d$f...@helena.MT.net>,
Dan Hibiki <sirs...@lewis.MT.net> wrote:
> Yes, I have managed to figure out what a "Seeker" jet is (although I'm
>not sure if Thrust, Dirge, and Ramjet qualify), but I want to know
>where the name came from! Somebody must know this one...!

I *think* the generic triangle jets were called Seekers when Spike and
some Autobots went to Wheeljack's lab on Cybertron once.
And the three jets you mention do qualify. If you remove all the wing
and tail pieces you get the same core parts on all six jets.
Dave Van Domelen, just finished painting a Starscream decoy as
Skywarp (since he already painted a Thundercracker decoy as Starscream).

Dan Hibiki

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

Yes, I have managed to figure out what a "Seeker" jet is (although I'm
not sure if Thrust, Dirge, and Ramjet qualify), but I want to know
where the name came from! Somebody must know this one...!

- Dan Hibiki

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <4t3nat$n...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

Dave Van Domelen <dva...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>In article <4t3k2d$f...@helena.MT.net>,
>Dan Hibiki <sirs...@lewis.MT.net> wrote:
> I *think* the generic triangle jets were called Seekers when Spike and
>some Autobots went to Wheeljack's lab on Cybertron once.
> And the three jets you mention do qualify. If you remove all the wing
>and tail pieces you get the same core parts on all six jets.

Actually, I think the name comes from the US comic, in the issues
featuring Straxus and Blaster in combat on Cybertron. The generic pyramid
fighters are called 'Hunter-Seeker Decepticon Jets' and the term was
shortened and adopted by the fans.

KKC, put it in the FAQ! Put it in the FAQ!
--
"Brilliant, Mayday! Remind me to kiss you!" - Kendrick Kerwin Chua
"First, remind me to get a tetanus shot..." - EMAD kend...@io.com

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <rjungDv...@netcom.com>,
Robert A. Jung <rj...@netcom.com> wrote:

>In article <4t5bfs$4...@pentagon.io.com> kend...@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) writes:
>>Actually, I think the name comes from the US comic, in the issues
>>featuring Straxus and Blaster in combat on Cybertron. The generic pyramid
>>fighters are called 'Hunter-Seeker Decepticon Jets' and the term was
>>shortened and adopted by the fans.
>
> Just to comment, but am I the only one who *HATES* the term "seeker"? At
>face value, it makes no sense whatsoever, and IMO doesn't sound impressive
>enough for the role. Even knowing the origin doesn't help, as "hunter-seeker
>Decepticon jets" is a horrific mouthful.

Is it really nonsensical? Starscream is seeking to take over the
Decepticons, and eventually the universe. Thundercracker is seeking
respect, and Skywarp is seeking a good time. Ramjet is seeking physical
thrills, Thrust is seeking psychological thrills, and Dirge seeks to
remain a mystery.

They sure sound like Seekers to me. Or could that be contrived? Nah. :)

KKC, they're characters, for crying out loud. Why does a name or a
monicker have to have something to do with your abilities or your
weaponry?

Tengu

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Hey, I don't like the term "seeker" myself... But what does it
really matter? If you can't stand the term, just call them jets...
Starscream is a jet, Thundercracker as well. Skywarp- yep, a jet.
Ram*jet*? Him too. Dirge and Thrust, both jets. Whether they all "seek"
their own "path" or "Decepticon enlightenment," they're still jets. :)

Tengu:<>

Robert A. Jung

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <4t5bfs$4...@pentagon.io.com> kend...@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) writes:
>Actually, I think the name comes from the US comic, in the issues
>featuring Straxus and Blaster in combat on Cybertron. The generic pyramid
>fighters are called 'Hunter-Seeker Decepticon Jets' and the term was
>shortened and adopted by the fans.

Just to comment, but am I the only one who *HATES* the term "seeker"? At
face value, it makes no sense whatsoever, and IMO doesn't sound impressive
enough for the role. Even knowing the origin doesn't help, as "hunter-seeker
Decepticon jets" is a horrific mouthful.

"Hunter" would have been better, I think. "Air hunter," even. Or heck,
just call 'em what they are -- jets. B-)

--R.J.,
picky, picky, picky!
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa

Mike

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Tengu wrote:

> In article <rjungDv...@netcom.com>, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:
>
> > (Which is one reason why I think Dole should lose the '96 election, by the
> >way -- not only does "President Dole" sound too much like "President Dull,"
> >but 'dole' is also supposed to be the Islamic word for 'penis'...)

Some of you may not believe this but "Tin tin" in filipino means penis.
My step mother always laughs when she sees "The Adventures of Tin Tin"
on Nick.
If Clinton wants Power Rangers off the air, I hope he won't
attack cartoons like Beast Wars too.

SkyJammer

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Personally, I like the term "Seeker". It sounds cool, but I don't think it's
kewl. And, yes, there is a difference.

Actually, I think what I like about it -- and "Gestalt", actually -- is the
fact is that it's basically a Fan-based name thrown into the whole TF Mythos.

They were never officially called "Seekers" (okay, seeker-hunter jets, but
not just "Seekers"), and the first time I encountered the word "Gestalt" was
on the newsgroup.

Just these little things done by the fandom just enhances the entire storyline,
because if we can add our own ideas to it, then we definitely believe it has
some substance, even for a fictional work.

Man, that's rather deep considering what time it is and who it's coming from.
=-)

-SkyJammer
[At times as deep as a puddle, as sharp as a bowl of pudding.... =-) ]

__
___ _
|_| \_ | 2ei5z...@vms.csd.mu.edu or ze...@studsys.mscs.mu.edu
| \|_|\ | http://studsys.mscs.mu.edu/~zeman
| \_| | SkyJammer Tech Specs @ http://studsys.mscs.mu.edu/~zeman/sj.html
|_|---|___| MU Band Webmaster - Check us out at http://www.mu.edu/dept/band/

SkyJammer

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <rjungDv...@netcom.com>, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:
[snip]

> (Which is one reason why I think Dole should lose the '96 election, by the
>way -- not only does "President Dole" sound too much like "President Dull,"
>but 'dole' is also supposed to be the Islamic word for 'penis'...)

Thank you, Robert, for painting SUCH a lovely picture. =-)

I hope that's not your ONLY reason for wanting Dole to lose; I'd like
to think that people still worry about things like political issues,
rather than "his name doesn't sound good".... =-)

Then again, I am supporting Bill & Opus (see my home page for details.) =-)

ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any TransFormers
names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.

Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.

Can anyone think of some?

-SkyJammer
[Not sure exactly how I named my character.....]

Tengu

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <rjungDv...@netcom.com>, rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:

> (Which is one reason why I think Dole should lose the '96 election, by the
>way -- not only does "President Dole" sound too much like "President Dull,"
>but 'dole' is also supposed to be the Islamic word for 'penis'...)

No offense, but what is an "Islamic" word? I always thought Islam was a
religion... Arabic maybe? ;)
Transformers will return after these messages...

Tengu:<>
Bikelum Araby?

Drogn

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <4tcejv$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, stars...@aol.com
(Starshado1) wrote:

> In article <009A5E5E...@vms.csd.mu.edu>, 2ei5z...@vms.csd.mu.edu

> (SkyJammer) writes:
>
> >ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any
> TransFormers
> >names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
> >personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.
> >
> >Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.
>

> Actually, I always saw Galvatron's name as a derivative of the the word
> "galvanize," which means, according to the wonderful world of Webster:
>
> 1.) To subject to the action of an electric current.
> 2.) To stimulate or excite as if by an electric shock.
> 3.) To coat (iron or steel) with zinc.
>
> Now, if you go and cross-reference that with Galvatron's tech specs or
> "Transformers Universe" bio, you'll see that it says in there that he
> carries "a laser that fires chemically produced direct current
> electricity." Add the obligatory "tron" to the end of the word, and there
> ya go.
>
> Wait a minute.....he gave up the power of _nuclear fusion_ for
> THIS?!!*************

I always thought Galvie's cannon was an antimatter beam! Maybe it
was different in the comics or cartoon. Can anyone produce a reference for
this, or at least a contradictory one?

-Drogn, who promises his spoogey
.sig will dissapear when the Olympics are over

--
G++++, FR+/FW, M+.5, #22.5, AA+, N+++, B, Q++
"And so you see that Evil will ALWAYS triumph, because Good is dumb!"
-Space Balls
"All you of Earth, are IDIOTS!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
Team Decepticon '96:
Kickback high and long jumps
Ravage sprint, hurdles
Skywarp relay
Seacons, combined swim team (can reach out and tap
end markers with either hand)
Bombshell shotput
Soundwave table tennis, archery, Rythmic Gymnastics
Dead End diving (big robot, little pool... think
about it)
-Me
Sixshot Modern Pentathlon
Targetmasters Shooting
Menasor Greco-Gestalt Wrestling
Bruticus |
Devastator |
Predaking |
Abominus |
-Blitzwing
Nightbird Karate, Fencing, Gymnastics
Blitzwing and G2 Megatron pitchers on the baseball team
Rumble and Frenzy power forwards on the
basketball team
(they're tall for humans)
Trypticon and Scorponok weight lifting
Starscream running (he can use his null
ray on the other runners)
Megatron skeet shooting
-Burt Ward
Tarantulas(Beast Wars) gymnastics
Snapper(Beast Wars Turtle) swim team
-Mark Towe
Mindwipe Boxing, Freestyle Wrestling, Tennis
(he can hypnotize his oponents into
falling asleep)
Reflector Synochronized Swimming, Volleyball
Shockwave Diving
-Suzanne Ferree
Unicron basketball
-Greg Dopp
More suggestions? I'll probably edit them a bit, but the original idea gets credited

Don't worry, this spoogey .sig will be gone when the Olympics are over

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

SkyJammer <2ei5z...@vms.csd.mu.edu> wrote:

>ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any TransFormers
>names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
>personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.
>
>Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.

Isn't Galvatron supposed to be Megatron 'Galvanized'? Take Megatron's lust
for power and incessant greed and amplify it a million times, give it no
restraint and no boundaries and Galvatron is about what you get. Megatron
you could reason with and have a relationship with. Galvatron is just
plain unstoppable, so why would be bother with reason or with
interpersonal skills?

>Can anyone think of some?

I can think of a few original characters in fanfic and on MUSHes that fit
this description, but that's a little unfair since most fans don't have an
army of thirty writers and market execs to help them name giant robots.
But as for Hasbro/Marvel characters, I can think of quite a few... Straxus
and Jhiaxus are nonsensical psuedo-Latin names, Firestar is a funny name
for a femme pickup truck, and Gears isn't a mechanic, although his name is
suggestive of his attitude in connotative ways.

Let's see. Blaze Master is a Micromaster helicopter? Gort is a funny name
for a Headmaster, even if he was the first Nebulan to make contact with
the Autobots. Roll Out is a bulldozer who's a Navy SEAL-type covert
operative, and I can't think of what his name has to do with either.
Trypticon's name is borne of his haveing three modes, rather thanfrom his
low self-sesteem or his city identity. And Spinner is a Japanese police
car... What's spinning, his police lights?

That's all I can think of for now. Maybe the thread will keep rolling on
if we talk about fan-created characters too. :)

KKC, geez, what am I doing online on a Saturday?

Starshado1

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

(SkyJammer) writes:

>ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any
TransFormers
>names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
>personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.
>
>Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.

Actually, I always saw Galvatron's name as a derivative of the the word

"galvanize," which means, according to the wonderful world of Webster:

1.) To subject to the action of an electric current.
2.) To stimulate or excite as if by an electric shock.
3.) To coat (iron or steel) with zinc.

Now, if you go and cross-reference that with Galvatron's tech specs or
"Transformers Universe" bio, you'll see that it says in there that he
carries "a laser that fires chemically produced direct current
electricity." Add the obligatory "tron" to the end of the word, and there
ya go.

Wait a minute.....he gave up the power of _nuclear fusion_ for
THIS?!!*************

<"Insert any quote from Starscream here.">
<Starshadow>>Wolf Pack>

/"W...Wait! I still function!"\
/"Wanna bet?"\

Starshado1

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

Warning: The following may be considered by some to be tasteless! ;P

writes:

> (Which is one reason why I think Dole should lose the '96 election, by
the
>way -- not only does "President Dole" sound too much like "President
Dull,"
>but 'dole' is also supposed to be the Islamic word for 'penis'...)

Oh my lord.........And why haven't the Democrats used this one against
him? I can see it now:

Clinton's motto: "Vote for Bill, not for dick."

Paid for by the Democratic Committee to Keep Men Who's Names Mean Male
Genitalia in Other Languages Out of the Whitehouse.**********************

SkyJammer

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <4tcejv$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, stars...@aol.com (Starshado1) writes:
>In article <009A5E5E...@vms.csd.mu.edu>, 2ei5z...@vms.csd.mu.edu
>(SkyJammer) writes:
[snip]

>>Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.
>
>Actually, I always saw Galvatron's name as a derivative of the the word
>"galvanize," which means, according to the wonderful world of Webster:
>
>1.) To subject to the action of an electric current.
>2.) To stimulate or excite as if by an electric shock.
>3.) To coat (iron or steel) with zinc.

Now, I was able to pick up on the "galvanize" part, but I always would
associate it with the 3rd definition, that of coating. I never would
hear "Galvatron" and think "Electric current." Nope it was Galvatron -- the
'con who covered himself with zinc. =-)

>Now, if you go and cross-reference that with Galvatron's tech specs or
>"Transformers Universe" bio, you'll see that it says in there that he
>carries "a laser that fires chemically produced direct current
>electricity." Add the obligatory "tron" to the end of the word, and there
>ya go.

Now *this* I didn't think of. It's been so long since I've read his bio
or specs, that I never thought of that.....

Neat.

>Wait a minute.....he gave up the power of _nuclear fusion_ for
>THIS?!!*************

Well, he *is* crazy, you know.... =-)

-SkyJammer
[Kinda worried my UNIX account with my WWW stuff won't be around come Monday
morning..... darn admins....]

Dirge

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

-> In article <4t7trk$h...@pentagon.io.com> kend...@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) writes:

-> >KKC, they're characters, for crying out loud. Why does a name or a
-> >monicker have to have something to do with your abilities or your
-> >weaponry?

-> Psychology. It's one thing to be cowered by "Doctor Doom"; it's another
-> matter all togehter to try and take "Master Cuddles, Destroyer of Worlds"
-> seriously...

I think 'Interbot' is pretty scary (:

-> (Which is one reason why I think Dole should lose the '96 election, by the
-> way -- not only does "President Dole" sound too much like "President Dull,"
-> but 'dole' is also supposed to be the Islamic word for 'penis'...)

The "dole" here is welfare payments for the unemployed. Since it's a
federal handout, a national leader called Dole would face all sorts of
jokes. For me President Dole sounds pretty damn undignified because he
might as well be President Welfare State (:

Darren, what the hell am I commenting on US politics for? And here of all
places..

Deon C Thompson

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

> I always thought Galvie's cannon was an antimatter beam! Maybe it
was different in the comics or cartoon. Can anyone produce a reference for
this, or at least a contradictory one?

--

I heard that it was super-heated plasma. I looked over the Marvel UTF
entry and checked his tech. spec. but can't figure out where I heard that he

--
Desert Moon & The Lost Swords
[de...@hubcap.clemson.edu]

JKierst920

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

In article <4tbpjg$6...@acy1.digex.net>, then...@acy1.digex.net (The
Nixtr) writes:

>QUOTING:
> If Clinton wants Power Rangers off the air, I hope he won't
>attack cartoons like Beast Wars too.
>

>RESPONSE: That's not Clinton bashing the Power Rangers. Al Gore is the
>one doing that.
>--

Yeah, and Al Gore is also the one who wants us to bury our cars! WHat if
they were Transformers? (the cars... just to stay in topic ;)

| John Kierstead |
| JKier...@aol.com |
| http://users.aol.com/JKierst920/1985.html |
| Transformer Collector! |
+===========================================+

The Nixtr

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

QUOTING:

Yeah, and Al Gore is also the one who wants us to bury our cars! WHat if
they were Transformers? (the cars... just to stay in topic ;)

RESPONSE: I don't think the Transformers would tolerate it.

*** Transformers and politics DO mix! ***
*** Coming soon: The Deformers: The election of 2096 ***

--
The Nixtr *** Transformer fan ***
Injured by abortion malpractice??? Call 1-800-U-CAN-SUE

Zach Adams

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <4te2t0$p...@pentagon.io.com>, kend...@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) says:

>In article <009A5E5E...@vms.csd.mu.edu>,
>SkyJammer <2ei5z...@vms.csd.mu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>Can anyone think of some?
>

>Let's see. Blaze Master is a Micromaster helicopter? Gort is a funny name

>for a Headmaster, even if he was the first Nebulan to make contact with
>the Autobots. Roll Out is a bulldozer who's a Navy SEAL-type covert
>operative, and I can't think of what his name has to do with either.
>Trypticon's name is borne of his haveing three modes, rather thanfrom his
>low self-sesteem or his city identity. And Spinner is a Japanese police
>car... What's spinning, his police lights?

Well, this is a MASSIVE stretch (careful not to damage any
muscles!), but in BLADE RUNNER, a Spinner was a land/air vehicle, that only
police were authorised to drive and that had pretty much replaced cop cars
entirely. So <shrugs> (:

>That's all I can think of for now. Maybe the thread will keep rolling on
>if we talk about fan-created characters too. :)

Here're a few off the top of my head. Tailgate? Hubcap? Sure, both
good automotive anatomy names, but I see little to do with either of their
personalities. Ditto Double-Clutch, High-Beam, Windbreaker (does he wear
a jacket, or does he have flatulence problems?) and a few others I could
name just off the top of my head. (:
Peas,
Zach
How'd this whole Unicron-in-SUPERMAN REBORN thing get started
*anyway*?

>KKC, geez, what am I doing online on a Saturday?

Likely the same thing I was doing...waiting for people to return
calls so that I had something better to do.

>"Brilliant, Mayday! Remind me to kiss you!" - Kendrick Kerwin Chua
>"First, remind me to get a tetanus shot..." - EMAD kend...@io.com
>Trade me Transformers toys for copies of the Japanese Transformers
>cartoon series, never broadcast in the USA! E-mail me for details!

No. You can't have my Transformers...no...stay away...

Zachary Adams (bad...@longview.net)
BOYCOTT DISNEY'S HUNCHBACK---butchered literary classics SUCK!
Animation fan, English major@Texas A&M, toy collector and DEVOtee
"Learn your computers and remember your dreams."--Mark Mothersbaugh

Starshado1

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <merryhwd-270...@pm0a27.bf.sover.net>,
merr...@sover.net (Drogn) writes:

>> Now, if you go and cross-reference that with Galvatron's tech specs or
>> "Transformers Universe" bio, you'll see that it says in there that he
>> carries "a laser that fires chemically produced direct current
>> electricity." Add the obligatory "tron" to the end of the word, and
there
>> ya go.
>>

>> Wait a minute.....he gave up the power of _nuclear fusion_ for
>> THIS?!!*************
>>

> I always thought Galvie's cannon was an antimatter beam! Maybe it
>was different in the comics or cartoon. Can anyone produce a reference
for
>this, or at least a contradictory one?

Nope, not according to the American comic and tech specs. I can't locate
my tech specs right this moment, (ARGH!) but if you look under his entry
in the "Transformers Universe" mini-series of the comic, it's under his
"Abilities". Scary, but true.*****************************************

From the one who has been enlightened and will soon be switching servers
to NetCom (star...@ix.netcom.com)!!

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <71d7cc$3c8...@news.tyler.net>,

Zach Adams <zqa...@tamu.edu> wrote:
>In article <4te2t0$p...@pentagon.io.com>, kend...@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) says:
>>That's all I can think of for now. Maybe the thread will keep rolling on
>>if we talk about fan-created characters too. :)
> Here're a few off the top of my head. Tailgate? Hubcap? Sure, both
>good automotive anatomy names, but I see little to do with either of their
>personalities. Ditto Double-Clutch, High-Beam, Windbreaker (does he wear
>a jacket, or does he have flatulence problems?) and a few others I could
>name just off the top of my head. (:

Well, Tailgate is a big dumb bunny of an Autobot, so his name COULD be
indicative of the fact that he 'always has his mind stuck in low gear'.
And Hubcap is the ultimate dissembler, his lies and conning always
covering up the nuts and bolts of his true plans. The Axlerators and
Gobots seem to have more generic names which are all indicative of speed.
But Motormouth seems to have the most fitting name, since he is supposed
to be the kind that can't shut up. Insofar as we can derive any kind of
personality from the G2 tech specs, at any rate. :)

KKC, brought She-Spawn to work again. Somehow she seems to make my
computer that much more... authoritative. :)

SkyJammer

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <71d7cc$3c8...@news.tyler.net>, zqa...@tamu.edu (Zach Adams) writes:
[snip]

> Here're a few off the top of my head. Tailgate? Hubcap? Sure, both
>good automotive anatomy names, but I see little to do with either of their
>personalities. Ditto Double-Clutch, High-Beam, Windbreaker (does he wear
>a jacket, or does he have flatulence problems?) and a few others I could
>name just off the top of my head. (:

Well, my original question said did any TFs have names not relating to their
personalities or FORMS, so everyone you just mentioned pass.

Except for Windbreaker, which I don't want to get into. =-)

> How'd this whole Unicron-in-SUPERMAN REBORN thing get started
>*anyway*?

You really want to know? Go to Coming Attractions by Corona's "Superman
Reborn" site at http://www.islandnet.com/~corona/films/details/superman5.html

Scary.

>>KKC, geez, what am I doing online on a Saturday?
> Likely the same thing I was doing...waiting for people to return
>calls so that I had something better to do.

I was watching the Olympics whilst backing up my WWW stuff....
Okay, so it's not much of a life.... =-)

-SkyJammer
[Doesn't believe the Unicron in Superman Reborn either.]

Edmund Whitmore

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

> >ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any TransFormers
> >names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
> >personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.
> >
> >Okay, maybe Galvatron, but that's it.
>
> Isn't Galvatron supposed to be Megatron 'Galvanized'? Take Megatron's lust
> for power and incessant greed and amplify it a million times, give it no
> restraint and no boundaries and Galvatron is about what you get. Megatron
> you could reason with and have a relationship with. Galvatron is just
> plain unstoppable, so why would be bother with reason or with
> interpersonal skills?
>
> >Can anyone think of some?
>
> I can think of a few original characters in fanfic and on MUSHes that fit
> this description, but that's a little unfair since most fans don't have an
> army of thirty writers and market execs to help them name giant robots.
> But as for Hasbro/Marvel characters, I can think of quite a few... Straxus
> and Jhiaxus are nonsensical psuedo-Latin names, Firestar is a funny name
> for a femme pickup truck, and Gears isn't a mechanic, although his name is
> suggestive of his attitude in connotative ways.
>
> Let's see. Blaze Master is a Micromaster helicopter? Gort is a funny name
> for a Headmaster, even if he was the first Nebulan to make contact with
> the Autobots. Roll Out is a bulldozer who's a Navy SEAL-type covert
> operative, and I can't think of what his name has to do with either.
> Trypticon's name is borne of his haveing three modes, rather thanfrom his
> low self-sesteem or his city identity. And Spinner is a Japanese police
> car... What's spinning, his police lights?
>
> That's all I can think of for now. Maybe the thread will keep rolling on
> if we talk about fan-created characters too. :)

I can name some. What is an Optimus, I have to ask. What's a
Kup? How does Shrapnel fit in with an insect? What does Spinister mean?

Jonah

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Pardon me, I've never posted here before, but I thought I could try. I
always thought that "Seeker" was the little car that came out of OP's
trailer. The only time I ever heard this was on an episode of the
cartoon a long time ago, but it stuck in my head for some reason.

Jonah
:-)

Napalm-Rabbit

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Jonah (co...@ballistic.com) wrote:
: Pardon me, I've never posted here before, but I thought I could try. I

: always thought that "Seeker" was the little car that came out of OP's
: trailer. The only time I ever heard this was on an episode of the
: cartoon a long time ago, but it stuck in my head for some reason.

No man, I think that's Roller, this R2-D2 type bot that scurries around.

Most memorable moment is when Prime gets his butt kicked by the explosion on
the side of the mining mountain, and rolls down the hill as he yells out a
"ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!"

D "can ya transform Prime?" T :)

--
dtng...@mail.sas.upenn.edu
dtng...@force.stwing.upenn.edu

Cecilia Matz

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

co...@ballistic.com (Jonah) wrote:
>Pardon me, I've never posted here before, but I thought I could try. I
>always thought that "Seeker" was the little car that came out of OP's
>trailer.
The little "car" was called Roller if I remember this right.

The only time I ever heard this was on an episode of the
>cartoon a long time ago, but it stuck in my head for some reason.

I think the triangular =B4con jets were called "hunter seeker jets".
But the word "Seeker" is something the fans came up with.(I think)
>Jonah
>:-)

Cecilia

santino porretta

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96
to co...@ballistic.com

Nope. The little car that comes out of Prime's trailer is Roller, and was
to my surprise used in a couple of episodes. Also, did anyone remember an
episode when Prime's trailer transformed into battle mode and Megatron
blew it up in one shot?? As I recall from Prime's tech-specs, the inury of
one module is felt by the other two. This would mean that Prime would
either be in severe agony or just plain dead. And I suppose he could just
rebuild another trailer right?

Tengu

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Prime may have felt pain from the blast, but it is further
specified in
Marvel's TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE that although Prime could survive without
Battle Deck and Roller, they could not survive without him. Killing
Roller
or 'Deck might injure Prime severely, but killing Prime would without a
doubt kill R & BD.

Tengu:<>

Papa Pitufo

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96
to Edmund Whitmore

From the TF Universe, Kup comes from "picKUP truck"...
Steve McCARgar

Here's a good trick: Get a job as a judge at the Olympics. Then, if
some guy sets a new world record, just pretend that you didn't see it
and say, "Okay, is everybody ready to start now?"

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

In article <31FEC6...@earthlink.net>,

Edmund Whitmore <edmu...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >ObTransFormers: On the subject of names, I can't think of any TransFormers
>> >names which DIDN'T reflect some aspect of his or her mode or
>> >personality, even silly G2 included, like Hooligan.
>
> I can name some. What is an Optimus, I have to ask. What's a
>Kup? How does Shrapnel fit in with an insect? What does Spinister mean?

Optimus is actually a latin word which approximates to 'best' or, if you
prefer, 'the best which can be seen.' Ignoring the incorrect declination
of nouns and adjectives, then Optimus Prime can literally be translated to
mean 'The first of the best, and the best of the first.'

Kup is actually short for pickup truck, since many of the movie characters
had names which were abbreviated forms of their vehicle modes (like Hot
Rod or Arcee (RC, short for Race Car).

Shrapnel's name actually has to do with the fragmentation grenades he's
able to launch from his arms. A tertiary point here is that the original
three Insecticons all seem to have names which are ballistics lingo of
some sort; Bombshell literally launches bombshells and Kickback is known
for his strong legs, so the names aren't entirely meaningless.

And Spinister fits in in that post-movie vategory of TF names which are
meant to be compound puns on certain adjectives or onomatopoeia. In this
case, he's a sinister Decepticon whose helicopter blades spin. Spinister.
Other Transformers who have this sort of name are Tenta-kil the murderous
squid, Hun-Grrr the growling stomach, Grotusque the ugly saber-toothed
tiger, and Elita-1, the female leader of the elite Autobots.

KKC, would like to point out that Battle Angel Alita is not a Transformer,
thank you very much the bathrooms are on the right have a nice day drive
through don't forget small children on the way out!
--
"... like two dogs and a cat, or a bat and a pig or something ..."
Kendrick Kerwin Chua- kend...@io.com- http://www.io.com/~kendrick

Ratbat

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Edmund Whitmore wrote:

> I can name some. What is an Optimus, I have to ask.

It's Latin. Like in Optimal. Best, it means. Guess it's cause he's the
leader.

> What's a
> Kup?

A picKUP truck, like what he transforms into.

> How does Shrapnel fit in with an insect?

Well, I get the idea that the three black Insecticons were some kind of
gunner team. Kickback, Shrapnel and Bombshell all sound like artillery words.

> What does Spinister mean?

He's not married! :)

Urac 'Ratbat' Sigma, almost but not quite.

{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{ 'It's time I 'came out' to you, as well - I too have the brain of a }
{ woman and the body of a man...back there, in the trunk.' }
{ - Harry Sadist }
{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Commander Urac 'Ratbat' Sigma }
{ Email goes to: u96...@student.canberra.edu.au }
{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}

trek

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Edmund Whitmore <edmu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I can name some. What is an Optimus, I have to ask. What's a
>Kup? How does Shrapnel fit in with an insect? What does Spinister mean?

The name optimus prime crudly translated means "best first"
quite a cool name for a leader wouldn't you say!!!

trek

Iggy Drougge

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Edmund Whitmore (edmu...@earthlink.net) wrote:

: I can name some. What is an Optimus, I have to ask. What's a
: Kup? How does Shrapnel fit in with an insect? What does Spinister mean?

Optimus is latin, basically being cake on cake, "best best". Kup is
derived from PicKup. Shrapnel carries a grenade launcher, firing grenades
which split up into thousands of small shrapnel spikes. Spinsister's
rotors spin. Everything's explainable.

--
/\ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ____
/\// \ / \ / /\ /_ \ / \ / \ / /\ / \ / \ / __/

The Nixtr

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

QUOTING: Spinsister's

rotors spin. Everything's explainable.

RESPONSE: Plus, Spinister's supposed to be sinister... one of those "pun"
names many later TF's had.

The Nixtr
-PS: Is Spinister left-handed?
--
The Nixtr ** Transformer fan ** BEWARE OF evil MICHAEL LEHMAN (Karbunkle)
ACLU LOGIC: to spank your child is abuse, but to kill your child is a

Eric Matthews

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

> Optimus is actually a latin word which approximates to 'best' or, if you
> prefer, 'the best which can be seen.' Ignoring the incorrect declination
> of nouns and adjectives, then Optimus Prime can literally be translated to
> mean 'The first of the best, and the best of the first.'

I still find it amusing that "Optimus Prime" could be interpreted as
"Leader One"...

Til All Are One...
Starduster

trek

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

wasn't leader one leader of the good gobots?

trek