PRID Toy Review- Drift

I. R. Caughn

Apr 9, 2015, 4:28:12 PM4/9/15
I unexpectedly found the Warrior class version of Drift at TRU on Tuesday. He feels like the first truly successful PRID toy. At first glance, I was worried he was a heavily remolded Bumblebee, but he's more like a much more refined and reversed version of the same transformation scheme... with 42% more attitude!

It *does* feel a bit samey for three of the first six or so toys in this line to be brighty coloured sports cars (I'm assuming Sideswipe's coming along in the very next wave... already seems odd that he's coming out after a later show addition like Drift). On the other hand, I rather like how it somewhat harkens back to the G1 concept of the S1 Autobots all being a bunch of cars with maybe three or four general transformation schemes between them. And if the vehicle modes continue to brandish the dynamic styling of Bumblebee and Drift, I certainly can't complain *that* much...

I'm also slightly amused that Sideswipe, Drift and Bumblebee handily represent the lower half of the visible colour spectrum, pretty much in sequence. Reminds me of the colour theory discussion that came up in Mr. Vor's recent TFTM review. You throw Strongarm and Grimlock into the mix, and all that's missing are indigo and violet team members to complete the kid-appeal rainbow.

The hip-mounted scabbards are a very nice touch, and swords placed in the lower rung can actually be reached by the left hand! Was *not* expecting that. There *are* pegs to store the swords in sports car mode, as well, but they're a bit less impressive. The weapons only attach at the handles, and you sort of have to cheatsily slant them upwards so that they're not dangling below the doorframes. They're not *really* in danger of scraping against the ground... they just feel like they are.

Based on the packaging art, it looks like the original intention of the design was to go the TF:A route and use the separate chestplate as a mimic of the vehicle mode grill. I guess the animation model is meant to suggest that the grill somehow rotates around to actually *become* the chest. Blue mini-"headlights" should have been painted in between the dark grey cross of the chestplate, but it looks like those paint apps didn't quite make the budget. A bit of a shame, as the blue would be a nice accent for the robot mode, but it didn't jump out at me as lacking until I compared it with the art.

The vehicle mode feels a tad barren. Kinda wish there was an insignia tampograph on the hood, but I guess they're sticking to the Earth mode disguise shtick. As I recall, most of the TF:P toys were like that, too, and it bugged me then just as much. In-story explanations be damned-- vehicles with insignias just feel naked to me.

The Cliffjumper-esque bull horn hood ornament is pretty swaggy... it'd be awesome if that actually turned out to be some sort of tribute to Cliff, but more likely they're just repeating the horned samurai helmet motif (as they also do with the spoiler). I'm so desperate for stronger ties back to TF:P on this show, that I'm probably seeing connections that aren't really there.

The head sculpt just screams "Alpha Trion", almost distractingly so. Given the Fu Manchu 'stache, I'm a bit worried about the vocal performance on the show approaching hate crime territory... hopefully with Mr. Bay not involved, they'll tone down the casual racism (I'm still mystified by that AoE performance-- did Bay actually direct Ken Watanabe to intensify and muddle his accent? 'Cause that's what it sounded like...).

So yeah, it's obviously not in the same league as the masterpiece that was CHURG Drift, but proportionately, the PRID version continues the tradition of Drift toys being unusually spiffy...

J (... that said, I don't know if the bushel of AoE Drifts have already broken the tradition... nor am I in a hurry to find out... it's probably safe to say that the shampoo bottle guy has...)

Zobovor

Apr 9, 2015, 9:29:37 PM4/9/15
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 2:28:12 PM UTC-6, I. R. Caughn wrote:

<snip>

Hey, you! Nice to see you're still around.

> It *does* feel a bit samey for three of the first six or so toys in this line
> to be brighty coloured sports cars

First of all, I like the word "samey." We need more words with the letter "y" tacked to the end.

I am no authority on the matter (I'm not collecting the toy line... but I guess I should buy at least one of them, because otherwise this will be the first Transformers line in history from which I have bought zero toys) but it seems to me like Hasbro is patterning the toys after Power Rangers to some extent. The multicolored team of heroes, the bad guys with animalistic characteristics... I could be way off base, but that's the impression I've gotten.

> Reminds me of the colour theory discussion that came up in Mr. Vor's recent
> TFTM review.

You read that and yet you did not participate? For shame! (I had really thought this entire newsgroup was just reduced to me and Gustavo politely arguing with each other.)

> I'm so desperate for stronger ties back to TF:P on this show, that I'm
> probably seeing connections that aren't really there.

I think Transformers (and this goes for toys as well as cartoon episodes and comic book issues) is like art. It's all subjective, and whatever impression you come away with is the "right" one. If you see a connection, then the connection's there. If you see a woman in that smudge of paint, then it's a woman.

> casual racism (I'm still mystified by that AoE performance-- did Bay actually
> direct Ken Watanabe to intensify and muddle his accent? 'Cause that's what it
> sounded like...).

No kidding. Maybe it was just the speakers in the theater (I don't own Age of Extinction on home video yet) but I had so much trouble deciphering his dialogue.

> J (... that said, I don't know if the bushel of AoE Drifts have already
> broken the tradition... nor am I in a hurry to find out... it's probably safe
> to say that the shampoo bottle guy has...)

You are now required to explain that statement.

Zob (seriously... shampoo bottle guy?!)

Cappeca

Apr 10, 2015, 9:09:07 AM4/10/15
Em quinta-feira, 9 de abril de 2015 22:29:37 UTC-3, Zobovor escreveu:

> > J (... that said, I don't know if the bushel of AoE Drifts have already
> > broken the tradition... nor am I in a hurry to find out... it's probably safe
> > to say that the shampoo bottle guy has...)
>
> You are now required to explain that statement.
>

> Zob (seriously... shampoo bottle guy?!)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/transformers/2014/aoeg15.jpg

Is it about those big non-transforming thin 2-points of articulation paint-app lacking Transformers figures that look like 80's super hero shampoo bottles? I use that term for them around here - the kind of toy you'd take to the bathtub or to the beach. The kind that should cost 1.99 at a knock-off product stand, the kind that should come with an activity book and crayons. What is Hasbro's technical term for that class?

I. R. Caughn

Apr 10, 2015, 11:27:12 PM4/10/15
Yep, that is precisely what I was referring to! I remember you coining the term back when they first appeared, and I just assumed that, by now, the fandom had universally adopted it as the shorthand for whatever the slag those things are supposed to be.

I'm not even sure how common such a toiletry novelty *was* back in the day, but for some reason, my first reaction after seeing those big doofy Drifts and Primes on the shelves was that they surely must conceal shampoo... <shrugs>

I. R. Caughn

Apr 11, 2015, 12:08:39 AM4/11/15
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 9:29:37 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 2:28:12 PM UTC-6, I. R. Caughn wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Hey, you! Nice to see you're still around.

I've been sporadically lurking about for a spell. Whenever a new show hits the airwaves (or should I say stream... tubes?), I get the itch to check in.

> > It *does* feel a bit samey for three of the first six or so toys in this line
> > to be brighty coloured sports cars
>
> I am no authority on the matter (I'm not collecting the toy line... but I guess I should buy at least one of them, because otherwise this will be the first Transformers line in history from which I have bought zero toys) but it seems to me like Hasbro is patterning the toys after Power Rangers to some extent. The multicolored team of heroes, the bad guys with animalistic characteristics... I could be way off base, but that's the impression I've gotten.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot more Sentai-esque design theming going on. I actually don't hate the animalistic Decepticon robot modes as much as I thought I would, now that I'm starting to see them in action. It's hard to put my finger on but there's just something nifty about the way Steeljaw's vehicle mode lines echo the profile of his robot mode wolf head...

... wait, it just dawned on me! He's just like a Battle Beast pull-back chariot! I loved those things! They were completely nonsensical, but for some reason, there's a neuron in the back of my twisted cerebrum that spits out endorphins whenever I see a bipedal Ram (or Decepticon lycanthrope) tooling around in a mechanized version of its own head...

But yeah, cool as it is, it does still bug me on some level that these high-art designs are just being plopped on top of TF:P continuity. They went through so many backstory gymnastics to explain the Predacons... I really can't see how things like Bisk and Hammerstrike make any intuitive sense in that context. Just based on the first four episodes, they really seem to have no interest in even *trying* to explain it, either. Fixit was just flying around in a ship full of crazy crap, apropos of nothing. Sure, it is kinda fun to tune in each week and discover another random chunk of said crap, but I kinda miss rational world-building now and again...

> > Reminds me of the colour theory discussion that came up in Mr. Vor's recent
> > TFTM review.
>
> You read that and yet you did not participate? For shame!

I wanted to, but when I finished reading it, I had less in the way of viable counterpoints and more of just a general appreciation of the review's existence... and then I got distracted by real life for a couple weeks...

Incidentally, for some reason, I remembered there being a whole paragraph devoted to the colour choices for the characters... but when I double-checked it was more like a passing reference in one sentence... it somehow festered in my mind into a full-blown theory in the past month...

> (I had really thought this entire newsgroup was just reduced to me and Gustavo politely arguing with each other.)

Well, it's good to see you're being polite, at least. Almost excessively so-- feel free to start cloning some fake accounts if you wanna stir the pot a little ;-)