Why Earth Needs Another Orion Pax

banzait...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2017, 11:21:21 PM7/25/17
ATT,

So, as you might be aware, there has been a new Orion Pax that hit the virtual shelves. At first, I kinda yawned at the prospect, but then tried to recall just how many previous Orion Pax molds were released. Shockingly, the answer* is really only 1. For a character of such historical importance, I was a bit dumbfounded. In a world where we have at least 100 versions of optimus prime, and at least 100,000,000 versions of bumblebee - how is it that we only have one official version of Orion Pax? Shocking isn't it? (note the asterick, I'm getting to those)

So, here they are:

http://tfu.info/2013/Autobot/GenOrionPax/orionpax.htm

This is a great mold. It captures the pre-prime look in robot mode quite well, and has both a primitive weapon and a blaster. The problem with this toy is that his truck mode looks like it comes out of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and not Cybertron. Outside of that, its very well executed.

Technically*, there is this toy:

http://tfu.info/2005/Cybertron/OrionPax/orionpax.htm

I say technically because it was never released in the US. Also, its pretty much garbage. First, why would Orion Pax be a targetmaster. That technology is a complete anachronism. Secondly, this toy is just terrible. His robot mode looks like a gobot. Somehow, Kup pulls off this mold 100 times better, and actually looks like a decent toy. I really like the vehicle mode, which totally is a believable Cybertron truck mode. Given he will run you a cool $150 if you are infinitely lucky, this toy doesn't even count.

Technically* technically (sic), we have this burning dumpster fire:

http://tfu.info/2014/Autobot/Kre-OOrionPax/orionpax.htm

I'm honestly not sure what to say here on this toy, so I will pass. It probably cost less than 3 bucks, so maybe I am being too harsh.

So, given that list, the pickings are limited. Enter the latest entry into Orion Pax.
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/pictorial-review-of-transformers-tribute-orion-pax-optimus-prime-set/39061/

I got this set on Amazon last week, but it appears it is sold out now. I know people are not crazy about this TR mold for Kup, but I think it works quite well as Orion Pax. It's very simplistic, as I would expect of early transformer technology. His robot mode and head are solid, and he comes with double blasters! It also replicates the great qualities of the Japanese version, which is the Cybertron truck mode. It's a pretty damn solid Orion Pax if you ask me, and I think he easily bests the others described above.

Most everyone who would buy this niche set already has the other prime, so considering that the toy is pricey at $30. But hey, its Orion FRIGGIN PAX!!!!

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

Jul 26, 2017, 12:08:28 AM7/26/17
On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 9:21:21 PM UTC-6, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> I know people are not crazy about this TR mold for Kup, but I think it works
> quite well as Orion Pax.

The toy arguably works even better as Orion Pax than it does as Kup.

I always wanted the eHobby Orion Pax "reissue" but it's so damn expensive. My wife has asked me a few years in a row now, "Do you want just one gift for Christmas, or would you rather have four or five...?" and when I pick the second choice, she crosses Orion Pax's name off my wish list.

Some third party company came up with a great head replacement for the eHobby toy. It looked exactly like the character as he appears in "War Dawn." That's one thing I don't like about the Titans Return version... his head just looks like Optimus forgot to put his mask on.

Zob (I do that sometimes)

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jul 26, 2017, 4:15:46 AM7/26/17
On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 8:21:21 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> http://tfu.info/2013/Autobot/GenOrionPax/orionpax.htm
>
> This is a great mold. It captures the pre-prime look in robot mode quite well, and has both a primitive weapon and a blaster. The problem with this toy is that his truck mode looks like it comes out of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and not Cybertron. Outside of that, its very well executed.

There is something about the legs, and the tiny pinhead, that keep me from loving this toy...

> Technically*, there is this toy:
>
> http://tfu.info/2005/Cybertron/OrionPax/orionpax.htm
>
> I say technically because it was never released in the US. Also, its pretty much garbage. First, why would Orion Pax be a targetmaster. That technology is a complete anachronism.

Ok, you are excited about the Headmaster Orion Pax, but the fact that this one is a Targetmaster bothers you? You could find another gun for him...

There are lots of other problems with this, such as Orion Pax being the oldest looking young'un ever, but your first reason is bunk if you like the headmaster.

Just sayin'

David Connell

Jul 26, 2017, 9:19:29 AM7/26/17
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 12:08:28 AM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:

> Some third party company came up with a great head replacement for the eHobby toy. It looked exactly like the character as he appears in "War Dawn." That's one thing I don't like about the Titans Return version... his head just looks like Optimus forgot to put his mask on.

You could put PMOP's head on him, since it was designed to look like "an" Orion Pax as well. Personally, this is one time they should have gone for "show accurate" and given us the Sunbow look for Orion. On either toy.

So that's two Orion Pax heads in the last year, and neither one looks like Orion. I blame IDW. (But then I blame IDW for anything non-movie related I don't like ;-p )

banzait...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2017, 9:50:19 PM7/26/17
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 3:15:46 AM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 8:21:21 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > http://tfu.info/2013/Autobot/GenOrionPax/orionpax.htm
> >
> > This is a great mold. It captures the pre-prime look in robot mode quite well, and has both a primitive weapon and a blaster. The problem with this toy is that his truck mode looks like it comes out of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and not Cybertron. Outside of that, its very well executed.
>
> There is something about the legs, and the tiny pinhead, that keep me from loving this toy...
>
> > Technically*, there is this toy:
> >
> > http://tfu.info/2005/Cybertron/OrionPax/orionpax.htm
> >
> > I say technically because it was never released in the US. Also, its pretty much garbage. First, why would Orion Pax be a targetmaster. That technology is a complete anachronism.
>
> Ok, you are excited about the Headmaster Orion Pax, but the fact that this one is a Targetmaster bothers you? You could find another gun for him...

OK, you got me. To be honest, I didn't even think about him being a headmaster until you pointed that out. It's such a silly concept, I almost never remove their heads unless physically required to transform them. It didn't make much sense to me in 1988, and it doesn't today. But the flaw in my logic is palpable.

> You could find another gun for him...

Or just leave his head as is and ignore the feature all together...

-Banzaitron

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Jul 27, 2017, 3:15:01 AM7/27/17
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 6:50:19 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 3:15:46 AM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 8:21:21 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > http://tfu.info/2013/Autobot/GenOrionPax/orionpax.htm
> > >
> > > This is a great mold. It captures the pre-prime look in robot mode quite well, and has both a primitive weapon and a blaster. The problem with this toy is that his truck mode looks like it comes out of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and not Cybertron. Outside of that, its very well executed.
> >
> > There is something about the legs, and the tiny pinhead, that keep me from loving this toy...
> >
> > > Technically*, there is this toy:
> > >
> > > http://tfu.info/2005/Cybertron/OrionPax/orionpax.htm
> > >
> > > I say technically because it was never released in the US. Also, its pretty much garbage. First, why would Orion Pax be a targetmaster. That technology is a complete anachronism.
> >
> > Ok, you are excited about the Headmaster Orion Pax, but the fact that this one is a Targetmaster bothers you? You could find another gun for him...
>
> OK, you got me. To be honest, I didn't even think about him being a headmaster until you pointed that out. It's such a silly concept, I almost never remove their heads unless physically required to transform them. It didn't make much sense to me in 1988, and it doesn't today.

The story in Rebirth to explain the Headmasters makes very little sense -- people in armor transforming into heads that the people are somehow sitting in (the armor must expand a lot), connecting to the top of the robot and not becoming sea-sick from the robot walking... preposterous.

The Japanese Headmaster story makes more sense, where the bodies are transectors, and only the heads have sentience.

I could also see a story where the robots took off their own heads, so they could interact with humans and other human scaled aliens.

>But the flaw in my logic is palpable.

Perhaps this Orion Pax represents Optimus Prime having given up the matrix, and returning to civilian life, some time after the headmaster technology was invented. He adopts a form similar to his original form, but with a more Optimussy head.

The Orion Pax we saw in War Dawn didn't even have a gun, did he? Let alone two.

> > You could find another gun for him...
>
> Or just leave his head as is and ignore the feature all together...

I'm pretty sure the head needs to be removed to transform him. Like, 99% sure, but I don't happen to have Kup in front of me.