On the production of energy, and the search there of

banzait...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2017, 11:27:54 PM1/4/17
ATT,

Over the years, there have been several attempts at creating energon cube accessories. I've only found one type that I have been absolutely thrilled with, but can no longer find. Given that this item should be relatively easy to manufacture, I wonder why there are so many poor attempts. I also notice that few energon cube toys stick around for very long. Like they make one production run and then that's it - out of stock.

Here are some of the more memorable toy energon cubes(from worst to best), and my thoughts on them:

- Armac Boxes http://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/containers/boxes/small-purple-amac-boxes/123d?productId=11000241
A lot of people use these, but they are just terrible. One, the closet color you can use is purple. They have lids (what?!). Most importantly, they come from the container store, which is one of the biggest rip off stores in the world. Their entire business model is deftly crafted around screwing their loyal shoppers, but I digress. These aren't even supposed to be energon cubes, so it's hard to pile on the container store.

- Unicron http://toys.tfw2005.com/energy-cubes-5081 (No longer available)
These are another lame attempt at creating something that mimics the G1 cartoon. While the idea probably made a lot of sense on paper, they are just not convincing at all once put together.

- Impossible Toys https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=ITC10001&mode=retail (No longer available) These cubes have a nice light up gimmick, but have a couple problems. One, they need batteries, for each cube! They also have a switch on the bottom, which is not in the original spec for Soundwaves Energon cubes. Also, the light pattern that comes out is poorly distributed. The tops of the cubes are extremely bright, and the bottoms are dark. I think these are one of the worst cube sets

-iGear http://thetoysource.com/products/view/product_id/3130/ (No longer available) These look amazing, and are the correct scale, but again - Why PURPLE???

- Ebay Guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Masterpiece-Scale-Energon-Cubes-G1-Pink-/152118250081?hash=item236af44a61:g:8CUAAOSww9VXhTIo (Still available)
I bought a set of these, and they are quite good. However, they definitely have defects. First, they are just too damn big. I know they are marketed as Masterpiece scale, but they look ridiculous with regular sized transformers. Also, they have slight indentions on their sides, so they are not perfect squares. Also, I found that the cubes have one or two polished sides (which look very G1 accurate), and the rest of the sides are have a slight dull texture to them. I am guessing the polished side is where they were cut once they come out of the mold, but I am speculating. You can also get them in different colors if your into that.

- Energy Cubes http://www.comicsindisguise.com/comicsforum/showthread.php?t=1748&page=3
These are the Roll Royce of toy energon cubes. They are absolute perfect, I don't have a SINGLE complaint about them. Perfect size, very solid, the exact color of energon pink (I measured them with a spectrometer), and ALL six sides are perfectly polished and transparent. I found a pack of these at a botcon years ago and was outraged that the guy wanted $20 for them. I waited until the last day (they didn't sell) and tried to haggle. He didn't budge and I bought them anyway. These are one of my favorite transformers possessions. I regularly search ebay looking for more, but have never found them. They even had a website on the box, but that is long since defunct. I would pay a good chunk of change for another pack of these.

I am sure I missed some other failed attempts? It's just frustrating that in the age of 3-D printers that it's so challenging to find a perfect energon cube.

-Banzaitron

banzait...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 11:55:02 PM1/6/17
Hmm... I guess I now know why all of these energon cube toys are discontinued. Nobody gives a shit about them.

-Banzaitron

Zobovor

Jan 7, 2017, 12:26:15 AM1/7/17
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 9:27:54 PM UTC-7, banzait...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am sure I missed some other failed attempts? It's just frustrating that in
> the age of 3-D printers that it's so challenging to find a perfect energon
> cube.

Not sure I would want one that was 3D printed. The texture would be too grainy.

I've looked into buying energon cubes now and again but they always seem so expensive. Then there is the inevitable problem of scale; whatever size cubes I got, there would be only a limited number of toys that could interact with them.

I'm actually kind of happy with the one that came with Masterpiece Soundwave, since it's the only one that's actually designed to attach to his chest. I admit that the papers you're supposed to print out and slip inside are kind of lame. (Maybe I should fill it up with actual energon.)

Out of the links you posted, I like the ones the "eBay guy" is selling.

What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Transformers-Energon-Cubes-sipping-drinking-flowing-classics-MP-G1-3P-/252700811746?hash=item3ad62461e2:g:0mIAAOSwCGVX8bwi

Zob (if I was going to spend the money on homemade stuff, I'd probably get that pack of multi-colored Kremzeeks...)