Man denies instigating gunfire during drug sting

DJ

Oct 18, 2003, 11:47:46 AM10/18/03
Man denies instigating gunfire during drug sting

By Robert Boyer
Staff writer

Claybrook Adams said he did nothing that would lead a Fayetteville police
officer to shoot him during a drug operation Sept. 24.

"I jumped out with my hands up, begging for somebody to listen to me," said
Adams, who turned 25 today.

Adams was shot in the face while in the parking lot of the Eckerd drugstore at
609 Bingham Drive. He had driven his mother's sport utility vehicle to the
pharmacy with Charlie Daniel Patterson.

Staff photo by Steve Aldridge
Claybrook Adams and his lawyer, Allen W. Rogers, right, talk about Adams'
gunshot wound Friday at the Fayetteville Police Department.

Adams said he had first met Patterson earlier that day at a friend's house.

Adams talked about the shooting Friday in the office of his lawyer, Allen W.
Rogers.

Adams' mother, Mavis Adams, hired Rogers after the shooting.

Adams said he had nothing to do with the alleged drug deal.

Adams, accompanied by Rogers, turned himself in to police Friday afternoon.

He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. A magistrate's warrant said
Adams tried to run undercover officer Terrance Phillips over with his SUV as
the officer tried to arrest him on drug charges.

Adams has never been charged with a drug offense in Cumberland County,
according to court records.

He posted $10,000 bail on the assault charge.

Patterson was charged with seven counts of cocaine possession and trafficking
and one count of carrying a concealed weapon. Police said Patterson had a
handgun and 3.5 grams of cocaine.

Police Chief Tom McCarthy has said Phillips shot Adams because he feared for
his life. McCarthy has said that Adams did not have a gun.

Sgt. Anthony Kelly, a police spokesman, has said Adams was shot after he
refused to get out of the vehicle and the "situation escalated." Police will
not say what specifically led to the shooting.

On the night of the shooting, police Lt. Katherine Bryant said at least two
shots were fired.

Bargaining for a ride

Before the shooting, Adams said he drove to a gas station to buy beer and
cigarettes for a friend, but he realized he was not carrying identification.
Patterson, Adams said, told him he would buy the items if Adams drove him to
the Eckerd's lot to meet a friend.

The two arrived at the drugstore about 6 p.m., Adams said. Patterson got out of
the SUV and walked to his friend's car.

"A big blue van came out of nowhere," said Adams, who lives on the 900 block of
Country Club Drive. "About three or four burly kind of guys jumped out and
started cursing at him."

Adams said other cars obstructed his view, but "it looked like they were
tussling and wrestling with him (Patterson)."

The men did not identify themselves as police officers, Adams said. He said two
of the men came toward him with guns drawn and demanded that he get out of the
car.

Adams said he thought the men were robbers.

"I started thinking to myself, 'Maybe I'm next,' and I decided to get away from
there."

Adams said he started the SUV and began to pull out of the parking space. "Then
I heard a shot," he said.

Adams said the bullet pierced the windshield and struck him in the right
shoulder. On Friday, Adams pulled down his shirt and showed a wound that
appeared to have come from a bullet.

Rogers has the windshield from the SUV in his office. It has what appears to be
a bullet hole on the driver's side.

Adams said he got out of the SUV while it was still moving. The SUV continued
to roll and struck a fence. He said he pleaded with the two officers not to
shoot him. The officer to his right aimed his weapon but did not fire it, Adams
said.

Phillips was standing to his left, about 10 feet away and facing the other
direction, Adams said.

"He turned around and shot me dead in the face," Adams said.

The bullet struck his upper lip and exited through his right cheek, Adams said.
On Friday, he had a wound on his lip and a gauze bandage on his cheek.

Adams said he did not have a weapon and never threatened the officers.

"I didn't do anything," he said.

"I never saw him (Patterson) before that day," Adams said. "I don't even like
guns."

Adams said he was bleeding profusely. He said he lay face down with his arms
outstretched. He waited about 25 minutes before an ambulance arrived, and
officers refused to let him touch his lip.

Previous
Gunshot victim out of hospital (Oct. 11)
Police name detective in drug shooting (Oct. 1)
Warrant reveals shooting details
Chief: Officer involved in shooting feared for life (Sept. 26)
Man shot in drug bust (Sept. 25)

"They told me, 'Just lay there and do what you are told. Don't do anything
stupid, or you will catch another one,'" he said.

He was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, where he was initially listed
in critical condition. He was released from the hospital Oct. 6.

Separate inquiries

Adams said detectives pressured him to change his account of the shooting as he
recovered in the hospital.

"They said my story was a little far-fetched," he said Friday. "They told me my
story wasn't going to fly."

The State Bureau of Investigation and the police Office of Professional
Standards are conducting separate inquiries into the shooting.

The SBI will turn over its findings to District Attorney Ed Grannis, who will
decide whether to charge Phillips.

McCarthy declined to discuss details of the case Friday.

"We're not going to make any comments until the criminal investigation is
over," he said.

McCarthy said Phillips is on paid leave but may be assigned to administrative
duty during the investigation.

McCarthy said he did not know when Phillips would return or when the inquiries
would be completed.

Adams said he plans to sue the Police Department. He is confident he would win.
"I'm telling the truth and representing it right."

Rogers said police have given no reason for the shooting.

"I believe him," Rogers said. "I have not been offered anything that would
contradict what he said. I've sought information for the last three weeks and
have gotten nothing."

Detectives would not allow Adams' mother to visit her son in the hospital until
two days after the shooting, Rogers said. Lawmen began questioning Adams before
Rogers arrived at the hospital, the lawyer said.

Detectives tried to get Adams to say that both shots were fired while Adams was
sitting in the car, Rogers said.

Rogers said he has hired an investigator to look into the shooting. If the
investigation turns up evidence of wrongdoing, Rogers said he probably would
pursue legal action, though he declined to be specific.

Rogers said Phillips may not have meant to shoot Adams.

Adams said he once respected lawmen. He said he now fears them.

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=local&Story=5946367

"The gravest abuse of power - and the gravest threats to personal liberty and
security - are those in which the very individuals to whom we look for the
preservation of law and order turn out to be the predators."