It never fails, does it?

Niklas Karlsson

Mar 3, 2018, 1:06:35 PM3/3/18
Person A (who should be somewhat authoritative on how the system is
used): Please create a cleanup peba job according to these specs on the
FSGC server.

*time passes*

Person B: GAH! Where's my data!?

I'll consider it an autoLART by Person B for using the FSGC server as
long-term storage...

Niklas
--
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat
you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here!

Wojciech Derechowski

Mar 4, 2018, 11:11:05 PM3/4/18
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 18:15:47 +0000, Roger Bell_West wrote:
> On 2018-03-03, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>>Person B: GAH! Where's my data!?
>
> Words pass away
> Like the leaves in autumn wind;
> Your files are no more.

Despite all the sex and violence this poem by dr. h. c.
John Cooper Clarke explains the misfortune perfectly:

Poetry and laughter, how frivolous the sound
Where imminent disaster and misery abound
Les Fleurs du Malcontent lie strangled in the weed
You may never know what I want, but I know what I need.
A victim by profession; blame it on the girl
With the vacant possession of the sedentary world
I believe in miracles, it's written in the creed
Immaculate connection. Give me what I need.

WD
--
Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Alan J. Wylie

Mar 5, 2018, 3:27:07 AM3/5/18
Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> writes:

> Despite all the sex and violence this poem by dr. h. c.
> John Cooper Clarke explains the misfortune perfectly:

<snip>

+1

I've seen the Dr twice now. Once, the strains of "Chicken Town" ringing
out over the quiet suburbs of Cambridge, then recently at a small
village hall in North Yorkshire.

Not sure about his cover of MacArthur Park although it has to be better
than Richard Harris'.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Julian Macassey

Mar 5, 2018, 4:27:07 AM3/5/18
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 08:02:42 +0000, Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:
> Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> writes:
>
>> Despite all the sex and violence this poem by dr. h. c.
>> John Cooper Clarke explains the misfortune perfectly:
>
><snip>
>
> +1
>
> I've seen the Dr twice now. Once, the strains of "Chicken Town" ringing
> out over the quiet suburbs of Cambridge, then recently at a small
> village hall in North Yorkshire.
>
> Not sure about his cover of MacArthur Park although it has to be better
> than Richard Harris'.

The Richard Harris version was interesting, but he was known in the
recording world as one of the "super bitches". Until a few minutes ago, I
had never heard of John Cooper Clarke, so I watched youtube video of his
version of Macarthur Park. It was shot in Macarthur park, which has seen
better days, but when the video was shot was pretty much the "hood", part
of the MS13 gang stomping grounds. But that area is now being gentrified
alas. Yes, I liked his version.

I liked his version of Macarthur Park, but I have to give it to
Donna Summer for the best version to date. I recently watched her do a live
version, she really could sing.

I liked the old Macarthur Park, complete with bodies floating in
the lake.

--
"Their (Microsoft's) products have no spirit to them, sort of no spirit of
enlightenment to them. They are very pedestrian." - Steve Jobs 1995 TV interview

Alan J. Wylie

Mar 5, 2018, 1:58:38 PM3/5/18
ab...@leftmind.net (AdB) writes:

> Wojciech Derechowski posted thus:
>>Despite all the sex and violence this poem by dr. h. c.
>>John Cooper Clarke explains the misfortune perfectly:

> NB: not to be confused with Dr. John Drury Clark. His prose was more
> of reagents and violence.

Thanks for that. I see that /Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid
Rocket Propellants/ will be re-published soon. Also interesting to see
his relationship to Isaac Asimov, Fletcher Pratt, L. Sprague de Camp et
al.

Wojciech Derechowski

Mar 8, 2018, 9:50:12 PM3/8/18
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 13:04:52 +0000, AdB wrote:
> Wojciech Derechowski posted thus:
>>Despite all the sex and violence this poem by dr. h. c.
>>John Cooper Clarke explains the misfortune perfectly:
>
> NB: not to be confused with Dr. John Drury Clark. His prose was more
> of reagents and violence.

Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And another thing...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k

Peter Corlett

Mar 9, 2018, 7:18:50 AM3/9/18
Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@wp.pl> wrote:
[...]
> Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And another thing...
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k

aka the "Cynical Cash-in Phase".

The book was also abridged and serialised in /Book at Bedtime/ back in 2009.
From listening to that, I concluded that it was just hackneyed amateur
scribblings desperately seeking reflected glory by setting it in a unverse
created by somebody with actual talent. I didn't bother buying the book after
that.

The radio dramatisation might be OK if it's "based on" the book in the same way
that Blade Runner was. amazon.de was recommending I preorder the CDs even
before broadcast. Nice try, sunshine. (I've not yet listened to the first
episode.)

On the upside, this might mean that the BBC will dredge up and dramatise
/Salmon of Doubt/ next. In its half-finished raw and unedited state, it's still
miles better than anything Eoin can ever hope to achieve.

Brian Kantor

Mar 9, 2018, 11:21:23 AM3/9/18
> Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@wp.pl> wrote:
> [...]
>> Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And another thing...
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k

I wonder, is this the original radio series of HHGTTG
that was broadcast back in the 80's, or a new version?
The 80's version was actually quite good. I no longer
have a copy (mine was on reel-to-reel tape), but if it
is available on modern media or streaming somewhere,
I'd like to get it.
- Brian

Julian Macassey

Mar 9, 2018, 11:34:05 AM3/9/18
The large martial woman that also sells books carries it as CDs and
DVDs.

Somene at British Telecom once gave me the complete series on
cassette. It was given much use when testing cochlear implants. If I have
to spend my day listening to snatches of speach, it may as well be amusing.

Wojciech Derechowski

Mar 9, 2018, 12:00:09 PM3/9/18
On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 16:21:22 +0000, Brian Kantor wrote:
>> Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@wp.pl> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And another thing...
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k
>
> I wonder, is this the original radio series of HHGTTG
> that was broadcast back in the 80's, or a new version?
> The 80's version was actually quite good.

This is not the original series, cf.:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

> I no longer have a copy (mine was on reel-to-reel tape),
> but if it is available on modern media or streaming
> somewhere, I'd like to get it.

I'd wait for a new box set, if any, from bbcshop.com.

Peter Corlett

Mar 11, 2018, 9:40:21 AM3/11/18
It's clearly intended as a continuation. You remember the 1978 series, and
perhaps the 1980 series, both of which had Douglas Adams directly writing the
scripts, often still doing so astonishingly-close to transmission. They only
loosely correlate to the first two books, often having quite different plots.

The third through fifth books were turned into three more radio series by Dirk
Maggs in the mid-2000s with varying levels of success. Series three is the
worst, perhaps because Maggs was still getting the hang of it, but still pretty
decent. An obvious but well-executed change to the plot is to replace digital
watches with mobile phone ringtones.

All of these have been released by the BBC on CD, which you can buy from the
usual culprits. CD releases tend to end up in the DRM-infested shoddily-encoded
download/streaming services as well if you want to just set fire to your money.
The best-value way is to buy the five series boxset (it's about sixty eurobucks
here), even if you only want the first two series since it costs the same and
throws in a bonus disc of rare material. Well, the absolute best-value is
bittorrent, but that's between you and your sense of ethics.

This sixth series will be released on CD once they've broadcast all the
episodes. It's probably one for the completists.

Alan J. Wylie

Mar 11, 2018, 10:14:52 AM3/11/18
ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:

> All of these have been released by the BBC on CD, which you can buy from the
> usual culprits.

Somewhere in the loft, I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder and a tape of
the original broadcast back in the late 70's.

Do the current BBC releases mention Cnhy Arvy Zvyar Wbuafba bs
Terraoevqtr, Rffrk?

Sn!pe

Mar 11, 2018, 10:32:20 AM3/11/18
Brian Kantor <br...@bkantor.net> wrote:

[...]

> I wonder, is this the original radio series of HHGTTG
> that was broadcast back in the 80's, or a new version?
> The 80's version was actually quite good. I no longer
> have a copy (mine was on reel-to-reel tape), but if it
> is available on modern media or streaming somewhere,
> I'd like to get it.
> - Brian

I may be able to help, feel free to email.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Peter Corlett

Mar 11, 2018, 4:48:40 PM3/11/18
Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:
> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
>> All of these have been released by the BBC on CD, which you can buy from the
>> usual culprits.
> Somewhere in the loft, I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder and a tape of the
> original broadcast back in the late 70's.

Shiny!

> Do the current BBC releases mention Cnhy Arvy Zvyar Wbuafba bs Terraoevqtr,
> Rffrk?

I recall it as being Cnhyn Anapl Zvyyfgbar Wraavatf, but digging out the CD to
check would require me to unpack one of those many boxes I've been putting off
from the last house move. It's only been two years...

IIRC, the first radio broadcast also had Marvin humming some Pink Floyd which
had to be edited out from future broadcasts and the tapes/CDs for rights
reasons. So if the tape is still good after 40 years, you have something that
collectors would very much like to have.

Wojciech Derechowski

Mar 11, 2018, 7:51:25 PM3/11/18
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 20:48:38 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
> I recall it as being Cnhyn Anapl Zvyyfgbar Wraavatf

This woman comes to mind whenever one is thinking of the current
very worst poetry of all. Also Frankie mouse seems strikingly
similar to Senaxvr Oblyr despite the obvious anachronism.

In the same vain is the substitution game where one is trying to
form a political opinion about the current US President by
switching "Reagan" to the relevant name in Young Zaphod Plays It
Safe and seeing if it fits.

mrob...@att.net

Mar 18, 2018, 2:08:38 AM3/18/18
Peter Corlett <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
> Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:
>> Somewhere in the loft, I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder and a tape
>> of the original broadcast back in the late 70's.
>
> IIRC, the first radio broadcast also had Marvin humming some Pink
> Floyd which had to be edited out from future broadcasts and the
> tapes/CDs for rights reasons.

I heard something similar: they would use then-popular records as intro/
outro/interval music during the show, which was fine for broadcast, but
not for selling recordings of the show later.

> So if the tape is still good after 40 years, you have something that
> collectors would very much like to have.

Between that and finding copies of old episodes of Dr. Who in random
locations around the world, it seems to me that the BBC has been
crowdsourcing their archives since before the word "crowdsourcing" was
coined.

Matt Roberds

Wojciech Derechowski

Apr 8, 2018, 10:59:41 PM4/8/18
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 13:40:19 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

> This sixth series will be released on CD once they've broadcast all the
> episodes. It's probably one for the completists.

Apparently the first series starts broadcasing on 16 Apr 2018:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k/broadcasts/upcoming