$DEITY deliver me from clueless help

Mav

Feb 11, 2015, 8:32:37 AM2/11/15
So, the boss has decided I'm his Troubleshooter... he finds trouble and
shoots me at it, and said trouble usually goes away.

We have a new branch office in a city 6 hours away, and said boss decides
he wants to send me up to set up the network for the office. No biggie,
I'm completely capable of doing that...

Except for the on-site(1) 'service' (in the veterinary sense apparently)
that I have to deal with to get anything done. They have outsourced all
their IT swervice to the Philippines, and any ticket is a 24 hour
turnaround. We put in a ticket last week before I came up for an outside,
static IP that we can come in on from outside... I follow up Monday, and
am told "Oh, I can't find the ticket in the system, they must have closed
it." Umm, last I checked, normal procedure is not to close a ticket before
it's finished. So, I request a second ticket on this past Monday. I follow
up on Tuesday, and they can't find that ticket either (same gal put in both)
. This leads me to believe that the ticket was never put in in the first
place. So, third ticket generated, escalated, managers involved. I get a
call on Tuesday afternoon, "We have your static IP set up for you, it's
10.241.229.11." *headdesk repeatedly*

So, I'm still on-site, still waiting for a static outside address that
will most likely never come, and wondering how I've made it 17 years in this
business without becoming a raging alcoholic. And I still have a 6 hour
drive ahead of me.

(1) Said office is rented space in a "We provide you everything you need"
building, from desks to chairs to cute receptionists, to $1300/month for
a 10Mb bandwidth allocation and "No, you may not bring in your own provider,
nor may you run any cables above the suspended ceiling" I didn't make the
selection, but you can be damned sure someone will hear about this.
--
TechMav AKA The Guy In The Funny Black Hat
When the FBI/CIA/NSA/FDA/and other three-letter government agencies come

Mike A

Feb 11, 2015, 10:00:03 AM2/11/15
Mav <tech...@nospam.com> wrote in <mbflkf$g89$1...@tygr-labs.motzarella.org>:
Welcome to our multiverse. At least your HellDesk and NotWork people did
*something*. It was wrong, of course. It is their job to do it wrong: your
adrenalin level is too low, and they know it.

I won't wish you luck, as you will certainly have your share. It may, on rare
occasion, even be good luck, in which case you would be well advised to look
up and try to locate the dropping shoe. There always is a shoe dropping.

Meanwhile, the DuPont motto applies.

--
Judging by this particular thread, many people in this group spend years
taking illogical, pointless orders from morons and having their will to

Mav

Feb 12, 2015, 11:18:00 AM2/12/15
On 2015-02-12, AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> bent the will
of the universe to say:

> That's about the point an SSID of AROUND_THE_SUSPENDED_CEILING shows up.

Thankfully it's a small office. One AP is enough to cover the entire room
(10 guys supposedly). Still haven't heard back, although they did call yesterday
morning before I got pulled back to the main office and asked if I needed
a NAT or a static routable.

You know, the same info I'd given them three times already, now four times.

Screw it, not my monkey, not my circus.

Ino

May 29, 2015, 5:53:15 AM5/29/15
On 2015-02-11, Mav <tech...@nospam.com> wrote:
> (....) So, third ticket generated, escalated, managers involved. I get a
> call on Tuesday afternoon, "We have your static IP set up for you, it's
> 10.241.229.11." *headdesk repeatedly*

Could have been worse, but not by much:
a). you didn't get a 127.0.0.1 address, or
b). you didn't get this one 192.300.415.1

> So, I'm still on-site, still waiting for a static outside address that
> will most likely never come, and wondering how I've made it 17 years in this
> business without becoming a raging alcoholic. And I still have a 6 hour
> drive ahead of me.
>
> (1) Said office is rented space in a "We provide you everything you need"
> building, from desks to chairs to cute receptionists, to $1300/month for
> a 10Mb bandwidth allocation and "No, you may not bring in your own provider,
> nor may you run any cables above the suspended ceiling" I didn't make the
> selection, but you can be damned sure someone will hear about this.

Hmmm... are there any interdiction orders about helping yourself to the
receptionists? Or, for that matter, BYOR?

OK, I guess I'm skirting too close for comfort to TTTSNBN, but hey,
it's been a very fucking long time since I posted in the monastery.

Ino!~ (I'm baaaaaaa-aaack!)

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark