Why do I even *try*!?

Dan Bissonnette

Jul 2, 2015, 6:02:57 PM7/2/15

Scenes from $ork. A salesperson is trying to send a .pdf file from a
website to a customer.

STEP1: He calls the .pdf up on his workstation.
STEP2: He prints it.
STEP3: He scans the document into his WS as a .bmp file.
(aside: He uses his MFC, so the paper comes out one slot and into
another...)
STEP4: He calls for help because he doesn't know how to attach a .bmp
to an email.
STEP5: I'm not sure. The guy who works for me was laughing too hard to
articulate the outcome.

The salesman probably faxed it. Kakk. That'll work.

--
"You're having an internal argument with somebody named
DragonQueen42 - you're never going to win that argument."

The Horny Goat

Jul 2, 2015, 10:46:12 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 18:02:53 -0400, Dan Bissonnette
<dangbis...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scenes from $ork. A salesperson is trying to send a .pdf file from a
>website to a customer.
>
>STEP1: He calls the .pdf up on his workstation.
>STEP2: He prints it.
>STEP3: He scans the document into his WS as a .bmp file.
>(aside: He uses his MFC, so the paper comes out one slot and into
>another...)
>STEP4: He calls for help because he doesn't know how to attach a .bmp
>to an email.
>STEP5: I'm not sure. The guy who works for me was laughing too hard to
>articulate the outcome.
>
>The salesman probably faxed it. Kakk. That'll work.

I once got called because 'my printer won't work' (unfortunately for
me it was a family member).

I got up from my desk, took a quick look at the printer, went to the
paper shelf, grabbed half a ream and inserted it into the printer,
watched the previously paperless printer now print, took a short walk
around the block until I was able to stop laughing hysterically as it
is REALLY REALLY bad for business when you laugh like a deranged
maniac in front of customers.

Did not return to the store till I had composed myself as I did not
want to feel forced to share what had just happened......

Dan Bissonnette

Jul 3, 2015, 5:47:07 PM7/3/15
In article <ektbpa5oa0f4jt2go...@4ax.com>, lcr...@home.ca
says...

> >The salesman probably faxed it. Kakk. That'll work.
>
> I once got called because 'my printer won't work' (unfortunately for
> me it was a family member).
>
> I got up from my desk, took a quick look at the printer, went to the
> paper shelf, grabbed half a ream and inserted it into the printer,
> watched the previously paperless printer now print, took a short walk
> around the block until I was able to stop laughing hysterically as it
> is REALLY REALLY bad for business when you laugh like a deranged
> maniac in front of customers.
>
> Did not return to the store till I had composed myself as I did not
> want to feel forced to share what had just happened......

I got that beat. Sales manager gets pissed because his keyboard is so
full of crumbs, grunge, and cruft from his piglike eating habits that
the keys are sticking.

Solution? A hefty, global dose of WD-40. Psssssssssssst!

The keyboard didn't work at all, of course, but I must say that the key-
action, post-lubrication, was silky-smooth.

WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?

Ino

Jul 4, 2015, 11:44:43 PM7/4/15
On 2015-07-03, Dan Bissonnette <dangbis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <ektbpa5oa0f4jt2go...@4ax.com>, lcr...@home.ca
> says...
>
>> >The salesman probably faxed it. Kakk. That'll work.
>>
>> I once got called because 'my printer won't work' (unfortunately for
>> me it was a family member).
>>
>> I got up from my desk, took a quick look at the printer, went to the
>> paper shelf, grabbed half a ream and inserted it into the printer,
>> watched the previously paperless printer now print, took a short walk
>> around the block until I was able to stop laughing hysterically as it
>> is REALLY REALLY bad for business when you laugh like a deranged
>> maniac in front of customers.
>>
>> Did not return to the store till I had composed myself as I did not
>> want to feel forced to share what had just happened......
>
> I got that beat. Sales manager gets pissed because his keyboard is so
> full of crumbs, grunge, and cruft from his piglike eating habits that
> the keys are sticking.
>
> Solution? A hefty, global dose of WD-40. Psssssssssssst!
>
> The keyboard didn't work at all, of course, but I must say that the key-
> action, post-lubrication, was silky-smooth.

Could have been worse - KY or Astroglide.

> WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?

Yes - restore operational status to vehicle brakes.

Some might say that it's a matter of perspective. I'm of the opinion
that when Dr Darwin is calling, it's not polite to let him wait.

Ino (mmmm, WD40 flavoured condoms!... )

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

Dan Bissonnette

Jul 5, 2015, 10:35:19 AM7/5/15
In article <mna94l$bu9$1...@dont-email.me>, chi...@wziejxwoa.jap says...

> > WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?
>
> Yes - restore operational status to vehicle brakes.

Life's key algorithm:

if($something_must_move eq "stuck"){&wd40};
if($something_must_not_move eq "moving"){&ducttape};

Wojciech Derechowski

Jul 5, 2015, 1:26:38 PM7/5/15
On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 14:35:17 +0000, Dan Bissonnette wrote:
> In article <mna94l$bu9$1...@dont-email.me>, chi...@wziejxwoa.jap says...
>
>> > WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?
>>
>> Yes - restore operational status to vehicle brakes.
>
> Life's key algorithm:
>
> if($something_must_move eq "stuck"){&wd40};
> if($something_must_not_move eq "moving"){&ducttape};

Depends very much on what you have in (getpwuid($<))[0]. Take for
instance "Sullenberger" or "Wrona".

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Ino

Jul 5, 2015, 4:28:18 PM7/5/15
On 2015-07-05, Dan Bissonnette <dangbis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <mna94l$bu9$1...@dont-email.me>, chi...@wziejxwoa.jap says...
>
>> > WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?
>>
>> Yes - restore operational status to vehicle brakes.
>
> Life's key algorithm:
>
> if($something_must_move eq "stuck"){&wd40};
> if($something_must_not_move eq "moving"){&ducttape};

I see that even in life, error-checking is for pussies!

Ino
Message has been deleted

Wojciech Derechowski

Jul 5, 2015, 6:02:30 PM7/5/15
On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:26:53 +0000, Ino wrote:
> On 2015-07-05, Dan Bissonnette <dangbis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In article <mna94l$bu9$1...@dont-email.me>, chi...@wziejxwoa.jap says...

>>> Yes - restore operational status to vehicle brakes.
>>
>> Life's key algorithm:
>>
>> if($something_must_move eq "stuck"){&wd40};
>> if($something_must_not_move eq "moving"){&ducttape};
>
> I see that even in life, error-checking is for pussies!

No. Implementers.

Luke

Jul 7, 2015, 6:10:57 PM7/7/15
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:02:53 -0400, Dan Bissonnette wrote:

> Scenes from $ork. A salesperson is trying to send a .pdf file from a
> website to a customer.
>
> STEP1: He calls the .pdf up on his workstation.
> STEP2: He prints it.
> STEP3: He scans the document into his WS as a .bmp file.
> (aside: He uses his MFC, so the paper comes out one slot and into
> another...)
> STEP4: He calls for help because he doesn't know how to attach a .bmp
> to an email.
> STEP5: I'm not sure. The guy who works for me was laughing too hard to
> articulate the outcome.
>
> The salesman probably faxed it. Kakk. That'll work.

One of the most painful things I've seen is a user accessing Facebook by
typing Google into their browser search bar, then clicking on the result
to go to the Google homepage. Then at Google they searched on
Facebook.com and then clicked on the result to get to the site.

Which is nothing compared to the time I was asked for some help with a
scanner. The user wanted to scan to a .xls file but I explained it could
only be an image file so naturally tried to find out why they were
scanning to .xls. It turned out they'd been given a spreadsheet and told
to cut and paste it into a different order. To achieve this they'd
printed it off, cut it up and had glued it back into the new order so
needed to get it back into the original file.

Julian Macassey

Jul 7, 2015, 6:32:44 PM7/7/15
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 22:10:55 GMT, Luke <lu...@NOtingerson.org.SPAMuk> wrote:

> One of the most painful things I've seen is a user accessing Facebook by
> typing Google into their browser search bar, then clicking on the result
> to go to the Google homepage. Then at Google they searched on
> Facebook.com and then clicked on the result to get to the site.

More than once I have had friend or family menber ask me to help someone
who is having "Internet" read browser problems. I have found that they
navigate by opening goggle or yahooble and then typing in an approximation of
the site they wish to navigate to. For example they log into yahoo mail by
opening a browser and typing yahoo into the google home page.

Today, while trying to get a luser to download and update firefox I
found out why they do this. When they attend "Learn how to use the
Internet" courses, they are taught that this is how you go to URLs.

They are NOT taught about bookmarks, how to set the home page, or God
forbid how to use the address bar to enter a URL.

Ignorance and stupidity is being taught by Wintards.

--
You may not be able to change the world, but that doesn’t mean you have to
stand for any sort of nonsense in your personal life. - Sir Terry Pratchett

Richard Heathfield

Jul 7, 2015, 6:40:20 PM7/7/15
On 07/07/15 23:10, Luke wrote:

<snip>

> Which is nothing compared to the time I was asked for some help with a
> scanner. The user wanted to scan to a .xls file but I explained it could
> only be an image file so naturally tried to find out why they were
> scanning to .xls. It turned out they'd been given a spreadsheet and told
> to cut and paste it into a different order. To achieve this they'd
> printed it off, cut it up and had glued it back into the new order so
> needed to get it back into the original file.

I was given a memory stick containing a bunch of JPEG files, which had
to go into a <cough> PowerPoint presentation, with only 30 minutes
warning before the presentation would be given. Having other stuff to do
in those 30 minutes, I asked a chap who I (wrongly, as it turned out)
believed to be computer-savvy, and asked him to turn the JPEGs into a
PowerPoint. He achieved this in record time, by firing up Windows
Explorer and renaming each filename.jpg to filename.ppt.

Needless to say, it didn't quite have the desired effect.

(And yes, this is exactly the same reason that casting is almost always
a bad idea.)

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

hymie!

Jul 8, 2015, 9:01:26 AM7/8/15
Luke <lu...@NOtingerson.org.SPAMuk>, who said:
>On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:02:53 -0400, Dan Bissonnette wrote:
>
>> STEP2: He prints it.
>> STEP3: He scans the document into his WS as a .bmp file.
>> STEP4: He calls for help because he doesn't know how to attach a .bmp
>> to an email.

[...]

>typing Google into their browser search bar, then clicking on the result
>to go to the Google homepage. Then at Google they searched on
>Facebook.com and then clicked on the result to get to the site.

[...]

>printed it off, cut it up and had glued it back into the new order so
>needed to get it back into the original file.

Ah, yes. While it was over 20 years ago, I had a co-worker who would
use the space bar to try to center text in MS Word, print the document,
measure (with a desk ruler) the two sides, and use the space and/or
backspace button to try again.

I think I single-handedly shortened the entire process (not just the
above, but the whole process of creating that particular document) by
about 2 hours, but most of my co-workers found my way [1] "too
complicated".

At this same job, while all of the bosses had snazzy new computers,
those of us who did actual work had to run MS Word under Windows 3.1 on
a 486. Spell check took about 40 seconds to peruse its dictionary to
guess that "teh" was probably supposed to be "the", so I turned off the
automatic try-to-look-up-the-word part. I forgot to turn it back on
once. [2] <Johnny Dangerously>Once.</Johnny Dangerously>

[1] Among other things, I used MS Word's "tables".
[2] I got written up for that.

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hy...@lactose.homelinux.net

Ino

Jul 9, 2015, 5:52:50 AM7/9/15
On 2015-07-07, Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 22:10:55 GMT, Luke <lu...@NOtingerson.org.SPAMuk> wrote:
>>
>> One of the most painful things I've seen is a user accessing Facebook by
>> typing Google into their browser search bar, then clicking on the result
>> to go to the Google homepage. Then at Google they searched on
>> Facebook.com and then clicked on the result to get to the site.
>
> More than once I have had friend or family menber ask me to help someone
> who is having "Internet" read browser problems. I have found that they
> navigate by opening goggle or yahooble and then typing in an approximation of
> the site they wish to navigate to. For example they log into yahoo mail by
> opening a browser and typing yahoo into the google home page.
>
> Today, while trying to get a luser to download and update firefox I
> found out why they do this. When they attend "Learn how to use the
> Internet" courses, they are taught that this is how you go to URLs.
>
> They are NOT taught about bookmarks, how to set the home page, or God
> forbid how to use the address bar to enter a URL.
>
> Ignorance and stupidity is being taught by Wintards.

Which only goes to confirm my suspicion that Skynet won't need to be all this
snazzy, over-arching, all powerful, super-intelligent evil entity. All it
needs to be is slightly less retarded than the overwhelming majority of our
lusers... And then it discovers porn and it will be all for nought.

TimC

Jul 9, 2015, 7:18:00 AM7/9/15
On 2015-07-08, hymie! (aka Bruce)
> In our last episode, the evil Dr. Lacto had captured our hero,
> Luke <lu...@NOtingerson.org.SPAMuk>, who said:
>>printed it off, cut it up and had glued it back into the new order so
>>needed to get it back into the original file.
>
> Ah, yes. While it was over 20 years ago, I had a co-worker who would
> use the space bar to try to center text in MS Word, print the document,
> measure (with a desk ruler) the two sides, and use the space and/or
> backspace button to try again.

I hope it at least shortened the process by doing a binary search on
the number of spaces to add/remove.

--
Thus sprach TimC
"Here, have a lutefisk. ><>" - Lupus Yonderboy

Ino

Jul 9, 2015, 9:23:38 AM7/9/15
s/add\/remove/search\/replace/ with spaces from different fonts and
then vary the size of the font when not satisfied with the result.

Ino (... copy con program.com)

Dan Bissonnette

Jul 10, 2015, 4:47:23 PM7/10/15
In article <slrnmpoksb...@adeed.tele.com>, jul...@tele.com
says...
> Today, while trying to get a luser to download and update firefox

Why would you do this?
Message has been deleted

Ivan D. Reid

Jul 10, 2015, 7:06:46 PM7/10/15
On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 21:48:43 +0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
<roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org>
wrote in <20150705224819....@firedrake.org>:
> On 2015-07-05, Dan Bissonnette wrote:
>>Life's key algorithm:

>>if($something_must_move eq "stuck"){&wd40};
>>if($something_must_not_move eq "moving"){&ducttape};

> In order to simplify this process, we have introduced new WD-40 Tape.

Dunno 'bout that, but I have a WD40 "pen" -- looks like a
whiteboard marker, but dispenses WD40 rather than ink. No idea if they're
widely available, the only time I've seen them was when Aldi had them on
special -- once.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Mans Nilsson

Jul 12, 2015, 2:03:34 AM7/12/15
Den 2015-07-03 skrev Dan Bissonnette <dangbis...@gmail.com>:

> WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?

Keep things lubricated. One needs to relubricate with proper gooey
stuff like bearing grease or oil of functionality of $MACHINERY shall
continue. Also, using it for electronics is discouraged. Usually just
makes things worse. You can learn a lot from hanging out with people
who operate heavy construction equipment for a living.

Next project: find cheap but quality wheel bearing for the tractor
(Volvo V70, but they are called tractors by insecure people who own
other car makes, since Volvo in 1950 bought the Bolinder-Munktell works.
BM made tractors, harvesters, diesel engines, etc and became an
integral part of the company. They are now Volvo CE, although the tractor
know-how was sold to Valmet of Finland in 1979. My car, technically,
is a Ford, since Ford 1999 bought the car manufacturing part from Volvo
and now have sold it off to Geely in China. The vehicle still was built
in Gothenburg and by all means is a much better car than both EU Fords
and US Fords, which are oil-consuming stinking crap vehicles i despise
of -- just imagine ending up in the blue-grey smoke cloud from a petrol
Taunus or Granada on the Autobahn)

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668

David Scheidt

Jul 12, 2015, 11:12:59 AM7/12/15
Mans Nilsson <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:
:Den 2015-07-03 skrev Dan Bissonnette <dangbis...@gmail.com>:

:> WD-40! Is there anything it cannot do!?!?

:Keep things lubricated. One needs to relubricate with proper gooey

wd-40 is basically kerosene and light oil. It's a perfectly good
lubricant for a small number of things, and a poor one for many
others, and, like duck tape, the wrong tool for every job.

:Next project: find cheap but quality wheel bearing for the tractor
:(Volvo V70, but they are called tractors by insecure people who own
:other car makes, since Volvo in 1950 bought the Bolinder-Munktell works.

And by their insecure owners, apparently.

:BM made tractors, harvesters, diesel engines, etc and became an
:integral part of the company. They are now Volvo CE, although the tractor
:know-how was sold to Valmet of Finland in 1979. My car, technically,
:is a Ford, since Ford 1999 bought the car manufacturing part from Volvo
:and now have sold it off to Geely in China. The vehicle still was built
:in Gothenburg and by all means is a much better car than both EU Fords
:and US Fords, which are oil-consuming stinking crap vehicles i despise
:of -- just imagine ending up in the blue-grey smoke cloud from a petrol
:Taunus or Granada on the Autobahn)

Consider moving to the 21st century. The cars are better.

--
sig 47

Julian Macassey

Jul 12, 2015, 1:51:42 PM7/12/15
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:12:51 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
<dsch...@panix.com> wrote:
> Mans Nilsson <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:
>
> wd-40 is basically kerosene and light oil. It's a perfectly good
> lubricant for a small number of things, and a poor one for many
> others, and, like duck tape, the wrong tool for every job.

I tell people that WD-40 is expensive kerosine, but they
don't blieve me. Kerosine is good as a penetrating oil, to loosen
stuck parts, as a local de-greaser and as a quick and dirty lube.
So is WD-40, and it comes in a convenient spray can.

>:The vehicle still was built
>:in Gothenburg and by all means is a much better car than both EU Fords
>:and US Fords, which are oil-consuming stinking crap vehicles i despise
>:of -- just imagine ending up in the blue-grey smoke cloud from a petrol
>:Taunus or Granada on the Autobahn)
>
> Consider moving to the 21st century. The cars are better.

When my 20th Century car dies, I will need to replace it
with a 21st Century one.

--
“Advice is a cheap commodity some seek it from me about crime — I know only one
thing for sure — If you want to make crime pay — ‘Go to Law School.’ ”

Mans Nilsson

Jul 14, 2015, 8:04:45 AM7/14/15
Den 2015-07-12 skrev David Scheidt <dsch...@panix.com>:

>:Next project: find cheap but quality wheel bearing for the tractor
>:(Volvo V70, but they are called tractors by insecure people who own
>:other car makes, since Volvo in 1950 bought the Bolinder-Munktell works.
>
> And by their insecure owners, apparently.

If I'm using the term, it is mine and those others can't use it the
same way. Besides, ASS, AHS. And the software side is, while reasonably
predictable under normal operating conditions, pretty ugly once you start
having errors. A broken clock line between two nodes on the PNA-OHF
will light up a veritable christmas tree of errors from all over the
vehicle. As I learned the other week. The workshop found and fixed the
error[0]. I'm a bit impressed with that, in these box-swapping days.

> Consider moving to the 21st century. The cars are better.

The cars, yes. The Forden, not so much.

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668
I've got an IDEA!! Why don't I STARE at you so HARD, you forget your
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!

[0] What happens with all proprietary software in cars once car makers
go bellyup and Jvaqbjf KC 32-bit freivpr cnpx 2 or whatever is required
(exactly!) to run the POS crapware needed to fix the car no longer
boots, well, that is a question I'm not too keen on discovering default
answers for.

Maarten Wiltink

Jul 15, 2015, 4:27:30 AM7/15/15
"Mans Nilsson" <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote in message
[...]
> [0] What happens with all proprietary software in cars once car makers
> go bellyup and Jvaqbjf KC 32-bit freivpr cnpx 2 or whatever is required
> (exactly!) to run the POS crapware needed to fix the car no longer
> boots, well, that is a question I'm not too keen on discovering default
> answers for.

There are at least three possible answers that I can see.

1. You give it what it wants. VMs happen.
2. You lie to it. 'Emulation' happens.
3. You can't fix it and buy a new car. The 21st century happens.

The goat is obviously behind door number three.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Mans Nilsson

Jul 15, 2015, 6:37:06 AM7/15/15
Den 2015-07-15 skrev Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net>:

<snip>

> 3. You can't fix it and buy a new car. The 21st century happens.
>
> The goat is obviously behind door number three.

Yeah, I have this silly idea that the Volvo ideally would be the newest
dino-powered vehicle I'll ever own. (leaving the field(sic) open for
buying hobby projects like a 1962 Ferguson 35 or similar mechanical
objects of desire.. )

Electrics seem like a good idea, but the prices are insane.
--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668
Sometime in 1993 NANCY SINATRA will lead a BLOODLESS COUP on GUAM!!

Shmuel Metz

Jul 15, 2015, 6:39:20 AM7/15/15
In <mnhkdu$7os$1...@dont-email.me>, on 07/07/2015
at 11:40 PM, Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> said:

>(And yes, this is exactly the same reason that casting is almost
>always a bad idea.)

ObIgnoranceOfALGOL68ConsideredHarmful ITYM this is why it was a bad
idea in the language that dare not speak its name to call an operation
that was *not* casting "casting". Aliasing is not casting.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> ISO position
Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.

Message has been deleted

Ino

Jul 15, 2015, 5:41:07 PM7/15/15
On 2015-07-15, Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> (...)
> 2. You lie to it. 'Emulation' happens.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

First parsed that as "You lie with it" and I thought "that gives a new
meaning to "pre-loved goods".

Ino

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 15, 2015, 9:56:43 PM7/15/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:43:06 +0000
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:

> I sometimes wonder what the classic cars (or bikes) of today are
> going to be, and how much of a complete pain in the arse it'll be
> to keep them running a couple of decades down the line.

Anything very desirable now. So your top end low volume sports
machines will still be hanging about.

Few if any utility things, there is no real F100 or Landy equivalent
anymore.

I go through this with motorcycles. I can still get bits for the
Noggie as it comes up to 10 years and 100,000km but no idea for how
long. Bits from wreckers will turn up for a while, and there are
aftermarket fuel maps and things you put in the fuel circuits but not
for the ignition and charging.

I suspect my Italian semi-exotica will survive longer than its
Japanese rivals because it can piggyback off said high end sports kit.
A lot of the bits that Ducati use for their fancy 8 valves are common
to my plodding old tourer... Thank the incestuous Italian motorcycle
industry.

I am stockpiling the hard bits: plastics and headlights. The
Noggie's great grandmother, my 1973 850 GT (the Noggie is a 1200GT)
is running an aftermarket 7" insert but last time I went to find
one they are getting bloody hard to get as Holden/Ford haven't used
them in 30 years. I have to rejig the fusing in her too as it's
impossible to get the ones she uses, you used to trip over them
everywhere.

I think in 30 years you will still see 1930s, 1950s, 1970s and even
1980s bikes, you won't see any made after about 2005 as a running
ridden machine.

Zebee

Koos van den Hout

Jul 16, 2015, 5:08:50 AM7/16/15
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote in <ajth7c-...@rubberchicken.nocrap>:
> I sometimes wonder what the classic cars (or bikes) of today are
> going to be, and how much of a complete pain in the arse it'll be
> to keep them running a couple of decades down the line.

Those classics won't start because the internal computer really wants
you to get regular maintainance NOW and the dealership can't find that
old stuff anymore and the underground forum collecting the old software
and workarounds for it was sued out of existence already and the license
for the car says you can't complain about this.

The combined forces of AHS and ASS.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263

Alexander Schreiber

Jul 16, 2015, 2:10:05 PM7/16/15
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:12:51 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
><dsch...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Mans Nilsson <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:
>>
>> wd-40 is basically kerosene and light oil. It's a perfectly good
>> lubricant for a small number of things, and a poor one for many
>> others, and, like duck tape, the wrong tool for every job.
>
> I tell people that WD-40 is expensive kerosine, but they
> don't blieve me. Kerosine is good as a penetrating oil, to loosen
> stuck parts, as a local de-greaser and as a quick and dirty lube.
> So is WD-40, and it comes in a convenient spray can.

And after most of it is evaporated, the sticky residue is pretty good at
catching dust. Which is another reason not to use it as a lubricant.
Remember what the name WD-40 actually _stands_ for.

Kind regards,
Alex.
looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

David Scheidt

Jul 16, 2015, 3:10:24 PM7/16/15
Alexander Schreiber <a...@usenet.thangorodrim.de> wrote:
:Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
:>
:> I tell people that WD-40 is expensive kerosine, but they
:> don't blieve me. Kerosine is good as a penetrating oil, to loosen
:> stuck parts, as a local de-greaser and as a quick and dirty lube.
:> So is WD-40, and it comes in a convenient spray can.

:And after most of it is evaporated, the sticky residue is pretty good at
:catching dust. Which is another reason not to use it as a lubricant.

The sticky residue is oil.

--
sig 93

mrob...@att.net

Jul 21, 2015, 12:30:28 AM7/21/15
Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to rejig the fusing in her too as it's impossible to get the
> ones she uses, you used to trip over them everywhere.

Are they the ones with a cylindrical plastic body, exposed element, and
pointy ends? (Known in the US as GBC, or VW fuses.) Or something
weirder than that?

> I think in 30 years you will still see 1930s, 1950s, 1970s and even
> 1980s bikes, you won't see any made after about 2005 as a running
> ridden machine.

I recently learned that for some late-model General Motors cars, if you
buy a replacement computer, it comes from the warehouse with no
firmware; you must connect the computer to a PC using a particular
scan tool, and then download the firmware from a GM website into the
computer. Oh, and it's a paysite.

Matt Roberds

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 21, 2015, 12:42:45 AM7/21/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 04:28:57 +0000 (UTC)
mrob...@att.net <mrob...@att.net> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to rejig the fusing in her too as it's impossible to get the
>> ones she uses, you used to trip over them everywhere.
>
> Are they the ones with a cylindrical plastic body, exposed element, and
> pointy ends? (Known in the US as GBC, or VW fuses.) Or something
> weirder than that?

We call them "ceramic" for some reason, but yes those. The even older
glass ones are for some reason easier to find.

>> I think in 30 years you will still see 1930s, 1950s, 1970s and even
>> 1980s bikes, you won't see any made after about 2005 as a running
>> ridden machine.
>
> I recently learned that for some late-model General Motors cars, if you
> buy a replacement computer, it comes from the warehouse with no
> firmware; you must connect the computer to a PC using a particular
> scan tool, and then download the firmware from a GM website into the
> computer. Oh, and it's a paysite.

Oh joy.

Ah well 3 out of 4 motorcycles in my custody have no computers of any
kind (and only one of those has enough electrics to have indicators....) so I
should be OK for a while.

Zebee

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 21, 2015, 4:25:49 AM7/21/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:38:21 +0200
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Oh joy.
>>
>> Ah well 3 out of 4 motorcycles in my custody have no computers of any
>> kind (and only one of those has enough electrics to have indicators....) so I
>> should be OK for a while.
>>
> Speaking of motorcycles.
>
> With the help of TLM the big Quota is back in riding condition (ok, it
> still sweats a little oil; I've already planned to fix
> that). Unfortunately, it appears that the hiccups at low-mid revs that
> disappear when I put a little pressure on the throttle are an issue in
> the electronic ignition. Yay.

Are you sure it isn't the stepladder interfering with the cables?

I'm told that some people have unshipped it and rely on nearby walls
and helpful passers by to get on the bike without it.

Depending on age there are possible replacements. There's a bod in Oz
who does electronic ignition replacements for Guzzis. Mostly Lemons
and the odd Cali but I'm sure they'll work for a Quota.

> On the gripping hand, I warmed it up to change the transmission oil by
> running along the IJsselmeerdijk from Monnickendam to
> Schellingwoude[1]. Lovely road; lousy patchwork asphalt, but that is
> where that long soft suspension of a Quota really shines.

THe modern descendent, the Stelvio, is clearly a proper chip off the
old block. Although not quite stepladder worthy. One of the Oz mags
wrote the demo off, apparently they found it jumped well and basically
motocrossed it till it broke...

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 21, 2015, 4:28:38 AM7/21/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:26:09 +0000
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
> Speaking of, I'm about to bolt a DRZ frontend onto the GS. Modern
> right-side-up cartridge suspension, mmm. Can't wait to try that on
> some of the local less-than-smooth (cobblestone) roads.
>
> (Then again, I just came back from the Ardennes. If the sign next
> to the road says "route degradee", they really mean it.)

Hah! You get signs?

Should try the Northern Rivers some time. The Kyogle road they don't
bother with a pothole till it's eaten a motorcycle. On the Stoney
Creek road they don't bother until its eaten a Volkswagen!

(Whereas on the New England they put up "rough surface" signs if the
billard ball rolls more than 5mm off true)

Zebee
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

David Scheidt

Jul 21, 2015, 8:34:50 AM7/21/15
Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
:In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 04:28:57 +0000 (UTC)
:mrob...@att.net <mrob...@att.net> wrote:
:> Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
:>> I have to rejig the fusing in her too as it's impossible to get the
:>> ones she uses, you used to trip over them everywhere.
:>
:> Are they the ones with a cylindrical plastic body, exposed element, and
:> pointy ends? (Known in the US as GBC, or VW fuses.) Or something
:> weirder than that?

:We call them "ceramic" for some reason, but yes those. The even older
:glass ones are for some reason easier to find.

They used to have ceramic bodies. A mercedes I uesd to have came with
a singe spare ceramic body, and a collection of replacement wires.
Annoyingly, the fuses are not a direct match for SFE fuses, ATO, or
lucas fuses. (Different time delay properties, so a regular fuse
blows early.) They're still readily available in the US, but not at
the drug store. Somebody makes a version that uses copper fuse
strips, and not zinc alloy, which solves the galvanic corroision
problem they sometimes have.

--
sig 55

John F. Eldredge

Jul 21, 2015, 12:30:56 PM7/21/15
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:16:18 +0200, Gallian wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:38:21 +0200 Gallian
>> <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>>> Speaking of motorcycles.
>>>
>>> With the help of TLM the big Quota is back in riding condition (ok, it
>>> still sweats a little oil; I've already planned to fix that).
>>> Unfortunately, it appears that the hiccups at low-mid revs that
>>> disappear when I put a little pressure on the throttle are an issue in
>>> the electronic ignition. Yay.
>>
>> Are you sure it isn't the stepladder interfering with the cables?
>>
> Nah. That seat height is really not bothering me; I easily get one foot
> flat on the ground on stops, and even both feet on the balls of the
> feet.

Speaking of vehicles that require a ladder to mount... the tyrannosaur
art bike. <http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/pdx/5072609529.html>

Ivan D. Reid

Jul 21, 2015, 3:04:04 PM7/21/15
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:28:37 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com>
wrote in <slrnmqs0lk....@gmail.com>:
> In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:26:09 +0000
> Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
>> (Then again, I just came back from the Ardennes. If the sign next
>> to the road says "route degradee", they really mean it.)

> Hah! You get signs?

> Should try the Northern Rivers some time. The Kyogle road they don't
> bother with a pothole till it's eaten a motorcycle. On the Stoney
> Creek road they don't bother until its eaten a Volkswagen!

Oi, don't dis my birthplace (tho' it's hard to find "Wongavale"
on a map these days).

> (Whereas on the New England they put up "rough surface" signs if the
> billard ball rolls more than 5mm off true)

OTOH, I was put in hospital by potholes on the duplication[2] of
the Gold Coast Highway on December 13th, 1970 -- which had been opened to
traffic on December 11th! I later heard that cars had also crashed that
night, so it wasn't just lightweight Suzuki A100s. There were also later
rumours of sub-standard materials and workmanship, and a suspicion that
a large sum of money had been "diverted".

[2] For non-Strine speakers, that's when they build a two-lane highway
next to another two-lane blacktop and then turn them into the opposite
carriageways of a four-lane divided highway. The new bit is the duplication.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
GSX600F, RG250WD "You Porsche. Me pass!" DoD #484 JKLO#003, 005
WP7# 3000 LC Unit #2368 (tinlc) UKMC#00009 BOTAFOT#16 UKRMMA#7 (Hon)

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 21, 2015, 4:25:43 PM7/21/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:02:32 +0000 (UTC)
Ivan D. Reid <Ivan...@ivan.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> OTOH, I was put in hospital by potholes on the duplication[2] of
> the Gold Coast Highway on December 13th, 1970 -- which had been opened to
> traffic on December 11th! I later heard that cars had also crashed that
> night, so it wasn't just lightweight Suzuki A100s. There were also later
> rumours of sub-standard materials and workmanship, and a suspicion that
> a large sum of money had been "diverted".

Queensland in the 1970s? Suspicion? The main suspicion would be how
big a percentage.

These days the only reason they aren't still getting money in brown
paper bags left on desks is that you can't find brown paper bags
anymore.

(And the current lot aren't competent enough to do corruption properly
unlike Joh who was very good at it indeed)

Zebee

mrob...@att.net

Jul 22, 2015, 2:47:22 AM7/22/15
Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 04:28:57 +0000 (UTC)
> mrob...@att.net <mrob...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Are they the ones with a cylindrical plastic body, exposed element,
>> and pointy ends?
>
> We call them "ceramic" for some reason, but yes those.

I think the bodies originally were ceramic; I might even have a few like
that. The ones you get now are plastic. 8 A (white) and 16 A (red) are
probably the most common here; every air-cooled VW used a few of those.
25 A (blue) are relatively common; I think Mercedes used to use them.
I have held a 5 A in my hand, and I am told that some non-VW German cars
used them, but I don't know where to get them in quantity.

The Buss or Littelfuse assortment that is usually available at the
generic car parts store usually has at least one 8 A, 16 A, and 25 A in
it. I don't think you can get these assortments at the general store
anymore, though. Any air-cooled VW specialist (getting rarer) will have
boxes and boxes of the 8 A and 16 A ones.

Many years ago, I bought a Buss (I think) assortment that had *glass*
fuses with pointy metal end caps to fit those holders. I had never seen
them before and I haven't seen them since.

> The even older glass ones are for some reason easier to find.

Those are still pretty well available at the car parts store. Most US
cars through roughly the mid-1970s used that style. They are also
popular as the ones that go in the end of a cigarette lighter plug for
a cell phone charger, or a 12 V DC - 120 V AC inveter, or similar.

> Ah well 3 out of 4 motorcycles in my custody have no computers of any
> kind (and only one of those has enough electrics to have
> indicators....) so I should be OK for a while.

At least until onboard GPS becomes mandatory, to provide a permanent
record of your past travels^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wensure "fairness" in road
tax.

Matt Roberds

TimC

Jul 22, 2015, 4:47:12 AM7/22/15
On 2015-07-21, Ivan D. Reid (aka Bruce)
> OTOH, I was put in hospital by potholes on the duplication[2] of
> the Gold Coast Highway on December 13th, 1970 -- which had been opened to
> traffic on December 11th! I later heard that cars had also crashed that
> night, so it wasn't just lightweight Suzuki A100s. There were also later
> rumours of sub-standard materials and workmanship, and a suspicion that
> a large sum of money had been "diverted".

In Sir Joh's time? No! You don't say? Corruption? I don't believe it.

--
Thus sprach TimC
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major

Lawns 'R' Us

Jul 22, 2015, 7:41:06 AM7/22/15
On 2015-07-22, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2015-07-22, TimC wrote:
>>In Sir Joh's time? No! You don't say? Corruption? I don't believe it.
>
> After all, he kept the porn out of Queensland.

Only because the porn industry wouldn't pay his demanded bribes...

Ino

Jul 22, 2015, 5:32:17 PM7/22/15
On 2015-07-22, TimC <tcon...@rather.puzzling.no-spam-accepted-here.org> wrote:
> On 2015-07-21, Ivan D. Reid (aka Bruce)
>> OTOH, I was put in hospital by potholes on the duplication[2] of
>> the Gold Coast Highway on December 13th, 1970 -- which had been opened to
>> traffic on December 11th! I later heard that cars had also crashed that
>> night, so it wasn't just lightweight Suzuki A100s. There were also later
>> rumours of sub-standard materials and workmanship, and a suspicion that
>> a large sum of money had been "diverted".
>
> In Sir Joh's time? No! You don't say? Corruption? I don't believe it.

Now, don't you worry about that!

Ino

Jul 22, 2015, 5:53:06 PM7/22/15
On 2015-07-21, Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:26:09 +0000
> Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
>> Speaking of, I'm about to bolt a DRZ frontend onto the GS. Modern
>> right-side-up cartridge suspension, mmm. Can't wait to try that on
>> some of the local less-than-smooth (cobblestone) roads.
>>
>> (Then again, I just came back from the Ardennes. If the sign next
>> to the road says "route degradee", they really mean it.)
>
> Hah! You get signs?
>
> Should try the Northern Rivers some time. The Kyogle road they don't
> bother with a pothole till it's eaten a motorcycle. On the Stoney
> Creek road they don't bother until its eaten a Volkswagen!

Aaah - my favourite! I had the dubious honour of driving to Lismore
more than a few times, and had to take the backway from Woodburn. Well,
I kid you not, that road's barely suitable for a good 4WD and will
give your suspension the workout of its lifetime! On the bright side,
if you ever had kidney stones, they will turn to nano-particles after
a trip on that road.

I swear, the freshly ploughed paddocks along the road looked like a far
better option than the road itself. And you know they really don't
give a flying fuck about it when you see the weed-sprayers doing the
road surface, because there's some insanely hardy grass growing in
the cracks, despite all the heavy traffic that road's subjected to!

Oh, and the "rough surface" sign is about 50km later. At which point
you start to worry and you wonder if you need to drop it in low-range,
get the lockers on and break out the winch for rock climbing.

> (Whereas on the New England they put up "rough surface" signs if the
> billard ball rolls more than 5mm off true)

Gotta love the train of tought that goes with putting up those signs!
Over here, in the Lexus suburb, we've got herds of deer roaming through.
You'd think that the council would do something more useful about it,
but no, they put up 3 pissy little signs "deer in the headlights" and
that's it - their job is done!

Ivan D. Reid

Jul 22, 2015, 8:09:30 PM7/22/15
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:30:44 +0000 (UTC), Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap>
wrote in <mop223$fb$1...@dont-email.me>:
> On 2015-07-22, TimC <tcon...@rather.puzzling.no-spam-accepted-here.org>
wrote:
>> On 2015-07-21, Ivan D. Reid (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> OTOH, I was put in hospital by potholes on the duplication[2] of
>>> the Gold Coast Highway on December 13th, 1970 -- which had been opened to
>>> traffic on December 11th! I later heard that cars had also crashed that
>>> night, so it wasn't just lightweight Suzuki A100s. There were also later
>>> rumours of sub-standard materials and workmanship, and a suspicion that
>>> a large sum of money had been "diverted".

>> In Sir Joh's time? No! You don't say? Corruption? I don't believe it.

> Now, don't you worry about that!

+1 :-)

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Ivan D. Reid

Jul 22, 2015, 8:24:04 PM7/22/15
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:51:34 +0000 (UTC), Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap>
wrote in <mop396$5a1$1...@dont-email.me>:

> Over here, in the Lexus suburb, we've got herds of deer roaming through.

Armidale? I remember the tale, again in the 70s, of the UNE
groundstaff finding, one morning, a dead deer in the on-campus enclosure
of said animals. Panic ensued, until someone thought to do a census.
Turned out some jokers had shot a feral[1] deer and then dumped it over the
fence into the sanctuary.

[1] For those unfamiliar with Australian fauna, deer are not native to the
land. Nor are rabbits, sparrows, lantana, prickly pear, cane toads,
domestic cats and Europeans.

Richard Bos

Jul 23, 2015, 3:46:30 AM7/23/15
Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap> wrote:

> On 2015-07-15, Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> > (...)
> > 2. You lie to it. 'Emulation' happens.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> First parsed that as "You lie with it" and I thought "that gives a new
> meaning to "pre-loved goods".

As in, <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEM4JYFPfw>?

Richard

Ino

Jul 23, 2015, 5:02:17 AM7/23/15
On 2015-07-23, Ivan D. Reid <Ivan...@ivan.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:51:34 +0000 (UTC), Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap>
> wrote in <mop396$5a1$1...@dont-email.me>:
>
>> Over here, in the Lexus suburb, we've got herds of deer roaming through.
>
> Armidale? (...)

Nah - Pullenvale[1]. For a long while I thought they'd be about to chase
me out of the suburb because I am driving a Camry.[2]

I guess I shouldn't complain too much - they could be all driving Audi
and that in itself is whole different level of hell.

[1] which, by some odd coincidence, in ${OTHER_LANGUAGE} translates literally
to "Dicks in the valley". In all honesty - it's a nice place, pity it's
inhabited by self-centered pricks.

[2] which technically *is* a Lexus.

Peter H. Coffin

Jul 23, 2015, 9:25:05 AM7/23/15
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 00:22:32 +0000 (UTC), Ivan D. Reid wrote:
> and Europeans.

They still get tetchy if you poach those, though...

--
32. I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who brings me bad
news just to illustrate how evil I really am. Good messengers are

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 23, 2015, 5:39:04 PM7/23/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:57:04 -0500
Peter H. Coffin <hel...@ninehells.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 00:22:32 +0000 (UTC), Ivan D. Reid wrote:
>> and Europeans.
>
> They still get tetchy if you poach those, though...

Not the feral ones, surely!

(and poaching isn't really suitable, like all meats they should be
roasted or pan fried)

Zebee

Richard Bos

Jul 24, 2015, 4:31:47 AM7/24/15
Poached ham can be nice. I recommend Belgian.

Richard

Richard Bos

Jul 24, 2015, 4:39:25 AM7/24/15
Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:

> > (Then again, I just came back from the Ardennes. If the sign next
> > to the road says "route degradee", they really mean it.)
>
> Hah! You get signs?
>
> Should try the Northern Rivers some time. The Kyogle road they don't
> bother with a pothole till it's eaten a motorcycle. On the Stoney
> Creek road they don't bother until its eaten a Volkswagen!
>
> (Whereas on the New England they put up "rough surface" signs if the
> billard ball rolls more than 5mm off true)

You should see the signs over here. On one local bridge, there was a
sign saying "Newly resurfaced - slippery when wet". It stayed up for
several years.

Richard

LP

Jul 24, 2015, 6:00:26 AM7/24/15
On 2015-07-16, David Scheidt <dsch...@panix.com> wrote:
> Alexander Schreiber <a...@usenet.thangorodrim.de> wrote:
>:Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
>:>
>:> I tell people that WD-40 is expensive kerosine, but they
>:> don't blieve me. Kerosine is good as a penetrating oil, to loosen
>:> stuck parts, as a local de-greaser and as a quick and dirty lube.
>:> So is WD-40, and it comes in a convenient spray can.
>
>:And after most of it is evaporated, the sticky residue is pretty good at
>:catching dust. Which is another reason not to use it as a lubricant.
>
> The sticky residue is oil.

Not all oils are appropriate lubricants in all situations.

I've seen several clockwork items (clocks, telephone dials, and childrens
toys in my direct experience) ruined by wd40.

Sure a quick squirt frees them up and they appear to run nicely, until the
dust sticks to the residue and gums up the mechanism thoroughly.

WD40 is not a lubricant, it's a penetrating fluid and water displacer and
should be followed up by a lubricating oil.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Mans Nilsson

Jul 24, 2015, 3:44:59 PM7/24/15
Den 2015-07-21 skrev mrob...@att.net <mrob...@att.net>:

> I recently learned that for some late-model General Motors cars, if you
> buy a replacement computer, it comes from the warehouse with no
> firmware; you must connect the computer to a PC using a particular
> scan tool, and then download the firmware from a GM website into the
> computer. Oh, and it's a paysite.

That sounds convenient. Now, if you want a spare key for a 2001 Volvo
this is the process:

The key spare part comes as "unassociated", with a RFID moulded inside,
and the associated public-private key piece for the RFID on a slip of
paper. It needs pairing with the car by entering said keypiece into the
main computer, a process only possible with the vendor-specific software,
and only when online with the manufacturer data systems. The software can
only be bought by authorised dealers. No 3rd party service even possible.

We are fucked. Hardware and software working together to ensure absolute
minima of functionality. Not even Yneel Ryyvfba or his minions could
come up with something so completely evil.

As soon as some part of this goes titsup the lawyers will sit on the IPR
for the process, and what they will do with it is probably best to not
think about, except realising that it will take insane amounts of money.
It will most likely also be illegal to circumvent any or all of this scit
according to some broad-sweeping legislation bought by an entertainment
industry unable to reinvent itself. Besides, it'll be terrorism. And sin.

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668
I put aside my copy of "BOWLING WORLD" and think about GUN CONTROL
legislation...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 25, 2015, 4:37:24 PM7/25/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:23:24 +0200
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I'm starting to get the appeal of the big all-road bikes. Except for
> high speed cornering they're almost always the right tool for the job:
>
> - The wide handlebars make them easy to handle in city traffic.
>
> - The soft and long suspension handles all kinds of uneven surfaces,
> from gravel to speedbumps, well.
>
> - The large engine means enough power for comfortable long trips with
> luggage and/or passengers.

You have just described my GUzzi Norge which is a tourer not a dual
purpose.

The Noggie comes with decent luggage and better weather protection
too.

You do trade off ability to manage really ugly dirt roads at speed for
managing other roads at speed.

The Noggie does off road OK but you can't charge hard on them as while
the suspension is plush it's not really long so deep holes and bits of
log are a problem. Slimy roadworks in the rain are fine as long as
you keep the speed down but that's more the road tyres than the bike
itself.

IF I put dual purpose tyres on it it would be fine on anything up to
proper fire trails or sand.

It's main job is Gentleman's Express high speed touring but it is
capable of chasing a 250 trailbike through saturday night traffic in
Sydney and doing 10km of aforesaid slimy roadworks on the switchbacks
of Thunderbolts Way in the rain with ease.

It's a big heavy bastard though, so your balance has to be good and if
it starts to go you have to let it. Plus the fairing and general
angles mean that if it is on its side the wheels don't touch the
ground making it damn near impossible to pick up without help.

Zebee

Niklas Karlsson

Jul 25, 2015, 7:24:09 PM7/25/15
On 2015-07-25, Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have just described my GUzzi Norge which is a tourer not a dual
> purpose.

*lightbulb comes on*

I've seen you mentioned the Norge in various posts for years, but
couldn't really figure out whether it was supposed to have anything to
do with Norway or just a namespace collision. I suppose I could have
just asked, but it didn't seem important even though it was an annoying
niggling question at the back of my head each time. With the brand name
attached I was able to get enough sense out of google to answer it.

ObASR: Impending recovery. I sort of wish I could just get it over with
rather than waiting for the glacial progress of union[0] wrangling
followed by notice period.

Niklas

[0] I doubt they'll make much of a difference, though theoretically they
could. I regard union membership in a field like ours mostly as
legal insurance - very VERY useful if it does become useful. But I
think everything is above board legally in this case.
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 25, 2015, 11:09:53 PM7/25/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 23:24:08 +0000 (UTC)
Niklas Karlsson <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> On 2015-07-25, Zebee Johnstone <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You have just described my GUzzi Norge which is a tourer not a dual
>> purpose.
>
> *lightbulb comes on*
>
> I've seen you mentioned the Norge in various posts for years, but
> couldn't really figure out whether it was supposed to have anything to
> do with Norway or just a namespace collision. I suppose I could have
> just asked, but it didn't seem important even though it was an annoying
> niggling question at the back of my head each time. With the brand name
> attached I was able to get enough sense out of google to answer it.

The answer being "yes" :)

As per wikipedia in 1928 the first Moto Guzzi GT had the first
production rear suspension and to prove it worked Guiseppe Guzzi
rode from Italy to the Artic circle on it.

My 1973 850GT is also a Gentleman's Express but modern suspension and
brakes mean it isn't a patch on the Noggie for arctic circle work...

OK Guiseppe would have thought it heaven on a stick but still it took
till 2006 for Guzzi to slap the Norge name on something. And a very
nice something it is!

Zebee

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Zebee Johnstone

Jul 26, 2015, 5:59:38 PM7/26/15
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:50:04 +0200
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> [1] Big, heavy, high bike with low center of gravity appears to corner
> best if I lean *against* the curve, instead of with it, pushing the
> handlebars away and down. Still feels weird.

Are you bracing the opposite foot when you countersteer?

That tends to do the same as far as the bike goes without your weight
having to shift like that.

I highly recommend Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II (not I or III)
for useful information about bike handling generally. If someone is
running a Superbike School you can get to (I think there are some in
Europe but I don't know where) then do whatever you need to to attend
the Level I course.

I don't think the later levels are anywhere near as good (at least
level II was a total wash for me and I have had similar reports from
others) but Level I was a revelation.

Zebee
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted