how many obstacles?

hymie!

Oct 4, 2015, 7:34:15 AM10/4/15
I may have posted this complaint before. I honestly don't remember.
So I must admit openly that ... um ... my local supermarket has new
supplier of chickens, and I need to ensure that a sacrifice is still
acceptable.

Anyway, I recently learned that, at the government agency where I work,
not only am I required to change my root and user passwords at least every
60 days, but I am also not (technically) allowed to use password-managing
programs -- even non-cloud ones like passwordsafe.

I guess they **want** me to write the passwords on Post-It notes.

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hy...@lactose.homelinux.net

Steve VanDevender

Oct 5, 2015, 2:32:19 AM10/5/15
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> writes:

> On 2015-10-04, hymie! wrote:
>>I guess they **want** me to write the passwords on Post-It notes.
>
> American Post-It notes, obviously, not Chinese ones.

I wonder if Snowden's document dump has anything about the NSA paying 3M
to backdoor Post-Its? Has anyone checked over a Post-It carefully for
anything unusual lately?

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8

Thomas Womack

Oct 5, 2015, 11:39:11 AM10/5/15
In article <U88Qx.149$731...@fx05.fr7>,
hymie! <hy...@lactose.homelinux.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I recently learned that, at the government agency where I
> work, not only am I required to change my root and user passwords at
> least every 60 days, but I am also not (technically) allowed to use
> password-managing programs -- even non-cloud ones like passwordsafe.

> I guess they **want** me to write the passwords on Post-It notes.

Provided you put the post-it note in a sealed envelope, and treat it
as a secret of equivalent severity to the most secret system it gives
you access to, that's not a bad idea. Having to find another envelope
every time you forget the password is a well-balanced incentive.

Tom

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 6, 2015, 6:51:05 AM10/6/15
"Thomas Womack" <two...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> In article <U88Qx.149$731...@fx05.fr7>,
> hymie! <hy...@lactose.homelinux.net> wrote:

[...]
>> I guess they **want** me to write the passwords on Post-It notes.
>
> Provided you put the post-it note in a sealed envelope, and treat it
> as a secret of equivalent severity to the most secret system it gives
> you access to, that's not a bad idea. Having to find another envelope
> every time you forget the password is a well-balanced incentive.

Hey, that reminds me of the procedure for giving out the number to the
mobile phone in my backpack[0] when I go on vacation.

When I come back to work, I ask back the unopened envelope and start
eating it. Generally, I don't need to finish it all to make my point.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

[0] Which (a) I keep referring to as 'my wife's phone that she keeps in
my bac
kpack', and (b) remains turned off until *I* need it. Great
battery life, too.

Wojciech Derechowski

Oct 6, 2015, 3:13:36 PM10/6/15
On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:02:27 +0000, Chronos wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 23:32:13 -0700
> Steve VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
>> Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> writes:

>> > American Post-It notes, obviously, not Chinese ones.
>>
>> I wonder if Snowden's document dump has anything about the NSA paying
>> 3M to backdoor Post-Its? Has anyone checked over a Post-It carefully
>> for anything unusual lately?
>
> I have noticed that, when using a ballpoint pen, there are multiple
> shadow copies made silently with no user interaction. Could this be a
> worrying sign?

I'll start keeping my passwords in a dictionary.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Peter Corlett

Oct 6, 2015, 4:04:14 PM10/6/15
Chronos <use...@chronos.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> I have noticed that, when using a ballpoint pen, there are multiple
> shadow copies made silently with no user interaction. Could this be a
> worrying sign?

It's a sign you should start using a fountain pen, for this and many other
reasons. A perfectly acceptable Parker and a pack of ink cartridges clocks
in at under a tenner. As a bonus they don't tend to go walkabouts like
biros do.

John F. Eldredge

Oct 7, 2015, 10:54:52 PM10/7/15
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:07:39 +0100, Chronos wrote:
> Ah, mine are quite safe. As David Scheidt says in the other thread, my
> handwriting has built-in encryption. Actually, it's more of a one-way
> hash...

I once had a boss with handwriting like that. Not only was I unable to
figure out what some of his notes said, he couldn't read them either.

Joe Zeff

Oct 8, 2015, 1:55:10 AM10/8/15
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 02:54:49 +0000, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> I once had a boss with handwriting like that. Not only was I unable to
> figure out what some of his notes said, he couldn't read them either.

This is why the only thing I use cursive for is my signature.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfsinc.info

Joe Zeff

Oct 8, 2015, 1:39:01 PM10/8/15
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:07:10 +0100, Chronos wrote:

> I blame the sod with the blackboard eraser in primary school. There are
> only so many times you can be hit in the bonce with one of those before
> something gives...

Let me guess: his name was Vimes.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfsinc.info
Which has led to otherwise sensible folks waving pencils at them and
shouting "Accio plot!"

Peter Corlett

Oct 9, 2015, 6:10:07 AM10/9/15
Chronos <use...@chronos.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> I blame the sod with the blackboard eraser in primary school. There are
> only so many times you can be hit in the bonce with one of those before
> something gives...

And yet when I tossed it back rather than meekly carrying it to the front
of the class, that was unacceptable behaviour.

I only learned one thing at that school: an utter contempt for liars and
hypocrites who assert authority and demand respect. The stuff the school
was supposed to be teaching me, I learned after-hours.

Ahh, the 1970s, how we don't miss you.

Wojciech Derechowski

Oct 9, 2015, 1:35:15 PM10/9/15
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:10:05 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
> Ahh, the 1970s, how we don't miss you.

Yes but you didn't have to boil people before sex.

David Cameron Staples

Oct 9, 2015, 9:55:14 PM10/9/15
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:10:05 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Ahh, the 1970s, how we don't miss you.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who 1) doesn't already know, and 2)
wants to be educated/reminded of the true horror of the 1970s.

http://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

Peter Corlett

Oct 11, 2015, 6:50:48 AM10/11/15
Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@wp.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:10:05 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> [...]
>> Ahh, the 1970s, how we don't miss you.
> Yes but you didn't have to boil people before sex.

David Cameron, is that you?

Wojciech Derechowski

Oct 11, 2015, 10:18:24 AM10/11/15
That's nonsense and cannot be true. The drug taking on the other hand...

Richard Bos

Oct 13, 2015, 4:14:55 AM10/13/15
Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:50:46 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@wp.pl> wrote:
> >> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:10:05 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Yes but you didn't have to boil people before sex.
> >
> > David Cameron, is that you?
>
> That's nonsense and cannot be true. The drug taking on the other hand...

And the laughing at Borat...

Richard

Hank

Oct 13, 2015, 12:06:27 PM10/13/15
In article <mv83pt$j9o$1...@vserver-5.cabal.org.uk>,
Peter Corlett <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
>From: ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
>Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
>Subject: Re: how many obstacles?
>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:10:05 +0000 (UTC)
I can assure you that nothing was different in the 1940's when I went to
school. We had a math teacher who pegged students with a chalk-loaded
eraser. He nailed me once too often, so I scored a direct hit on his
dark jacket.

Down to the headmaster's office and got sent home for the day (again)
for being insufficiently subservient to the tin gods on the faculty.
Can't say as I learned anything resembling useful mathematical stuff
from that bird. But that was pretty par for the course.

Hank