Re: He needed killin'

Message has been deleted

John Burnham

Jul 25, 2014, 10:00:21 AM7/25/14
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:34:36 +0000, Roger Bell_West wrote:

> On 2014-07-25, Gallian wrote:
>>Tell me why violence isn't an option again?
>
> Violence is fine. You just have to use the right implements. I favour
> "people who can't point the finger at me".

I'm appreciating the large amount of building work going on around here
at the moment. So many opportunities to make the people who think they're
pillars of $INSTITUTE become so literally......

Shmuel Metz

Jul 25, 2014, 11:41:50 AM7/25/14
In <86fvhpl...@gaheris.avalon.lan>, on 07/25/2014
at 03:25 PM, Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> said:

>Today I get CC'ed on an email, and a phone call from our customer
>that the site should be up and running. I remove the blockage.

Hey Flounder!

First check, then reinstate.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> ISO position
Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.

Joe Zeff

Jul 25, 2014, 3:58:51 PM7/25/14
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:25:07 +0200, Gallian wrote:

> Tell me why violence isn't an option again?

You mean it isn't?

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

Wojciech Derechowski

Jul 27, 2014, 1:08:56 AM7/27/14
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:41:50 +0000, Shmuel Metz wrote:
> In <86fvhpl...@gaheris.avalon.lan>, on 07/25/2014
> at 03:25 PM, Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> said:
>
>>Today I get CC'ed on an email, and a phone call from our customer
>>that the site should be up and running. I remove the blockage.
>
> Hey Flounder!
>
> First check, then reinstate.

Yeah, the correct procedure is (i) check (ii) reinstate (iii) wait for hack.
Why don't people get paid for post mortem analysis?

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Message has been deleted

Dan Bissonnette

Jul 27, 2014, 4:39:23 PM7/27/14
In article <86fvhpl...@gaheris.avalon.lan>, gal...@linuxmail.org
says...

> Customer has his site hacked due to web guy installing Wbbzyn and not
> keeping it up to date. So we block it and inform customer.

Pff. Now replace "customer" with "vendor that $ork has based
significant business model on."

This is my reality.

--
"You're having an internal argument with somebody named
DragonQueen42 - you're never going to win that argument."

ppint. at pplay

Aug 7, 2014, 12:22:54 AM8/7/14
- hi; "Wojciech Derechowski" rhetoricked [0]:
> Shmuel Metz wrote:
>> Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> said:
>>>Today I get CC'ed on an email, and a phone call from our customer
>>>that the site should be up and running. I remove the blockage.
>>Hey Flounder! First check, then reinstate.
>
>Yeah, the correct procedure is (i) check (ii) reinstate (iii) wait for hack.
>Why don't people get paid for post mortem analysis?

- post mortem, pecuniae cupiditum habet nemo. - [a]

- "si monumentum requirescat, circumspice."

- love, ppint.

[a] - p'raps?

[drop the "v", and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
[0] - "I like rhetorical questions;
I usually get them right."

Tom Yates

Aug 7, 2014, 2:34:19 AM8/7/14
"ppint. at pplay" <v$af$pp...@i-m-t.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> - "si monumentum requirescat, circumspice."

"requiris", but i take your point.

--

Tom Yates - Network Chap - Gatekeeper Technology Ltd. - +44/0 1223 704038

Richard Bos

Aug 7, 2014, 8:08:25 AM8/7/14
Tom Yates <madha...@SPAMteaparty.net> wrote:

> "ppint. at pplay" <v$af$pp...@i-m-t.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > - "si monumentum requirescat, circumspice."
>
> "requiris", but i take your point.

And a great monument it is, too.

Richard

ppint. at pplay

Aug 9, 2014, 4:22:04 AM8/9/14
- hi; madha...@SPAMteaparty.net "Tom Yates" corrigatet:
> "ppint. at pplay" <v$af$pp...@i-m-t.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> - "si monumentum requirescat, circumspice."
>
>"requiris", but i take your point.

- thanks; i was trying to (re-)construct a thrid person conditional...

- evidently incorrectly as in, not in the original.

- love, ppint.
[drop the "v", and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
"gregor asks - requests and requires, no less! - you to give me
the lecture you gave him on honor versus reputation."

Joe Zeff

Aug 9, 2014, 2:29:05 PM8/9/14
On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:22:04 +0100, ppint. at pplay wrote:

> "gregor asks - requests and requires, no less! - you to give me
> the lecture you gave him on honor versus reputation."
> - miles to his father, aral vorkosigan
> - _A Diplomatic Campaign_ - lois mcmaster bujold

I don't have a copy available to check, but I think that the name of that
novel was A Civil Campaign.

Personally, my favorite quote from Gregor is, "Let's wait and see."

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
But is it really useful for the city council to survive while the rest of
the population is a glowing cloud drifting away in the 500MPH breeze?

Joe Zeff

Aug 9, 2014, 6:17:50 PM8/9/14
On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 18:29:05 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Personally, my favorite quote from Gregor is, "Let's wait and see."

Correction: "Let's see what happens."

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
The only way to make that less secure would be to run all your
application launch events via sendmail.

Shmuel Metz

Aug 11, 2014, 5:41:09 PM8/11/14
In <53e66871$0$19520$ec3e...@news.usenetmonster.com>, on 08/09/2014
at 06:29 PM, Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfs.info> said:

>I don't have a copy available to check, but I think that the name
>of that novel was A Civil Campaign.

>Personally, my favorite quote from Gregor is, "Let's wait and see."

Something about finding him a post where he can be less busy. Brr!

But my favorite quote is not from Gregor: "Twit!".

ppint. at pplay

Aug 11, 2014, 10:35:20 PM8/11/14
- hi; "Joe Zeff" gently corrected:
> ppint. at pplay wrote:
>> - _A Diplomatic Campaign_ - lois mcmaster bujold
>
>I don't have a copy available to check, but I think that the name of that
>novel was A Civil Campaign.

- *blush* - you are right; hasty emendation to file;
copious apologies; "mea culpa, mea culpa; mea maxima
culpa..."

>Personally, my favorite quote from Gregor is, "Let's wait and see."

- or not see, where much of cockroach central is concerned...

- love, a still-ppink ppint.
[drop the "v", and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
"...and then, because she's blonde, i thought, "we'll kill her.""
- lindsay davis, "book club"

Joe Zeff

Oct 25, 2014, 10:45:06 PM10/25/14
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:34:36 +0000, Roger Bell_West wrote:

> Violence is fine. You just have to use the right implements. I favour
> "people who can't point the finger at me".

"The task of filling up the blanks I'd rather leave to you..."

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
Rule of thumb: If someone says any tech is "only 20 years away"
you can probably add a zero.

Joe Zeff

Oct 25, 2014, 10:47:48 PM10/25/14
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 03:35:20 +0100, ppint. at pplay wrote:

> - or not see, where much of cockroach central is concerned...

"One Betan Dollar!"

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info