Re: What do I do with this (s)crap

Peter Corlett

May 13, 2016, 4:44:03 AM5/13/16
Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
[...]
> Enough with the old computer parts. No one wants them on the site with the
> list of you-know-who, or the free biking place, or whatever. So: I gots me a
> couple of KVM switches that may or may not work: all PS/2, all VGA, one is
> 2-way one is 4-way. I got the wires to go with it: Sets of PS/2 cables, VGA
> cables, and combo PS2+VGA cables. Anyone want?
> The switches may or may not work. The knob fell off one of them and I don't
> seem to have it.

They wouldn't even be worth the cost of shipping if they were brand new and
sealed.

Do you not have a local computer recycling facility? Ours is the fly-tip corner
down the end of the road, where the geeks get to have a good rifle through it
before Environmental Health finally notice and come and haul the rest away.

Richard Bos

May 13, 2016, 11:49:28 AM5/13/16
ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) wrote:

> Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > Enough with the old computer parts. No one wants them on the site with the
> > list of you-know-who, or the free biking place, or whatever. So: I gots me a
> > couple of KVM switches that may or may not work: all PS/2, all VGA, one is
> > 2-way one is 4-way. I got the wires to go with it: Sets of PS/2 cables, VGA
> > cables, and combo PS2+VGA cables. Anyone want?

Well. I currently do, for personal use not unrecovery, but neither of us
is willing to pay the P&P from your place to Europe.

> They wouldn't even be worth the cost of shipping if they were brand new and
> sealed.
>
> Do you not have a local computer recycling facility? Ours is the fly-tip corner
> down the end of the road, where the geeks get to have a good rifle through it
> before Environmental Health finally notice and come and haul the rest away.

Or, for that matter, a general recycling/donorware/thrift shop. There's
one in my town which would be perfectly willing to put it on their
shelves for a bit as long as they wouldn't have to pay you more than
fifty cents for the honour of taking it off your hands. Surely they have
one in Silicon Valley as well?

Richard

Steve VanDevender

May 13, 2016, 5:42:47 PM5/13/16
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> writes:

> On 2016-05-12, Satya wrote:
>
>>Enough with the old computer parts. No one wants them on the site with the
>>list of you-know-who, or the free biking place, or whatever. So: I gots me a
>>couple of KVM switches that may or may not work: all PS/2, all VGA, one is
>>2-way one is 4-way. I got the wires to go with it: Sets of PS/2 cables, VGA
>>cables, and combo PS2+VGA cables. Anyone want?
>
> It might help to give approximate ICBM coordinates.

In this case I think there are other ways to be sure aside from nuking
them from orbit.

Dan Bissonnette

May 13, 2016, 6:53:45 PM5/13/16
In article <nh444h$2t3$1...@vserver-5.cabal.org.uk>, ab...@mooli.org.uk
says...

> Do you not have a local computer recycling facility? Ours is the fly-tip corner
> down the end of the road, where the geeks get to have a good rifle through it
> before Environmental Health finally notice and come and haul the rest away.

We have a *terrible* recycling facility; they won't take anything less
than an i3 2GB.

Fortunately, the local solid-waste dropoff point does have a contract
with a company that grinds up computer gear to recover the metals &
materials. We take a truckload out there about once a month.

It's the law. And we're a "finance institution," so we have to have the
storage devices ground up by a bonded service.

--
"You're having an internal argument with somebody named
DragonQueen42 - you're never going to win that argument."

Ino

May 14, 2016, 9:00:19 AM5/14/16
On 2016-05-14, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 08:44:01 +0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett wrote:
>> Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
>> They wouldn't even be worth the cost of shipping if they were brand new and
>> sealed.
>
> Yeah, was afraid of that.

Yeah - you ought to know better by now. I mean, fuck - when I was a kid we still
had vacuum-tube radios and TVs ... And now?! I could talk to the fucking thing through
the remote control. Everything is fast, everything depreciates within months,
everything has ultimately no value anymore.

Hell - I "rescued" a couple of Fbal RIV-Q70C from our recycle bin. They'll do
just fine as surveillance cameras (they see quite well in the dark) as soon as
I can get my rescuing mits on a couple of Nkvf rapbqref.

<side story>

I looked to see if I can plop in a EnfcoreelCv brain to network/control them.
And then, there's some neat stuff one could do with BcraPI, just for extra
shits and giggles.

All would be great were it not for the fact that you can't get composite video
into the damned brain.

It's HFO2 or UQZV/PFV2. HFO is not an option if only for the single reason that
it sucks dead goats through the garden hose. UQZV would be a slightly better
choice (mainly because of the PFV2 input) were it not for the
fact that the drivers for a pre-alpha strap-on board are still in
pre-pre-pre-alpha.

Oh - and I'd still be stuck with having to convert composite to UQZV. GRRR!!
And so, at the end, the cost of the damned thing would be too great to
justify the result.

Sooooo... fuck it - let's see when those Nkvf rapbqref show in the recycle bin.

I can't be arsed to waste time on a project with no palpable returns on hardware
which may be nice as an idea, but it was born obsolete.

</side story>

>> Do you not have a local computer recycling facility? Ours is the fly-tip corner
>> down the end of the road, where the geeks get to have a good rifle through it
>> before Environmental Health finally notice and come and haul the rest away.
>
> Nah, California. Maybe one of them electronic maker faires wants the bits.

What? Work doesn't do recycling? Bugger!

Ino

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

Ino

May 14, 2016, 4:59:36 PM5/14/16
On 2016-05-14, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2016-05-14, Ino wrote:
>>Hell - I "rescued" a couple of Fbal RIV-Q70C from our recycle bin. They'll do
>>just fine as surveillance cameras (they see quite well in the dark) as soon as
>>I can get my rescuing mits on a couple of Nkvf rapbqref.
>
> I imagine they would work even better if you remove the <UI>, though
> it may be fiddly.

Yes, quite possible - but I'm not that desperate. If we had 6 months of
darkness at a time, then I'd possibly consider it.

And - yes it would be fiddly. Since I couldn't find the power supplies
they came with I had to remove the base plate to solder the wires straight
on the PCB... Well, looks like Fbal's loctite ejaculating fairy did a good
job and spread copious amounts of locktite on all the fiddly little screws.
Incidentally I also think they decided to go with said screws being made of
soft cheese. Nearly stripped the heads of two of them - half way out their
holes.

After that escapade and looking inside and seeing there's not a lot
that I can fuck with productively - I decided against doing that
again without a really good, compelling reason.

Ino

May 15, 2016, 2:00:54 AM5/15/16
On 2016-05-15, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2016 12:56:44 -0000 (UTC), Ino wrote:
>> the remote control. Everything is fast, everything depreciates within months,
>> everything has ultimately no value anymore.
>
> Yah, but.... Yeah. :(

That post was brought to you by "Down, Not Across" Inc. - A wholly owned subsidiary
of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

>>> Nah, California. Maybe one of them electronic maker faires wants the bits.
>>
>> What? Work doesn't do recycling? Bugger!
>
> Work is small. Meh, I can pile it with the other electr(on)ic junk.

Council kerb collection? Someone else's work?

<OB Kerb-collection anectode>

Last year, the horse-rug washing machine I bought for less than a song
decided to wet its pants and blow the RCD as a consequence.

To fix or not to fix... Well, let's take it apart. To cut a long story
short (and spare the recollection of some choice words addressed at
Kleenmaid) 4 hours later I decided it was not repairable since, yes
you *could* replace the bearings and clean up the gear box... but
you're still stuck with a nearly rusted through tub which is not
replaceable and might decide to meet its maker in a cloud of sparks
and very thick smoke.

So, fuck it - goes on the side of the road as the council just nominated
the next day for the kerb collection.

5 minutes later I hear tire-squealing and all I could see was a blur
of what I could only characterise as our bogan Jawas, loading the dead
washing droid^H^H^H^H^Hmachine up and disappearing at a great rate
of knots.

And it was gone. Witness to its very short kerb existence was a
square of pressed down grass and nothing more.

</OB kerb-collection anecdote>

Lawns 'R' Us

May 15, 2016, 8:16:58 AM5/15/16
On 2016-05-13, AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
> Satya posted thus:
>> ... So: I gots me a
>>couple of KVM switches that may or may not work: all PS/2, all VGA, one is
>>2-way one is 4-way. I got the wires to go with it: Sets of PS/2 cables, VGA
>>cables, and combo PS2+VGA cables. Anyone want?
>
> MPEGs of this stuff being suitably blown up would be oh so much more
> portable than any attempt to ship the physical gear to the average
> remaining denizen of this august froup, especially noting that most of
> us are a tad vague about being geolocated.

Well, if it helps any, I'm a bit north of latitude -90, and directly
south of latitude +90. Longitude is 15 degrees east, but I'm not
telling you which city the prime meridian runs through (or even if it
_does_ run through a city).

Peter Corlett

May 15, 2016, 9:01:20 AM5/15/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
[...]
> This sounds like Amsterdam. If it has any value whatsoever, by the time you
> look out of the window having made it back upstairs into the house[0], it's
> gone.

I don't know what the Dutch call it, but I've nicknamed it "chavcycle". In
Shepherd's Bush, I put a fridge in the front garden in Saturday with a view to
phoning the council on Monday, but it had gone by Sunday morning. In Mitcham,
we had a garage clean-up and again, dumped all the CRTs and other obsolete crap
in the garden, and that all vanished under cover of darkness. Even my old
frying pan!

But now I have the joy of living in Zaandam, what with economic reality
creeeping up behind the dreams of living in a pretty bit of Amsterdam's Centrum
and dumping the body in a canal. So the pickings are usually extremely
poor-quality but means that the good stuff lingers.

Last bank holiday had the good folk of Zaandam drag all their junk^W Fine
Legacy Stuff down to the park and attempt to sell it to each other. I was
expecting to find *something* interesting, but it was basically worn-out
clothes, knackered tools, that sort of stuff.

My best haul of the day turned out to be a decent-sized bit of mirror glass
offcut from the flytip corner right outside my front door. I also grabbed a
Dull desktop, but cutting my hands on a sharp bit of glass was probably the
better deal.

> This includes bits of old shelving and stuff, though famously not the Iiyama
> 19" flatscreen CRT I lusted after in the '90s but could not afford. That one
> sat outside untouched for 3 days in 2010.

I am quite surprised there are any CRTs left on the estate, but the natives can
always find a fresh telly (Philips, of course) to put out within minutes of
Zaanstad hauling away the last one.

Richard Bos

May 15, 2016, 10:31:51 AM5/15/16
ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) wrote:

> But now I have the joy of living in Zaandam,

Oh, you poor fscking thing. Makes me feel a bit better about living in
the outback of Rzzrybbeq.

> Last bank holiday had the good folk of Zaandam drag all their junk^W Fine
> Legacy Stuff down to the park and attempt to sell it to each other. I was
> expecting to find *something* interesting, but it was basically worn-out
> clothes, knackered tools, that sort of stuff.

You're surprised? We had the same thing over here (same holiday, too, I
suspect). Of course there is the usual tat, but, naive as I am, I always
have a stroll around looking for decent books. 50% children's books
(potentially decent but no use to me); 45% Konsalik, Mills & Boon and
allies; 5% other uninteresting. I found one (1) interesting book, on
Escher, IIRC Magic Mirror but in any case I had it already. The rest is
silence. Tech stuff is either outdated even for my use, third-tier PS
games, or dubious in the extreme.
At least I scored a decent tailed but neutered mouse at the local
community re-sale, recently.

> > This includes bits of old shelving and stuff, though famously not the Iiyama
> > 19" flatscreen CRT I lusted after in the '90s but could not afford. That one
> > sat outside untouched for 3 days in 2010.
>
> I am quite surprised there are any CRTs left on the estate, but the natives can
> always find a fresh telly (Philips, of course) to put out within minutes of
> Zaanstad hauling away the last one.

If you want one (Philips telly, not CRT), I have one to get rid of. I
suspect some capacitor has gone tits-up; at any rate, it took a few
years to shift its colours upwards (watching the skating with the ice
coloured orange is amusing), and now it refuses to turn on at all.

Richard

Julian Macassey

May 15, 2016, 1:52:09 PM5/15/16
On Sun, 15 May 2016 05:57:19 -0000 (UTC), Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap> wrote:

> Council kerb collection? Someone else's work?
>
><OB Kerb-collection anectode>
>
> Last year, the horse-rug washing machine I bought for less than a song
> decided to wet its pants and blow the RCD as a consequence.

snippo
> So, fuck it - goes on the side of the road as the council just nominated
> the next day for the kerb collection.
>
> 5 minutes later I hear tire-squealing and all I could see was a blur
> of what I could only characterise as our bogan Jawas, loading the dead
> washing droid^H^H^H^H^Hmachine up and disappearing at a great rate
> of knots.
>
> And it was gone. Witness to its very short kerb existence was a
> square of pressed down grass and nothing more.
>
></OB kerb-collection anecdote>

In some circles getting free hardware off the kerb is
called a "Ground score".

In the US, the best ground score is at the end of Uni
academic years when to stoonts go back to the 'burbs leaving
behind all sorts of kitchen appliances and entertainment
equipment, mostly hardly used.

Higher education, helping the rest of us keep down the
cost of living.

"They hate our freedoms" - George W. Bush, September 20, 2001

Stoneshop

May 16, 2016, 9:30:04 AM5/16/16
Richard Bos wrote:

>> > couple of KVM switches that may or may not work: all PS/2, all VGA, one
>> > is 2-way one is 4-way. I got the wires to go with it: Sets of PS/2
>> > cables, VGA cables, and combo PS2+VGA cables. Anyone want?
>
> Well. I currently do, for personal use not unrecovery, but neither of us
> is willing to pay the P&P from your place to Europe.

How many, how many ports and what length cables?

--
// Rik Steenwinkel
// Zevenaar, Netherlands

John F. Eldredge

May 16, 2016, 8:12:56 PM5/16/16
Some years ago, I had a deceased window-mounted air conditioner, and
decided the time had come to haul it to the scrapyard. One Friday
evening, I lugged it as far as my front porch, planning to transport it
Saturday morning. Come Saturday morning, I found that someone had stolen
it off the porch. In that case, I think the thief managed more of an
"own goal".

Peter Corlett

May 17, 2016, 3:37:58 AM5/17/16
John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
[...]
> Some years ago, I had a deceased window-mounted air conditioner, and decided
> the time had come to haul it to the scrapyard. One Friday evening, I lugged
> it as far as my front porch, planning to transport it Saturday morning. Come
> Saturday morning, I found that someone had stolen it off the porch. In that
> case, I think the thief managed more of an "own goal".

An own goal all the way to the metal recycling centre with several kilos of
copper and/or aluminium.

Wojciech Derechowski

May 17, 2016, 6:51:28 AM5/17/16
And playing it safe instead of going for 25 kV 50 Hz overhead traction line.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Stoneshop

May 18, 2016, 8:45:03 AM5/18/16
Satya wrote:

> Ya but cross-pond shipping :(

From me to Richard it wouldn't be. Not by a long shot.

Richard Bos

May 22, 2016, 9:26:20 AM5/22/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2016 14:31:50 GMT, Richard Bos wrote:
> > ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) wrote:
> >> But now I have the joy of living in Zaandam,
> >
> > Oh, you poor fscking thing. Makes me feel a bit better about living in
> > the outback of Rzzrybbeq.
>
> Hmm. I do think you still win that DSW. Zaandam might be a hole
> in the ground but it's at least close to stuff that isn't.

One manages. An hour by bus and train gets you to most cities I want to
visit. Eh, whenever I want to complain about living in the middle of
nowhere, I remind myself that it could be worse, much worse: at least I
don't live in Lelystad.

> > Tech stuff is either outdated even for my use, third-tier PS
> > games, or dubious in the extreme.
>
> Outdated can be good, a model M is outdated. But this is usually the
> worst kind of outdated. The cheap rat-arsed bargain basement kind that
> was worth squat and barely functional when it was new, nevermind after
> a decade of abuse.

Quite.

Richard

Richard Bos

May 22, 2016, 9:28:47 AM5/22/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2016 12:43:03 +0200, Gallian wrote:

> > Hmm. You, me, Michel and whoever we can scare up in for an ASR-AMS?
>
> Could be fun, if I can find the time/energy...

If you arrange one at a convenient time and place[1] to be reached and
returned from using public transport from Doesn't Even Have A Railway
Station, do at least mention it here. I can't guarantee anything, but I
might attempt to be there.

Richard

[1] I presume you'd choose the city centre, which will be no problem.

Richard Bos

May 22, 2016, 9:33:38 AM5/22/16
Stoneshop <rik....@steenwinkel.net> wrote:

> > Well. I currently do, for personal use not unrecovery, but neither of us
> > is willing to pay the P&P from your place to Europe.
>
> How many, how many ports and what length cables?

Just the one, with the standard monitor and PS/2 ports and some USB
ones, and short enough to reach down the side of my desk; but I wouldn't
want anybody to waste effort let alone expenses just because I'm too
lazy to find one myself.

Richard

Peter Corlett

May 23, 2016, 5:24:13 AM5/23/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
[...]
> Hmm. I do think you still win that DSW. Zaandam might be a hole in the ground
> but it's at least close to stuff that isn't.

Zandam's not so bad. We have all of the important ameneties such as a Vomar, a
CEX, and no fewer than three coffeeshops. There's also the local business "TE
HUUR" which is clearly doing very well as their sign appears on about a third
of the shop fronts in the town centre.

However, yes, the three most useful bits of Zaandam proudly display signs
labelled "Zaandam", "Zaandam Kogerveld" and "Koog Bloemwijk", along with
Nederlandse Spoorwegen's "this isn't a knock-off of British Rail's, honest guv"
logo.

Peter Corlett

May 23, 2016, 5:32:22 AM5/23/16
Richard Bos <rl...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
[...]
> If you arrange one at a convenient time and place[1] to be reached and
> returned from using public transport from Doesn't Even Have A Railway
> Station, do at least mention it here. I can't guarantee anything, but I might
> attempt to be there.

Brouwerij 't IJ is a sparrowfart from Amsterdam Muiderpoort, which is on the
line towards Doesn't Even Have A Railway Station. It would have the major
benefit of being far enough away from the centre that it won't be full of
annoying Brits.

Peter Corlett

May 23, 2016, 8:49:17 AM5/23/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
[...]
> Zaandam isn't too bad indeed, it's the nearest "big city" to us.

Zaanstad is also quite ineffectual, which I consider to be a desirable trait
in a local authority.

> My hole in the ground (bit north of Zaandam) recently got a Vietnamese
> takeout, which was quite welcome as until now the most palatable options were
> the traditional Dutch "friettent" and the Chinese restaurant that has clearly
> been there for generations. The Doner is too greasy (which takes effort) and
> the pizzeria serves oily cardboard. And that is all.

Given that my flatmate is a stoner and I am generally knackered from actually
bothering to have a job to pay the rent, we've worked through everywhere in
guhvformbetq.ay that didn't look completely minging. None of them would last
five minutes in a civilised city (or London) but the least-worst by a good
length is Nzba, assuming that you're not *too* far north of Zaandam.

Richard Bos

May 25, 2016, 8:06:37 AM5/25/16
That would certainly be reachable. (Not that I mind ignoring a few
irritating tourists. I've had to ignore irritating Dutch tourists often
enough when in London.)

Richard

Stoneshop

May 25, 2016, 12:30:03 PM5/25/16
Michel wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2016 17:19:37 +0200, Gallian wrote:
>> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
>>> Brouwerij 't IJ is a sparrowfart from Amsterdam Muiderpoort, which is on
>>> the line towards Doesn't Even Have A Railway Station. It would have the
>>> major benefit of being far enough away from the centre that it won't be
>>> full of annoying Brits.
>>
>> It's also a ferry and 5 minutes by bike for me. And the beer is good.
>
> Sure, that's easy enough.
>
> Though with me being on the other kind of bike I'd probably have to
> commit sacrilege and skip the beer. I'm sure they'll have something
> for me to drink...

Train has my preference too.

Stoneshop

May 25, 2016, 12:30:04 PM5/25/16
USB is quite absent, regretfully.

Richard Bos

May 26, 2016, 11:10:52 AM5/26/16
Stoneshop <rik....@steenwinkel.net> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:
> > Stoneshop <rik....@steenwinkel.net> wrote:
> >
> >> How many, how many ports and what length cables?
> >
> > Just the one, with the standard monitor and PS/2 ports and some USB
> > ones, and short enough to reach down the side of my desk; but I wouldn't
> > want anybody to waste effort let alone expenses just because I'm too
> > lazy to find one myself.
>
> USB is quite absent, regretfully.

Ah well, nowt to be done about it.

Richard

Peter Corlett

May 30, 2016, 7:35:54 AM5/30/16
Peter Corlett <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Brouwerij 't IJ is a sparrowfart from Amsterdam Muiderpoort, which is on the
> line towards Doesn't Even Have A Railway Station. It would have the major
> benefit of being far enough away from the centre that it won't be full of
> annoying Brits.

Well... the forecast for Friday and the weekend is hot and sunny ("Jung ner
lbh, n shpxvat yvmneq?") so a few post-work cold ones seem indicated. Who's up
for around 17:30-ish onwards on Friday?

Richard Bos

May 30, 2016, 9:17:58 AM5/30/16
Ah... I have people coming round myself this Friday. (I know, I know,
Richard gaining a social life, what _is_ this world coming to?). So, not
that day for me.

Richard

Peter Corlett

Jun 21, 2016, 8:18:50 AM6/21/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
[...]
>> Well... the forecast for Friday and the weekend is hot and sunny ("Jung ner
>> lbh, n shpxvat yvmneq?") so a few post-work cold ones seem indicated. Who's
>> up for around 17:30-ish onwards on Friday?
> Ok, after 'celebrating' another year in this vale of tears, I have no plans
> for any upcoming weekends. So, anyone still up for ASR-AMS?

Sure. Pick a date and call it.

mikea

Jun 22, 2016, 1:35:02 PM6/22/16
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote in <20160523115909....@firedrake.org>:

> On 2016-05-23, Peter Corlett wrote:
>>Zandam's not so bad. We have all of the important ameneties such as a Vomar, a
>>CEX, and no fewer than three coffeeshops. There's also the local business "TE
>>HUUR" which is clearly doing very well as their sign appears on about a third
>>of the shop fronts in the town centre.
>
> Ah, one of the many holdings of the Graf von Ausfahrt.

Is he related to the Count de Frontage, who surveyed so many roads in the USA?

--
WOMBAT: Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time
PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

Peter Corlett

Jun 27, 2016, 4:34:28 AM6/27/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
>> Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
[...]
>>> Ok, after 'celebrating' another year in this vale of tears, I have no plans
>>> for any upcoming weekends. So, anyone still up for ASR-AMS?

What with me being an utterly boring git, *every* weekend is free.

>> Sure. Pick a date and call it.
> Despite Roger's helpful link, I think we're small and informal enough to do
> it right out here.
> How does Friday July 1st sound?

Works for me. See the chicken.

I'm having a warm-up this evening if you can't wait, but I don't yet know the
venue.

Peter Corlett

Aug 2, 2016, 4:20:20 AM8/2/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
[...]
> Well, apparently only Peter and I are turning up. Anyone care to join us, you
> will find us at Brouwerij 't IJ, me from sometime around 1900, and I
> understand Peter will start boozing a little earlier <gdr>

This is worth repeating, with perhaps a bit more notice to the rest of the
group so there are more people.

The only notable gotcha is that Brouwerij 't IJ closes at 8pm, so perhaps
another venue, or weekend drinks, is more appropriate?

Maarten Wiltink

Aug 4, 2016, 4:40:16 PM8/4/16
"Gallian" <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
>> Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Indeed.
>
> The 'Suster' was nice too, if a bit pricey, and there's a few more nice
> places. I can recommend 'Proeflokaal Arendsnest' on the Herengracht.

I'd like to attend but last time was still on vacation. Also, even
though I couldn't have made it anyway, I saw it too late. So enough
notice sounds like a good idea.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Peter Corlett

Oct 8, 2016, 7:36:57 AM10/8/16
Maarten Wiltink <usene...@mfw.dds.nl> wrote:
> "Gallian" <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
[...]
>> The 'Suster' was nice too, if a bit pricey, and there's a few more nice
>> places. I can recommend 'Proeflokaal Arendsnest' on the Herengracht.
> I'd like to attend but last time was still on vacation. Also, even though I
> couldn't have made it anyway, I saw it too late. So enough notice sounds like
> a good idea.

Well, decide between you when you're free for another ASR-AMS. My diary is full
of tumbleweed, as usual.

I'm working near Amstel station these days.

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 19, 2016, 2:49:04 PM10/19/16
> Indeed. With a b
it of warning I can get off early on Fridays, and
> weekends is always fine for me.

My preference would be a Saturday. One in November, the 19th perhaps?

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 21, 2016, 4:46:28 AM10/21/16
> "Maarten Wiltink" <maa...@kittensandcats.net> writes:
>> "Gallian" <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote in message

>>> Indeed. With a bit of warning I can get off early on Fridays, and
>>> weekends is always fine for me.

>> My preference would be a Saturday. One in November, the 19th perhaps?

> That'd suit *me* just fine.

So where do we go? This Proeflokaal Arendsnest mentioned above?

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Mans Nilsson

Oct 21, 2016, 7:59:58 AM10/21/16
Den 2016-10-19 skrev Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net>:

> My preference would be a Saturday. One in November, the 19th perhaps?

My version of November does not possess 19 saturdays. I'm impressed.

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668

Richard Bos

Oct 23, 2016, 9:13:08 AM10/23/16
> That's a heck of a nice place to start, so I'd say yes.

I'm currently undergoing the first pangs of unrecovery[1] - the contract
has been drafted but has yet to be signed - so I probably won't manage
Fridays, but Saturdays would be good for me. I'm not sure I can manage
the 19th, but what with my life still being in a state of flux at the
moment I'm not really sure about any date. However, if you make an
announcement here there is at least a chance I'll turn up.

That Arendsnest place looks good, in any case.

Richard

[1] Shock! Horror! What is the world coming to?

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 24, 2016, 8:59:57 AM10/24/16
> ral...@xs4all.nl (Richard Bos) writes:
[...]
>> - the contract has been drafted but has yet to be signed - so I
>> probably won't manage Fridays, but Saturdays would be good for me. I'm
>> not sure I can manage the 19th, but what with my life still being in a
>> state of flux at the moment I'm not really sure about any
>> date. However, if you make an announcement here there is at least a
>> chance I'll turn up.

> Well, as it turns out, if
Peter or Maarten remind me, this is exactly
> the place to do so.

Please do.

> Although next announcement I might DTRT and start an actual new thread.

Nah.

Now here's a bit of a touchy subject: as I was writing this onto the
calendar, Corrie asked what I was doing. So I explained and she asked...
'Can I come along?'

I don't quite know what to say.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Peter Corlett

Oct 24, 2016, 11:19:06 AM10/24/16
Mans Nilsson <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:
> Den 2016-10-19 skrev Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net>:
>> My preference would be a Saturday. One in November, the 19th perhaps?
> My version of November does not possess 19 saturdays. I'm impressed.

You can add it to the ever-growing list of great reasons to move to the
Netherlands.

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 24, 2016, 12:06:17 PM10/24/16
"Peter Corlett" <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote in message
And we can now even get the BBC.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Peter Corlett

Oct 25, 2016, 4:17:59 PM10/25/16
Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 18:06:11 +0200, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
>> "Peter Corlett" <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> You can add it to the ever-growing list of great reasons to move to the
>>> Netherlands.
>> And we can now even get the BBC.
> Some of it, anyway.

You can get pretty much everything worthwhile. It doesn't even require one to
resort to a parrot and eyepatch, although paying for content doesn't seem to be
the done thing in the Netherlands.

Richard Bos

Oct 27, 2016, 12:04:39 PM10/27/16
"Maarten Wiltink" <maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:

> "Peter Corlett" <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote in message
> > Mans Nilsson <mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:

> >> My version of November does not possess 19 saturdays. I'm impressed.
>
> > You can add it to the ever-growing list of great reasons to move to the
> > Netherlands.
>
> And we can now even get the BBC.

I can't...

Richard

Richard Bos

Oct 27, 2016, 3:06:01 PM10/27/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> "Maarten Wiltink" <maa...@kittensandcats.net> writes:

> > Now here's a bit of a touchy subject: as I was writing this onto the
> > calendar, Corrie asked what I was doing. So I explained and she asked...
> > 'Can I come along?'
> >
> > I don't quite know what to say.
>
> So far the 19th seems popular. I say we do it. Anyone else mind if
> Maarten takes Corrie along (I don't)?

I've never, TTBOMK, met either of them (or anyone else here), so: fine.

Richard

Richard Bos

Oct 27, 2016, 3:51:18 PM10/27/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> ral...@xs4all.nl (Richard Bos) writes:
>
> > I'm currently undergoing the first pangs of unrecovery[1]
>
> Wait, you've been recovered for an extended time?

Yeah, for years. And some personal problems that didn't help. Being
single is a curse _and_ a blessing - nobody to rely on me, so I could
live off my savings. (Don't ask about unemployment benefits. I'm an
idiot.)
Anyway, after some decidedly unfun times and a crisis, I found myself
forced to accept help - something I am _not_ good at asking for, or even
admitting I need - and so have found myself, recently, in an office
again. Though not, really as a monk, more as a gofer. And maybe web
developer. And /pro tem/ personal assistant. Which I am winging, but
apparently to satisfaction. Eh, it keeps me off the street.

Richard

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 27, 2016, 6:04:25 PM10/27/16
"Richard Bos" <ral...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
I am much relieved. And she'll probably fit; she may well be the more
bastardly of the two of us.

Several years ago, TimC dropped in for breakfast. Being on his way by
motorcycle to Hof, Germany, in the very corner of Bavaria up against the
Sachsen and Czech borders _that same day_, that was all he had time for.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Peter Corlett

Nov 17, 2016, 11:46:13 AM11/17/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
[...]
> So, next week, ASR-AMS, starting out in Het Arendsnest. What time, folks?

Given that I've started taking my Saturday morning lie-in very seriously, late
afternoon/early evening is better for me. So how about 4pm?

Maarten Wiltink

Nov 17, 2016, 2:37:31 PM11/17/16
> Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>> So, next week, ASR-AMS, starting out in Het Arendsnest.
>> What time, folks?

> Given that I've started taking my Saturday morning lie-in very
> seriously, late afternoon/early evening is better for me. So how
> about 4pm?

That would fit nicely beween my afternoon nap and being in bed by ten.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Richard Bos

Nov 18, 2016, 3:08:07 AM11/18/16
Gallian <gal...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> ab...@mooli.org.uk (Peter Corlett) writes:
>
> Is going to cut it a little close with my training. I might turn up
> 15-30 minutes later, but don't let that stop the rest from starting at
> 4.

So tomorrow, and this is the one on the Herengracht, right? There's a
decent chance I'll be there; I have to do my St. Nick's shopping anyway.

Richard

Julian Macassey

Nov 19, 2016, 1:55:37 PM11/19/16
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 20:37:27 +0100, Maarten Wiltink
<maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:

> That would fit nicely beween my afternoon nap and being in bed by ten.

My rule is, if I'm not in bed by ten, I usually go home.

--
"That they’re an armed, racist gang." - Moxie Marlinspike, Rolling
Stone July 31 2016 About the Police