Unrecovery is unrecovery no matter how it's packaged

Cipher

Mar 28, 2015, 2:52:37 PM3/28/15
So, as I wrote in Decemberabout pending unrecovery and possible upward
mobility as a result. Foolish mortal, I am.

What has actually happened was this:

* I am de facto walk up service for people who cannot grok "submit a
ticket"
* The clinic managers refuse to give meaningful information
* It is my fault for not opening tickets when a user does the
aforementioned drive-by and walks away before I can get a name
* I am on call every night AND weekend
* I get to fight the EHR system which is built on a purported database
that is like Access 2.0, only with half the tools and none of the good
design sense
* Determine how far out of compliance with HIPAA/PCI they are
* Do my original job as well

I've been sounding alarm bells for three solid months on all this shit,
and no one in any position to change it is listening. It brought on a
depressive state bad enough that I stopped eating for two days.

The sole upside is I'm potentially in line for a new gig at doing the
work I actually enjoy doing at a 25% pay rise.

I'm considering finding a way to video my boss's reaction when I tell
them I'm leaving. Good luck to them finding another Jvaqbjf and Izjner
engineer and administrator at what they're paying. The only reason I
stayed this long is the work was easy in .edu - and now I actively hate
going to work.

Selah.

--
The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in

Juancho

Mar 28, 2015, 3:43:44 PM3/28/15
Cipher wrote:

> I've been sounding alarm bells for three solid months on all this shit,
> and no one in any position to change it is listening. It brought on a
> depressive state bad enough that I stopped eating for two days.
>
> The sole upside is I'm potentially in line for a new gig at doing the
> work I actually enjoy doing at a 25% pay rise.

I advise you to not leave. Instead, you should enter the "don't give a
fuck mode", and enjoy the scene as it comes crumbling down.

Lawns 'R' Us

Mar 28, 2015, 6:14:26 PM3/28/15
On 2015-03-28, Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> and now I actively hate going to work.

That, of itself, is sufficient reason to start looking for fresh
unrecovery. In my experience, most paid unrecovery is better than
having nothing but unemployment benefits coming in; but it can be a
pretty thin line sometimes.

Best of luck in the new gig.
Message has been deleted

Richard Bos

Mar 28, 2015, 7:15:18 PM3/28/15
Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> * I am on call every night AND weekend

This is illegal in civilised countries; AFAIAA, it is also illegal even
in the USA. _Especially_ in gibberment or semi-gibberment employ.

Richard

mrob...@att.net

Mar 29, 2015, 1:00:00 AM3/29/15
Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> * I get to fight the EHR system which is built on a purported database
> that is like Access 2.0, only with half the tools and none of the
> good design sense

A friend worked as a developer for one of the EHR companies for about 7
years. Part way through it, I asked him: if you got in a car wreck,
woke up in the hospital, and saw your company's software in use on the
PC next to your bed, what would you do? Answer: "Ask to be transferred
to a different hospital."

He recovered from the EHR company and then sought new unrecovery.
Apparently his previous employer had a reputation. He said that the
most common response from HR types in his interviews was, "You *lasted*
seven years there?"

Another friend actually works in hospitals and has to use EHR systems.
I asked her for her 30-second evaluation. For the product of the
company that my friend worked for, she said, basically, that the front-
end UI is better; the doctor doesn't have to re-enter a lot of
information, and making simple orders is quick. But the back-end sucks;
it's hard for the billing people to figure out what the doctor actually
*did*, so they can charge accordingly.

For a competing EHR system, it was pretty much the reverse: the front-
end is horrible, requiring re-entering the same information in multiple
places, and makes the doctor go through several screens to submit
relatively simple orders. But the back-end works a lot better for the
billing department.

All of that is a long way around to say that all software sucks.

Matt Roberds

Cipher

Mar 29, 2015, 9:56:46 AM3/29/15
USA. Civilized Country. Pick one. It's perfectly legal and they don't
have to pay you for it unless you meet specific conditions, which being
at home essentially under house arrest doesn't meet.

On 3/28/2015 3:43 PM, Juancho wrote:
> I advise you to not leave.> Instead, you should enter the "don't give
> fuck mode", and enjoy the scene as it comes crumbling down.

I've already hit IDGAF mode, but not giving a fuck and still being piled
on for shit that's above my pay grade to fix or actively opposed by
management is still a huge stressor.

They do not know yet that an NDA cannot be used to cover up criminal
behavior.
Message has been deleted

Richard Bos

Mar 29, 2015, 10:47:16 AM3/29/15
Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/2015 7:15 PM, Richard Bos wrote:
> > Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> * I am on call every night AND weekend
> >
> > This is illegal in civilised countries; AFAIAA, it is also illegal even
> > in the USA. _Especially_ in gibberment or semi-gibberment employ.
>
> USA. Civilized Country. Pick one. It's perfectly legal and they don't
> have to pay you for it unless you meet specific conditions, which being
> at home essentially under house arrest doesn't meet.

In that case, find a new job and don't tell the old one until the day
_after_ you've started working there.

If this means the poor ickle students won't graduate and face a life of
titlelessness and penury - well, fuck them.

Richard

Cipher

Mar 30, 2015, 8:44:46 PM3/30/15
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: New Employment. +20% income, -50% stress. +10 SAN
points.

Juergen Nickelsen

Apr 1, 2015, 8:28:45 AM4/1/15
Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> writes:

> ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: New Employment. +20% income, -50% stress. +10
> SAN points.

Hey :-)

--
George Bush congratulated Arnie -- what impressed him most:
Schwarzenegger not only won the election, but he also got the

Maarten Wiltink

Apr 6, 2015, 8:48:54 AM4/6/15
"Juancho" <jua...@notarealaddress.org> wrote in message
There's thing thing called, by some, 'professionalism'.

Losing your self-respect does not cure depression.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

The Horny Goat

Apr 6, 2015, 12:26:20 PM4/6/15
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 14:48:51 +0200, "Maarten Wiltink"
<maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:

>>> I've been sounding alarm bells for three solid months on all this shit,
>>> and no one in any position to change it is listening. It brought on a
>>> depressive state bad enough that I stopped eating for two days.
>>>
>>> The sole upside is I'm potentially in line for a new gig at doing the
>>> work I actually enjoy doing at a 25% pay rise.
>>
>> I advise you to not leave. Instead, you should enter the "don't give a
>> fuck mode", and enjoy the scene as it comes crumbling down.
>
>There's thing thing called, by some, 'professionalism'.
>
>Losing your self-respect does not cure depression.

I'm confused - how does getting the chance to work on stuff he
actually enjoys doing equate to losing one's self respect?

I hope he gets it - if he doesn't then what you say makes a lot of
sense.

Maarten Wiltink

Apr 7, 2015, 1:14:46 PM4/7/15
"The Horny Goat" <lcr...@home.ca> wrote in message

>>> I advise you to not leave. Instead, you should enter the "don't give
>>> a fuck mode", and enjoy the scene as it comes crumbling down.

>> There's thing thing called, by some, 'professionalism'.
^^

That's what I get for not proofreading to my usual standard.

>> Losing your self-respect does not cure depression.
>
> I'm confused - how does getting the chance to work on stuff he
> actually enjoys doing equate to losing one's self respect?
>
> I hope he gets it - if he doesn't then what you say makes a lot of
> sense.

Oh, I hope he gets it, too. In fact, by now he's already posted that
he _did_ get it. Hooray! Bunnies and flowers!

But my response wasn't to that. It was to the advice to sit tight and
let things slide.

I find it, well, unprofessional to wilfully allow things to collapse
when you're responsible for at least some of them. Also, I suspect it
won't brighten one's mood after all.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Joe Zeff

Apr 7, 2015, 2:02:51 PM4/7/15
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:14:41 +0200, Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> Also, I suspect it won't
> brighten one's mood after all.

Especially not if it turns out that you're expected to clean the mess up.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

Wojciech Derechowski

Apr 7, 2015, 3:11:37 PM4/7/15
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:02:49 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:14:41 +0200, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
>
>> Also, I suspect it won't
>> brighten one's mood after all.
>
> Especially not if it turns out that you're expected to clean the mess up.

Screw the mood, that's how work ethics works.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

David Scheidt

Apr 7, 2015, 3:35:02 PM4/7/15
Maarten Wiltink <maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:
:"Juancho" <jua...@notarealaddress.org> wrote in message
Self-respect might also cause you to tell someone who wants you to
work 168 hours a week, but who's paying for 40, to go sodomize
themselves with a tunnel boring machine.

--
sig 69
Message has been deleted

Shmuel Metz

Apr 8, 2015, 8:28:43 AM4/8/15
In <55241084$0$2881$e4fe...@news2.news.xs4all.nl>, on 04/07/2015
at 07:14 PM, "Maarten Wiltink" <maa...@kittensandcats.net> said:

>I find it, well, unprofessional to wilfully allow things to
>collapse when you're responsible for at least some of them.

Responsibility means two things: accountability and authority. If you
have the first but not the second, then professionalism does not
require you to bend over, spread your cheeks and smile. In that
situation, "not my department" is appro[priate.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> ISO position
Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.

Cipher

Apr 12, 2015, 11:18:05 AM4/12/15
On 4/7/2015 3:01 PM, Wojciech Derechowski wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:02:49 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:14:41 +0200, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
>>
>>> Also, I suspect it won't
>>> brighten one's mood after all.
>>
>> Especially not if it turns out that you're expected to clean the mess up.
>
> Screw the mood, that's how work ethics works.

My give-a-fuck broke a while ago at that position, but that didn't stop
the onslaught of bullshit in multi-ton loads from piling up.

Thank Zod I never did the alterations to the EHR system[0]. The entire
cock-up of the update of that system[1] would have laid quite firmly in
my lap unless I could prove otherwise, and likely then as well.

[0] Vendor does update. Entire EHR unstable across all sites. Vendor
sits with thumb, arm, and head up ass for two weeks while we get irked
and call daily. Vendor finally responds to me when I email them, "Our
patience with you and your software is at an end."[2]
Solution? Gurl ghearq ba n QYY zbavgbe naq "sbetbg" gb ghea vg bss. Guvf
pnhfrq qbhoyr-qvtvg zvpebfrpbaq qrynlf va gur pber bs gur fuvg-gvre RUE
gung pnhfrq gvzrbhgf.

[1] Rirel qbpgbe unf gurve bja fcrpvnyvmrq "fperra" jvgu gurve
cersreraprf sbe ragrevat cngvrag vasbezngvba. Jr unir 50+ cebivqref.
Abar bs gur fperraf vf qbphzragrq.

[2] Not that I have any power whatsoever to migrate these dumbshits to
an EHR anyone else has used or heard of. Or maintains.

Wojciech Derechowski

Apr 12, 2015, 12:06:24 PM4/12/15
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:18:01 +0000, Cipher wrote:
> On 4/7/2015 3:01 PM, Wojciech Derechowski wrote:
>> Screw the mood, that's how work ethics works.
[..]
> [2] Not that I have any power whatsoever to migrate these dumbshits to
> an EHR anyone else has used or heard of. Or maintains.

I was only trying to annoy Maarten, but wait, didn't you get that new gig
of +20% income and -50% stress by the end of March?

Cipher

Apr 25, 2015, 10:39:16 AM4/25/15
On 4/12/2015 11:55 AM, Wojciech Derechowski wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:18:01 +0000, Cipher wrote:
>> On 4/7/2015 3:01 PM, Wojciech Derechowski wrote:
>>> Screw the mood, that's how work ethics works.
> [..]
>> [2] Not that I have any power whatsoever to migrate these dumbshits to
>> an EHR anyone else has used or heard of. Or maintains.
>
> I was only trying to annoy Maarten, but wait, didn't you get that new gig
> of +20% income and -50% stress by the end of March?

Indeed I did, and now happily about to be released on their clients now.